The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: R-Machine on September 21, 2006, 11:06:55 am

Title: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: R-Machine on September 21, 2006, 11:06:55 am
What a move. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09212006)

That is pretty much the full pallete of celebrity attention-grabbing. I've always thought that Hanna-Barbera and Disney were sort of incomparable, though. Disney mostly stuck to movies and Hanna-Barbera was mostly television.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Color_Me_Brad on September 21, 2006, 11:22:35 am
I gasped in the last panel. I can hear the cresendoing music.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Golfhaus on September 21, 2006, 11:43:10 am
I, too, like Hanna-Barbera better than Disney.

Me and Bensington, man, we're cut from the same cloth.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Doc on September 21, 2006, 12:55:57 pm
See I never really got hanna-barbera at all and I only really like disney from about beauty and the beast through to lion king.
Maybe I'm just not a cartoon kind of person.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2006, 01:01:12 pm
I've only seen Little Mermaid and only because they made us watch it in school. And last time I checked she's supposed to die at the end. WTF, Disney?

Next thing you know those fuckers are going to add sisters to Cinderella's family, change her slippers into glass, and let her step-mother live.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Roger on September 21, 2006, 02:05:11 pm
I've only seen Little Mermaid and only because they made us watch it in school. And last time I checked she's supposed to die at the end. WTF, Disney?

Next thing you know those fuckers are going to add sisters to Cinderella's family, change her slippers into glass, and let her step-mother live.

Hey, they killed Bambi's mom, so cut them some slack.

Myself, I like Warner Bros. better than both H-B and Disney. What does that make me?
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2006, 02:32:27 pm
Hey, they killed Bambi's mom, so cut them some slack.

Myself, I like Warner Bros. better than both H-B and Disney. What does that make me?

Sane.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 21, 2006, 02:58:00 pm
Disney is prettier animation, but H-B's collected works are FAR more entertaining than the Disney library.  I'm reminded of the SNL parody of the "Disney Vault" where a flustered Mickey tries to point kids away from Walt's frozen head and "Song of the South" while a bewildered boy asks "Wait, you're supposed to be funny?"

I can't remember EVER laughing at a Disney cartoon.  (The Pixar movies don't count.)

Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: V-Adore on September 21, 2006, 03:44:54 pm
H-B cartoons at least have the excuse of being insane. Disney stuff is always a little too calculated (barring the really extravagant missteps like Black Cauldron), whereas H-B looks like a studio where they animated whatever they felt like at the moment on a budget of about twenty bucks.

Anyway, this Bensington Butters push is pretty wild. Do you think Ray's going to have to reveal his terrible secret?
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: AugustWest on September 21, 2006, 05:11:48 pm
I'm not a big Disney fan, but it does strike me that most Disney movies aren't even supposed to be funny.  Not a lot of laughs in Bambi or Dumbo.  Sure there are some comic relief type moments, but Disney movies are dramas.

Clearly the old Warner Brothers were the funniest.  Hands down.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: jough on September 21, 2006, 06:27:25 pm
Hey, I liked the Flintstones better than any shitty Mickey penis cartoons.

But nothing beats Warner Bros. for laughs.  Even the Simpsons are shallow yuk-fests compared to the genius of the WB cartoons.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Drygioni on September 21, 2006, 06:38:43 pm
Sorry, everyone, but on TV terms Hanna-Barbera beats Disney every time. I can't think of one good Disney TV show; they're all crappy knock-offs which try way too hard to perpetuate the popularity of the secondary characters. Timon & Pumbaa Kids, anyone?

Disney has milked that cash cow so long cheese is coming out of the raw udders.

But, Hanna Barbera movies suck just as bad as Disney TV sucks. So it all balances out, I guess.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 21, 2006, 06:52:49 pm
Anybody got the first known appearance or mention of the Syndicate?
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Drygioni on September 21, 2006, 06:55:38 pm
Anybody got the first known appearance or mention of the Syndicate?

Very possibly here. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08312004) I'm not a high level CortJstr type, though. Someone else might get something better.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2006, 07:09:21 pm
Very possibly here. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08312004) I'm not a high level CortJstr type, though. Someone else might get something better.

That's the first appearance of Butters that I can think of.

I really dug on Ducktales back in like 3rd grade.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Roger on September 21, 2006, 07:59:30 pm
I really dug on Ducktales back in like 3rd grade.

Duck Tales was cool because it drew a lot from classic Carl Barks stuff. Not that I was aware of it when I was 13.

There are some Mickey/Donald/Goofy shorts from the '30s that are actually pretty good, like the one with the trailer road trip, and that other where Mickey is spraying bugs in his garden and ends up tripping on pesticide... Pretty virtuosic animation, at least.

We have to keep in mind that these cartoons, as well as the classic WB ones were made for movie theaters, and not necessarily aimed at children. H-B, on the other hand, were made in the TV era, with short deadlines and budgets, like V mentioned. That made them a lot poorer, technically speaking. It's just recently that I realized why every H-B character wore a collar or a tie of some sort, even those who didn't have any other clothes on: just to separate their heads from their bodies, so the animators could work only on their faces while keeping all the rest motionless.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: AugustWest on September 21, 2006, 08:19:40 pm
It's just recently that I realized why every H-B character wore a collar or a tie of some sort, even those who didn't have any other clothes on: just to separate their heads from their bodies, so the animators could work only on their faces while keeping all the rest motionless.

Say, I think you've got something there.  A can for you sir.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: AugustWest on September 21, 2006, 08:21:21 pm
Since we're talking old-skool animation, how about some love for Bullwinkle?  (and to a lesser extent, Tennessee Tuxedo and/or Underdog).  Great writing, lousy animation.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 21, 2006, 08:30:24 pm
Very possibly here. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08312004) I'm not a high level CortJstr type, though. Someone else might get something better.

There's Bensington Butters, sure, but what about "The Syndicate" specifically?
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Doc on September 21, 2006, 10:44:36 pm
The first I remember hearing of the syndicate was a week or two ago when they were all deciding on their new gimmicks.

And WB pwns all, this is obvious. I don't think Disney is funny but I don't think most of it is meant to be on. HB on the other hand I don't find funny even though it is desperately trying to be. Even as a kid I never got why people liked the flinstones (or the jetsons for that matter since it's basically the same gag).

I only have vague memories of ducktales but I have a perfect recollection of darkwing duck, that was awesome. You know disney had some weird spin offs, anyone remember tailspin? How did we go from rudyard kipling jungle adventures to running a bar and plane charter service? That's a leap.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2006, 11:25:01 pm
They had a run in the late 80's and early 90's of good half-hour cartoons, often with repurposed characters. DuckTales, Tailspin, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck come first to mind.

I also remember and episode of a show I rarely watched, Bonkers I think, starting off with a funny gag. The two main characters are in space, slowly spinning away from the camera, making faces as if they're yelling. The narrator comes in, "In space, no one can hear you scream...............But that would make for a very boring cartoon." And then the screaming characters cut in.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: theinevitable on September 21, 2006, 11:49:34 pm
Ducktails, Tailspin, etc. were brilliant television. I worshipped those shows.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Doc on September 22, 2006, 12:58:58 am
Was who shot roger rabbit a disney one? It seemed like there were characters from all the studios in there, or at least WB and Disney (can't remember any HB), like when Lex Luthor and Superman joined forces to fight Christopher Lloyd.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2006, 01:21:51 am
Was who shot roger rabbit a disney one? It seemed like there were characters from all the studios in there, or at least WB and Disney (can't remember any HB), like when Lex Luthor and Superman joined forces to fight Christopher Lloyd.

According to IMDB, yes:

"Since the movie was being made by Disney, Warner Brothers would only allow the use of their biggest toon star, Bugs Bunny, if he got an equal amount of screen time as Disney's biggest star, Mickey penis. Because of this, both characters are always together in frame when on the screen."
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: colmore on September 24, 2006, 08:33:34 pm
Disney was an amazing studio up until shortly after Fantasia came out, tanked, and Walt slipped into his bitter old man "well I guess America doesn't want art" phase.

Walt Disney revived American animation in the 1920s.  After initial experiments by artists like Windsor McKay, film animation had slid into increadibly cheap cut-and-paste spinoffs of popular newspaper cartoons.  (Rent the DVD of animated Krazy Kat to see some of the crap we're talking about).  Animation was seen as a low-priority means of appeasing children.  It wasn't until talking cinema that a second motive for budgeting for cartoons appeared: selling records.

Most studios were associated with record companies, and those old, weird bendy-armed sing-a-long animations from the 20s and 30s (Ub Iwerk's being the best and weirdest of that genre -- f.y.i. he did most of the cartoons that appear as clips on Pee Wee) were pretty much music videos; the 78s of animation music were big hits.  It was in that climate that Disney started reviving the full painted-cell artform of animation.

Here's Skeleton Dance on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb_WYxgh-_g (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb_WYxgh-_g)

Which has links to other Silly Symphonies (the early musical Disney shorts) - definitely check out The Old Mill too, he invented a bunch of stuff to do the multi-layer backgrounds for that, it's amazing looking.

Then he put out Snow White, which you should really really rent and watch on a good TV.  It's a painting.

Aaaaanyway, I loved that in the late 80s, kids' TV showed all of this old crap all of the time.  As a little kid I really liked black and white stuff better than new things, and now in my old rickety 20s, I geek out about it.

So yeah, historically, Disney tears H-B a new one.  (And since Onstad has already shown a taste for old blues and an affection for Vaudeville, I imagine he's thinking somewhat along these lines).  But yeah, for humorous content and sharp writing, Warner Brothers is the king, and they and Fleischer Studios probably outrank Disney for sheer 20th-century-animation-awesomeness.

</nerd>
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: AugustWest on September 24, 2006, 10:03:47 pm
I don't think anybody questions the quality of Disney's animation/visuals/art.  The old movies are head and shoulders over anything else, no question. 

But it doesn't have teh funnay.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: colmore on September 26, 2006, 12:57:05 am
Sorry to ping the tired thread, but I felt this was apropos:

http://www.fortunecity.de/lindenpark/foto/597/03.html (http://www.fortunecity.de/lindenpark/foto/597/03.html)

-- a run of 1930 mickey penis newspaper strips in which mickey tries to kill himself a few times.
Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: Doc on September 26, 2006, 02:01:59 am
Is So good indeed.

That one where he is reaching for the shotgun in the last panel practically IS achewood.

Title: Re: 21 September 2006 - Made the al-Qaeda death list
Post by: theinevitable on September 26, 2006, 03:08:09 am
good lord.