The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jough on September 20, 2003, 06:27:36 am

Title: Google Gone?
Post by: jough on September 20, 2003, 06:27:36 am
I use google pretty much every day.  Today, 404 not found.

http://www.google.com

No go.

However, if I go to one of Google's IPs, there it is, like:

http://216.239.37.103

Is this just a connectivity problem from my location or is Google.com down?

Very strange.
Title: Google Gone?
Post by: Mite on September 20, 2003, 01:00:04 pm
Seems to work fine now. Don't scare us like that!
Title: Google Gone?
Post by: CortJstr on September 20, 2003, 02:46:03 pm
There could've been a router down between you and it or something. I've had a few spontaneous DNS errors over the past couple days because of all the power problems on this coast.
Title: Google Gone?
Post by: jough on September 20, 2003, 10:25:03 pm
That could be, as I'm now dialed-in through NetZero because Comcast's cable connection is down (man do I not miss surfing this way) and NZ was able to find Google just fine.

I should note that I do live within about a half an hour driving distance of Google's east coast network farm.  I can feel its power beckoning me while I sleep.

I figured Google wasn't down in toto because Plagiarist.com got 20,000 referrals from Google yesterday.  Fewer than usual, yes, but for the day after a major storm that's not bad.

And interestingly enough, Google sends this board around 400 unique visitors a day.

WHY AREN'T YOU PEOPLE POSTING?
Title: Google Gone?
Post by: slink on September 20, 2003, 11:04:42 pm
Quote from: "jough"

I figured Google wasn't down in toto because Plagiarist.com got 20,000 referrals from Google yesterday.  Fewer than usual, yes, but for the day after a major storm that's not bad.


Wow, been about 5 years since I got numbers anything like that (thanks to the orbital site I ran for about 6 months or so).

(can't say as I miss the responsibility either!)
Title: Google Gone?
Post by: jough on September 20, 2003, 11:58:21 pm
Plagiarist gets odd numbers sometimes, especially considering it's a site about *poetry*.  But during exams it gets up to about 80,000 hits a day.  Now it's a nice comfortable 40-50,000, with Google sending the majority of traffic our way.

We love this little search engine.  And it loves us back.

And for a curiosity, search for the word "approximately" in Google.  It's inexplicable.

-- Jough
Title: Google Gone?
Post by: Mite on September 21, 2003, 12:10:38 am
Wow - that is pretty weird.
Title: Google Gone?
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2003, 02:41:50 am
Quote from: "jough"
And for a curiosity, search for the word "approximately" in Google.  It's inexplicable.


Is this the effect of a Google-bomb?
Title: Google Gone?
Post by: jough on September 21, 2003, 06:57:20 am
No, it is due to no foul-play or trickery on my part.  Actually, I didn't know about it until yesterday when a friend of mine e-mailed me to tell me.

Why they would be googling the word "approximately" is beyond me.

However, my first company name is "Approximately, Inc." and I used it on Jough.com often.

And back when I was first on the web I went by "Jough Approximately."  Don't ask me why.

So I guess it's pretty explicable after all.