The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: wombat on November 01, 2006, 12:45:01 am
-
We have a thread about the day we change the clocks, but not about Halloween which is a much better holiday?
This year my Halloween goal was not to buy too much candy for a change. I mean, I just had to throw out some leftovers from last year. I know they have a lot of preservatives but I hesitate to eat a year old Milky Way. But I am now looking anxiously at the small pile of candy that is left when it's only 7:45. I really want to have some leftovers of this Fear Factor brand candy in the shape of bugs and worms in dirt and suchlike.
I did not do anything good this past weekend because I had to work, but surely some of you went to cool parties in cool costumes that you can post pictures of.
-
We've only had 14 trick or treaters so far, and most of them don't even bother saying "trick or treat."
I'm the guy who says "Aren't you supposed to say 'trick or treat'?" and then they roll their eyes like I did when I was a kid and give a half-hearted "trick or treat."
Yep. That's me. I'm that guy.
-
dang, there is neither tricking nor treating going on. I only saw 1 kid dressed up all day! Fuck this shit!
tonight we're all watching The Shining, though. That should be fun.
-
In a village where there are two children, trick or treating didn't really work out this year. Suffice to say, I am now sick to the stomach of large quantities of sweets, at least until Christmas rolls around .
-
We took my child, dressed as a dragon, on a whirlwind tour of five houses of people we knew. Our neighborhood is the suck for trick or treaters, most grownups in this neighborhood turn off their porch lights and most kids go up the street to the 'hood where the Benjamins be. So we got in the minivan and did the drop-in on friends and relatives to show off our cute kid.
Photos here (http://picasaweb.google.com/jldunston/Halloween06).
-
We had only 40 kids this year, compaired to 60 last year, but this was the day after a major snow storm, so it was sort of to be expected.
Best costume of the night: Kid aroung 9 had on one of those half-head masks of Elvis, a t-shirt he had drawn on to make look like a football jersey and a plastic axe. I asked him who he was supposed to be and he proclaimed proudly "Elivis and Miscellanious Costume!"
Also several cute toddlers that were clearly too small to eat the candy their parents were collecting.
-
I haven't gotten one trick-or-treater since I moved to California. I guess living in a... gated apartment building where... nearly everyone is either an unattached immigrant from Mexico or a twenty-something white kid trying to scrape by until their "big break"... you're not going to get a lot of child-activity, are you?
Seems like almost all the Halloween activity revolves around "community centres" and "in-home events" and theme parks and haunted houses and little parking-lot carnivals and they just kinda... stage... trick or treating within the confines of those situations.
Which is sad to me but, like, I grew up in a small town at the edge of the Adirondacks where no one locks their doors so... like... perhaps I was the exception and not the other way around. Maybe in urban areas, there just never was just roving bands of ten-year-olds each accompanied by one token adult, maurauding for treats.
The other, sadder, Halloween thought is... a wedding's for the wife (or more often, the wife's mother) and maybe Halloween's for the kids and... a kid anymore I ain't, you know? Maybe it's better to be out here where the entire idea of Halloween is overconstructed and it can't depress me so much that I'm an adult, as opposed to the quiet little redneck podunk whitebread pissant mountain town of my origination.
-
Fall Festival Costume (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/285914666/).
~Paul
-
Fall Festival Costume (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/285914666/).
~Paul
Dang Paul, swish costume you got there!
-
I know we talked about this before, but I can't remember, is swish good?
~Paul
-
Maybe in urban areas, there just never was just roving bands of ten-year-olds each accompanied by one token adult, maurauding for treats.
Yes there were. I did it in New York City. Really, it is an activity which is even more suited to densely populated areas. More candy per distance walked, after all.
The fact that Halloween gets more organized every year also depresses me. Trick or treating is our last authentic folk tradition, it seems to me. But we had more kids this year than last, even though they had some kind of organized thing on the weekend as well. So you may live in the wrong neighborhood now but it's not dead yet.
-
Paul-- yes, swish is good.
-
RE: Swish
noted and educated
My Halloween candy gifting was suburbia busy goodness.
-
When I was a kid we took candy from strangers. I only got a razor blade once.
~Paul
-
See, we took it upon ourselves to encourage the greed last night. The question of the evening was "which do you like chocolate bar or chips?" to which most good natured kids looked slightly confused, and would reply with a statement of preference, which was fulfilled. Only the ones who said "both" got rewarded with words of praise and both tiny bags of Doritos and Caramilk/Wunder/Crispy Crunch/Crunch bars.
In a neighborhood where three murders have happened within a ten minute walk from my house in the past month, it's sort of a relief to see neighbors encouraging their kids to be at least moderately social.
We got 20 less kids than last year, and have so much chocolate/chips left over that it's crazy. If I don't contain myself, tomorrow I'll have diabetes. Those Crunch bars a basically chocolate covered sugar. Also to my horror, I discovered the delight of sandwiching a mini Wunder bar between two squares of Caramilk bar... Basically, what I'm telling you all is that you need to pray for me.
-
We sometimes used to do an experiment along similar lines - instead of handing out the candy, we just held out the huge bowl and let kids take what they wanted. But I don't do it any more. I kind of felt sorry for the good kids who, when presented with this bounty, would say "How many?", sometimes kind of nervously. It seemed actually more stressful than fun for some of them. I guess those were the ones who knew they were being tested. And in comparison, the ones who just dug in and grabbed handfuls seemed like appalling creatures - which isn't entirely fair, because what about the situation told them that this was the wrong way to behave?
-
We have a container half-full of Dum Dum lollipops that is at least four years old. Those are reserved expressly for kids who show up that are too old to be trick-or-treating and couldn't even bother to put on a damn costume. We have better stuff for the legit kiddies.
We asked Lizzie a couple months ago what she wanted to be for Halloween. "A cloud." "What? A clown?" "No, a cloud! Like in the sky!" Mrs. del Vaca, once again being game and crafty, made her a little white pullover and sewed fluffy white pillow stuffing onto it.
Catherine was some sort of psycho clown princess, stuff thrown together from our dress-up box. It was effective. She's a bit too young to completely get it. Elizabeth sure as hell gets it though--they got home, she dumped out her treat bucket and sorted through everything, and then asked to go visit more houses!
-
thanks to weight-watchers, my mom was dedicated to passing out only pretzels this year. PRETZELS! with no more than 6 in a bag. i counted. i spent the evening with her and my brother hoping to experience a little bit of the trick and treating since my neighborhood is all about the smoking crack, but even in their safe and child-ridden neighborhood we only got 5 or 6 all night.
-
Pretzels, or anything that goes into a plastic baggie and was not pre-wrapped in a factory always went right into the garbage can in my house.
-
Anyone else try to watch Mark Borchardt and Mike Shenk (from American Movie) attempt to host "Night of the Living Dead" on G4 Halloween Night? It was kind of amusing and some of the little info bits and interview snippets with George Romero were pretty funny. I still wonder if they aren't really putting on the goofiness of their personas but I'm starting to believe that's how they really are.
-
Best costume of the night: Kid aroung 9 had on one of those half-head masks of Elvis, a t-shirt he had drawn on to make look like a football jersey and a plastic axe. I asked him who he was supposed to be and he proclaimed proudly "Elivis and Miscellanious Costume!"
Screw "best costume of the night"; this may well be the best costume of all time.
-
cloud (http://www.bigfool.com/elizabeth/hweencloud.jpg)
clown (http://www.bigfool.com/catherine/hweenclown.jpg)
-
OMG, are you allowed to make a child wear a wig like that? Are you sure the county won't come and take her away?
-
As long as we don't also make her carry a sign saying "JOHN 3:16," it's OK.
-
I didnt' have any trick or treaters because I was testing out for my EMT-II class. I did pass the practical exams, though, so once I get my written results I'll be legit. Not being home for trick-or-treating worked out well because I don't trust myself around candy. Had I bought any for the purposes of handing it out to trick-or-treaters, I would have just ended up passed out on the floor with an overturned candy bowl, a chocolate-smeared face, and an enlarged pancreas.
-
Hi, uh, is that sort of oddly sensuous posting so common as to pass without comment for four days?
I appreciated it lady.
-
There ye have it, a man aroused by an enlarged pancreas.
Also, V - I forgot, the kid also had a black cape.
-
Hi, uh, is that sort of oddly sensuous posting so common as to pass without comment for four days?
I appreciated it lady.
Heh! I aim to please.
-
Hi, uh, is that sort of oddly sensuous posting so common as to pass without comment for four days?
I appreciated it lady.
Heh! I aim to please.
Big pancreased pegging. HOTT!
-
oh holy damn i said that about the peggin' gal
ohh jeez she is just so out of my league
that is just so shameful for me i gotta back the dickens outta this one
ohhhh shiiiiiit!
-
Big pancreased pegging. HOTT!
that is wrong on so many levels.
-
I could read the end of the page before this to figure out what is going on but I feel like it's probably more fun if I don't.
-
Pegging? ...linnea...and...pegging...?
I have a sneaking suspicion I missed an inside joke sometime last year. Will someone CJ this one for me? Or is it exactly like it sounds?
-
Pegging? ...linnea...and...pegging...?
I have a sneaking suspicion I missed an inside joke sometime last year. Will someone CJ this one for me? Or is it exactly like it sounds?
"Exactly as it sounds" is the safe bet here.