The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrdna1 on August 23, 2006, 07:23:36 pm

Title: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: mrdna1 on August 23, 2006, 07:23:36 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08232006

Uh, how does one *accidentally* spend an afternoon "watchin' video clips of rally cars plowin' into crowds"?

edit: the last panel is truly a piece of art.

Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: CortJstr on August 23, 2006, 07:29:17 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08232006

Uh, how does one *accidentally* spend an afternoon "watchin' video clips of rally cars plowin' into crowds"?

edit: the last panel is truly a piece of art.



I've spent an afternoon doing things accidentally. Playing Civ IV springs immediately to mind.

Beef was all, "Man, why am I even watching this clip? This is horrible....But I have to see what the title of the next one refers to....I'll just finish watching all the ones on this page I'm already halfway through" then four hours later he calls Ray.
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: Roger on August 23, 2006, 07:31:37 pm
I guess now we know why today's strip was late.

But Freak-Out Beff is always delightful to see.
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: V-Adore on August 23, 2006, 07:36:49 pm
I know I've accidentally spent an afternoon watching videos of kittens wobbling around, so I can see where Beef is coming from on this one.
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: misterqueue on August 23, 2006, 07:38:35 pm
It's good to see Beef being tortured once again for our amusement. 

I myself feel this same exact way any time I accidentally drift over to WebMD.

"MAN I AIN'T GONNA GO TO NO DOCTOR WHAT IF I SUDDENLY HAVE A TUMOR?!"
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: AugustWest on August 23, 2006, 07:39:46 pm
Ladies and Gentlefellows, I give you the Renault Rally Car interior, latest in a long string of Onstad vehicle renderings.  Hurray!
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: slink on August 23, 2006, 08:05:47 pm
Almost in line for Best. Last Panel. Ever.
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: weareas1 on August 23, 2006, 08:47:04 pm
I once accidentally discovered a web comic called Achewood, then accidentally spent the next two days doing nothing but reading all the Achewood archives.

I hope we see more of Rocky the owl.  I like Rocky the owl.  I'm thinking that Blister probably won't like Rocky the owl quite so much.
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 23, 2006, 09:17:37 pm
The hell I'm going to look at that car accident site.

Great strip.

(I was reviewing some GOF strips earlier today, and realized I don't begin sentences with "The hell" enough.)
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: jough on August 23, 2006, 09:21:46 pm
I accidentally spent the afternoon writing a screen scraping script to grab nutritional information from various web sites and parsing the data into a database.

I had only meant to spend about ten minutes on this but then I got carried away as I kept handling one exception after another (paradigm exceptions, not software error exceptions).

Now I'm going to spend some quality time playing with graphing, checking to see if the cool shaded 3D graphs take so much longer than the crappy 2D graphs that it wouldn't be worth adding the nice ones as a feature for this site I'm building.

Man, this 3D graph package is really nice looking.  It would add nine kinds of class to any data I threw at it.  I hope it turns out to be inexpensive for thousands of simultaneous users to use.

Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: Lister on August 23, 2006, 09:29:02 pm
Tangent: I don't understand why anyone goes to stand by a rally track voluntarily.  These cars are operating well beyond the safety envelope, people.

Of course, I also don't understand going to a NASCAR event for some different reasons, so I guess maybe I have some issues with car racing and spectating in general.

What would be quick and somewhat classy?  Some type of chicken/pasta concoction with a simple sauce?
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: vivouk on August 23, 2006, 09:38:22 pm
I love Roast Beef.  :-[
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 23, 2006, 09:41:57 pm
What would be quick and somewhat classy?  Some type of chicken/pasta concoction with a simple sauce?

Pasta caprese (fresh tomato, fresh mozz, basil, a little olive oil & red wine vinegar).
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: Formica on August 23, 2006, 09:42:22 pm

What would be quick and somewhat classy?  Some type of chicken/pasta concoction with a simple sauce?

Formica's quick 'n classy simple chicken and sauce

Prepare a veloute sauce:

Heat 1 cup chicken stock and 1.25 cups Chardonnay to a simmer. Make a roux of 3 Tbsp butter and 3 Tbsp flour, lighty browned, just fragrant. Blend the simmering stock and wine into the roux with a whisk and stir frequently over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add half a cup of finely grated swiss cheese and whisk frequently for 10 minutes.

Set water boiling for your favorite pasta; the sauce clings to penne very nicely.

While the sauce is cooking, cut two medium chicken breasts into cubes and lightly season with salt and pepper. Fry the chicken until just cooked, then dump the chicken into the sauce. Simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta and top with diced green onion. Feeds 4.
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: Hobot on August 23, 2006, 09:45:45 pm
Uh, how does one *accidentally* spend an afternoon "watchin' video clips of rally cars plowin' into crowds"?

You know that saying about something being like a train wreck (so horrifying that you are powerless to look away)?  It's the same principle, but with rally cars rather than locomotives.
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: robot_god on August 23, 2006, 10:04:29 pm
Well, I didn't accidentally spend my time looking at those particular clips (We've had the internet for a long time, I mean really, c'mon, now), but I have made myself late for work while looking at clips on the internet.  Have you guys ever seen Crispin Glover on Letterman in '87?  Damn!
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: MattFish on August 23, 2006, 10:17:42 pm
I love rally racing, so I've often pondered the thought process that convinces a spectator to stand 2 feet to a hunk of metal not only moving at speeds which will obliterate them instantly but also with about 5% traction
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: AugustWest on August 24, 2006, 01:17:47 am
Have you guys ever seen Crispin Glover on Letterman in '87?  Damn!

Saw it when it happened.  What a freak.
Title: Re: 23 Aug 06 - YOU KNOW I GOT NO SENSE OF EGGS
Post by: Roger on August 24, 2006, 07:17:02 pm
Have you guys ever seen Crispin Glover on Letterman in '87?  Damn!
Saw it when it happened.  What a freak.

Apaprently he was doing the same character he had played in a movie at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Y6iCdka_Y