The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JALove on October 04, 2006, 08:27:33 am

Title: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: JALove on October 04, 2006, 08:27:33 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10042006 - Things get a little strange.

I confess I'm having a hard time following today's strip.  It seems that what Ray sees inside the building is... the outside?  And when he steps through, uh, something strange happens?

I mean, what?

I love how Onstad's alt text gets sinister or close-mouthed during the more surreal storylines.

Has there ever been a portrayal of a human person at the same scale as one of the animals, before?  Or is this... something else?
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Doc on October 04, 2006, 08:46:52 am
Quality strip, although I was expecting Ray to turn around and see he was actually inside the warehouse.

Maybe this is just Onstad trying to drive off the people who came in with the GOF arc? Those server loads getting a bit too high?
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: MattFish on October 04, 2006, 09:01:41 am
what the fuck IS that thing
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 04, 2006, 12:28:05 pm
what the fuck IS that thing

FILLER
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Doc on October 04, 2006, 12:52:21 pm
FILLER
NONSENSE
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 04, 2006, 01:36:53 pm
Ray looked in and presumably saw the landscape with the trees.  He decided against entering and closed the door again, then the little glowing humanoid opened it back up and saw Ray.

Why is it a person and not a cat or bear or otter or something.  That part is stranger than the helicopter that blinks or the long legs or the whispering earth.

If I'm Ray, I'm wishing I packed extra under##### rather than extra socks, if you know what I mean.




I wonder if Onstad has been tinkering with Illustrator and learned how to make things appear fuzzy and glowy, so now he feels compelled to include that effect/filter in his work even if it means coming up with some super-surreal arc to make it "fit." 
PROTIP: Sometimes less is more.
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: JALove on October 04, 2006, 02:32:31 pm
I keep catching myself wondering whether this has some connection with Mexican Magical Realism.
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: xzqx on October 04, 2006, 02:38:43 pm
Does anyone else wonder what happened to their long legs?

Turbo Ninja: wtf is "under******"?  Underpantzz? Underthings? Underwearzz? Except that since you're *ing it out, it must be something that is too ghastly to say even in this thread. Um... Underfuckzz? Undercuntzz? Underscrotm?
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: robot_god on October 04, 2006, 03:15:08 pm
Undercockle, an old 1800's slang term for colostomy bag.
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: smick on October 04, 2006, 03:28:11 pm
"I do say, that's almost as unfortunate as the time Lord Reginald was soundly kicked in the undercockle by a local vagrant.  I tell you, there's still a stain on the cobblestones."
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Limmo on October 04, 2006, 03:28:42 pm

Turbo Ninja: wtf is "under******"?  Underpantzz? Underthings? Underwearzz? Except that since you're *ing it out, it must be something that is too ghastly to say even in this thread. Um... Underfuckzz? Undercuntzz? Underscrotm?

Dear Exie:

There are filters in place on TOUAMB, courtesy of our capricious overlord Jough, that block certain words.  The five-letter word for those things you're wearing below your waist comes out as #####.  Mechanical humans like Liebot appear as *****s.  And everyone's favorite four-letter world becomes three letters and an asterisk. 

You fuck*ng noob.   :)
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: xzqx on October 04, 2006, 03:36:14 pm
sorry for branding myself as a n00b, and for making fun of the wrong person. I love "undercockle", though.
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2006, 03:40:11 pm
Does anyone else wonder what happened to their long legs?
My understanding of it is that their legs shrank as they were walking through Magical Realism Land/Mexico, finally getting back to normal proportions once they hit the warehouse. That said, alternately they could still have legs long enough to be standing at the level of a human being, which would explain what's up with the Magical Realism Man. He's not a human at Underground scale; they're cats at his scale.
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 04, 2006, 04:00:37 pm
Dear Exie:

There are filters in place on TOUAMB, courtesy of our capricious overlord Jough, that block certain words.  The five-letter word for those things you're wearing below your waist comes out as ******.  Mechanical humans like Liebot appear as #####s.  And everyone's favorite four-letter world becomes three letters and an asterisk. 

You fuck*ng noob.   :)

You mean pants and robot and fucking? Sounds like you need to revisit your paradigm, bub.
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: jough on October 04, 2006, 04:12:17 pm
The censors are there for your hygiene and protection.  Please do not subvert them.
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Drastic Action on October 04, 2006, 05:17:51 pm
I was confused about whether he went through or not.  The relative location of the door knob proves he did not go through.

I don't know, I find this glowing dude happy and fun.
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Drygioni on October 04, 2006, 08:46:55 pm
I spend a long day travelling to London and back (for the longest ever production of Antony and Cleopatra), and I return home to this. Basically, I can only sort of make a strange sort of gurgle when I see that glowing... dude, for wont of a better word.

Can anyone find the inspiration for said bundle of joy? He looks damn familiar.

Also, it's hard to tell if he's pleasantly surprised at seeing Ray or pulling off the creepy evil smile of "you're about to be subjected to terrible and nasty things".
Title: Re: 04 October 2006 - Through the Door of the Warehouse
Post by: Bimmicus on October 04, 2006, 11:31:25 pm
He looks like the fellow who'd be signing Cocktail Recipes' teeny-tiny paychecks.

Also, my vote is on "terrible and nasty things."