The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrdna1 on September 08, 2006, 04:40:27 am

Title: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: mrdna1 on September 08, 2006, 04:40:27 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09082006

Haha, the Ray crisis has been averted. Now about Pat?

edit: Lyle's "I'm gettin' up there in years" is really what makes this strip.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: ananke on September 08, 2006, 04:43:56 am
I love the "I can't start the machine without three men. The Japanese." Just saying "The Japanese" in a firm tone is a perfect explanation or reason for anything.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: linnea on September 08, 2006, 04:51:54 am
Heh, a class act all around. That strip made me laugh. The thought of a Japanese prostate/colonoscopy tech asking about Lyle's gonzo shoots and the resultant effect on his backside is just fuckin' classic. I love it.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: mrdna1 on September 08, 2006, 04:52:55 am
The more I re-read this strip, the more I like it. Dr. Andretti is probably one of my favorite second-tier characters just because of how dry his speech and mannerisms are, especially when contrasted with the flat-out weirdness of the rest of the strip ... the various Sanryobuki devices, for example, or his nonchalant reaction to Ray's pube-plucking (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10092003).
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: linnea on September 08, 2006, 04:55:47 am
My other favorite is Lyle toting around his beloved bottle even at the doctor's office. That's hardcore, Lyle.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: theinevitable on September 08, 2006, 05:13:19 am
man. that is intense. what a bitch.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: jough on September 08, 2006, 06:01:20 am
The technician recognizing Lyle's ass from his gonzo videos had me laughing out loud.

Now Ray needs to retaliate with some low shenanigans of his own.

Class.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: V-Adore on September 08, 2006, 06:12:54 am
I eagerly await Ray's retaliation shenanigans. That's classic.

And I hadn't initially thought that the final panel represented the Japanese tech actually recognizing Lyle's colon from his gonzo shoots; I had assumed it was more in the sense that Lyle had screwed up his colon/prostate doing something typical of gonzo shoots, and the Japanese tech (with a naturally keen eye for porn-related injuries) picked up on that. Regardless, I think we all have to admit that that final panel is a thing of beauty.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 08, 2006, 06:18:11 am
I have to say... I think the title for this one was supposed to be...

"I think he's saying... acting?"

But a good strip across the board. I imagine Onstad, in front of a fireplace with a snifter of cognac, swirling the amber fluid and chuckling to himself, everytime we... the people on this board... start predicting where his storylines are heading and then... bam.

Bensington Butters.

This is now the term for when Onstad swerves TOUAMB on where a plot is going, I reckon, or any situation where the popular prediction for a series or events is upturned by something unpredicted but completely in character with the logic of the setting.

"Did you see where Ric Flair was gonna shake Hogan's hand and then he totally bodyslammed him?"

"Yeah, man. Total full-on Besington Butters."
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: jough on September 08, 2006, 06:18:20 am
Oh, I don't know. I see prostate exam technicians as being connoisseurs of the prostate, and watching ass-related videos, all of which are considered "porn" in our stolid society.

I mean, you would be surprised if sports medicine techs didn't see last night's big game, right?
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: Color_Me_Brad on September 08, 2006, 11:23:54 am
Yes. This strip was perfect. A quick, silly ending to what had been a scary, disturbing arc. The ending is just hilarious. Poor Teodor. ;D
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: dejavroom on September 08, 2006, 11:39:45 am
Since it looks like it's gonna have to be me that's gonna have to point out Mr. Bear's little bubble butt, let's have it done with at once: Please notice Mr. Bear little bubble butt.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2006, 11:53:22 am
I imagine Onstad, in front of a fireplace with a snifter of cognac, swirling the amber fluid and chuckling to himself, everytime we... the people on this board... start predicting where his storylines are heading and then... bam.

Indeed.  I kept wanting to tell you all to shush yesterday, but I knew it never works.

I think V is right on this one, the tech is not recognizing Lyle's ass in particular, but the usual effects of... "acting".  I mean, can Lyle's porn really be sold as far away as Japan?  I think of it as more the kind of thing that changes hands in dark alleys.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: CortJstr on September 08, 2006, 01:05:30 pm
They don't even get privacy dividers? That's just cold.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: mrchee on September 08, 2006, 02:25:15 pm
I guess in the land of Japan-Man they get colon and/or prostate exams lying on their backs.  They do a lot of things funny over there


2nd panel is truly a thing of wonder

By the way.  Ray is clearly NOT wearing his thong in the early panels with the smock.  Then he rips the smock off.

Make your own conclusions
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 08, 2006, 03:23:34 pm
I mean, can Lyle's porn really be sold as far away as Japan?  I think of it as more the kind of thing that changes hands in dark alleys.

Sadly, the days of porn (or any tantilizingly rare thing) being a dark alley purchase are over.

The Internet is the dark alley of the future.

In AcheJapan, Lyle's probably a huge star and doesn't even know it. There's probably an anime about a cheerfully-caricachured version of his butthole that fights tenacles and such so as to collect magic coins for a young boy that needs them to... save his grandfather from the devil or something.

"Sphincterbaka Happy-Fightkun" is probably the third most popular show in Japan, after "Ironically Wacky Gameshow #475" and "Creepy Gender-Bending Ninja Fight Hour".
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: Drygioni on September 08, 2006, 03:40:42 pm
By the way.  Ray is clearly NOT wearing his thong in the early panels with the smock.  Then he rips the smock off.

Make your own conclusions


To be honest, I'm just glad Onstad cut the panel around his waist so we didn't end up with more Rock Hard Cat Cock. Though Ray seems a bit too classy to let his junk flag fly in the doctor's. Let's make our own conclusions.

The technician recognizing Lyle's ass from his gonzo videos had me laughing out loud.

I think the technician is recognising that Lyle's rear may have been subject to breaking and entering sometime or other. Either way is funny and makes sense, so no matter.

Lastly, I think Dr Andretti is a criminally unrecognised catalyst to the greatness of Achewood.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: AugustWest on September 08, 2006, 09:16:09 pm
Dude, there seem to be words I recognize in that post but all that translates out is WACKA-WACKA-WACKA-CHING.

IT'S ALL CHING CHONG WING WONG.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: skizot on September 09, 2006, 12:53:22 am
Not being well versed in pornography terms, I looked up "gonzo" on Wikipedia:

Quote
Gonzo Pornography is a style of filming the sex scene that places the viewer in the action directly. The camera shot is more freelance and closer to the genitals during the filming. This style of filming is more loose and direct. Gonzo style filming places the camera in very close proximity to the action unlike traditional filming which shows more of the full bodies of the performers with periodic closeups.

Maybe the technician is just recognizing Lyle's "junk" from a view from behind.  Lyle really doesn't strike me as the kind of fellow to be involved in pornography that involves his ass.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 09, 2006, 02:15:40 am
Dude, Lyle had a job fuck*ng recently converted M-to-F transvestites!  I'd imagine he'd be up for just about anything, if he was paid well enough.
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: skizot on September 09, 2006, 07:32:47 am
Yeah its possible I guess, I'm not sure though if nailing post sex-change M-to-Fs is lower than ass pornography...
Title: Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2006, 03:56:09 pm
Yeah its possible I guess, I'm not sure though if nailing post sex-change M-to-Fs is lower than ass pornography...

It must Be!

Why Find Out (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03112002)

~Paul