The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on September 18, 2003, 06:06:01 pm

Title: Isabel
Post by: jay-ell on September 18, 2003, 06:06:01 pm
Due to hurricane Isabel, I might be out of comission for a while -- I just got my cable modem back up, for who knows how long -- so I'm leaving the board in Jough's capable hands.  

Shhh, children, it's OK.  Don't cry.  I'm sure he won't use the buckle again.  Not the buckle Jough...not the buckle
Title: Isabel
Post by: AugustWest on September 18, 2003, 07:09:35 pm
That blows.

Huh huh huh.
Title: Isabel
Post by: jough on September 18, 2003, 07:59:06 pm
Take care of yourself, JL. I just saw the news showing Raleigh as currently the worst-hit area of the entire country.

In honour of Isabel, I will rule the board with a gentle and loving hand until the current State of Emergency has subsided.
Title: Isabel
Post by: jough on September 18, 2003, 08:07:54 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Considering your reign thus far, please define your version of 'gentle' and 'loving'.  'Cause it scares me.


Don' be 'fraid, chil'. I be takin' care o' you 'till JL is back o'line.

"Gentle and loving" means that I'll take off my rings before I slap you.  Wouldn't want to get one of them caught on your cornea like last time.
Title: Isabel
Post by: wombat on September 18, 2003, 08:28:38 pm
Fortunately that was actually just my contact lens...
Title: Isabel
Post by: jay-ell on September 19, 2003, 01:58:38 pm
I'm back.  

We were lucky -- our power was only out for most of yesterday.  (It went out half an hour after I checked in here.)  Also, we only have 2 trees in our whole postage-stamp sized yard, and we lost neither.  

How did everyone else fare?  My friend on the Outer Banks was required to evacuate, so she went with her parents and grandmother to Pennsylvania -- but the power went out in the hotel they had checked into.  (She's a disaster magnet.)  Here's hopin' everybody else came out OK.  

Scariest hurricane moment: Seeing a newscaster make an announcement that "if you ignored the mandatory evacuation and you are still on the coast, please find a Sharpie and write your name on your forearm so that authorities will be able to identify your body."  

I shit you not.
Title: Isabel
Post by: wombat on September 19, 2003, 04:38:10 pm
We have no power at home, but here I am at work and the computers are even working, which isn't always true at the best of times. A branch fell down overnight and just missed my car.  It was exciting to find a route to work that wasn't blocked by fallen trees, but it wasn't raining that hard by then.  There are lots of trees and parts of trees down at the zoo, but no one is hurt and no damage to the building. So, all in all, I feel lucky.
Title: Isabel
Post by: jay-ell on September 19, 2003, 04:53:08 pm
And I'm off.  I'm taking my brother-in-law to Savannah, GA for the weekend to the Savannah College of Art and Design's open house.  I'll see you kids Sunday afternoon.
Title: Isabel
Post by: jough on September 19, 2003, 05:09:42 pm
It was a non-event here in Philly.

We've had non-hurricane weather that was much worse.  A little wind, it rained for a couple of hours (not very heavily) and that was it.  South of us they lost power, but we didn't.

I was much more impressed with Floyd back in 1999. Isabel proved to be a sleepy little girl.
Title: Isabel
Post by: CortJstr on September 19, 2003, 05:27:40 pm
Our power went out at 10:45 last night and was back on by 7 this morning. One county over they have to boil their water and my mom still doesn't have power but now it's really nice out. There's no flooding and there are only little branches on the roads still.

How did the animals fair?
Title: Isabel
Post by: wombat on September 19, 2003, 06:18:27 pm
The animals in my building are all fine, and I haven't heard any big news from elsewhere except for an injured duck, so it sounds like we were lucky.

The difference between this one and Floyd for me is that in 1999 I had the kind of job where I got to stay home from work at the drop of a hat.  No lying awake wondering how scary the drive to work might be.
Title: Isabel
Post by: slink on September 19, 2003, 06:48:10 pm
Good to see you all well.
It did look all rather scary on the news here, what little coverage it got. Our house would have probably collapsed were it forced to stand in those kinds of winds, let alone out power and phone lines, which would be out for a month!

Unfortunately, wombat, you just, with your telling of the injured duck, reminded me what, as a child, put me off the whole adopting animals thing. Some relative of mine adopted me a duck at the RSPB, and I got letter from said duck, and pictures. Then, after about 9 months I got home from school to a letter saying it had flown into a power line and died. I was 7. WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE LIED TO ME!??! They destroyed me! I never loved anything ever again. Well, maybe not so bad...
Anyway, I digress.

Good to see y'all back *hands rounds the glasses and pours the post storm whiskeys*
Title: Isabel
Post by: andalucia on September 21, 2003, 06:27:57 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
an injured duck


Someone should make a list of the saddest phrases in the world and put that on top.
Title: Isabel
Post by: V-Adore on September 21, 2003, 11:51:40 pm
"An injured duck" is pretty sad, but should probably be below "an injured duckling." Or possibly "an injured baby duck," for less grammatical correctness but rather more pathos.
Title: Isabel
Post by: andalucia on September 22, 2003, 01:50:29 am
I dunno, actually ducklings kinda creep me out.


Sorry, I'm a big derailing jerk. Ok, ok, ok:  I'm glad none of us perished in the natural disaster.  Frankly I was disappointed by it:  Up in southern ontario it barely even tried.
Title: Isabel
Post by: AugustWest on September 22, 2003, 03:45:27 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Frankly I was disappointed by it:  Up in southern ontario it barely even tried.


Yeah, I understand it didn't make much of a showing in Iowa either.
Title: Isabel
Post by: side_show on September 22, 2003, 04:03:19 pm
Wow, tropical storms!  Nothing "tropical" about Winnipeg.  Right now we have the leftovers-which we always get.  It's grey and misty and kind of chilly.  I'm glad you're all safe and warm.

I played a character named Isobel, she wasScottish Hunchback who hung herself in the play.