The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrchee on September 29, 2006, 04:07:14 am

Title: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: mrchee on September 29, 2006, 04:07:14 am
http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=09292006 (http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=09292006)

Are they Ray's legs?  Bennie's legs?  The helicopter's?  Does anyone give a shit?

ALSO:

Hanna Barbara is better than Disney 10x over, except for Jetsons.  Jetsons sucked
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Doc on September 29, 2006, 04:16:03 am
Definitely a mexican magic realism helicopter then.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2006, 04:21:57 am

ALSO:

Hanna Barbara is better than Disney 10x over, except for Jetsons.  Jetsons sucked

Nuh - uh.  Apples and oranges, man.  Apples and oranges.

Anyway.

I don't know which magic realist Onstad's been reading lately, but I'd sure like to see his take on Borges.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 29, 2006, 04:35:35 am
Quote from: mrchee
Are they Ray's legs?  Bennie's legs?  The helicopter's?

Ray's and Benny's. They fell asleep because all their blood went from their brains into their newly elongated legs. As for how this is, in particular, Mexican magical realism, I haven't the foggiest idea... unless Ben or Ray (or possibly the Mexicans) do not believe that helicopters actually work.

The whole deal evoked the 1970s rock opera version of "War of the Worlds" to be honest.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: V-Adore on September 29, 2006, 04:57:02 am
Beautiful. This is the perfect iteration of a Mexican magical-realism helicopter, and the strip is beautiful, in any event. Love it.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: linnea on September 29, 2006, 05:55:34 am
I love how the helo is wearing a Mexican wrestler's mask. It really is a marvelous visual pun on "Mexican Magical Realism".
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Drygioni on September 29, 2006, 06:08:25 am
Walking helicopters? Why not, Onstad.

This is so freaking sinister. The way the helicopter 'awakes', and the sheer creepiness of the way it walks, is really top notch stuff. Also, excellent use of (shades of) colour today.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: otter on September 29, 2006, 06:22:06 am
This more than makes up for the recycled art a couple of days ago.  Wow.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: MattFish on September 29, 2006, 06:41:47 am
What the fuck. That is nuts.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: robot_god on September 29, 2006, 06:54:04 am
Begin.



For me, "pouf" will always register as the sound an old c (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09222005)amera makes.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: MrCB on September 29, 2006, 06:56:47 am
The helicopter has long been waiting on this day when it would be brought to life again by two cats.

All the helicopter longs for is to go home, today it got it's wish.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: wombat on September 29, 2006, 12:37:00 pm
I am kind of creeped out by this.

And isn't Hollywood an awfully long way away?  I hoped they packed snacks.

Edit: OMG I just woke up and realized, they are headed to Mexico. Ominous. Nothing good can come of this.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 29, 2006, 02:20:55 pm
wake me up when it's funny
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: mrchee on September 29, 2006, 04:12:15 pm
wake me up when it's funny

HIS CORPSE WILL SLEEP FOREVER
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: CortJstr on September 29, 2006, 04:40:10 pm
I am kind of creeped out by this.

And isn't Hollywood an awfully long way away?  I hoped they packed snacks.

Edit: OMG I just woke up and realized, they are headed to Mexico. Ominous. Nothing good can come of this.

They were actually headed to Mexico anyway, but will El Gran Helicopter take them to Cabo or somewhere more sinister? I just want to see it's eyes and mouth do more stuff. Can it talk?
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: theinevitable on September 29, 2006, 06:23:02 pm
yesterday, I had my friend read the Cartiledge Head strips. she said "huh, that's pretty cool." Then I told her that mr inconstadt rarely approaches the brilliant weirdness of that arc. today, I eat my words with fork and spoon.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: DanSC on September 29, 2006, 06:32:10 pm
yesterday, I had my friend read the Cartiledge Head strips. she said "huh, that's pretty cool." Then I told her that mr inconstadt rarely approaches the brilliant weirdness of that arc. today, I eat my words with fork and spoon.

Yeah, that's funny, I was just thinking that this feels very much like we're headed for another Cartiledge Head-esque bout of surrealism.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: atom on September 29, 2006, 08:27:58 pm
Speaking of Hanna-Barbera, did anyone else immediately think of that stretch sfx Mr. Fantastic made in those old Fantastic Four cartoons when Ray's legs started elongating?  Because I know I did.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: wombat on September 29, 2006, 08:33:36 pm
They were actually headed to Mexico anyway,

Yes, but now they are magically being kidnapped to Mexico. That's totally different.

You know what I like best?  That every time I think that a particular story arc is looking boring, he surprises me like this.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Doc on September 30, 2006, 02:29:53 pm
I don't think they're being kidnapped, the chopper is taking them to where they were going, it's just doing it's job.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: CortJstr on September 30, 2006, 08:38:30 pm
I don't think they're being kidnapped, the chopper is taking them to where they were going, it's just doing it's job.

And at least it's not raining inside. That's got to be a plus.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: linnea on September 30, 2006, 09:44:44 pm
I don't think they're being kidnapped, the chopper is taking them to where they were going, it's just doing its job.

Fixed.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: AugustWest on October 01, 2006, 02:57:15 am
Fixed.
Education.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: V-Adore on October 01, 2006, 03:13:21 am
And once again, the hydra of prescriptive grammar rears one of its many ugly heads!
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Doc on October 01, 2006, 04:46:36 am
Well said Linnea, if anyone wants me I'll be fasting and flagellating myself in the desert for 40 days as a pennance.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: wombat on October 01, 2006, 11:23:53 am
Don't anyone dare point out that there is a spelling error in Doc's last post. For all you know they spell it differently in Australia.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Doc on October 01, 2006, 12:45:38 pm
Ah damnit. You know I spent like 4 minutes on google making sure I got 'flagellating' right too? I'm going to leave it, just to be wild. Because that's how I roll.
Oh no he did not just use because at the beginning of a sentence!
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: wombat on October 01, 2006, 02:04:27 pm
Ah damnit. You know I spent like 4 minutes on google making sure I got 'flagellating' right too?

This is the saddest thing.  All the more so because, um, did you ever notice that 'spell check' button down at the bottom there when you are writing a post?
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Doc on October 01, 2006, 02:22:36 pm
To be honest, no. I've somehow managed to filter that button out of my consciousness for the last... however long I've been here.
Of course we spell 'spell check' differently over here.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: linnea on October 01, 2006, 07:22:16 pm
I apologize for being an anal-retentive grammar freak. It's in my nature, I cannot help it.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Doc on October 01, 2006, 10:45:34 pm
Don't apologise Linnea it is expected upon entry, besides I should know better; I'm in the middle or writing my thesis and need all the grammar help I can get.
Title: Re: 29 September 2006 - POUF!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 03, 2006, 01:23:47 pm
Where's the library at, asshole?