The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: guns and cigarettes on September 15, 2006, 07:03:02 am

Title: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: guns and cigarettes on September 15, 2006, 07:03:02 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09152006

This is a great classic achewood one-off. I love it. Second in line for the thread title was "you got some serious grace"


Enjoy

Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: elfbabe on September 15, 2006, 07:07:12 am
Creepy! I was just about to post with precisely the same title, character for character.

As for the effect described in the strip... It's interesting how this works in reverse for females. Me, I talk about computers and suddenly the volunteer sperm donors are lining up in the hallway.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: mrdna1 on September 15, 2006, 07:46:06 am
This is a great classic achewood one-off.

Yeah exactly. If you told me this had been sitting around in Onstad's sketchbook since 2003 I'd have believed you.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: oball on September 15, 2006, 08:39:39 am
My facial expression was pretty much the same as Beef's in the second panel after I read the first one.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: pubdoggy on September 15, 2006, 09:03:41 am
If I agreed any more with what has already been said, you'd all think I was taking the piss. "I might want a family someday, dude." is everything I could wish for and more - to be used immediately on the nerd friends I love to hate.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: nDed on September 15, 2006, 02:29:57 pm
Being the nerd that I am, I must admit to almost succumbing to Nerd Rage at what Ray said. Then I gently reminded myself that Ray is a cartoon cat.

Heh, Ray is just the kind person to take shortcuts and then not appreciate or be impressed with what he has gained. What a jerk.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: mrchee on September 15, 2006, 03:23:44 pm
For once I must regretfully agree with the sycophantic masses.

This is a very good strip
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2006, 03:40:15 pm
Not my favorite, but a pretty classy one-off.

Also, not to threadjack, but:

Quote from: elfbabe
As for the effect described in the strip... It's interesting how this works in reverse for females. Me, I talk about computers and suddenly the volunteer sperm donors are lining up in the hallway.

I think it's because it's still perceived as a novelty. Women who can talk about computers/roleplaying games/Insert Nerd Guy Thing Here are not actually all that rare, but most male nerds are still convinced that they've struck gold every time they meet one.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 15, 2006, 06:03:32 pm
The lesson from all this: Buck up, young nerdlings, a career in (CS/ME/EE)engineering/sciences will not always be female peer free.

  I think the problem is that nerds don't actually want to pair up with other nerds. They want to be friends, but no romance. The two brains will always be in competition.
  Actually though, Ray's remarks about secondary sexual characteristics rolling away is really applicable to any specialist field that isn't common knowledge.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: jough on September 15, 2006, 06:34:39 pm
I think we have some nerd pairings on the board, so obviously nerds can live together harmoniously.

I think it's just that there's a scarcity of cute nerd girls.  You'll find nerd girls everywhere.  You'll just wish you didn't find most of them.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2006, 07:12:07 pm
the look on my lady's face when I uttered the words "Star Wars" was all I needed to be happy in this lifetime.

that and knowing every word to every Beatles song.

although, people, you seem to be mixing up your words. A nerd is one who excels in all studies, rather than merely technical ones.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: dejavroom on September 15, 2006, 07:39:20 pm
I really didn't see the "In fact, it's beneath me" coming. Ssss.... OW. In your FACE Roastbeef! In your FACE!
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: robot_god on September 15, 2006, 08:08:22 pm
Eh, I ain't down with all this.

A strip like this reminds me how far Ray has developed since, "Is e-mail different from internet?  Heh!  I didn't know!"
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2006, 08:20:48 pm
As long as he still jumps pictures of motorcycles over desktop mountains I'm cool.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2006, 08:23:31 pm
  I think the problem is that nerds don't actually want to pair up with other nerds. They want to be friends, but no romance. The two brains will always be in competition.

Speaking as someone currently in a nerd relationship, I think the issue is more that, inevitably, your nerdly paramour will be interested in something you find colossally lame and bizarre, but the general nerd social dynamic of total acceptance regardless of insanity level makes it impossible to say "I respect you as a person, but I think this is explosively stupid/bizarre/insane." The fact that many nerds of both genders are so insecure about their hobbies and preferences means that anything other than enthusiastic acceptance gets interpreted as rejection, and thus you have Problems. Basically, it's the most interpersonally pernicious of the Five Geek Social Fallacies, (http://sean.chittenden.org/humor/www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html) combined with a greater sensitivity of material and relationship.

Obviously many nerds are happy together, and your nerd relationship mileage may vary, but when there are flameouts, I think that's why.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: Ben-San on September 16, 2006, 01:37:01 am
I'm just gonna say that a dude in Ray's sex (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08252006) situation (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09132006) should maybe not be passing judgement. Who knows, he might score some sysadmin-loving 'tang, maybe get into a meet-and-bang with some ladies from rec.arts.tv.man-from-atlantis.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: elfbabe on September 16, 2006, 07:49:37 am
I think it's because it's still perceived as a novelty. Women who can talk about computers/roleplaying games/Insert Nerd Guy Thing Here are not actually all that rare, but most male nerds are still convinced that they've struck gold every time they meet one.

I think we just tend to get into nerd hobbies a bit later in life than guys do... but they just remember when they were 14 and couldn't get any girls to play D&D with them. (I shouldn't really say "we"... I started playing D&D at 13 and eventually became my DM's first girlfriend... ah, dork love!) Or perhaps girls DO get interested in those things while young, but remain in hiding until enough of their peers have developed basic social and bathing skills.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: mrdna1 on September 16, 2006, 02:52:36 pm
One thing I just realized -- how can Ray start a family if he's neutered (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01212002)?
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: Doc on September 16, 2006, 03:17:49 pm
He can still sport wood! (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01242002)

Younger male nerds tend to have really unrealistic expectations of the uh... physical dimensions of their potential trophy brides for guys who basically have permanent cheeto-finger.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: V-Adore on September 16, 2006, 05:17:07 pm
One thing I just realized -- how can Ray start a family if he's neutered (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01212002)?

I can think of three theories, in roughly declining order of pedantic pretension:

1) As in the "Crisis of Infinite Achewoods" theory of continuity, we are looking at a strip set in a continuity in which Ray was not neutered. This would fit with the drift of the strip lately, in which any vestige of the cats being owned by humans has been gradually removed.
2) Ray's attempt to be bombastic towards Beef leave him saying things that are technically impossible.
3) Onstad forgot.

Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 16, 2006, 06:29:21 pm

1) As in the "Crisis of Infinite Achewoods" theory of continuity, we are looking at a strip set in a continuity in which Ray was not neutered. This would fit with the drift of the strip lately, in which any vestige of the cats being owned by humans has been gradually removed.
2) Ray's attempt to be bombastic towards Beef leave him saying things that are technically impossible.
3) Onstad forgot.


  I think 3 is most likely, but 1 is more appealing to fans. Are we in Ultimate Achewood or Achewood 616?
  I'm sort of glad Onstad has phased out the whole "underground" thing, which was awkward and left far too many strips unexplainable. I think we're now pretty much in the world of Achewood as alternate reality unto itself rather than a hidden world with in our world.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: Ben-San on September 16, 2006, 11:05:54 pm
  I'm sort of glad Onstad has phased out the whole "underground" thing, which was awkward and left far too many strips unexplainable. I think we're now pretty much in the world of Achewood as alternate reality unto itself rather than a hidden world with in our world.

I don't think it's phased-out so much as just not mentioned all that often. Yes, they hang out in the Achewood, CA Underground, but they don't talk about it. It'd be like two guys who live in Sacramento saying "Okay, I'll meet you on Winston Drive.. IN SACRAMENTO. They've opened up a new restaurant in SACRAMENTO that I want to try SACRAMENTO."

It doesn't happen. Or maybe in Sacramento it does.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 17, 2006, 06:18:15 am
If rich humans can buy new hair, new breasts, etc... one would expect that a rich cat could buy new nards. He owns lasers and helicopters and human heads, one could presume that cutting edge nard-cloning technology is not beyond him.

Or, alternatively, knocking out Little Nephew and surgically stealing his nards... a relative so that the odds of his body rejecting the nards are slim... and Mos Nef is actually wandering around with goat nards or possibly even onions swinging around in his cat package.

Dude may be shooting bullets and yet bullets that are not his own.

(...do they still give out No-Prizes?)
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2006, 06:33:38 am
um, wasn't it established that Ray was not the cat  referred to? Like, in the same strip?
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 17, 2006, 06:44:34 pm
um, wasn't it established that Ray was not the cat  referred to? Like, in the same strip?

I don't believe so... but either way, it was good, because it gave me the opportunity to write "nard" five... and now six!... times.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: mrdna1 on September 17, 2006, 07:26:34 pm
um, wasn't it established that Ray was not the cat  referred to? Like, in the same strip?
I don't know, but this strip (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05072003) seems to verify it was Ray (if only going on his facial expression in the last panel).

That said, I know Achewood continuity is usually a bonus more than anything else (see: Teodor dying) but damn is it fun to be pedantic.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: linnea on September 17, 2006, 10:06:54 pm
ray wasn't neutered, it was just a vasectomy. Those are pretty easy to reverse.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: nDed on September 18, 2006, 04:16:46 am
I am not sure if this applies to pets and such, but in humans castration usually refers only to removal of the testes and not the entire c*ck (which is called a penectomy). I would imagine even castrati would like to be able to urinate normally sometimes. I always assumed Ray just got his balls chopped off and not his weiner, leaving him still able to sport wood.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: linnea on September 18, 2006, 04:55:16 am
I am not sure if this applies to pets and such, but in humans castration usually refers only to removal of the testes and not the entire c*ck (which is called a penectomy). I would imagine even castrati would like to be able to urinate normally sometimes. I always assumed Ray just got his balls chopped off and not his weiner, leaving him still able to sport wood.

EDUCATION:

I have two cats and a friend who was a veterinary tech. She explained to me that when boy cats are "fixed", they just surgically open the scrotum and remove the vas defrens. Scrotum remains intact, but there is no way for the animal to produce sperm and since there are no more male hormones there is no wood, no spraying, and no other types of male homrone-related behavior. Unfortunately, if you get a boy cat and neglect to have him fixed early enough before he learns to spray, he'll continue the spraying behavior even after becoming a eunuch.
Title: Re: 15 Sep 2006 - Her tits would fall off and roll under the couch!
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 18, 2006, 07:17:40 am
Ray certainly knew how to spray.