The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: robot_god on October 02, 2006, 06:09:27 am

Title: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: robot_god on October 02, 2006, 06:09:27 am
Free shirt for fifty bucks!  Man, is it real good, though.

I just don't know what to do.
Title: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Drastic Action on October 02, 2006, 07:20:24 am
Since I want to buy the books, this would be a grand time to do so.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: mrdna1 on October 02, 2006, 04:03:54 pm
Since I wanted to buy the books, this was a grand time to do so.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Drygioni on October 02, 2006, 07:24:03 pm
Since I'm keen on procuring Achewood literature, this would be a marvellous time to do so.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2006, 07:35:55 pm
But how dreadfully unfair this is to those of us who already own all the Achewood literature.  And the apron (which I highly recommend.) 
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Drygioni on October 02, 2006, 07:42:41 pm
But how dreadfully unfair this is to those of us who already own all the Achewood literature.  And the apron (which I highly recommend.) 

Onstad's a businessman. You know there's going to be a fair amount of people who will buy stuff they already own from the Achewood store, just so they can make up that magical 50 dollars and get that shirt.

Well, maybe just one or two dudes, but that's an extra $50 for Onstad anyway. (Cue:"$50? Wow, that's an extra two bottles of 10 year old Laphroaig for Onstad to beat his dog with")
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2006, 08:18:17 pm
hm. do I spend a vast portion of the money I have "to live on" on achewood merch? I think I do. I think I eat in the cafeteria every weekend for a month, and use the savings to buy t-shirts.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: robot_god on October 02, 2006, 08:58:09 pm
Iron my shirt:

I dont have much money sir no not much money at all
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: jough on October 02, 2006, 09:40:06 pm
Yeah, it's a nice way to get people to spend more than they would have.  Figure the shirt costs him like $6 and so he only has to try to squeeze that much out of people.  Piece of cake.

Good on him, though, for coming up with a good marketing ploy.  You can't come down on the man for running his business, and let's face it, Achewood is both a comic and a business.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: theinevitable on October 03, 2006, 06:53:47 pm
people, I come to you with an important decision. I have selected my apparel, and a poster. this adds up to more than the bare minimum of 50 dollars. I would like to have money left over in my monthly budget for food and movies and such. so.

out of:
the red Achewood "Vintage Style" T
the Tenmen T
the Poster
the black/tan Great Outdoor Fight T
the Cartiledge Head T

which do I choose? who is eliminated? I have entirely too many posters in my room here, but I want some new ones for my room at home. I do not have sufficient good t-shirts. Hmm.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2006, 03:49:51 pm
Okay, upon meditation, I have the following tentative ideas for things I might like to pick up:
-- The Achewood Calling shirt
-- The Achewater shirt
-- The umbrella
-- All three zine-style publications (the two zines and A Wonderful Tale)

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on these? Particularly on the umbrella -- if I buy that sucker, I will use it, so if it's purely decorative, now's the time to speak up.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Doc on October 05, 2006, 11:53:39 am
I've wanted the science shirt and the cookbook for a good while now and this might motivate me to get them. Not actually planning on making it up to 50 bucks because that shirt just doesn't do it for me but I may just join in the general spending.
Might see how the paycheck looks this week, been an expensive week and I've had to cut my shifts at the old mill. That science shirt is cool though.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: linnea on October 06, 2006, 01:54:10 am
I saw the design and instantly shelled out $64 for 3 other shirts. I think I got "Geometry" (I really wanted a geometry HOODIE, but they don't offer them anymore), Huuugs, and The Dude Has Got No Mercy. I wanted to get the "Why you even got to do a thing" but it was in army green as was the Huuugs, so I decided that I only wanted one army green shirt.

I cannot wait for my shirts to arrive. the anniversary design is so fabulous. And yeah, since the dude makes his living doing Achewood I think that it's a pretty good way to move merch in the shop. If he allowed you to just purchase the Anniversary shirt, I likely would have done just that and not ordered three others.

Oh, and I already have all the books and cookbook. Someday I will get some of the other stuff, like the Apron and button sets and glassware.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: linnea on October 10, 2006, 05:30:10 am
Whoa!! They hired a full time warehouse man. I will get my shirt near the end of the month. Congratulations, the Onstads! It looks like their operation just upped its ante. Awesome.


Quote from: chris
Dear Achewood Fifth Anniversary Shopper,

Hello and thank you! You're receiving this email because you placed an order during Achewood's 5th Anniversary Free T-shirt Promotion. Response to the promotion was phenomenal -- so phenomenal, in fact, that we had to do something drastic (and, in its own way, phenomenal). 

That's right. We hired a human man to take over our warehouse operations. He is a good man, and thorough. He is much better than I ever was at this stuff. He is a full-time human man, BTW. 

Why am I telling you this? Because I want you to know it might take an extra few days for your order to arrive, while we get the new warehouse up to speed. Hundreds of orders are leaving our facilities every day this week. Our laser printer is spitting out so many packing lists, it's literally unpleasant to sit near (I sit near it during my writing hours, unfortunately, and can vouch for this).   

We will contact you if any information was missing from your order, and regarding any backordered items. You will receive an email when your package ships. 

Thank you for supporting Achewood, and thank you for making the fifth year the most interesting yet. Did you know that I spent half an hour crawling around under my house and deck while running ethernet cable to our warehouse this morning?   

Chris Onstad

PS: Your free shirt will ship at the end of October. Click here (http://www.achewood.com/fifth_anniversary.php) to see the original offer page for details. 
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: robot_god on October 10, 2006, 06:10:06 am
Quote
He is a good man, and thorough.

Heh.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2006, 07:18:05 am
Quote
We hired a human man to take over our warehouse operations. He is a good man, and thorough. He is much better than I ever was at this stuff. He is a full-time human man, BTW.

For some reason, I imagine a man naked but for slightly stretched out barn door briefs, significantly hairy, doing human things like belching, while he packs up orders.  Being a full-time human man takes work - I imagine part of the quality controle might include naturally shed body hairs, or even hairs from... down there... being intentionally sprinkled on to the orders, to assure the buyer a real human man was involved in the shipping of said items.  Sort of a step up from "this item inspected by #5."
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Doc on October 10, 2006, 08:43:29 am
It's a good thing he specified human because 'a good man and thorough' immediately made me think of Nice Pete. The kind of guy who'd leave a 'Suprise' in your package and remember your address because you didn't write back saying how much you appreciated this.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 01:25:29 pm
Doc, "a good man, and thorough" is totally a Lebowski line. 

Do we have to pull your hipster credentials?  Are you not hip with the kids?  Not down with OPP?
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Doc on October 10, 2006, 01:33:16 pm
You've found my secret shame big J, I have never seen the Big Lebowski.
Never, not even once.

I hear it's good, I guess?
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 01:46:00 pm
Oh for the love of all that is good and holy!

Doc, go buy a copy of The Big Lebowski, watch it, and then come back to the internet a new man.

You're useless to us otherwise.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2006, 02:00:26 pm
A full-time human man, eh?  Like they were considering hiring a lycanthrope of some kind?
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2006, 02:07:42 pm
Wow, a full time employee.  Our little boy is all grown up.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2006, 04:01:54 pm
Oh for the love of all that is good and holy!

Doc, go buy a copy of The Big Lebowski, watch it, and then come back to the internet a new man.

You're useless to us otherwise.

Yeah, what the hell is wrong with you?  You can even get it through
Columbia House for god sakes. 
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2006, 04:04:42 pm
A full-time human man, eh?  Like they were considering hiring a lycanthrope of some kind?

I presume the alternative would have been one of the cats in a husk, or possibly Lie Bot. (An automaton that lies? That's definitely part-time human.)
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2006, 07:31:52 pm
yeah, um, I have never seen The Big Lebowski.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2006, 08:15:35 pm
yeah, um, I have never seen The Big Lebowski.

Nobody fucks with the Jesus.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Drygioni on October 10, 2006, 08:17:12 pm
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2577.msg57137.html#msg57137 (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2577.msg57137.html#msg57137)

I really did deserve that from 'Dawg, who we don't see enough of these days. No activity for more than a week. Hope all is well, mate.

Anyway, after discovering where that quote was from, I ended up watching the Big Lebowski. It is good!

Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 10, 2006, 10:54:46 pm
Smokey, this is not Nam, this is bowling. There are rules.


Seriously, The Big Lebowski could be the greatest movie ever released.  Don't even bother with renting, just buy it.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 11, 2006, 02:21:20 am
Could you slide your shorts down, please?

No, I just wanted the anniversary shirt.

I understand, sir.  Could you slide your shorts down please?
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Enkidu on October 26, 2006, 12:50:03 am
Has anyone recieved their order from the free t-shirt week?  I know that he said the switch to this new, good, human man would necesitate a few extra days of processing, but its been a long time now and I haven't recieved any of my goods (not talking about the free shirt, and I'm looking forward to that too).  Just thought I'd put out some feelers before I drop Chris an email, I don't want to be a jerk.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: linnea on October 26, 2006, 02:28:27 am
Has anyone recieved their order from the free t-shirt week?  I know that he said the switch to this new, good, human man would necesitate a few extra days of processing, but its been a long time now and I haven't recieved any of my goods (not talking about the free shirt, and I'm looking forward to that too).  Just thought I'd put out some feelers before I drop Chris an email, I don't want to be a jerk.

When I placed my order I was told that my free shirt would not ship until the end of October.

I received my "Geometry" and "Huugs" shirts, but the "Dude Has Got No Mercy" was apparently backordered. I am not sure if my "Dude" shirt will arrive at the same time as the Anniversary one.

They probably won't mail the Anniversary shirts until the end of the month. It's only the 25th, dude.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Choop on October 26, 2006, 02:47:38 am
Newb canned for Plank.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: MrCB on November 07, 2006, 10:01:50 am
I ordered Vol I-V, personalized, intl shipping and nothing through the door yet...

I'm not in any hurry, I just want to know that I have achewood to enjoy in paper form.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: linnea on November 13, 2006, 04:24:34 am
When I placed my order I was told that my free shirt would not ship until the end of October.

I received my "Geometry" and "Huugs" shirts, but the "Dude Has Got No Mercy" was apparently backordered. I am not sure if my "Dude" shirt will arrive at the same time as the Anniversary one.

They probably won't mail the Anniversary shirts until the end of the month. It's only the 25th, dude.

Mmmkay, I posted that on 25 October and now it's 12 November. I think I might have to be a dick and send the Onstads a note asking whether my stuff's been shipped. Well... we did have a holiday weekend with Veteran's Day...I bet they're swamped so I don't want to be a jerk. I guess I'll check the post again on Monday and see if anything's arrived.

I'm also still waiting for the 500-g jar of Marmite I ordered from eBay on 5 October. It's probably on the slow boat from England, or else it got held up in US Customs and now all the damned Customs agents are feasting on Marmite and crispy toast. Bastards, that's MINE!!!
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: theinevitable on November 13, 2006, 04:58:46 am
oh Linn-ey, don't be silly! They would never do that!

..I'm sure they just said "what the hell is Marmite?" and threw it out.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: linnea on November 15, 2006, 05:12:15 am
They'd better not! I paid a lot of money for 500 grams of Marmite.

Anyway, I am glad that I didn't pester Onstad with another email saying "where is my Dude shirt and my Anniversary shirt" (the Dude Has Got No Mercy shirt was backordered and I haven't gotten my Anniv shirt yet), because I literally just received this in my email inbox:


Quote from: chris
Dear Friend of Achewood,

I'm writing to you because you're waiting on me to send you something! I thank you for your patience as we catch up with the October/November shopping siege. Indeed, it is a nice problem to have, but it's no fun ordering a bookset or shirt just to have the thing appear on backorder, now is it? You can't wear a backorder to class or to the mill. I can assure you that if you have yet to receive your item, it was briefly backordered, but as of this week all our inventory bays are topped off once again, and it will be in the mail to you shortly. Those waiting on a backordered item to ship with their 5th anniversary tee, they'll both be along soon!

Thank you for supporting Achewood, and thank you for your patience during this time of unexpected growth.

Best,

Chris Onstad
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 15, 2006, 04:17:26 pm
That's a nice letter to receive but I can't help but notice the Onstad touch of slightly overdone obsequious wackiness.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Enkidu on November 15, 2006, 05:42:13 pm
That's a nice letter to receive but I can't help but notice the Onstad touch of slightly overdone obsequious wackiness.
Heh.  Check out this additional email I got last night:

Quote
Dear Friend of Achewood,

You are probably wondering where your Lyle pint glass(es) are. I am here to tell you the truth! Our pint stock got unexpectedly wiped out during the 5th anniversary promotion, and we're finally getting new ones in this Monday (the world of pint glass imprinters is not a hurried one). Our new warehouse man, who does not share the pint glass imprinter's hazy, lazy attitude toward all things commercial, will then bubble wrap them and box them up and get them to you with the greatest possible haste.

Thank you for supporting Achewood, and thank you for your patience during this time of unexpected growth.

Best,

Chris Onstad
Actually I had been wondering where my entire order was. :p I didn't know anything about the lyle glasses being backordered; I thought the holdup with mine was because of the signed strip I ordered.  Eh, it'll all be worth the wait.
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 15, 2006, 05:58:20 pm
I could pick the gems outta that one or I could just say thanks for sharing.

So...

Thanks for sharing.

...hazy, lazy attitude...
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: DanSC on November 15, 2006, 07:34:28 pm
Got my shirt yesterday!
Title: Re: AcheMerch: Fifth-Anniversary T-Shirt
Post by: linnea on November 16, 2006, 04:42:29 am
Got my shirt yesterday!

You lucky BASTARD! Post a picture!

I said that in my best Eddie Izzard impersonation. I love how he says "bastard."