The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Drygioni on September 06, 2006, 04:26:31 pm

Title: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Drygioni on September 06, 2006, 04:26:31 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09062006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09062006)

I love Teodor's gradually changing expression as he realises what's going on in the last few panels. It's really quite a subtle touch but it's one of those things you note happily.

Onstad once again proves his unnerving character design pedigree. You can feel how sinister that dang dog is.

(Better suggestions for title are welcome as usual)

EDIT: I checked Wikipedia for a Magreaux dog, and somebody has already written an article for them. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magreaux_dog) That's probably creepier than anything Onstad can come up with.
Title: Sept 6 2006 - I mean this dog was _walking_
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 06, 2006, 04:30:19 pm
  http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09062006

  Okay, I'm missing something here. Is a Magreaux dog an Achewoodism or is there some bizzare bit of folklore I missed? Hopefully this might lead to an good arc, though I'm a little baffled at the strip.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 06, 2006, 04:32:32 pm
Agh, sorry I was posting while you were, so now there are two threads on this. :-[
Could a mod be nice enough to delete mine?
 
Edit: Thanks to which ever mod merged the two threads, that was neat.  ;D
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: CortJstr on September 06, 2006, 04:39:01 pm
It's like Calvalcade of Great Ray Expressions today.

Maybe Ray's even wrong about what it means. Maybe this means he'll finally have a successful act on his label. Or at least one that can remember who he is.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: slink on September 06, 2006, 04:41:07 pm
I wish Ray would blubber more often. That final panel is fantastic.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 06, 2006, 06:00:42 pm
The sychophants on the Internet message board grasp at straws to justify the nonexistent humor of a collection of sentences and drawings that MAKES NO SENSE because DRUGS WERE INVOLVED.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: CortJstr on September 06, 2006, 06:02:02 pm
Tomorrow: Ray finds another hair in his nachos. And he really wanted those nachos.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2006, 06:15:11 pm
The sychophants on the Internet message board grasp at straws to justify the nonexistent humor of a collection of sentences and drawings that MAKES NO SENSE because DRUGS WERE INVOLVED.


Whoa!  Bobby's channeling Jough!
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2006, 06:16:23 pm
That was a weird strip.  It sucks as a one-off, but if it's setting up an arc it has potential. 

Why is it Ray's dog?  Why couldn't it be Beef's dog?
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 06, 2006, 06:21:13 pm
I guess because Ray saw it first?

Ray should be going A BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 06, 2006, 06:21:29 pm
Whoa!  Bobby's channeling Jough!

I figured out that it was proximity to Philly that makes one a royal asshole. I recently was in Jough's neck of the woods. There's some residual anger.


Jough I want my $50 and my innocence back.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Drygioni on September 06, 2006, 06:33:59 pm
Why is it Ray's dog?  Why couldn't it be Beef's dog?

If this isn't a rhetorical question, it can't be Beef's dog because the dog is trying imitate Ray. Ray knows his time has come because the dog looks like him.

I reckon Beef's first sight upon exiting the womb would have been a Magreaux dog. It fits.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: jough on September 06, 2006, 07:06:16 pm
See, Bobby, I told you, man.  Philly makes people angry, even if they're just passing through.

This strip was unfunny, but it's pretty weird and doesn't seem to be based on anything.  I'm all for strangeness in general as long as it pays off, like Cartilege Head or the Great Outdoor Fight.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 06, 2006, 07:39:48 pm
See, Bobby, I told you, man.  Philly makes people angry, even if they're just passing through.

This strip was unfunny, but it's pretty weird and doesn't seem to be based on anything.  I'm all for strangeness in general as long as it pays off, like Cartilege Head or the Great Outdoor Fight.

Well, it's obvious that this is an arc setup, but it's kind of dumb, too.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: V-Adore on September 06, 2006, 09:02:54 pm
This is not a funny strip, no, but the entire idea of a dog clumsily imitating your appearance and behavior -- even to the point of trying to walk, at which point it falls down and starts to sob -- is incredibly unnerving, especially when it's a portent of Bad Things. If this is the beginning of an arc, it could very well be interesting.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: FlipConstantine on September 06, 2006, 09:40:16 pm
What are you people talking about?  Suffering animals are always funny.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: wombat on September 06, 2006, 10:07:47 pm
I like it when we find out some kind of folklore like this, that we've never heard about but that clearly always existed in their world.  Like the Great Outdoor Fight was.  I am a sucker for this sort of thing.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Bn1 on September 06, 2006, 10:09:20 pm
This is not a funny strip, no, but the entire idea of a dog clumsily imitating your appearance and behavior -- even to the point of trying to walk, at which point it falls down and starts to sob -- is incredibly unnerving, especially when it's a portent of Bad Things. If this is the beginning of an arc, it could very well be interesting.

The dog trying to drink from a straw is definitely sinister..
I agree this could lead to an interesting arc.

First post btw - hello everyone.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: FlipConstantine on September 06, 2006, 10:12:05 pm
First post btw - hello everyone.

Can I pretend that your nick stands for "Big Naked One"?  Because that would make me laugh.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 06, 2006, 10:18:05 pm
 I'm thinking it stands for Bassoon 1, as in first bassoonist.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: theinevitable on September 06, 2006, 10:22:10 pm
goodness, this is a creepy one.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: sailor on September 06, 2006, 10:37:38 pm
I think Onstad saw another person that had his characteristics (maybe when he was high) and channeled the drama into Ray.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Doc on September 06, 2006, 10:56:58 pm
This wasn't funny for me at first but the whump, just the slow teetering but completely incompetant collapse is causing me to chuckle, chortle even.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Bn1 on September 06, 2006, 11:48:45 pm
Can I pretend that your nick stands for "Big Naked One"?  Because that would make me laugh.

Feel free to assign any meaning you like.  Think of it as a blank wall on which to project your thoughts.
I wish I could play the bassoon.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: sailor on September 06, 2006, 11:54:09 pm
Feel free to assign any meaning you like.  Think of it as a blank wall on which to project your thoughts.
I wish I could play the bassoon.

you hold 51% or more of Barnes and Noble stock?
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: oball on September 07, 2006, 12:04:57 am
My favourite bit is the little sob the dog gives after it falls over.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 07, 2006, 01:42:30 am
What are you people talking about?  Suffering animals are always funny.

  I think I've uncovered your favorite childhood comic:

(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Godzilla_violist/Kryptosadism1.jpg)
(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Godzilla_violist/Kryptosadism2.jpg)
(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Godzilla_violist/Kryptosadism3.jpg)
(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Godzilla_violist/Kryptosadism4.jpg)

  And no, I have no idea what's with Krypto's lust puppy expression in that third to last spaceship panel...

 
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2006, 01:44:24 am
the more I think about this, the more horrifying it is.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: Dexter on September 07, 2006, 06:02:06 am
the more I think about this, the more horrifying it is.
Is it really that it's horrifying, or is it merely that others have talked up the horror so that, upon revisiting it, it seems much worse than it did initially?

Actually, I'd have to agree that it is pretty horrifying.  Not the Magreaux dog specifically, but just the thought of seeing a pale simulacrum of oneself just hanging out on the street like that.  Especially if it tried and failed to do something as simple as walking.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2006, 06:03:26 pm
no. it's the image of the creepy dog, and it trying to use the straw, and then trying to walk. jeepers creepers.
Title: Re: 6th of September, 2006 - Oh man, it's a Magreaux dog!
Post by: lokier on September 08, 2006, 03:34:08 am
I can honestly see Onstad starting the whole thing by just drawing this magreaux face.  His teeth remind me of every attempt I ever made at drawing Wolverine in elementary school.