The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: linnea on August 25, 2006, 11:44:33 pm

Title: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: linnea on August 25, 2006, 11:44:33 pm
A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to whomever can CJ that Achewood comic for me. Ray says something about Pluto ain't bein' no planet at all, it's just a pissed off piece of snow. I thought that was particularly appropriate given the recent news concerning Pluto's non-status as a planet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5282440.stm
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2006, 11:47:09 pm
I am very distressed by this.  I understand that there is no reasonable definition of planet that lets in Pluto and not a lot of other stupid things.  But tradition is also important. There is no reason the definition can't have, like, a grandfather clause or something like that.

Just another reason I hate academics.
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: linnea on August 26, 2006, 12:04:22 am
Quote from: Toronto Star Newspaper
Link to newspaper story here (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1156456211546&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724).
"I think something like this opens people up to learning more and exploring more." said Julie Jones, a staff scientist at the Ontario Science Centre.

But, "do we change the exhibits to feature just the eight planets, or do we include the dwarf planets?" Jones said. Jones said yesterday's new OSC poll question, `Will you miss Pluto?' has generated a tremendous response.

"Some people are very nostalgic. But ... we can still love Pluto just as much." 

Heh. Pluto, you will still have a place in my heart! You are a cold, tiny ice-planet that takes 248 years to orbit the sun, but inhabitants of a warm, water-covered planet still hold affection for you!
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: CortJstr on August 26, 2006, 12:22:39 am
A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to whomever can CJ that Achewood comic for me. Ray says something about Pluto ain't bein' no planet at all, it's just a pissed off piece of snow. I thought that was particularly appropriate given the recent news concerning Pluto's non-status as a planet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5282440.stm


http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282004
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: Limmo on August 26, 2006, 12:24:15 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282004

ETA: Shit!
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: misterqueue on August 26, 2006, 01:04:02 am
I am very distressed by this.  I understand that there is no reasonable definition of planet that lets in Pluto and not a lot of other stupid things.  But tradition is also important. There is no reason the definition can't have, like, a grandfather clause or something like that.

Just another reason I hate academics.

You think YOU'RE distressed?  Imagine the Astrologists!  What will they do now?! 
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: V-Adore on August 26, 2006, 02:17:21 am
I'm lobbying for Pluto and Charon to team up and get admitted to the Solar System again as some sort of binary planet-equivalent system. USE YOUR POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, PLUTO AND CHARON! YOU CAN WORK TOGETHER!
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: CortJstr on August 26, 2006, 02:25:52 am
I'm lobbying for Pluto and Charon to team up and get admitted to the Solar System again as some sort of binary planet-equivalent system. USE YOUR POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, PLUTO AND CHARON! YOU CAN WORK TOGETHER!

It was suggested before, but Pluto is against the idea (http://www.brunching.com/conversationpluto.html).
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: robot_god on August 26, 2006, 03:59:42 am
I'm kind of surprised that this has been such a big news item.

But perhaps I shouldn't be.  It seems as if every kid that has ever been has had a childhood interest in the solar system.  For me, the wonder of space greatly trumped the wonder of the world of the dinosaurs.  I doubt I was in the majority, but if a dinosaur species would be reclassified, no way would it be headline news.

Anyway, I wonder if the kids today are still interested in the reaches of space and the history of the earth and all that childhood science, or is all their thinking tied up in da new shit.  Will, "I wonder how big is space?" be replaced by, "I wonder how fast I will be able to download Snakes on a Plane?"
"How long will I have to wait to get a cell phone?"
"Oooo, I wonder how sharp the picture quality will be on my new cell phone."

I dunno.  I don't have young children, nor am I willing to speak with them.



Only while typing this post have I realized the irony of doing reports on the universe in a catholic school.
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: linnea on August 26, 2006, 05:03:12 am
You think YOU'RE distressed?  Imagine the Astrologists!  What will they do now?! 
Well, I guess they will still keep on doing whatever sells Astrology columns in the newspaper, as Bloomberg writes:
Quote from: Bloomberg
Astronomers have banished Pluto to second-class status. Not so astrologists: They're sticking up for the celestial body that had been the smallest planet in our solar system for 76 years.

``I'm going to continue using it,'' said Wall Street's best-known astrologer, Arch Crawford, who has studied the effect of the planets on the Dow Jones Industrial Average. ``They can stick it where the sun don't shine,'' Crawford, 65, said.

The International Astronomical Union's decision yesterday to relegate Pluto to the status of ``dwarf'' planet makes no difference to astrologers, who use planetary positions to predict earthly and human events. About 31 percent of Americans believe in astrology, according to a 2003 Harris Poll of 2,201 adults.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aEzSuJuMfbjk&refer=home
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: misterqueue on August 26, 2006, 11:19:48 am
Well, I guess they will still keep on doing whatever sells Astrology columns in the newspaper, as Bloomberg writes:

Well it's good to see they're as relevant as ever.  I mean, I was really worried there for a second! 
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: wombat on August 26, 2006, 12:35:33 pm
Whether kids are interested or not, I feel sorry for all the school systems that now have obsolete textbooks, posters, models etc. that they can't really afford to replace. 
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: misterqueue on August 26, 2006, 02:16:18 pm
Whether kids are interested or not, I feel sorry for all the school systems that now have obsolete textbooks, posters, models etc. that they can't really afford to replace. 

A good sharpie and a few hours of giving those kids a colouring project could fix that though. 

"Teacher, what's this black blob after Neptune?"

*Teacher hits the Independant Thought Alarm*
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: jough on August 26, 2006, 02:23:12 pm
Oh yeah, like schools don't already have obsolete or completely incorrect textbooks.

Something tells me that Pluto's planetude will remain in question for some time to come.  It'll just be one of those things people constantly debate even in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence, like evolution, the existence of the Holocaust, or whether the Nepalese are genetically inferiour to the Dutch.
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: Lister on August 26, 2006, 06:23:02 pm
Medium Large (http://www.drinkatwork.com/2006/08/comic-for-tuesday-august-15-2006.html) has had some good Pluto strips.  Though some of them might have been metaphors (http://www.drinkatwork.com/2006/08/comics-for-thursday-august-24-2006.html).
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: Doc on August 27, 2006, 03:07:29 am
Just because it's not officially a planet doesn't mean you can't mention it in schools, it just ain't no planet no more. Like the way your great aunt acknowledges your gay brother even though he's not invited to christmas dinner any more.

Quote from: some astrologer
``They can stick it where the sun don't shine,'' Crawford, 65, said.
You mean..... pluto?
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 28, 2006, 02:35:16 pm
My Very Earnest Mother Just Served Us... Noodles?  Nematodes?  Nectarines?  Nothing? 
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 01, 2006, 04:22:10 am
  I must say I've never been happy with Pluto: even as a kid, when I loved astronomy, Pluto seemed out of place. You have four small inner planets, four large outer planets, and then you have Pluto. It's tiny, it's cold, it was named by someone not old enough to drink and it doesn't even orbit the sun correctly. The fact it's not in the Holst suite is some consolation.
  As for astrologers, I've met some that don't include planets past Saturn as the "ancients didn't include them". Also some that include every rock ever named in the solar system. So you can't make everyone happy...
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: slink on September 01, 2006, 08:34:05 am
You wanna watch that astrologer talk in here... We don't take kindly to that kinda thing.
No, but seriously, I hope they weren't consulted!
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: dejavroom on September 01, 2006, 01:25:12 pm
You are a cold, tiny ice-planet that takes 248 years to orbit the sun, but inhabitants of a warm, water-covered planet still hold affection for you!

This was the cutest quote of the week for me. I will give you a tiny can now. There.
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 01, 2006, 07:00:32 pm
You wanna watch that astrologer talk in here... We don't take kindly to that kinda thing.
No, but seriously, I hope they weren't consulted!

  Me too. It's almost too bad Neptune and Uranus weren't named Le Verrier and Herschel after thier discoverers, it might make some interesting horoscopes: "An 18th century English Astronomer is moving into your second house, expect increased tea consumption..."
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: Doc on September 02, 2006, 11:37:52 am
"An 18th century English Astronomer is moving into your second house, expect increased tea consumption..."

Ooh, I like you.
A can sirrah.
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: slink on September 02, 2006, 06:24:31 pm
  Me too. It's almost too bad Neptune and Uranus weren't named Le Verrier and Herschel after thier discoverers, it might make some interesting horoscopes: "An 18th century English Astronomer is moving into your second house, expect increased tea consumption..."

I move this be made valid for our next 'best first post of the year' award shortlist.
Thank you.
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2006, 01:00:59 am
My Very Earnest Mother Just Served Us... Noodles?  Nematodes?  Nectarines?  Nothing? 

Mary   (Mercury)
Visits   (Venus)
Every   (Earth)
Mars*   (Mars)
And     (Asteroid Belt)
Just     (Jupiter)
Stays   (Saturn)
Until     (Uranus)
Noon    (Neptune)


Period   (Pluto)

Knocking off Pluto makes the Mnemonic I learned make MORE sense! Good job, astronomers!

EDIT: This was supposed to say Monday. So sue me. :>
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: V-Adore on September 03, 2006, 09:14:39 am
'Dawg, I presume that's a mistype and that mnemonic does not actually make its memory aid for Mars "Mars?" If so, that's sort of... direct.

The version I like best of the mnemonic crisis is simpler, though: "My Very Elegant Mother Just Served Us Nine... nine what? NINE WHAT?! TELL ME, GODDAMN YOU"
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: slink on September 03, 2006, 05:07:46 pm
My very favourite comments so far on the Pluto issue, including takes on mnemonics.
Here (http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/08/082506.html#).
Title: Re: Pluto: Ain't No Planet, It Really Is Just a Piece of Pissed-Off Snow
Post by: FlipConstantine on September 03, 2006, 06:24:28 pm
My very favourite comments so far on the Pluto issue, including takes on mnemonics.
Here (http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/08/082506.html#).

I love Ze, that show is the light of my life.  A can for you.