The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: FlipConstantine on August 19, 2006, 12:13:40 am

Title: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: FlipConstantine on August 19, 2006, 12:13:40 am
Why?  Because, even though I still haven't seen it, and I'm already tired of it, I think a movie with this epic level of buzz deserves a thread.  I'm going to see it later tonight, and then you will all have my (surely inspired and insightful) thoughts on it.  In the meantime, anyone seen it already?  Is it worth $9 to see Sam Jackson skewer and taser snakes for an hour and a half?
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: wombat on August 19, 2006, 12:18:21 am
I just read that some of the snakes are computer generated. I am heartbroken.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: Ben-San on August 19, 2006, 12:36:01 am
I just read that some of the snakes are computer generated. I am heartbroken.

There were at least enough real snakes for the movie's snake handler to go on a talk show with a bunch of the snakes from the movie. They seemed like okay snakes.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: CortJstr on August 19, 2006, 01:20:28 am
I was a Barnes & Noble today and they had "Snakes on a Sudoku"


I almost wept.


Not with joy.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: slink on August 19, 2006, 01:45:40 am
I was a Barnes & Noble today and they had "Snakes on a Sudoku"


And that ladies and gentlemen...

See my post in the Slither topic... *sigh*
Plus, the review from the critic I like wasn't entirely favourable, having seen the first showing last night.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: Hobot on August 19, 2006, 03:47:51 am
I just saw it, and I can honestly say that, aside from a miniscule portion of the money that went toward my education and possibly the food that has kept me alive, I have never spent $8 better in all my life.  This movie was everything I had hoped for, and so much more.  Think Con Air with snakes, except that nobody making it takes it seriously, so it is just filled with the most over-the-top, ridiculous shit back to back.  Everyone in the theatre burst into applause when the snakes first appeared, and when Samuel L. Jackson delivered quite possibly the best line in the history of cinema: "I am sick of these motherfuckin' snakes on this motherfuckin' plane!"

Hot damn, I am still recovering.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: linnea on August 19, 2006, 03:54:22 am
And I live in a place with no theatre within 800 miles. Go me.

I'm all kinds of stoked to see the movie, since I'm an Overcompensating/Jeffrey Rowland fan (http://wigu.com/overcompensating/2006/07/comic-con-2006-part-three.html). He had that shirt with snakes flying a plane, and now he's some kind of millionaire cowboy poet hacker stuntman who's on the intarwub all the time.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: jough on August 19, 2006, 04:42:55 am
Maybe it was Snakes on a Plane that made J. Ro go Col. Kurtz on us.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: linnea on August 19, 2006, 05:16:04 am
Maybe it was Snakes on a Plane that made J. Ro go Col. Kurtz on us.

Colonel Kurtz? As in Scott Kurtz of PvP fame? I have to admit, I don't get the reference, and I've had enough beer that I'm too lazy to CJ it for myself. Please spoon feed it to me, jough.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: jough on August 19, 2006, 05:20:37 am
I'm thinking of Martin Sheen going Keith Moon on his hotel room in the beginning of Acapulco Calypso Now (it's a dance movie).
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: theinevitable on August 19, 2006, 05:42:04 am
"what's it about?"
"SNAKES ON A MOTHERfuck*ng PLANE!"
"oh. I guess... oh."
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: robot_god on August 19, 2006, 10:02:52 am
I think cinema just did a 1080 snowboard trick over the shark.






The Museum of Moving Image sent me an e-mail:  "Just forget about it, dude.  Game over, man, game over." (http://www.tatugirls.com/)
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: wombat on August 19, 2006, 02:18:28 pm
I am encouraged by Mlle. Hobot's review, although still worried about the computer generated snakes, about which some reviewers have been snarky.  Perhaps they would be less obvious if I wait for the DVD and watch it on a tiny crummy screen?

Also I would like to once again in this more appropriate thread recommend the tshirt. (http://topatoco.com/snakes.htm)
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: side_show on August 19, 2006, 09:40:33 pm
I'm thinking of Martin Sheen going Keith Moon on his hotel room in the beginning of Acapulco Calypso Now (it's a dance movie).

jough.  proving daily why he is the ruler of all things. 
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: linnea on August 21, 2006, 06:00:04 am
I think cinema just did a 1080 snowboard trick over the shark.

(http://static.flickr.com/72/220767629_6b819fa2cb.jpg?v=0)
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: theinevitable on August 21, 2006, 12:20:23 pm
I love how sometimes our threads split, and sometimes they converge.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: Drygioni on August 28, 2006, 04:20:27 pm
I'm not planning on seeing it, but I think SoaP will do pretty decently in Britain. I don't think there's nearly as much general hype, but it's all quite tongue-in-cheek and god knows a send up is something we can all appreciate.

A few weeks ago they had the trailer, and as it finished with the dramatic title reading (Snakes... ON A PLANE) the whole cinema pretty much burst out laughing. It was all new to them, see.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: Doc on August 29, 2006, 05:25:04 am
Saw it, loved it.

Seriously the first movie I have walked away from in ages with no regrets. It just tries to be exactly what it is.
For that matter it helped that I don't think anyone in the movie did anything really obviously stupid, I hate when that happens, but most of the characters were internally consistant.
Title: Re: Snakes On A Motherfuck*ng Plane
Post by: jough on August 29, 2006, 05:28:58 am
I wrote about my love of SoaP somewhere.  I thought it was here.

It completely delivered on everything I'd ever wanted from a film titled Snakes on a Plane.

I haven't laughed harder at a movie in years as when a certain thing happened in this movie.  I was the only one laughing, uncontrollably, and I was getting angry stares and tsks from people around me, which only compelled me to laugh harder.