The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: satchel on September 18, 2003, 08:07:12 pm
-
The Eleventh Edition of the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary will include the word (http://www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com/info/new_words.htm) ‘phat,’ plus add new meanings for ‘avatar’ (yes, the message-board kind) and ‘goth’ (the blackclad, morbid kind).
-
There are some great words being added this time:
lurk (e.g. Onstad's reading of this message board)
bubkus (like, "JL works for NC State so she doesn't make bubkus.")
compadre (I can't believe this one's not in there)
McJob (like the one Ferocious J holds)
brewski (that which we would put in Lyle's hand by donating to Onstad)
MacGuffin (the Hitchcockian sense of driving the plot with something inconsequential)
yuppify (to make things appeal to yuppies - like, say, if we turned this message board into an SUV that dispensed cafe au lait from the steering column)
comb-over (cover that spot, baldy!)
-
Avatar? Egad. I would have thought that was still pretty esoteric terminology.
-
I wonder how long it will be before "'leet" terms start infiltrating language.
-
I wonder how long it will be before "'leet" terms start infiltrating language.
God please let's hope never!
-
God please let's hope never!
Ugh.... agreed.
-
Actually my favorite part of m-w.com is that if you enter "ghoti" the first suggestion is "giraffe"
This makes me happy in ways I can't describe.
-
Actually my favorite part of m-w.com is that if you enter "ghoti" the first suggestion is "giraffe"
This makes me happy in ways I can't describe.
That is truly awesome.
-
Actually my favorite part of m-w.com is that if you enter "ghoti" the first suggestion is "giraffe"
This makes me happy in ways I can't describe.
For those not in the loop:
ghoti is pronounced a little funny.
gh as in tough
o as in women
ti as in elation
-
Never stop learning
This thread has made me better at Trivial Pursuit.