The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Drygioni on November 10, 2006, 10:37:27 pm

Title: Cybernations
Post by: Drygioni on November 10, 2006, 10:37:27 pm
Out of interest and for my own personal gain, does anyone here play Cybernations? (http://www.cybernations.net/default.asp) I know at least some of you here would be interested in this kind of thing.

Basically, you have your nation, collect taxes, and use the resulting money to improve it in myriad ways. But, you can make fight with other nations, trade, etc. which makes it quite fun, and most of the people aren't dicks about it, it seems. It takes a while to get going, but to start with just check in daily to manage the daily tax income and time will fly like it's gone out of fashion. Roll on huge armies and nuclear warfare with others!

If you join, I can trade you giraffe and Sugar. I'm sure the Achewood cookbook would have a recipe utilising both commodities.

Christ, I've never felt like more of a nerd in my life. This is what getting older is like.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2006, 11:40:26 pm
I do not know what to name my country. dang.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 10, 2006, 11:44:15 pm
(http://a-arca.uol.com.br/v2/images/pipoca_artigo_vingançanerds_03p.gif)

NERDS!                 NERDS!                     NERDS!
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 10, 2006, 11:45:59 pm
DANG MAN I HOPE YOU REALIZE THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2006, 11:52:49 pm
Judy: I am the small Gibraltar-country of "Leiria". Kind of lame name, but, sorry.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Ben-San on November 11, 2006, 02:02:32 am
I started a nation (Laclon) with an anti-nuclear weapons stance and a primarily Jewish population. Naturally, my randomly-selected natural resources are uranium and pigs.

Anyone want some radioactive bacon?
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: AugustWest on November 11, 2006, 03:38:01 am
I am Gurnia and I have Silver and Coal.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Choop on November 11, 2006, 05:26:18 am
I'm Cornelius; I've got gold and iron. And 72 citizens!

UPDATE: 80!
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Drygioni on November 11, 2006, 11:51:40 am
Oops, I should probably have mentioned: My nation is Poguemahone.

If we all choose to be the Black Team we can trade with each other and get happiness bonuses, so that might be an idea.

Anyway, I'll try and get you all at least £750 in aid by the end of the day. I'm not sure if there's a limit to how much I can aid people.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: jough on November 11, 2006, 05:38:12 pm
Man, this thread is all "ching chong wing wong" to me.

I am saying that I do not understand what you are saying.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: FlipConstantine on November 11, 2006, 07:55:03 pm
I'm the nation of MoMoney, and i'm still figuring this shit out.  Basically, I want the drug trade to flourish, is there a button for that?

EDIT: Sweet, I set my drug policy to "Our leaders are aware of the situation but are too addicted to drugs themselves to do anything about it"
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: wombat on November 11, 2006, 11:16:59 pm
"Radioactive Bacon" would be a good name for a band.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: AugustWest on November 12, 2006, 10:57:02 pm
Judy: I am the small Gibraltar-country of "Leiria". Kind of lame name, but, sorry.

Dude, I accidentally cancelled my trade agreement with you.  I resent it.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Choop on November 13, 2006, 12:45:42 am
Hey, I've just joined the Black team, as Judy recommended, but my team bonuses on my trade agreements don't appear. Should I cancel trade agreements to start them up again? Would you guys (inevitable, auggie, and ben-san) reapprove them?

Also, Judy, I'd have offered a trade of my gold and iron for your giraffe and sugar, but I"m already getting sugar from inev, my nation's isolated and coastal (though somehow giraffe isn't a resource) and I want the lead and aluminum I'm trading for in the fourth spot.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Ben-San on November 13, 2006, 01:31:46 am
Yeah, I was considering the cancel-and-reoffer thing too. It seems like you don't get a happiness bonus from same-team deals unless you were on the same team at the time the deal first went through or something.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: AugustWest on November 13, 2006, 03:48:23 am
I resent it.

That is, I sent it again.  I don't mean that I am offended by it.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Ben-San on November 13, 2006, 03:57:10 am
I am also re-sending my trade offers so that the people may be made happy by team bonus.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Drygioni on November 13, 2006, 07:39:15 am
Right guys, as far as I'm aware, I think you DO get the happiness bonus, it just doesn't show up on the trade agreements. It can be hard to tell but if you check your happiness rating it should be one point higher than normal. Of course, I'm not sure. Re-submitting can be risky for people you don't know (they might get tetchy) so leave it to your discretion.

Choop, do not worry about not offering trade. I already have gold and iron is not so much use to me right now.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: wombat on November 13, 2006, 12:57:50 pm
That is, I sent it again.  I don't mean that I am offended by it.

Thanks for clearing that up, although I have no idea why I am reading this thread.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2007, 10:22:23 pm
Hey, if anybody's still playing this, massive inter-alliance war has broken out. SomethingAwful thought CyberNations belonged to them, and didn't want to let Fark play. Treaties, multi-defense pacts, etc., have all been activated.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Drygioni on January 10, 2007, 10:54:32 pm
Yeah, the alliance I'm part of (CDS) are getting involved, and it's nothing if not fun. Some people are pretty worried about losing their nation's bits and pieces, and while I will miss the months of small effort put into upgrading my nation war is a lot of fun.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2007, 11:02:21 pm
I'm in LOSS. Are we co-League-rs?
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 10, 2007, 11:13:54 pm
Hey, if anybody's still playing this, massive inter-alliance war has broken out. SomethingAwful thought CyberNations belonged to them, and didn't want to let Fark play. Treaties, multi-defense pacts, etc., have all been activated.

There is a deep and abiding irony in the idea of a website mostly devoted to making fun of people who they see as taking the internet too seriously... taking the internet too seriously. Sometimes I find SomethingAwful to be very entertainingly mean and sometimes... their meanness comes from so deep inside the small details of the things they're making fun of that... it undermines the premise of their meanness.

EX:

Someone going to a screening of Rocky Horror Picture Show dressed as Star Trek characters so as to mock the entire premise of using a so-bad-it-crosses-over-double-and-becomes-superbad film as a way to tightly orchestrate and choreograph the manifestations of sexualities  the partici****** can't come to grips with in the normal context of their lives? FUNNY.

Someone going to a screening of Rocky Horror Picture Show so as to mock people who don't get the rituals of the Rocky Horror Picture Show absolutely correct? NOT FUNNY.

When you make fun of the corest-of-the-core of a fandom (and calling them crazy/deluded/childish/etc) using a terminology and understanding only those people you're making fun of could even hope to understand, you're done the rabbit hole of self-loathing and you've overshot comedy.

Somethingawful seems to do this with large roleplaying games and shoot 'em ups pretty frequently.

I worry their often-really-entertaining critique of SecondLife is heading there.

EDIT: Wow, the "trousers" edit even kicks in on "particitrousers"? Neat.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: coldfrog on January 27, 2007, 09:51:23 am
Heh...  I started playing this only because Drew from toothpaste for dinner mentioned it in a blog (even though he mentioned that he stopped playing it).  Then I accidentally click the wrong list of stuff and hey, here it is again!
So cool.  My nation is called the Kalmar Nyckel, a ship that I sail on on occasion.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on February 04, 2007, 03:48:26 am
I have created the nation of Ubonia. It is a quiet nation of coal and oil and honest people. I look forward to trading with you all.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on February 05, 2007, 06:33:41 pm
The nation of Mistralia is born!

It is a small nation with expensive tastes. I shall enjoy sipping my kir royales on the palace terrace overlooking the sea. What? The people want a system of government that exercises total control over its subjects? Well, I'd be more than happy to oblige.


What? I have to do math and collect taxes? Don't I have *people* for that? I just want to enjoy my kir royale!


*sigh*

I look forward to trading with you all so that I may have enough to annex Ubonia. ;)
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Choop on February 05, 2007, 09:33:59 pm
Set your government to Monarchy and ignore their complaints. Nothing else is good for making money.

Are you on the Black team? What are your resources?
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on February 05, 2007, 09:38:55 pm
Yes, I am on the black team. Good to know I can keep Mistralia as a monarchy without much ado. At lelast not from the peons. :)

My resources are oil and gems. I think I sent you a trade request, actually; but maybe not.
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2007, 05:52:40 pm
Dunstonia, a peaceful nation of Communist Christians, ruled by the Benevolent Jay-Ell, is three weeks old.  We produce coal and spices and our population is currently 147 and growing.  They are in love with me, of course. 
Title: Re: Cybernations
Post by: coldfrog on February 08, 2007, 09:39:11 pm
Does anyone have gems and something else?  I am very close to getting Affluent Population and all I need is gems.  I have iron and wine, so if you want to hammer something out while drunk, I'm the best country to trade with.  I am team aqua!  because I am on the water and also a sailing ship.