The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on September 12, 2006, 01:20:01 pm
-
Lyle and Mr. Bear were happy tonight... (http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/it-was-chinese-food-night-today.html)
because they got good news back from their colonoscopies, no doubt.
-
Philippe will be seeing Italian noodles in hell, apparently.
-
What about French noodles*, Philippe?
*French noodles are bread.
-
I like how he specifies the vegetables are "slant-cut".
-
I want some goddamn chinese food. last weekend we got thai food, and that Pad Thai was pretty weak.
I want some italian food, too.
also: Imo's pizza--- YES. People who suggested I try it, I salute you. I ate an entire half-pie, and I am not a fellow who eats Amounts.
-
I hope it was no warmer than luke-warm when you ate it.
-
I've kind of over done both kinds of noodles at the moment, the Italian because they're cheap to make at home and the Chinese because they're cheap to eat out. I don't want to see either for a while.
Today: sushi!
-
I could hella go for some Asian noodles right now. Maybe I'll see if there's a Chinese place within walking distance; given that the only groceries I have at the moment are mac'n'cheese, ramen, microwave popcorn, and V-8*, I should probably treat myself to some delicious mein.
* This is a slight exaggeration; there are also three apples and some bottled water. And some drink powders to put in the bottled water.
-
I think I will have udon noodles tonight - I love these at the moment for some reason.. (probably because I can cook them without screwing up).
-
All that thread did was remind me that Bozack has class oozing out of his classhole.
~Paul
-
I like how he specifies the vegetables are "slant-cut".
Was I the only one who... uhm... upon the first reading, thought Onstad was going for some kind of dark-as-night joke about Phillipe being inexplicably racist against Asians despite his youthful innocence and then... remembered that that's actually a cooking term? Or am I on crack? I'm guessing I'm on crack.
-
You'd normally find, say, carrots, cut at right angles to their main length. Now if you were to cut at some oblique angle, you'd end up with a longer strip of carrot than a perpendicular cut, and it would be shaped differently from a parallel cut (and you'd see the various concentric rings and such of the carrot spread out). This is what I am assuming he means by a slant-cut, as it seems to occur fairly often in chinese food.
And onstad is indeed a dirty bastard -- I made some rather good burritos earlier tonight, but now they seem lacking and now I am wanting some udon with chicken and broccoli and peanuts.
-
http://peterhcropes.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_peterhcropes_archive.html (http://peterhcropes.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_peterhcropes_archive.html)
This is better than a comic. This blog post is uncanny in its resemblance to my own thoughts. I used to live in San Diego. It often did feel like what Chris "Nice Pete" Onstad describes.
-
I can pretty much agree on the cola thing, admittedly. Who the hell decided it was a good idea to just start throwing flavors into cola, anyway? It's all mystifying, and if I were a cat with a homicide probjem, I'd probably be angry too.
-
onstad makes out with a inkjet printout of wodehouse every night pass it on
-
I can pretty much agree on the cola thing, admittedly. Who the hell decided it was a good idea to just start throwing flavors into cola, anyway?
Me (I did).
Loves me some vanilla cola. Cherry is good too. Mmmmmmmmm.
Haven't tried the coffee one yet. That does not sound appealing.
V, if you and I were opponents in an election, I would now run ads proclaiming your thinking in line with that of a psychopathic killer. I'd also proclaim you worse than Hitler.
-
Me (I did).
Loves me some vanilla cola. Cherry is good too. Mmmmmmmmm.
Haven't tried the coffee one yet. That does not sound appealing.
V, if you and I were opponents in an election, I would now run ads proclaiming your thinking in line with that of a psychopathic killer. I'd also proclaim you worse than Hitler.
Godwin'd!
-
I never said I didn't like flavored colas, just that at this point the proliferation is getting kind of ridiculous. But it's good to remember the thing I've learned most often from this board: I am history's worst criminal, and it is only Satanic intervention which has kept me out of the ditch so far. Whoo.
-
Yeah, that was definetely Wodehouse, not Jenkins. Although the peeing while walking saideways down the fairway makes me wonder.
Beer Carrier
Slapping SysAdmins w/ manuals
House wall removal
That stuff was fun. I actually want to hear about carrying the Faldo/'Zinger standard now.
I liked that the new-fangled 5-iron had a peanut allergy.
-
OK, I still wish he would stop writing about golf, but the description of the guy as being able to solve equations that seem to have pictures of pasta in the middle was almost worth it.
And me, I hate flavored cola. It's a sign of the imminent downfall of civilization.
-
OK, I still wish he would stop writing about golf, but the description of the guy as being able to solve equations that seem to have pictures of pasta in the middle was almost worth it.
And me, I hate flavored cola. It's a sign of the imminent downfall of civilization.
Does this include cola flavored the old fashioned way? Such as by adding vanilla, marchino cherry "juice", or squeezing a lime? Or is your hate reserved for pre-packaged flavored colas?
-
The prepackaged kinds are the worst, yes. If you squeeze a fresh lime in your cola you're probably not a big part of the problem. But why on earth would anyone want to add vanilla to cola?
I should point out that I am the sort of person who doesn't like different foods to touch on my plate, I never grew out of that. But it also makes me crazy, this American tendency to think that if, say, pizza is good with one topping it will be better with five. Simplicity is a virtue, dammit.
-
I can pretty much agree on the cola thing, admittedly. Who the hell decided it was a good idea to just start throwing flavors into cola, anyway? It's all mystifying, and if I were a cat with a homicide probjem, I'd probably be angry too.
American companies seem to think that they have to introduce new products and variants all the time to get traction. Sadly, I do know adults who get excited about trying out every new variation of Pepsi or whatever. The market is completely saturated and most consumers are just confused. Pepsi Jazz? Huh? There's a similar trend in candy market. Also, there are 10 kinds of Wheat Thins.
There's a book about this that I haven't read. http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Choice-Why-More-Less/dp/0060005688/sr=8-1/qid=1158775251/ref=sr_1_1/103-2342458-9550239?ie=UTF8&s=books
-
The prepackaged kinds are the worst, yes. If you squeeze a fresh lime in your cola you're probably not a big part of the problem. But why on earth would anyone want to add vanilla to cola?
Apparently it was all the rage in the 50's
I should point out that I am the sort of person who doesn't like different foods to touch on my plate, I never grew out of that. But it also makes me crazy, this American tendency to think that if, say, pizza is good with one topping it will be better with five. Simplicity is a virtue, dammit.
I don't like more than two pizza toppings unless it's some kind of specialty item with no sauce that's shooting more for "meal on an edible plate" than regular pizza. Like a steak and cheese pizza. I also don't count garlic as a topping so much as I count it as necessary for sentient life to exist.
http://dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1008
There are now at least 4 Mountain Dews and at least 8 M&M's
-
The prepackaged kinds are the worst, yes. If you squeeze a fresh lime in your cola you're probably not a big part of the problem. But why on earth would anyone want to add vanilla to cola?
Because it's GOOD, dammit. And yes, I do this. I don't like plain ol' Diet Coke, but the missus buys it seemingly in bulk, so I will take the jug of cheap-ass imitation vanilla and put a squeeze into my Diet Coke.
SO. THERE. Wombat, you are WORSE than worse than Hitler, and I will see to it that you are never elected to anything.
-
I will take the jug of cheap-ass imitation vanilla and put a squeeze into my Diet Coke.
OMG Carlos this is the most horrifying epitome of American fake food technology that I have ever heard of. I will not take offense at your remarks about me because there is no doubt that this beverage is slowly destroying your brain. You can't be held responsible.
-
Now let's be fair, wombat, there is a step down to go from there: just drinking the fake vanilla extract right out of the bottle, ghetto-style. Ideally you would drink it in the kitchen, over the sink, with the lights off so the neighbors can't see you -- or hide the fake vanilloid substance in your toilet tank.
-
It is mostly alcohol, after all. I'ma go do that right now.
-
Now let's be fair, wombat, there is a step down to go from there: just drinking the fake vanilla extract right out of the bottle, ghetto-style. Ideally you would drink it in the kitchen, over the sink, with the lights off so the neighbors can't see you -- or hide the fake vanilloid substance in your toilet tank.
And you would keep empty fake vanilla extract bottles in your garage, hundreds of them, because you're too embarrased to put them out with the recycling. You would visit several different grocery stores to buy your fake vanilla extract, because you'd be too embarrased to buy as much as you need in one visit. You'll start calling in sick to stay home and drink fake vanilla extract; eventually you'll just stop showing up for work. They'll find you among your empty fake vanilla extract bottles, dead of a brain aneuryism, cockroaches swarming around, sucking on the dried-up fake vanilla nectar. Your body will smell sickly-sweet.
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henie-Onstad_Art_Centre
wikipedia also says that chris onstad is the great-nephew of someone who is "Considered by most as the greatest figure skater in history"
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henie-Onstad_Art_Centre
wikipedia also says that also says that chris onstad is the great-nephew of someone who is "Considered by most as the greatest figure skater in history"
Yeah but is that going to get you scholarship money? I think not.
-
"let's get some Jäger and make out with sluts until we puke."
YES.
this reminds me of how my uncle traced back his last name and found out that they're Jewish, way back. I thought it was cool, and it was really weird how upset and creepy the Catholic parts of my family were (think: the "I'm not gay! Not that there's anything wrong with that..." gag in Seinfeld.)
also, I am apparently descended from a guy who played on the Scotland national soccer team. he sold all of his trophies during the depression. He was part of the side of my dad's family that all had awesome awesome Super-Irish/Scottish names (Patrick Blaney! Elizabeth Munro!). Apparently even in advanced age he could still kick a soccer ball a quite prodigious distance.