The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2006, 08:31:05 am
-
RIP Freddy Fender (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061014/ap_en_mu/obit_fender)
I saw Freddy Fender perform at the height of his popularity at a roadhouse in Conroe Texas. I was tagging along with my parents. I wasn't too jazzed about seeing him as I wasn't much of a fan of his country and western music, but what the hell, so I tagged along with my parents who were going. The reason my folks were going is because one of my Dad's friends knew Freddy Fender, they were in Jail together. So we went to the show and got to meet him and he was really nice. I was actually surprised by the show because he really rocked out, playing mostly rockabilly and very upbeat numbers. It turned out to be a very interesting evening. I had never been to a place like that before that night. I'm still not much of a fan, but I thought I would pass on that memory.
Interestingly, at a birthday party for my brother tonight, the waitstaff at the Mexican restaurant quoted the Texas Tornadoes "Hey Baby Que Paso" in their wacky version of happy birthday.
~Paul
-
Okay, this is really weird. I heard he died last Monday. He did not actually die until Saturday.
I wasn't a fan, but I heard the name and knew some of his songs.