The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on September 04, 2006, 08:01:41 pm

Title: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 04, 2006, 08:01:41 pm
I have a lot of these. Someone take one, please. Familiarize yourself with torrents and port forwarding and don't cheat your ratio, or I lose 'em all.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 04, 2006, 08:16:46 pm
I use oink, too!

except, I am afraid to use it here! Also, my computer died. I am in a computer lab.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: Roger on September 04, 2006, 08:24:41 pm
I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm interested.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 04, 2006, 08:32:42 pm
It is a filesharing (music and software mostly) community that uses bittorrent software. It has high standards for the quality of the mp3 etc. rips. It is kind of a silly place, but it's useful. Oh yeah, it's by invitation only, which is why I am trying to give these invites out.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: Roger on September 04, 2006, 09:01:05 pm
Cool, I'm in. I promise to use it wisely.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 04, 2006, 09:14:56 pm
I'm not familiar with Oink but I'm in.  I'm obsessive about mp3 quality and always keep at least a 1:1 ratio.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 04, 2006, 09:15:24 pm
Oh, and if anyone wants a TorrentLeech.org invite, let me know.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 04, 2006, 09:21:31 pm
Just PM me your email addresses, boys.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 06, 2006, 01:14:07 am
If anyone asked for one and hasn't received it yet, check your spam folder.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: Roger on September 06, 2006, 03:25:43 am
I got it and am already logged in. Thanks, JF.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 06, 2006, 04:48:30 am
I'm on and trading now.

The community seems kinda small, though, which means that there aren't a lot of seeding opportunities to up my ratio.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 06, 2006, 04:56:37 am
It's a matter of timing. New, popular torrents obviously provide the most opportunity for upping. If you d/l on the back end of a torrent's life, then it's hard to upload.

The other thing is, there are some seeders on there that really get off on having a super-high ratio. Obviously they need to feed off people with low ratios to some extent, so it's hard to elbow your way in to establish yourself.

If it ends up not working out and you get banned for having a low ratio, no big deal. If that seems bound to happen, I might suggest going hog wild in the interim so at least you get some use out of it.

hxxp://oink.me.uk/ratiowatch.php
Here's a table of the ratio requirements, in case anyone missed them.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 06, 2006, 05:41:16 am
I just don't want to get you in "trouble" if I get banned for a bad ratio.  Two of my recent uploads are getting some traction, so I should be up to at least 1.0 by tomorrow, above which I'll stay.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: CortJstr on September 06, 2006, 01:24:03 pm
All the arcane ratio rules at the torrent sites have basically scared me over to eMule. There it only matters that your upload is at least 10MB/s and that you aren't using a leecher client.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 06, 2006, 05:47:36 pm
I just don't want to get you in "trouble" if I get banned for a bad ratio.  Two of my recent uploads are getting some traction, so I should be up to at least 1.0 by tomorrow, above which I'll stay.
Yeah, there's no problem for me if one of my invitees gets banned. It's happened a couple times before. They only trouble is if I invite them again.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 06, 2006, 07:08:18 pm
Well, it seems that the ban-ratio is really low at this particular site - so it should be really easy to not get banned as long as I let things run a little after downloading, or maybe upload somethings from time to time.  I have a lot of rare live stuff, so maybe that'll help.

I generally try to only upload stuff that has no commercial value.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 06, 2006, 10:24:00 pm
I'm pretty sure you can't upload live stuff. only actual albums.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 06, 2006, 10:30:33 pm
I can and do upload live bootleg albums.  Oink just stipulates in their rules that the boots be soundboard-only recordings, which all of mine are.

So there. :P
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2006, 01:57:22 am
oh. anything I should check out? (in a few months when I go home for thanksgiving and can download music without being brutally executed in public?)
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 07, 2006, 03:27:00 am
Um, I don't know.  I have a lot of Zappa and Phish boots, an insane amount of great old R.E.M., and some Counting Crows that I may or may not post.

I have a lot of out of print stuff and some really obscure yet great stuff too, like Shoukichi Kina and Whale.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: Noah on September 07, 2006, 05:24:48 pm
can i have one jorgefabregas
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 07, 2006, 06:05:17 pm
Ok, I am tapped out on these. Another poster has dibs for the one I get on the 16th of the month, and Noah on the one I get on the 2nd--if they're still interested, of course.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 07, 2006, 06:37:33 pm
I should have some invites by the end of the month too, either by upping my ratio or by just donating and getting some invites that way.

Rock.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2006, 11:16:16 pm
I have invites. PM me with your email address. I have 10 invites, people.

noah-- I sent you one. please don't do anything dick-ey with this power.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: Noah on September 08, 2006, 04:33:29 am
thank you theinevitable.

i will not do anything dickey i promise!
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 12, 2006, 08:07:22 am
I have downloaded a random Fall album and the 3 new Pulp reissues.  However, there are like 175 people uploading on all of the pulps and like no one will ever download that Fall album.  How do I get my transfer rate up?  I have just gone through a really heavy downloading stage and don't really want any albums right now.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 12, 2006, 03:17:47 pm
Keith, the best way to up your ratio is to upload something that's not already on the site.

That seems to be increasingly difficult, though.  Man, this place has everything.  I even found some obscure Okinawan music I have figuring "No one will have this!" and sure enough it was already on there.  :(

In any event, I'm trying to fill in some gaps now.  I've posted a few bootleg live albums and some out of print stuff from some record labels that are no more.  I know these things don't drop into the public domain just because the label is out of business, but it does mean that there's no one left to sue me.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 12, 2006, 04:54:28 pm
mann. I love that Okinawan music is on there, but then when I actually want to find something... it isn't there. huh.

also: after a while, people stop seeding things, and they disappear. I think.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: Noah on September 13, 2006, 12:15:42 am
what really shot my ratio up may have just been either my really fast internet or luck. this new leaked of montreal album had just been put up and i figured it would be in pretty high demand, so i downloaded it right away and was the first person to have it after the original seed because i was downloading at like 700 kb/s for some weird reason. and my ratio for that torrent alone is like almost 4 now.

also there is a requests section, and you can search in it to see what people want. i just went through some of my dad's old records and searched for requests on some of the old/obscure looking ones and uploaded a couple.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: afterMonday on September 13, 2006, 05:08:11 am
An Oink invie sent this way would be extremely appreciated..


Could you please send me one?
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2006, 05:16:45 am
An Oink invie sent this way would be extremely appreciated..


Could you please send me one?

First post begging is not a good sign.  Take a few pointers from this guy (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3128.0.html).

~Paul
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 13, 2006, 05:30:55 am
Yeah, I think these invites are "vouched for" kinda deals, aren't they?  How can we vouch for you if we do not know you?

Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 13, 2006, 05:41:29 am
Man, you are right about not being able to find stuff to put on Oink.  That place is crazy.  Everything I could ever dream of having is on there.  I didn't even know I wanted anymore music until I found Oink. 
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 13, 2006, 08:19:51 am
An Oink invie sent this way would be extremely appreciated..
Invie: Run of the mill typo or inappropriate cutesifying? Can we get a ruling?
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: afterMonday on September 13, 2006, 10:45:32 am
Definitely a typo. =)


Sorry about that, it was 2 in the morning and my eyes were still kind of messed up from my eye exam that had happened a few hours earlier. 
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 13, 2006, 01:42:26 pm
I concur - "invie" is just *too* cute.  No one would actually type that, would they?

I must say, though, that the long-eyed emoticon isn't adding to the mystique.

JURY IS STILL OUT ON THIS ONE
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 13, 2006, 02:41:03 pm
I sent ms "tuesday" an invie, as she requested. I have gone out on a limme for her.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: CortJstr on September 13, 2006, 05:13:11 pm
I sent ms "tuesday" an invie, as she requested. I have gone out on a limme for her.

You only did it because of the cute glasses avatar, didn't you? You've been hanging out with Q too much.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 13, 2006, 05:30:30 pm
Seriously, dude.  Get some college tail and then come back here and post like a man.

Sheesh.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 13, 2006, 06:06:34 pm
no, I just really want to get rid of the goddamn invites. they've been sitting there for forever.

also, what's to say I'm not getting tonnes of college tail?

if by college tail you mean listening to Palestrina and translating Latin until 2 AM.

edit: a crass joke which I was not entirely comfortable making has been removed.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2006, 06:16:15 pm
This thread was pretty boring until Tuesday showed up.  You're in gal.

~Paul
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 13, 2006, 11:32:12 pm
The first year of college is the hardest, just make sure you do it and you will adapt fine.  I have an 8 page paper do in a day that I haven't started on, but it will be easy now, since I have been doing this for the previous three years.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: wombat on September 14, 2006, 01:16:33 am

edit: a crass joke which I was not entirely comfortable making has been removed.

'Listening to Palestrina' - so that's what you kids are calling it these days.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2006, 01:29:38 am
well, i mean, listening to Palestrina is pretty wank-ey. and, it makes me tune out the outside world and do my work.

and, I borrowed the CD from a cute girl on my hall. Damn.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 14, 2006, 07:20:32 am
I don't remember the joke, but it was something about jerking off, right?

Yeah, I wouldn't want that on the 'net either.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: afterMonday on September 14, 2006, 10:41:42 am
I sent ms "tuesday" an invie, as she requested. I have gone out on a limme for her.


I didn't get it..   =(



Also, I spent a better portion of yesterday studying for a history exam and now I can't remember any of it. eek
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 14, 2006, 02:05:16 pm
If someone would like to rip a copy of Aimee Mann's Bachelor No. 2 in MP3 format and put it up, I will help your ratio. I can't find my copy at the moment.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 14, 2006, 03:01:54 pm
You got it, dude.

Oh, drat.  I only have it in 160kbps, though.  Damn my old ways!

You could always get the FLAC and then convert it yourself, of course.  That's the beauty of lossless.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 14, 2006, 03:20:56 pm
Yeah, but then I waste ratio and time downloading and tagging. I expect other people to do the work for me, obviously. I like the convenience of MP3s--FLAC only makes sense to me for a bootleg or vinyl transfer.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 14, 2006, 03:37:26 pm
I'm doing some kind of thing.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 14, 2006, 03:37:55 pm
Awesome.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 14, 2006, 04:04:16 pm
Remember that thing we talked about?  Enjoy.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 14, 2006, 04:09:57 pm
Excellent. Thank you.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2006, 04:25:19 pm
you didn't get it? am I using the wrong email?

I sent it to "silentxgloom@suckmycock,botsmail.com"
except it was "hotmail.com." is this wrong?
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: jough on September 14, 2006, 04:45:59 pm
Little dude just told spam harvester bots to suck his cock.

THEY GROW UP SO FAST THESE DAYS
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: afterMonday on September 14, 2006, 07:07:33 pm
yeah, that's the right email address...I don't know why it didn't work.  There isn't anything in the spam folder and it doesn't delete anything in there for 5 days or something.

I have a gmail account if that would work better, but you don't have to send another one if you don't want to. 
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2006, 09:48:45 pm
the cool thing I just discovered: I can RETRACT my original invite. so, I can send it to the other email. if you want.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: afterMonday on September 14, 2006, 09:56:09 pm
I would like that.  =)

the email address is like my other one just at gmail.com.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 15, 2006, 02:46:49 am
Someone on here whose name ends in "ink" also has a hotmail address and has not claimed their Oink invite. I assume it (the invite) suffered a similar fate?
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: slink on September 15, 2006, 08:45:41 am
Someone on here whose name ends in "ink" also has a hotmail address and has not claimed their Oink invite. I assume it (the invite) suffered a similar fate?

Umm... I can't think of anyone else having a name ending as such. So, thanks, I did accept the invite, and have been using the site, and am in fact right now downloading things.
I've just been wondering the last week what I am going to upload, as I have been grabbing thinsg no one else is downloading.

If it's not me... Thanks anyway.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: afterMonday on September 15, 2006, 10:50:54 am
=)  I got the invite.

At thanksgiving, this is going to be what I say I'm thankful for.


so..thanks!
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 15, 2006, 01:17:39 pm
Wait, it wasn't slink. Wrong hotmail person. It was a poster whose name rhymes with MoodyIsADickSlap!
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: Drygioni on September 15, 2006, 02:57:02 pm
Wait, it wasn't slink. Wrong hotmail person. It was a poster whose name rhymes with MoodyIsADickSlap!

Apologies, Jorge. As far as I can tell, it probably ended up in the Junk folder and I didn't check in time. That's pretty crap of me, so it's cool if you don't want to send another invite, if you have any left. Rest assured that if you do, though, I'll have it sorted quick as anything.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 15, 2006, 03:25:18 pm
Well, I have no problem sending it again. Do you want it sent to the same address?
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: Drygioni on September 15, 2006, 03:33:22 pm
That would be fantastic. Many thanks.
Title: Re: Oink invites
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 18, 2006, 09:17:16 pm
Judy, Judy, Judy. I think the invite got lost in the ether again. It's possible it's some inherent problem with hotmail and it never got to your spam folder, even.