The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on October 06, 2006, 06:18:17 pm

Title: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: jough on October 06, 2006, 06:18:17 pm
Hey kids,

Well, I'm moving soon (where will be a SURPRISE until Monday) and am wanting to lighten my load as much as possible, so I've decided to cut my DVD collection down by 25-50%.  I have hundreds upon hundreds of discs, many of which are just sitting in a box in a temperature and humidity-controlled storage container.

So I'm wondering: is there a decent place online to sell DVDs?  I sold the bulk of my CD collection to SecondSpin.com, and while they do buy DVDs too, I'd like to get at least $5 apiece for them.  They're all in excellent condition, and I have a lot of Criterion discs and foreign stuff.

Is there a decent place to sell DVDs online in bulk?  I've sold some more expensive ones on eBay, but I am not about to sell 400+ discs individually.

Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: Choop on October 06, 2006, 06:23:06 pm
list the collection on ebay as a single lot, or a couple different lots divided by quality or genre, and put a reserve equal to $5 per. You're allowed to auction lots of multiple different items.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: V-Adore on October 06, 2006, 06:24:14 pm
Alternately, what about posting a list here? I know I'd personally snap at the chance to buy some Criterion DVDs at a discount.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: jough on October 06, 2006, 06:33:56 pm
Am trying to get $15/ea. for the Criterions.

Armageddon
Avventura, L'
Bande à part
Beastie Boys: DVD Anthology
Children of Paradise
Diabolique
Diary of a Country Priest
Hidden Fortress, The
Ikiru
In the Mood for Love
Last Temptation of Christ, The
Lord of the Flies (1963)
M. Hulot's Holiday
Naked Lunch
Night and Fog
Rashomon
Rock, The
Règle du jeu, La
Scenes from a Marriage ($20)
Slacker
Solaris
Spartacus ($20)
Story of Floating Weeds, A / Floating Weeds
Strada, La
That Obscure Object of Desire
Tokyo Story
Videodrome
Salaire de la peur, Le
Woman Is a Woman, A

Maybe I could just sell them all as a lot.  I don't know.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: wombat on October 06, 2006, 08:16:33 pm

Well, I'm moving soon (where will be a SURPRISE until Monday)


Oooo, I hate suspense.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: theinevitable on October 06, 2006, 09:01:25 pm
goddamn, I want a bunch of those. This is the result of watching at least 1 awesome movie a week in my film class. hm.

I'm actually going to go watch Regle du Jeu tonight. followed by Citizen Kane. It is going to be cool.

I would certainly take a few of those off your hands. I will consider my choices wisely.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: V-Adore on October 06, 2006, 10:13:49 pm
Yeah, I'm really tempted to go for some of the Kurosawa and Ozu. I suspect Ikiru will make me cry like a tiny child, but that may not be a bad thing.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: CortJstr on October 06, 2006, 10:18:42 pm
Yeah, I'm really tempted to go for some of the Kurosawa and Ozu. I suspect Ikiru will make me cry like a tiny child, but that may not be a bad thing.

Barenaked Ladies have ruined Kurosawa for me for life. I'll never be able to hear his name again without singing "like Kurosawa I make mad films. Kay, I don't make films. But if I did they'd have a samurai" in my head.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: Limmo on October 06, 2006, 10:48:18 pm
Jough, I'd be shocked if you couldn't unload those in one batch on eBay.  Don't break up the set, sell the whole thing.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: jough on October 06, 2006, 11:58:15 pm
Limmo, I just want to get as much as I can for them, which is why I'd rather rip off strangers than you good people.

However, you may all consider purchasing DVDs from me as helping the cause if the tip jar ain't your thing.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: Limmo on October 08, 2006, 12:15:17 am
Yes, it should be all our things. 
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: jough on October 08, 2006, 12:21:11 am
Well, you two are in good stead with me.  The tip jar is still jingling a little from your previous contributions.

It's those other bastards I'm eyeballing...
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: jough on October 08, 2006, 12:21:56 am
And apparently it jingled a bit again.  Thanks for contributing to my moving fund, Limmo. :D

I will put the money towards buying a new computer desk or sofa, and think of you all fondly whenever I sit down at home.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: theinevitable on October 08, 2006, 11:57:08 pm
Jough, mail Regle du Jeu to me so that I will recieve it before tonight, OK? Writing a paper about it without being able to leave the library is no fun at all.

I am just kidding, but, it would be awesome if it were possible. Damn.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: jough on October 09, 2006, 12:54:51 am
I have it sitting on my desk right now.  It's good times.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 09, 2006, 01:15:43 am
I'd certainly cut you a fifteen buck money order for the "Slacker" set if your sale is still on.

I've always sorta wanted it and it'd be for a good cause. The good cause is you.
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: wombat on October 09, 2006, 12:16:14 pm

Well, I'm moving soon (where will be a SURPRISE until Monday)

So what's the verdict?
Title: Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
Post by: jough on October 09, 2006, 05:13:18 pm


http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3183.msg76666.html#msg76666