The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Drygioni on August 29, 2006, 06:35:05 pm

Title: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Drygioni on August 29, 2006, 06:35:05 pm
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/05/06/Tampabay/Scientology_nearly_re.shtml/ (http://www.sptimes.com/2006/05/06/Tampabay/Scientology_nearly_re.shtml/)

Alright, I know it's easy to make fun of Scientologists, but even by their standards this is a load of bollocks. To be honest, I'm kind of jealous of the guy who runs all this; he has just invented another useless thing for people to give him millions of dollars for, and it looks as if they will pay him with great eagerness.

I mean, nothing appeals to a celebrity more than the idea that they are superior to us common folks, right?
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: FlipConstantine on August 29, 2006, 06:38:18 pm
Quote
Those machines include... A video screen that moves forward and backward while flashing images is used to hone a viewer's ability to identify subliminal messages, they said.

Or, you know, brainwashing, they could use it for that too...
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Drygioni on August 29, 2006, 09:26:03 pm
Or, you know, brainwashing, they could use it for that too...

"Why sir, I can see you're an insightful person! You'd make a great Scientologist. Try what I did, only 10K up front."
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: FlipConstantine on August 29, 2006, 09:51:53 pm
Do I get to meet Beck?
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Drygioni on August 29, 2006, 10:04:42 pm
Do I get to meet Beck?

The hell? Beck's a Scientologist? Christ, that's terrifying.

(I promise to stop posting in my own thread for a bit now)
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: jough on August 30, 2006, 03:40:59 pm
The hell? Beck's a Scientologist? Christ, that's terrifying.

What did you think "The New Pollution" meant?
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: smick on August 30, 2006, 05:01:59 pm
I try to be open minded, but I went to a Beck concert just after I learned that he was rocking the Operating Thetan levels.

I just didn't enjoy it.   The concert had no energy or life.   Beck phoned it in.   Part of me suspects that my disenjoyment comes from the Xenu Connection.  (Its also possible that the Flaming Lips headlining the night before made it impossible for Beck to win my heart.)
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 31, 2006, 01:49:50 am
The hell? Beck's a Scientologist? Christ, that's terrifying.
Unlike most of his colleagues, he was raised in it, so he has an excuse.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: slink on August 31, 2006, 02:13:19 am
Unlike most of his colleagues, he was raised in it, so he has an excuse.

I'm not sure there's technically any excuse for Scientology, but he has a better one than most for sure. Except that he apparently wasn't particularly a follower until more recently. Strikes me that he should have known better.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Doc on August 31, 2006, 02:48:09 am
Yeah being brought up with a particular religion, especially over the last couple of decades in addition to being a rockstar, doesn't that mean he should be rebelling against it pretty hardcore? Like giant inflatable Xenu on stage etc?
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 01, 2006, 02:43:15 am
I meant that he has more of an excuse than most people.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: theinevitable on September 01, 2006, 02:52:31 am
no no no. You're missing it. He rejects scientology, the faith of his youth, and then is drawn back to it as he gets older. that is how it works.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Doc on September 01, 2006, 03:40:55 am
So now he's going to be what? Scientologies Van Morrison? Or more Hootie and blowgiraffe?
Just so long as it's not scientology's Creed, we don't need that.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: theinevitable on September 01, 2006, 04:17:54 am
scientology's cat stevens.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Doc on September 02, 2006, 11:36:10 am
Nah because Cat stevens wasn't born into it. Tom Cruise is scientologie's cat stevens.

The name change was such a bummer too, Cat Stevens is such a wonderful name, Yusaf Islam is just blah, and since it has the word Islam In it I just feel like he's trying too hard.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 02, 2006, 03:57:29 pm
Yeah being brought up with a particular religion, especially over the last couple of decades in addition to being a rockstar, doesn't that mean he should be rebelling against it pretty hardcore? Like giant inflatable Xenu on stage etc?
That's not the way being a rock star works any more. Playing rock music ain't any kind of rebellious except that it's a difficult way of making a living.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: linnea on September 02, 2006, 09:12:06 pm
I was raised listening to Cat Stevens, and I was shocked when my mom told me about his weird ass break and wishing that all his previous recordings could be destroyed. Also, I can't believe that Beck's a Scientologist. That's just creepy.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: pmcd9 on September 05, 2006, 03:11:36 pm
Aww Crap.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: jough on September 05, 2006, 03:14:48 pm
Actually, the Cat Stevens thing was mostly not a problem - he was just unhappy with how the music business affected him.  He said recently that he is happy if people enjoy his music, and he was even involved with the production of his boxed set.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: innes on September 05, 2006, 03:55:27 pm
Mad Scinetogoly Skillz:

Perception of having perceived (past and present)
Awareness of not knowing


D. Rumsfeld:

because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

Beck Lyric:
Norman Schwartzkopf
Something tells me you want to go home
Champagne, bibles
Custom clothes you own
Calling up from special area codes



The insidious web of connections... diabolical... simply diabolical.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Doc on September 06, 2006, 12:16:07 am
It. All. Fits.

Seriously if the conspiracy that are controlling the world turn out to be scientologists I'ma be pissed.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: theinevitable on September 06, 2006, 12:40:42 am
man... the Jews really dropped the ball, huh?
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Doc on September 06, 2006, 03:37:24 am
The jewish illuminati masons you mean?
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: theinevitable on September 06, 2006, 05:44:00 am
yes.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: Fooker on September 11, 2006, 05:21:39 pm
If I found out I had a terminal illness, I would do whatever it takes to ensure Scientology did not outlive me.
Title: Re: Super Scientologists... Unleashed
Post by: side_show on September 12, 2006, 12:52:01 am
 Speaking of "terminal" and Scientology (http://whyaretheydead.net/room174.html) (warning: link is SFW, but several links are NSFW).