The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: ferocious j on September 17, 2003, 06:03:56 pm

Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: ferocious j on September 17, 2003, 06:03:56 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I still like their chicken nuggets even though I'm certain they contain no actual chicken.  

One day I will make a fortune on a hand-held device that detects whether or not the McNugget you are holding contains actual white meat, or that greasy gray spongy puke-mess.  Only when I have a working prototype will I trust McDonald's again.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: side_show on September 17, 2003, 06:43:47 pm
My boyfriend brought home little mini chicken drums that's ingredients read:  "mechanically separated chicken." Strange.
Title: mmmmmm....mechanically seperated meat
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 17, 2003, 07:36:17 pm
Oh yeah.  That means the meat is removed from the bones and the other largely inedible parts by machine, rather than by human hands.  Which usually means that you get more bone and other nasty bits in it.

Check out this article (http://www.earthsave.org/lyman/madcow.htm), which contains the immortal quote, "What we're talking about here is something that may not be meat."
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: side_show on September 17, 2003, 07:57:10 pm
"Until two years ago, the product was not called meat." Nice.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: CortJstr on September 17, 2003, 08:01:07 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
My boyfriend brought home little mini chicken drums that's ingredients read: "mechanically separated chicken." Strange.


That reminds me of the first time I saw the box for Subway's chicken: caramel color and grill marks added.

Creepy.

Quote from: "ferocious j"
One day I will make a fortune on a hand-held device that detects whether or not the McNugget you are holding contains actual white meat, or that greasy gray spongy puke-mess. Only when I have a working prototype will I trust McDonald's again.


You should totally market this with Fecal Vision
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: side_show on September 17, 2003, 08:20:44 pm
you could offer semen and urine vision too.  Or maybe I don't want to know that information.

there are garlic giraffe steaks from Blue Water, and when you microwave them grill lines magically appear. If you watch thru the microwave window you see them gradually appearing.  It's just not right
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: ferocious j on September 17, 2003, 10:21:09 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
there are garlic giraffe steaks from Blue Water, and when you microwave them grill lines magically appear. If you watch thru the microwave window you see them gradually appearing.  It's just not right

How the bloody damn hell do they do that?  Now I'm going to have to buy some just to see that happen.  CRAP
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: slink on September 17, 2003, 10:23:23 pm
I just, and I think I said this before somewhere here, refuse to eat anything that's not natural (if I can help it).
I'm not anal about organic food and shit, but I avoid reformed meat (same as mechanically seperated usually, and then put back together to look like a seducing slice of ham... or not!) and fast food like the plague.
It just tastes bad, and makes me lose my appetite.
I spent nearly a year basically vegetarian because of this, as a student. I was unable to afford decent meat for a while, so I ate some bacon, and the odd cut of meat when I could treat myself, but most of it I didn't eat meat.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 17, 2003, 11:02:49 pm
I'm a vegetarian now, but I used to have a soft spot for mechanically separated "ribs" sold in my middle school cafeteria.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: V-Adore on September 18, 2003, 12:02:25 am
I, too, will admit to a fondness for mechanically separated "ribs" despite knowing of their skeeviness. Actually, I enjoy most mechanically-processed "meat" things way, way too much. I'd be a vegetarian, really, except for inertia and horrible, horrible taste.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: andalucia on September 18, 2003, 12:42:30 am
I'm vegan.   Things I eat usually don't come mechanically separated.  On the other hand, they don't do magical things in the microwave.

Rethinking life choices......
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 18, 2003, 01:03:21 am
I'm omniverous, but I usually try to buy, cook and eat quality foods. We avoid prepackaged food as much as possible and the only reason we bought a microwave was to heat up formula for the baby in the middle of the night. In Hawaii there is no Whole Foods. Otherwise I would shop there most of the time.

I am intrigued by the microwave-induced grill marks, though. And, I must confess, in line with the others, (not to mention Homer Simpson) I do usually buy one whenever the McRib comes back around. I <know> it's 100% artificial food. But it's full of chemical goodness.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: jough on September 18, 2003, 01:48:34 am
I only eat meat.

The rawer, the bloodier, the better.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: FeeReep on September 18, 2003, 06:14:27 am
And what's the deal with the McRib? Real bones in the McNuggets, fake bone-shaped meat protrusions in the McRib.

I swear.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: slink on September 18, 2003, 02:16:02 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I only eat meat.

The rawer, the bloodier, the better.


Aaaah yes, a good bleading steak!
Can't beat it.
Very Denis Leary.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: side_show on September 19, 2003, 04:16:12 pm
Actually, I'm a weak willed vegetarian, who occasionally gives in to meaty cravings.  My guy grew up raising hogs, and there's always meat around, and no matter how much I love all the earth's animals, I just can't forget how tasty they are.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: V-Adore on September 19, 2003, 05:06:42 pm
Yarr, but the vegetarian approach be not without merit. For one, ye be keeping off the scurvy. (A few of me mates' mates here learned this the bloody hard way -- goin' off thar college meal plan and eatin' nothin' but chili done give you the scurvy.)

I am honestly pretty pitiful at talking like a pirate, but hey, scurvy.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: jough on September 19, 2003, 05:13:08 pm
So be it, me beauties.

As A. Whitney Brown said: "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals.  I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."

And that's the gist of it.  Yo ho ho.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: slink on September 19, 2003, 06:42:51 pm
Quote from: "jough"
So be it, me beauties.

As A. Whitney Brown said: "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals.  I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."

And that's the gist of it.  Yo ho ho.


Aaaarrr! Thar be a couple other beauties that I did make me fall from the yardarm! (well, not really, I just quite like them as little reasons...)

"I didn't evolve for millions of years to eat what my food eats."

OK, so I can't remember the other, better one.
Erm... ...mateys...
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: side_show on September 22, 2003, 06:39:27 pm
Aye me block 'o's:

"Vegetarians are delicious!"

and

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them to tasty?"

Be also ones I done hear on d'wind.  Yarrh!

(ps: I missed the reason for the pirate talk)
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 22, 2003, 06:44:21 pm
Sideshow has really taken "talk like a pirate day" to heart! I note also the phrase 'me block o's'....did you go to Ohio State?
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2003, 06:51:33 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
My boyfriend brought home little mini chicken drums that's ingredients read:  "mechanically separated chicken." Strange.


Only in America could we take the idea of "use every part of the chicken" to this kind of extreme. Although sometimes a man just needs to have a 6 pack of McNuggets.

Speaking of unholy, did anybody else's cafeteria serve salmon nuggets? See the inside of one of those made me wonder what kind of god would allow such a travesty.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: V-Adore on September 22, 2003, 06:56:55 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Speaking of unholy, did anybody else's cafeteria serve salmon nuggets? See the inside of one of those made me wonder what kind of god would allow such a travesty.

I once visited a college where the on-campus food-service-sponsored pizza place served salmon pizza. The scary thing is that it was reasonably good, and I'd eat it again were I given the option.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 22, 2003, 06:57:55 pm
Over here in the middle of the pacific, Hawaii is sort of a destination for people even more isolated...like, say the Marshall Islands or Micronesia. One of the main things people from these places eat day after day is Spam or Potted Meat. Spam needs no introduction - but the first two "ingredients" in "Potted Meat" (made by Libby) are:

"Partially defatted Pork Fatty Tissue"
"Partially defatted Beef Fatty Tissue"

Pass me a can of THAT!
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: side_show on September 22, 2003, 07:21:26 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Sideshow has really taken "talk like a pirate day" to heart! I note also the phrase 'me block o's'....did you go to Ohio State?


No, I'm in Canada.  I got "me block o's" from watching sponge bob square#####
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2003, 08:19:59 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Over here in the middle of the pacific, Hawaii is sort of a destination for people even more isolated...like, say the Marshall Islands or Micronesia. One of the main things people from these places eat day after day is Spam or Potted Meat. Spam needs no introduction - but the first two "ingredients" in "Potted Meat" (made by Libby) are:

"Partially defatted Pork Fatty Tissue"
"Partially defatted Beef Fatty Tissue"

Pass me a can of THAT!


I actually remember reading about that in the Straight Dope.

I bet it would go really well with some "cheeze"
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: jough on September 22, 2003, 08:31:21 pm
Actually, I think the expression is "me bucko" but they call him "block o" because Mr. Square##### is in fact a sponge.

Although I haven't actually seen an episode of SBSP, so I can't say for sure.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: AugustWest on September 22, 2003, 08:47:52 pm
You should make it a point to catch an episode of Spongebob.  It is teh funnay.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: jough on September 22, 2003, 11:14:46 pm
These are the things that I miss out on because I don't have children.

Well, none of my own, anyway.  There are those kids that I keep locked up below the stairs, but I don't watch a lot of teevee with them.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: andalucia on September 22, 2003, 11:30:45 pm
Still, jough, it's enough that you let us out to check this board every once in a while.
Title: That Ain't Meat!
Post by: side_show on September 23, 2003, 02:05:58 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
You should make it a point to catch an episode of Spongebob.  It is teh funnay.


I feel like such a dork for watching the show - mostly because I also have no kids.  But I do like it, it is teh funnay.