The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: guns and cigarettes on September 28, 2006, 05:00:53 am

Title: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: guns and cigarettes on September 28, 2006, 05:00:53 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09282006

I think this is an awesome strip. So much fun verbage.

Runners up for thread title: "The brother is ravenous for love." "a chicken jumped into R2D2's teleport beam."
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: guns and cigarettes on September 28, 2006, 05:13:55 am
COMMENCE INTERNET WHINING...

ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiit!

seconded
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: robot_god on September 28, 2006, 05:31:56 am
It's a trap!
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2006, 05:51:11 am
heh, the brother is ravenous for love.

aren't we all, my droogs. aren't we all.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: Drygioni on September 28, 2006, 06:25:12 am
I think the helicopter looks more like a signature move from this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucha_Lucha) Actually, I'm damn certain one of the wrestlers turns into a helicopter.

I laughed at today's strip, but I have a feeling the proper Achewood fans here weren't too keen.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: melack on September 28, 2006, 06:51:33 am
All I'm willing to say is I'll be happy when this arc is complete. Do with that what you will. Nothing? Okay!
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: R-Machine on September 28, 2006, 06:53:33 am
No one has yet mentioned the disappointing lack of Airwolf? For shame.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: MrCB on September 28, 2006, 07:36:27 am
I laughed at today's strip, but I have a feeling the proper Achewood fans here weren't too keen.

So you post on the sekrit Achewood Message Board, but you don't count yourself as a real fan??

WTF? Does this mean that you're only a real fan if you have a picture of Ray tattoed on your wang?
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2006, 08:02:05 am
WTF? Does this mean that you're only a real fan if you have a picture of Ray tattoed on your wang?
No, you're only a real fan if you have a picture of Pat's and/or Beef's wang(s) tattooed on your wang. Get it right or pay the price!

Anyway, I'm just hoping for some payoff. This is fun and all, but it'd be kind of cool if something happened, you know?
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: MrCB on September 28, 2006, 09:29:43 am
Anyway, I'm just hoping for some payoff. This is fun and all, but it'd be kind of cool if something happened, you know?

Come on, you know the pay off's going to come and everyone who was hating on the arc will starting posting about how they loved it actualy. Then Q will some along and say that its Shit, always been Shit and always will be Shit.

So do the wheels of life turn.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: wombat on September 28, 2006, 11:26:51 am
No, you're only a real fan if you have a picture of Pat's and/or Beef's wang(s) tattooed on your wang.

So a lady can never be a real fan?
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: mudokon on September 28, 2006, 12:22:46 pm
Ray is going to be murdered because he knows that a guy is poor. that will be a fairly entertaining payoff, i think
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: evan on September 28, 2006, 12:26:30 pm
So a lady can never be a real fan?
She can, it's just harder.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2006, 12:49:28 pm
I think the helicopter looks more like a signature move from this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucha_Lucha) Actually, I'm damn certain one of the wrestlers turns into a helicopter.

I laughed at today's strip, but I have a feeling the proper Achewood fans here weren't too keen.

I thought it looked like a Strong Bad design.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: side_show on September 28, 2006, 01:04:49 pm
Oh shit!  What will happen in the Mexican Realism Copter?

(Honestly though... if the build up doesn't match the pay off, I will be so very annoyed)
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: CortJstr on September 28, 2006, 01:11:16 pm
Oh shit!  What will happen in the Mexican Realism Copter?

(Honestly though... if the build up doesn't match the pay off, I will be so very annoyed)

It's no accident that the copter looks like a luchador mask. What powers does it have? Will it make Ray lose the rights to his own name in Mexico? Am I getting way too obscure/geeky here?

Panel one could easily have featured Pat with only slightly reworded dialog.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: side_show on September 28, 2006, 01:15:28 pm
So wait... did Ray pull this copter switch? Or is he just blindly oblivious to the copter's Mexican origins?
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: CortJstr on September 28, 2006, 01:18:18 pm
So wait... did Ray pull this copter switch? Or is he just blindly oblivious to the copter's Mexican origins?

I'm going to say the latter. It seems like he just thinks its ugly and isn't getting the luchador thing. Also, just because it has a Mexican paint job doesn't necessarily mean it's Hecho en Mexico although given the storyline that seems probable.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 28, 2006, 01:40:26 pm
Why is Ray packing socks?

Ray needs to pack: Thongs, extra sunglasses, emergency necklace repair kit, "traveler" bottles of Ketel One, and his Dopp kit (the one with Ostritch extract eye serum and kelp-raisin hair (fur) conditioner.  Maybe a jacket if it's going to get chilly at night.

Don't pack socks, Ray.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: Drygioni on September 28, 2006, 03:33:58 pm
So you post on the sekrit Achewood Message Board, but you don't count yourself as a real fan??

WTF? Does this mean that you're only a real fan if you have a picture of Ray tattoed on your wang?

Well, Achewood is my favourite webcomic, so I am a fan certainly, but I've only started reading it relatively recently, don't have any merchandise (yet), and am probably too young/uninformed in pop/high culture to get the most out of it.

Yeah, you got me. I suppose by 'real fans' I meant 'people who have the guts to complain about Achewood'.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 28, 2006, 05:04:29 pm
No one has yet mentioned the disappointing lack of Airwolf? For shame.

This is Ray we're talking about. Airwolf was tucked into a dusty storage facility months ago. He would only even remember that he owns Airwolf if Airwolf were to actually come on his television. Three separate Public Storage facilities get the majority of their business by storing things Ray has forgotten he owns.

There's a guy whose only job is to sit at a desk with all the keys for all of Ray's lockers and all the codes to all the gates at the facilities and... wait... 45 hours a week, in case Ray needs something out of storage. He mostly just looks at pornography on a computer and listens to sports-talk radio in his tiny office.

Every few weeks he has to go to one of the Public Storages and watch moving guys put more stuff into storage so that they can't steal anything and then collect the keys to the new lockers... but he has never actually retrieved anything for Ray. He is paralyzed with fear for the day he'll actually have to be able to find something.

Ray doesn't remember his name but remembers thinking he was a pretty-much-solid dude.

At one point, Roast Beef offered to take over the job, what with all the ease and the down time but Ray didn't let him because "then we could never hang out!"
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2006, 05:17:50 pm
So a lady can never be a real fan?

This is why the wang standard is somewhat limited in today's modern world. I would personally elevate the status of "real fan" to anyone who has ever thought for more than a full second about cat wang as a result of Achewood, but that might not work (if, say, someone stumbled by chance onto the Pat's-wang strip and was repulsed for a while). It's hard to say!
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 28, 2006, 05:54:04 pm
Why is Ray packing socks?

In case... hmm... in case... how to put it?

In case there are no willing ladies and release is still required.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: arkabee on September 28, 2006, 06:00:54 pm
i'm confused, did r2d2 get the ability to teleport things in the newer movies or something?

because i didn't see those.

Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 28, 2006, 06:53:23 pm
i'm confused, did r2d2 get the ability to teleport things in the newer movies or something?

No, we're just dealing with a compound pop-cultural reference...

The major reference is "The Fly" where teleporting a fly and a person at the same time begets a fly-person.

The minor reference would be pointing out that the Luchador-Realism helicopter looks like a cross between R2D2 and a chicken.

Similar would be if, like, Luke was slapping around Leia and she was yelling:

"I'm your girlfriend! I'm your sister! Girlfriend... sister... I'm your girlfriend and your sister!"

This compound reference would not mean that JJ Giddes was trained by Yoda and you just missed it or anything.

It would just be a compound reference.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: FlipConstantine on September 28, 2006, 07:02:09 pm
The major reference is "The Fly" where teleporting a human and a person fly at the same time begets a fly-person.

FTFY, couldn't help myself.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2006, 07:30:50 pm
Similar would be if, like, Luke was slapping around Leia and she was yelling:

"I'm your girlfriend! I'm your sister! Girlfriend... sister... I'm your girlfriend and your sister!"

You're getting a tiny can for this. Pure gold.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: CortJstr on September 28, 2006, 08:39:14 pm
In case... hmm... in case... how to put it?

In case there are no willing ladies and release is still required.

I was thinking he would need socks in the case that some kind of fancy dress event was happening. Ray might cut himself on sour cream lids but he knows better than to show up underdressed for a classy event. He comes real in a custom suit/tux as appropriate.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 28, 2006, 08:46:31 pm
I was thinking he would need socks in the case that some kind of fancy dress event was happening.

Ah, but they're tube socks.

Tube socks with a tux or a suit are a total Hunts move.

Even if all you can do is buy a three-pack of cheap black dress socks from K-Mart on the way, that's still an acceptable last-second save.

Ray's definitely bringing tube socks only in case he has to call one of them "Maria" in his hotel room to the faint glow of Spectravision.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: CortJstr on September 28, 2006, 11:05:44 pm
I didn't look at the picture before posting. The fact that Ray even owns tube socks is weird. Especially the stripey kind.
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: pmcd9 on September 29, 2006, 03:06:04 am
Little Falls is on fire today.  Hunts move.  That is funny even though Hunts is clearly the superior Ketchup.

~Paul
Title: Re: 28 September 2006 - For reals, cognac large
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2006, 03:58:31 am
Imagine my shock and dismay earlier this evening when, as the burgers sizzled away on the stove, I discovered not one but two bottles of Hunt's saucily lodged in my refridgerator door.  The shame of it all!