The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Dexter on October 06, 2006, 04:19:35 am

Title: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: Dexter on October 06, 2006, 04:19:35 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10062006

I have nothing to say about the strip itself; I just can't believe no one else has started a thread yet.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: AugustWest on October 06, 2006, 04:28:45 am
I am fascinated by and a little terrifed of Out-of-Focus Guy.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: robot_god on October 06, 2006, 04:34:09 am
It's true.  Every time it rings, somebody wants something from you.  It's just an endless line of people asking for favors.

Everyone I know becomes a zombie, reaching out to brush my face with their slimy hands.









immedei-edit:  This theme has been introduced pretty strongly recently.  A few weeks ago Pat is annoyed when the phone rings and says, "Who calls people anymore, how rude," and also very recently Ray is peeved because, "who calls a brother in the tub?"
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: JALove on October 06, 2006, 04:42:06 am
I think The Faintly Blurry Man has to be my favorite character ever.  I also like how, despite having largely instigated this whole ordeal, Bensington is out of sorts and just lets Ray take the lead.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: linnea on October 06, 2006, 05:19:13 am
Yeah, the out-of-focus guy is kind of scary. I keep imagining Ray and Butters in some kind of Pulp Fiction pawn shop hellhole. This cannot be good.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: theinevitable on October 06, 2006, 05:28:19 am
man, intense. women are totally like that.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: Bimmicus on October 06, 2006, 05:34:52 am
Ray's face in the penultimate panel is just heartbreaking. Like he knows they're screwed no matter what they do.

Does it matter if your Magreaux Dog isn't a "real" Magreaux Dog? Does it?

Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: Doc on October 06, 2006, 05:41:17 am
I really hope this isn't the last we see of out of focus guy, it's like he's gone inside and forgotten that they can't follow, but I crave more.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: sensate on October 06, 2006, 05:47:23 am
OF Guy = Onstead's attempt to evoke Gene Wilder. Pretty good job, too.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: linnea on October 06, 2006, 07:11:04 am
It's true.  Every time it rings, somebody wants something from you.  It's just an endless line of people asking for favors.

Everyone I know becomes a zombie, reaching out to brush my face with their slimy hands.

immedei-edit:  This theme has been introduced pretty strongly recently.  A few weeks ago Pat is annoyed when the phone rings and says, "Who calls people anymore, how rude," and also very recently Ray is peeved because, "who calls a brother in the tub?"

I like getting phone calls, but then again i have a nifty cellphone and I don't get telemarketer calls (knock on wood). My favorite is when my sisters or parents call to chat, because I miss them and hardly ever get to talk to them. I don't get a whole lot of favormonging, though. People are usually calling to invite me to do something fun, like go to a party. I wish that more people would call  me to do things like go hiking, or snowboarding when the snow falls.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: pez on October 06, 2006, 08:17:47 am
OF Guy makes today's strip a lot like reading a Paul Auster novel.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: CortJstr on October 06, 2006, 12:53:14 pm
Ah, so when Ray opened the door and just saw more "outside" that was the security system. Nifty.

What's with Butters face at the end? There's like this stray line that I don't get what it's doing. I also can't believe that I just now noticed that he slicks back his ears.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: V-Adore on October 06, 2006, 03:09:36 pm
The fact that Butters is totally out to see despite instigating this whole thing is pretty classic. Maybe he really did just charter the cheapest helicopter possible and didn't realize the magical-realist possibilities? (He seems like the kind of guy who would think that "Mexican magical realism" was a synonym for "especially well-plotted WWE match involving a pseudo-luchador," anyway.)

Also, Out-of-Focus Guy is freaking me out, but in a good, "I wonder if he ever gets together for coffee with Trouble Man and No-No" kind of a way. He's like a Paul Auster character except without whatever magical ingredient makes me allergic to Auster.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 06, 2006, 07:07:38 pm
I've always been a big fan of the "two dudes who really don't like each other and WON'T learn to be buddies no matter what they go through together... but here they are... unified by their common plane of reality in the face of something so weird or terrible and they're all the other one has until the crisis passes or they die" narrative.

I don't know if there's a shorter name for that narrative.

I'll have to consult the ghost of Joseph Campbell that George Lucas keeps in a mason jar, next time I'm up in NoCal.

The closest I have is "the universal Superman and Lex Luthor on Red Sun Planet Vs. Gay Horny Gorilla story".

Anyway, I like where this is headed even though I have no idea where this is headed.

Though... this may be one of those exception strips where the alt-text was the logical title for the thread. Matter of taste, maybe.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 06, 2006, 07:15:54 pm
I believe the term for that is
"You ok?"
"Naw man.  I'm pretty fuck*ng far from okay!"
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 06, 2006, 07:34:13 pm
"Naw man.  I'm pretty fuck*ng far from okay!"

Well, here's the thing, though.

That sequence ended with Bruce Willis getting a day to get skip town because of how screwed up that all was.

When Lex and Supes finally touch back down on Earth, no matter how long and hard they had to fight back-to-back to prevent the horror of simian anal penetration... Lex is gonna scramble to get the right meteorite into his anti-Superman gun and then Superman is gonna shrink Lex down with a gas pellet Batman invented and put him in a bottle marked "Jail".

Butters still sits down to watch Pixie and Dixie battle Mr. Jinx the Cat and puts Hunts on his potato chips.

No matter how much Ray would want to forgive him because of their battle with Soft Focus Man, he can't.

He's a crap dude posing as a player and he's gonna have to get Beef to rig a Roomba with a tape recorder to prove it.

That's just who Ray is... the kinda dude who thanks Batman by writing a glowing newspiece on Wayne Enterprises and flies off to deposit the jail-bottle up in the arctic, right between the giant key and the cyborg polar bear discotheque.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: colmore on October 06, 2006, 09:43:49 pm
The little old-timey glowing man glows as if he were projected onto a silver screen.  This has something to do with the debate over the superiority of Disney's more artful, but less funny, cartoons vs. more modern, televised fare.  Also telephones, ominous dogs, highly mobile puddles of blood, and the fact that somewhere in Ray's contract, it says he has to confront the terrifyingly surreal edges of experience about twice a year.

Coming in 2007: Some cool Stellas with Cthulhu, and a crazy impromptu trip in the haunted car of Hunter Thompson.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: vivouk on October 07, 2006, 01:40:37 pm
Coming in 2007: Some cool Stellas with Cthulhu, and a crazy impromptu trip in the haunted car of Hunter Thompson.

 ;D
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 08, 2006, 05:22:23 pm
I've always been a big fan of the "two dudes who really don't like each other and WON'T learn to be buddies no matter what they go through together... but here they are... unified by their common plane of reality in the face of something so weird or terrible and they're all the other one has until the crisis passes or they die" narrative.

I don't know if there's a shorter name for that narrative.


"Two men trapped in a tight place"
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: AugustWest on October 08, 2006, 05:23:17 pm
New avatar Bobby?
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 08, 2006, 05:25:36 pm
New avatar Bobby?

My visit to Wombat's house this weekend has given me ammunition to win the 2006 touambies.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2006, 05:26:02 pm


My visit to Wombat's house this weekend has given me ammunition to win the 2006 touambies.

Bobby, my dogs are both females.  You must have been at the wrong address.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 08, 2006, 05:28:11 pm

Bobby, my dogs are both females.  You must have been at the wrong address.

Good cover-up! Why don't you also cover up the fact that you bought them little doggie strap-ons.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: linnea on October 08, 2006, 09:04:57 pm
Dammit! I'm going to have to change my board settings now simply so I don't have to see that avatar.

I do not approve. That is just wrong.
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: DanSC on October 09, 2006, 04:24:11 am
The question on my mind is: are their legs still long?
Title: Re: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.
Post by: theinevitable on October 09, 2006, 04:56:36 am
no, they shrunk back down.