The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: sailor on September 03, 2006, 09:30:13 pm

Title: unlocking cell phones
Post by: sailor on September 03, 2006, 09:30:13 pm
so i have this phone i want to unlock. but i'm pretty weary of the online services that do this. they either want you to send them yr phone or they want some crazy amout of dollars to send you unlocking codes. the whole thing just kinda smells. I know you can sometimes get the code from your service provider, but i've heard you have to be a "customer in good standing". I'm not anywhere near that. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: Drygioni on September 03, 2006, 09:36:57 pm
What phone do you have? I might be able to help with certain brands.

It's a long shot, but if you are a UK resident you can normally get your phone unlocked at the umpteen little stalls in markets that sell mobile phone paraphernalia. I have never heard of these operating in the US, but you might get lucky.

Good luck, sailor.
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: sailor on September 03, 2006, 09:59:21 pm
It's a motorola SLVR L7 from cingular. I wish we had booths like that here, but it would never happen.
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: slink on September 03, 2006, 10:47:35 pm
I know when I've had to, I've managed to find something via google. Getting past all the places that want money or your phone, you can tend to find somewhere that will give you the key commands it takes to actually unlock the things.
I unlocked a couple of the older Motorolas this way.
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: jough on September 04, 2006, 07:56:39 am
Try the Howard Forums and post something in the appropriate place.  There are a lot of people who work for the phone companies there and a lot of them are willing to do unlocks for cheap or sometimes for free.  I got a Boost phone unlocked for Nextel before and the dude just sent me instructions and an unlock code gratis.

It's worth a shot.
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: sailor on September 04, 2006, 06:09:57 pm
i guess i could try that, but howards forums is full of guys like me who just want their phones unlocked for free and we tend to be frowned upon by the cell-fetish community.
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: linnea on September 04, 2006, 08:56:04 pm
My sister gave me a ridiculously cute phone that I want to have unlocked, but there are claims that they have to use a physical device to help unlock it in addition to the codes. I think it's shite. In the meanwhile, I will just buy unlocked phones on eBay, like my current pink RAZR.
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: robot_god on September 04, 2006, 11:43:42 pm
like my current pink RAZR.

The two dudes I knew with the Raz
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: sailor on September 05, 2006, 01:09:58 am
The two dudes I knew with the Raz
  • r totalled both of them on the same day from very minor traumas.
my friend dropped his from a hieght of maybe 20 in. and the screen broke off. J-A-N-K-Y.
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: linnea on September 05, 2006, 05:52:27 am
Maybe it's because I'm a lady and I tend to be careful with delicate stuff. Mine is in fabulous condition, but then again I always keep it in a zippered pocked on my person, or if my outfit does not have a zippered pocket, I place it in a zippered pocket in my purse. That thing cost too much money for me to break it.

The key is that if I spend two hundred bucks on a telephone, I make sure that it does not get dropped.

I also have a $900 Fire/EMS radio, but unfortunately that thing's been dropped more times than I can count. Fortunately those things are made to be firefighter-proof, so it still works great.
Title: Re: unlocking cell phones
Post by: sailor on October 01, 2006, 09:15:22 am
BTW, i did it. YEA for craigslist. I found some guy who worked at a tmobile booth a few towns south who supplimented his income by unlocking phones at work. he did mine for 30 bucks, which was super resonable considering the only way to unlock my particular phone is to open the damn thing up, use a dremmel tool to cut into a certain part, connect a wire to that part and then plug the whole thing in a computer with some unlocky program. and then put the tiny little delicate thing back together. not bad.