The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrchee on August 17, 2006, 08:38:48 am

Title: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: mrchee on August 17, 2006, 08:38:48 am
(http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/kingbiff/JumpTheShark.jpg)
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: jough on August 17, 2006, 01:15:23 pm
Oh, dude.  Achewood jumped the shark such as two years ago.  Richie isn't even in the show anymore, replaced by his cousin Roger.

C'mon - you gotta love alt-text that references a board meme.  The strip is now permanently about a baby.  Why not?

Just imagine that today's strip replaced the words "WE RETURN FRIDAY" and it's like a little bonus.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: misterqueue on August 17, 2006, 02:31:36 pm
I assumed it referenced this alt-text (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03222005). 
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: jough on August 17, 2006, 02:33:53 pm
I assumed it referenced this alt-text (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03222005). 

Which, again, was in reference to discussions here.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: misterqueue on August 17, 2006, 02:34:12 pm
Recursion'd!
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 17, 2006, 03:45:16 pm
(http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/kingbiff/JumpTheShark.jpg)

(http://mike.13th-floor.org/onstad-shark.gif)
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: side_show on August 17, 2006, 03:50:52 pm
Oh come on, strips about babies are awesome.  Everybody loves Marvin, and Baby Blues... don't they?  Don't they?

Also, mrchee gets a can for showing me a picture of Fonzie.  Seeing Fonzie makes my day.

edit: Mr Q, if you wanted that to be an acurate image of Onstad, we'd see only knees and feet vaulting over a shark.

Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: misterqueue on August 17, 2006, 03:52:31 pm
edit: Mr Q, if you wanted that to be an acurate image of Onstad, we'd see only knees and feet vaulting over a shark.



Please please never equate me to Bobby again, I'm pretty sure he feels the same way I do about it.. all queasy.  :P
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: theinevitable on August 17, 2006, 03:54:09 pm
so, what am I missing? jumping a shark? fonzie? what is the relation??
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: AugustWest on August 17, 2006, 03:56:49 pm
Google is your friend, young Jedi.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: side_show on August 17, 2006, 04:12:06 pm
so, what am I missing? jumping a shark? fonzie? what is the relation??

Aww, they're so cute when they're young! 

Since you're clearly too busy growing facial hair, here's what you need to know:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark)
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2006, 04:23:29 pm
Aww, they're so cute when they're young! 

Since you're clearly too busy growing facial hair, here's what you need to know:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark)

After reading that he's going to suddenly get a whole slew of jokes and references retroactively. I can think of at least 2 parts on the Simpsons that will suddenly make a lot more sense to him.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: theinevitable on August 17, 2006, 04:46:46 pm
yeah, um, never watched the simpsons at all.

see, that was one of those cases where once I saw the explanation, I remembered hearing something about this before.

my girlfriend's dad almost-literally jumped a shark this past weekend.
it's a long story, but basically he was body surfing, and there was a shark inside the wave. scary.

of course, when he tells the story it takes about 20 minutes.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: slink on August 17, 2006, 05:25:27 pm
After reading that he's going to suddenly get a whole slew of jokes and references retroactively. I can think of at least 2 parts on the Simpsons that will suddenly make a lot more sense to him.

Let alone the more recent Simpsons making a lot more sense in general, or at least having a term to describe it.
Fnar.

Seriously though, everyone argues over when the Simpsons jumped... That's the thing, it's not a universal thing, although I think the fact it did at some point probably almost is.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: mrchee on August 17, 2006, 05:40:54 pm
Pile it on, sycophants.  I wanna see how many I can get


---------


Simpsons jumped a while ago.  It had something to do with a T-shirt gun...
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2006, 05:45:16 pm
Let alone the more recent Simpsons making a lot more sense in general, or at least having a term to describe it.
Fnar.

Seriously though, everyone argues over when the Simpsons jumped... That's the thing, it's not a universal thing, although I think the fact it did at some point probably almost is.

I was talking about the two episodes where the actually show characters jumping sharks.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: slink on August 17, 2006, 08:23:56 pm
I was talking about the two episodes where the actually show characters jumping sharks.

Yes yes, I know. I was trying to be smart... But indeed, look at the big red, sooty mark that is my face.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: Noah on August 17, 2006, 10:17:02 pm
i don't know, achewood has always had its ups and downs. i thought it had been getting worse and worse until like 6 months and it's pretty decent for a while now. but yeah that last two weeks or so have been kind of lame.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 17, 2006, 10:54:14 pm
The cutoff point after which one may complain about an artist or merchant or craftsman's (inter alia) drop in quality is when that drop exceeds the kvetcher's natural, human tendency to have variations in productivity and quality of output. Onstad having a few bad days? Who here can say they've never been "off" for a day, a week, a month, even a year? On the other hand, User Friendly (for example) has consistently been unfunny, far beyond my worst stretches in life.

Jough gets a free pass to complain because he's consistently been a jackass for the past three years, never varying one iota in his ability to heave vitriol upon the slightest of transgressions.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: robot_god on August 17, 2006, 11:33:20 pm
consistently been a jackass for the past three years, never varying one iota in his ability to heave vitriol upon the slightest of transgressions.

Daaaaaaaaaamn.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 17, 2006, 11:37:51 pm
Daaaaaaaaaamn.

No, no! It's a compliment!
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: smick on August 18, 2006, 02:31:38 am
there was a shark inside the wave.

I've had days like that.  "A crap man, shark in my desk drawer, what are ya gonna do."
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: theinevitable on August 18, 2006, 07:33:24 pm
so, it occured to me...

now that that father my girlfriend has jumped a shark, does the rest of his life just get worse and worse?

it would be cool if it did, and it was because he constantly told the shark story.

I mean, it's already getting worse. his daughter is dating a boy who basically made his wife have a mental breakdown because he talked about thongs. Oh shit, that was me! that was both horrible and awesome!
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: robot_god on August 19, 2006, 09:44:06 am

I mean, it's already getting worse. his daughter is dating a boy who basically made his wife have a mental breakdown because he talked about thongs. Oh shit, that was me! that was both horrible and awesome!

You gave a woman a psychotic break by speaking of thongs?

I'll never understand life in the red states.
Title: Re: ACHEWOOD - I hope I'm wrong
Post by: theinevitable on August 19, 2006, 02:54:57 pm
ok, not so much a psychotic breakdown...
the issue was that her son had just purchased a poster for his room. which was a rear view of two nice-looking ladies in thongs. she was completely freaking out. and I tried to lighten the mood by making a few jokes.

the look on her face was such that I said "I think I'll leave now." and then walked out of the house.