The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jay-ell on October 12, 2006, 01:57:40 pm

Title: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2006, 01:57:40 pm
Last night I went into a room full of strangers and asked them to laugh at me. 

And they did. 
Title: Re: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: AugustWest on October 12, 2006, 02:03:15 pm
Congratulations!  That had to take some serious guts to do.
Title: Re: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2006, 02:03:52 pm
They all laughed at me when I told them I wanted to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.


Open mic night, JL, or are you lining up gigs? What kinds of material did you use? Was it fun? I've contemplated trying stand-up, but the only thing I can write is code. My jokes, as is obvious by my very few TCoDPs, all suck.
Title: Re: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: wombat on October 12, 2006, 02:37:59 pm
You mean people don't normally laugh when you walk into a room like they do when I -

Never mind.
Title: Re: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: jough on October 12, 2006, 02:51:49 pm
You show any skin to get their attention first?

I'm glad it went over well.  Anyone sneak in a recorder of any kind?
Title: Re: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: V-Adore on October 12, 2006, 03:45:02 pm
Seriously! Do you clang when you walk?

Mad props, yo.
Title: Re: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2006, 07:21:41 pm
Questions answered in order of appearance --

Open mic night.  Pedro decided to go for it a couple of weeks ago and after being reprimanded for trying to write jokes for him I decided to write my own damn act. 

Auditioning was more nerve-wracking than actually performing. 

I started out with a bit about how I was a little nervous, because it's my first time.  ("I've never done this before.  I mean, I like to watch.  You know, late at night, on cable?  And sometimes I practice when I'm in the shower.  But I've never actually...you know.  Certainly not with a room full of strangers.)  Then I talked about the losers I used to date -- normal girl stuff, I guess -- and closed with a joke that requires that you know that there is a $5 cover charge for Open Mic night at this club. 

"When my son was born, we put a jar in our bedroom and every time we have sex we put a dollar in it.  We're excited, because we finally saved up enough to go somewhere. 



"So here we are."  (Ba-dum.) 

The nice thing is that there wasn't a single joke that nobody laughed at.  The bonus is that there were several intermediary jokes that got much bigger laughs than I expected.  So overall, it was a success. 

I did not "show them my boobs" or anything, but considering that I was the only female comedian in the lineup and that I spent the first minute of my bit spouting double entendres I think I got their attention anyway. 

Nobody sneaked in a recorder.  Sorry.  But I will record myself doing the act at home sometime this weekend (for posterity) and Pedro and I will post links at some point. 

Pedro did a great job as well, I should add.  He's really funnier than me.  And I feel like I worked harder on my material for roughly the same quality of audience response, so I think he's more of a natural than me. 

Finally, I do not clang when I walk, but I do often jangle. 

Thank you. 

Also: Next time I have promised not to exploit my sexuality for the entertainment of others.  My inner feminist is curled up in the fetal position in the corner of my psyche, rocking back and forth, sobbing. 

But hey, she's not really that much fun anyway. 
Title: Re: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: Drygioni on October 12, 2006, 07:29:31 pm
It sounds like it went really extremely well! The little snippets you've posted are really quite brill. Here's hoping you keep it up! The world needs laughter.

Well done to Pedro, too. He must have been great; if it's any indication his posts are high-larious. Any other comedians have some considerable thunder to steal when you two are around.
Title: Re: Try the veal; I'll be here all week.
Post by: theinevitable on October 12, 2006, 09:12:27 pm
*gives JL The High Five*

that first bit was my favorite. I think. the 5$ joke.

congrats on having bigger balls than me. I'm sure in your case they are tucked away somewhere unnoticeable, you know, you being a pretty lady and all. (right? I feel like I've heard that you're pretty. also, you live in North Carolina, where I will be this weekend. Best State.)