The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: thedudeabides85 on October 10, 2006, 04:32:45 am

Title: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: thedudeabides85 on October 10, 2006, 04:32:45 am
If you were DJing a party, and had just 15 minutes in which to get everybody dancing and convince a discerning woman (or man) of your ear for music, what songs do you play.  I'd go with:

David Bowie - Fashion (4:51)
Talking Heads - Life During Wartime (3:41)
LCD Soundsystem - Tribulations (4:58)

I would spend the remaining time either doing the ***** (automaton) or dry-humping the discerning woman (or man) I have no doubt impressed.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2006, 04:34:44 am
Quote

I would spend the remaining time doing the ##### (automaton) while dry-humping the discerning woman (or man) I have no doubt impressed.

solved that problem for you.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: robot_god on October 10, 2006, 06:06:59 am
Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (alternatively, Superstition)
Beegees - Stayin' Alive
close with Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy

For a younger crowd, I would consider Spice Girls - Say You'll Be There, Outkast - The Way You Move, or Ying Yang Twins/Lil' Jon - Damn.

If time allows, Parliament Funkadelic - Electric Spanking of War Babies (no intro), and maybe Ray Charles - What I Say.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 06:26:09 am
Violent Femmes "Dance, Motherfucker, Dance"
Parliament "Tear the Roof Off the Sucker (We Want the Funk)"
Jackson 5 "The Love You Save"
Crystal Method "Get Busy Child"
Beck "Nicotine and Gravy"
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2006, 06:30:01 am
lately, I am hell of grooving on "Steppin' Out" by the Fantastic Plastic Machine. But maybe that isn't really danceable? I am bad at judging these things.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2006, 12:53:17 pm
The Hokey Pokey is irresisitable. Good call on Stayin' Alive. I remember back in high school when that song played people would actually materialize on the dance floor. Time Warp had a similar effect, but I hung out with some pretty messed up kids.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: robot_god on October 10, 2006, 03:41:21 pm
Oh man, I forgot Jamiroquai's Virtual Insanity.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2006, 04:23:42 pm
This is hard, because I'm not really into dance music, but...

The Heartsdales Feat. Soul'd Out, "Candy Pop (Kid Whatever Pole Position Mix)"
Scooter, "How Much Is The giraffe"
Delerium, "Euphoria (Firefly)"
The New Pornographers, "Jackie Dressed In Cobras"

... then I would inevitably spoil it by playing "Who The Fuck Is Alice?" But hey.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Limmo on October 10, 2006, 05:54:41 pm
Iggy Pop, "Fall In Love With Me"
Grandmaster Flash, "White Lines"
Dirty Vegas, "Days Go By"

toss out anyone who isn't up and dancing by the first minute of the third song
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Drygioni on October 10, 2006, 09:44:53 pm
The B-52s are a definite mention. Love Shack's a little too cliche, I guess. Seriously though, anything danceable by them and I am moving like a crazy thing.

For a good old skank, though, I'd have to stick on Night Boat to Cairo by Madness. Fuckin' great!

Then, I'd have to stick on some Dr Feelgood. Roxette, for example.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2006, 09:51:13 pm
The B-52s are a definite mention. Love Shack's a little too cliche, I guess. Seriously though, anything danceable by them and I am moving like a crazy thing.

IT WASN'T A ROCK

IT WAS A ROCK... LOBSTER!!
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Drygioni on October 10, 2006, 09:54:23 pm
IT WASN'T A ROCK

IT WAS A ROCK... LOBSTER!!

You really need a pool to jump in for this one.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2006, 09:57:56 pm
You really need a pool to jump in for this one.

Well, yes, and in an ideal world everyone will have matching towels.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2006, 10:45:05 pm
It may be cliche but Love Shack has my vote because it's got the little synchronized dance bits. What with the bang-banging, shimmies, and spinning around and around and around and around.

Joy to the World seems to get the booty on the floor as well.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: jough on October 11, 2006, 03:23:22 am
B-52's "Mesopotamia" for the win.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: robot_god on October 11, 2006, 03:33:43 am
So, Dude, is this a hypothetical question or are you pulling some kind of real life scheme?
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: V-Adore on October 11, 2006, 05:04:05 am
Soft Cell's 'Tainted Love' would make an early appearance, Berlin would have to ride on the Metro, Blondi might 'Call Me' and Duran Duran would be 'Hungry Like the Wolf'.

If we're doing school dances, I think you've ignored the big winner: "Cotton Eye Joe." Were school dances not allowed to end without this one? Also, "Baby Got Back" was always a favorite, although I was eternally perplexed by the glee with which this song was embraced by white suburban girls without asses. (Hint to these girls: Sir Mix-A-Lot makes it very clear throughout the song that he does not want to get with you.)
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: thedudeabides85 on October 11, 2006, 07:35:46 am
So, Dude, is this a hypothetical question or are you pulling some kind of real life scheme?

I'm always scheming to dry hump something, but I was just making a party mix on itunes and it made me curious about what others think is essential to the boogie.

SPEAKING OF DRY HUMPING, I'd advise you all to check out the "frottage" column on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frottage).  It's got pretty vital information on the "Ivy League Rub" and also axillary intercourse, which is apparently doing it with someone's armpit.  It gave me the idea for maxillary intercourse, in which the c*ck lines the inner jaw and the recipient is advised against eating solid foods for a month.  I'm saving marriages here.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2006, 01:13:31 pm
If we're doing school dances, I think you've ignored the big winner: "Cotton Eye Joe." Were school dances not allowed to end without this one? Also, "Baby Got Back" was always a favorite, although I was eternally perplexed by the glee with which this song was embraced by white suburban girls without asses. (Hint to these girls: Sir Mix-A-Lot makes it very clear throughout the song that he does not want to get with you.)

I remember one year at homecoming they played the Macarena twice, the Electric Slide 3 times, and dance remixes of YMCA (it's already a dance song, fuckers!) and Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I'm going to repeat that, because it bears repeating: a dance remix of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I'm not familiar with Cotton Eye Joe.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: V-Adore on October 11, 2006, 02:49:41 pm
I remember one year at homecoming they played the Macarena twice, the Electric Slide 3 times, and dance remixes of YMCA (it's already a dance song, fuckers!) and Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I'm going to repeat that, because it bears repeating: a dance remix of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I'm not familiar with Cotton Eye Joe.
Be enlightened. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Eyed_Joe) Note that we're talking about the Rednex song here.

As for dance remixes, my last computer (which I still need to salvage the data from, le sigh) had an extensive collection of dance-remix MP3s. Perhaps the most spectacular member of that hallowed band was the dance remix of "Zombie," although the "Hall of the Mountain King" remix was a contender too (and bizarrely good).

Two other random tangents:
1) Have people realized yet that YMCA is a song about men hooking up with other men? This is so blatantly obvious that I can't imagine people are still in the dark about it, but are they just ignoring it? Or what?
2) If we're going to go into the wine-dark honeyed center of "bad dance songs from childhood/adolescence," I should probably invoke Ace of Base now. Really, any Ace of Base song is fine.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 11, 2006, 03:04:13 pm
Ace of Base- I have been trying to repress this memory for many a year, probably why I do so many drugs.

Ace of Base was the first cd I ever owned (I did have tapes before this) and, on a trip to Colorado from Oklahoma, I made my father listen to taht cd on repeat the whole way.  I would have been so, so mad at me if I was him.  I think he was, because he still brings this up.  Also, this is probably why I will never have kids.  Ace of Base made a huge impact on my life.  I saw the sign, and it said run from your past.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: V-Adore on October 11, 2006, 03:55:35 pm
I saw the sign, and it said run from your past.

Can'd!
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2006, 04:20:03 pm
I don't mind good remixes. Somewhere I have a BT remix of Seal. Also, Sarah McLaughlin (sp?) I'll admit to digging on mash-ups as well. But this Nirvana remix was not only a really weird choice but extremely poorly done. It was basically "Here we are now, we're Nirvana THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA" repeated for 6.5 minutes.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Drygioni on October 11, 2006, 05:16:01 pm
This is very specific, but the last 2:15 of 'Found A Job' by Talking Heads on the The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads album.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: slink on October 11, 2006, 05:28:21 pm
I don't mind good remixes. Somewhere I have a BT remix of Seal. Also, Sarah McLaughlin (sp?) I'll admit to digging on mash-ups as well. But this Nirvana remix was not only a really weird choice but extremely poorly done. It was basically "Here we are now, we're Nirvana THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA" repeated for 6.5 minutes.

Oh dear god, that is like the pinnacle of my hatred for dance remixes. And tell me they didn't actually change the lyrics?
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2006, 07:00:42 pm
Oh dear god, that is like the pinnacle of my hatred for dance remixes. And tell me they didn't actually change the lyrics?

Changing lyrics would take effort. It was a line or two of the real song, then like 7 seconds of a generic beat. They'd repeat that a couple times then move on to another couple lines.

Now DJ Jay-R - Smells Like Beach Boys (Nirvana vs. The Beach Boys) (http://www.djjayr.com/download/c.h.a.o.s.%20productions%20-%20smells%20like%20beach%20boys.mp3) is disturbingly well done.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: slink on October 11, 2006, 07:34:34 pm
Now DJ Jay-R - Smells Like Beach Boys (Nirvana vs. The Beach Boys) (http://www.djjayr.com/download/c.h.a.o.s.%20productions%20-%20smells%20like%20beach%20boys.mp3) is disturbingly well done.

That is ludicrously well done.
And, in all fairness to Nirvana then, at no point do the words "we're Nirvana" appear. It may have been their poppiest song, but they never went that far. Aaaah, but it is in the Weird Al version of the song... So I'll let you off.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2006, 08:00:30 pm
That is ludicrously well done.
And, in all fairness to Nirvana then, at no point do the words "we're Nirvana" appear. It may have been their poppiest song, but they never went that far. Aaaah, but it is in the Weird Al version of the song... So I'll let you off.

True, it was actually "entertainers" but my approxiquoteTM above was to make it seem even more sad. Because no mere words can convey the sheer crapiness of this remix.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: slink on October 11, 2006, 08:18:48 pm
True, it was actually "entertainers" but my approxiquoteTM above was to make it seem even more sad.

*cough*'entertain us'*cough*

But indeed, I do see what you mean.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 11, 2006, 08:21:31 pm
Our high school dances always included "Da Butt" by EU.  Good for the call 'n' response bit.

Cort got a big ol' butt!  Oh yeah?
Slink got a big ol' butt!  Oh yeah?
Judy got a big ol' butt!  Oh yeah?
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2006, 08:39:03 pm
*cough*'entertain us'*cough*

But indeed, I do see what you mean.

Dammit! Clearly I need to not be listening to the Weird Al version today, for it has muddled my brain.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: jough on October 11, 2006, 09:06:03 pm
Cort, for someone whose last listen via Last.fm was "Lithium" you are coming off as quite the poseur today with the Nirvana stuff.

Also, why would anyone over the age of ten listen to Weird Al except for nostalgia?
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2006, 09:22:29 pm
yeah, for real. Weird Al?
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 11, 2006, 09:27:23 pm
yeah, for real. Weird Al?

Come on, this shit is funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2006, 11:05:11 pm
Cort, for someone whose last listen via Last.fm was "Lithium" you are coming off as quite the poseur today with the Nirvana stuff.

Also, why would anyone over the age of ten listen to Weird Al except for nostalgia?

Honestly when we started talking about this I decided to listen to the Weird Al version on my iPod, which fucked me up lyrics-wise for the rest of the day.

Is that a parody of an actual song or a style-parody? Either way who is it?
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 12, 2006, 12:57:35 am
oh my god, it is a parody of my favorite new rap song!

I love that damn song. Sorry.

the track is "Riding Dirty." About how the cops were trying to catch him driving while smoking marijuana.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: robot_god on October 12, 2006, 01:42:22 am
dubbada bada duhda bada

ba... baduhda bada...

BAUM, bowm bowm   bom bom bum

SHAYS A BRIACK

HOOUSE
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: thedudeabides85 on October 13, 2006, 05:18:45 am
This is very specific, but the last 2:15 of 'Found A Job' by Talking Heads on the The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads album.

Good call but wouldn't you prefer grooving on the video version from Stop Making Sense, where the guitarist is just acting a fool with those two backup singers?  I went to a party once where someone was playing the DVD on surround sound speakers, and there were nachos too, and it was the best party.  Unfortunately, some guy approached everyone individually and would mime playing bass and say "Who am I? Who am I? Say who I am!" until you told him he was Tina Weymouth.  It was kind of like "I got to imitate Tina Weymouth, dude!  There comes a time!"
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Choop on October 13, 2006, 05:26:47 am
Now that is a Hunt's move.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Drygioni on October 13, 2006, 06:29:43 am
Good call but wouldn't you prefer grooving on the video version from Stop Making Sense, where the guitarist is just acting a fool with those two backup singers?  I went to a party once where someone was playing the DVD on surround sound speakers, and there were nachos too, and it was the best party.

You've basically described my idea of Heaven, which in my case is definitely not a place where nothing ever happens.

Man, getting the Stop Making Sense footage of Burning Down the House on would rock. The band straight up ooze funk and dancing. Then up next is Life During Wartime. Remember that avatar I had when I was first here? Grainy footage of David Byrne dancing? That was Life During Wartime, people.

A Stop Making Sense party is a must.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: smick on October 13, 2006, 07:13:08 am
Judy, how do you feel about David Byrne's solo stuff?

If you ever get the chance, you should see him.  He's still really awesome.  Plays a good mix of his solo stuff, and the old favorites.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: thedudeabides85 on October 13, 2006, 07:22:41 am
He's playing at Carnegie Hall twice in February.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Drygioni on October 13, 2006, 07:05:01 pm
Judy, how do you feel about David Byrne's solo stuff?

If you ever get the chance, you should see him.  He's still really awesome.  Plays a good mix of his solo stuff, and the old favorites.

I have Rei Momo which is nothing if not interesting, and that ubiquitous Like Humans Do song that came with Windows. I am impressed with both, and should probably seek out more of his stuff!

If I ever get a chance to see him live, I will snatch it.

Also: Welcome to Lylebot! He sounds interesting.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: FlipConstantine on October 13, 2006, 09:14:49 pm
The album "like humans do" is off of is spectacular.  It's called "Look into the Eyeball" and buy the cd if you can, because the jacket is really cool.  I don't know what it's called, but it's got that thing where when you rotate it, it changes between david byrne looking happy and david byrne looking angry.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 14, 2006, 06:31:53 am
I do not get the Talking Heads. I mean, what?
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: jough on October 14, 2006, 01:04:49 pm
Dan, whenever you have one of these thoughts, it is far far better to just let them fall backwards silently into the recesses of your mind than to project them aloud and sound like a chump.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2006, 04:05:40 pm
Dan, normally Jough and I are in agreement about music, but yeah, Weird Al is fuck*ng funny as hell and The Talking Heads are overrated.  But you don't like either one so no one is in agreement here.

~Paul
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: jough on October 14, 2006, 07:55:44 pm
Weird Al's "One More Minute" (an original, not a parody song) is one of my favourites... from when I was ten.

Yeah, I have a bunch of Weird Al mp3s.  I have a few of his old albums on vinyl (the first, Weird Al in 3D, and Dare to Be Stupid) and he's good times, but I haven't really found him funny or original since I was about ten years old.

Talking Heads are not overrated - they are rated exactly right.  They're not one of my favourite bands, but their stuff is so sophisticated and well put together that any musician has to appreciate them on some level.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 15, 2006, 12:17:52 am
Dan, whenever you have one of these thoughts, it is far far better to just let them fall backwards silently into the recesses of your mind than to project them aloud and sound like a chump.

Yea, that is what I was going to say, but mine came out in a profanity riddled personal attack.  Needless to say, I did not press "Post" and, instead, let someone with a little class handle the situation.  The Talking Heads are good, imo.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: wombat on October 15, 2006, 02:27:39 am
Can to Keith for restraint and to Jough for putting it nicely.

I like The Talking Heads. I actually hadn't listened to them for years till I got my mp3 player recently.  The stuff holds up well.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 15, 2006, 04:26:05 am
grazie wombie.  Although I must admit, sometimes I may have gone the other way (nobody deserves to be yelled at for their opinions, but sometimes I am a hypocrite), but the inev is rad, even if he doesn't like the talking heads.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 15, 2006, 04:29:51 pm
I just... I don't know. I read some article about them or something and say "oh man, they are so cool!"
and then I listen to them, and can't get past the first few minutes. oh well.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Drygioni on October 15, 2006, 04:35:59 pm
I just... I don't know. I read some article about them or something and say "oh man, they are so cool!"
and then I listen to them, and can't get past the first few minutes. oh well.

Funnily enough, this reminds me of my first experience with a certain similarly awesome Internet comic strip.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 16, 2006, 01:22:40 am
yeah, I mean, based on past experiences (Devo, Minor Threat, any Jazz... really, anything other than The Beatles) one day I'll realize that they are essential to my life.

"If I didn't like the Talking Heads, that opinion was made by an incorrect life which I no longer maintain."

also: they played at my ex's parent's wedding. I'm not sure how or why.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Choop on October 16, 2006, 03:42:30 am
Inev, tell me I misunderstood you. Tell me you don't mean to say that the Beatles are less than essential to your life.

Lie to me, just tell me that.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 16, 2006, 04:41:55 am
no, I was saying that The Beatles are the only music I have ever really intuitively loved. everything else, I initially dislike. unless it's similar to something else I like.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: Choop on October 16, 2006, 04:51:09 am
Oh thank god

i was worried for you there
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: jough on October 16, 2006, 12:25:18 pm
I have to say that some of my favourite musicians or bands were those for which I initially felt a great dislike.  The first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" I thought it was whiny crap - then it grew on me until I realised that it is whiny brilliance instead.

The same holds true for many of my favourite bands.  I don't know what it is.  Maybe anything new or interesting enough sounds "wrong" at first.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: CortJstr on October 16, 2006, 01:08:36 pm
The first time I listened to The Breeders I couldn't fathom how they could suck so much when that one song on the radio, Canonball, was so cool. Luckily I realized the sucking was just an illusion that could only be dissipated by repeated exposure. It was like some kind of merit test so that only the patient could get at the musical goodness underneath. And of course The Breeders were just a gateway band to the Pixies.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: slink on October 16, 2006, 01:24:46 pm
I can't think of many bands I have come to like. There are records that have taken me a few listens to really get, but not things I've disliked at first. The only thing that I always hated and actually quite like now, would be Tool. But then, as I say, I hadn't really listened to them, and when I did, I liked them straight off anyway.
I'm more  prone to going off things. There are a few albums (though again, not many) that I liked for a month or so and then never listen to again, and can't even imagine listening to again.
Title: Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
Post by: theinevitable on October 16, 2006, 06:22:20 pm
I don't often come to enjoy things which I once hated. Normally, I initially just think "meh" and get tired of listening to it. then a while later I say "Oh fuck! (whoever) are brilliant!" and start listening to them all the time.