The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Victoria Waterfield on November 15, 2006, 07:15:11 am

Title: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 15, 2006, 07:15:11 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11152006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11152006)

Most of the time, Beef and Molly seem like an excellent couple, and yet in certain fundamental ways they fail to communicate.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: linnea on November 15, 2006, 07:31:46 am
Onstad's alt-text goes out to all the people who spend too much time in there and then wonder why people sprint into the bathroom right after the poo-er guiltily emerges and slinks outta there. Dammit, man, I ain't wanna go in there. Believe me. However, I have to sprint in there because I have to pee really bad and I don't wanna go into renal failure, goddammit!

People who take extended craps in the bathroom: The rest of us with hamster-sized bladders hate you. Not only do we have to wait 20 minutes for you to finish evacuating yourself, the bathroom and likely the rest of the house smells awful after you are done. For God's sake, light a candle or strike a match or keep some Ozium or some other such type of spray in the bathroom so as to not kill the next person who goes in there. Also turn on the fan before you get started and keep it running.

Can you tell that I'm one of the few people who cleans the damn bathroom at the fire station? I swear, I have to clean it before I use it about 90% of the time. I've put signs up and everything, but some of my fellow firefighters aren't very considerate. Bastards.

**EDIT: Whoa, I'm at 555 posts!
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: Drygioni on November 15, 2006, 07:34:55 am

 Not only do we have to wait 20 minutes for you to finish evacuating yourself, the bathroom and likely the rest of the house smells awful after you are done. For God's sake, light a candle or strike a match

I think I've spotted a flaw in this part of Linnea's plan. Anyone else think they've got it?
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: theinevitable on November 15, 2006, 07:53:35 am
good lord.

Quote
if romeo had a stench like this they would have only needed like the first three pages of that play
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: DanSC on November 15, 2006, 08:52:00 am
I feel like the thread title should have been 'a set of bowels with a laptop.' Beef looks so sad, so increasingly sad in the last three panels.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: Drastic Action on November 15, 2006, 09:54:02 am
I think I've spotted a flaw in this part of Linnea's plan. Anyone else think they've got it?

Perhaps you are talking about the addition of flames to methane?
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 15, 2006, 10:06:25 am
I feel like the thread title should have been 'a set of bowels with a laptop.'

I prefer a more understated thread title.

I just noticed that Beef has the old-style slit eyes in the first panel, which is an interesting touch.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: Bimmicus on November 15, 2006, 12:21:41 pm
Clearly, Achewood needs more fart jokes to close the gap with PvP.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: CortJstr on November 15, 2006, 02:07:07 pm
Onstad's alt-text goes out to all the people who spend too much time in there and then wonder why people sprint into the bathroom right after the poo-er guiltily emerges and slinks outta there. Dammit, man, I ain't wanna go in there. Believe me. However, I have to sprint in there because I have to pee really bad and I don't wanna go into renal failure, goddammit!

Oh it's not that bad. A person only makes like 4 or 5 bathroom trips in a day. Just space them out better around the poopin'. And and of course pooping takes a while. If I spent all that money on printed collections of online comic strips then dammit I'm going to get my money's worth out of them via can-reading.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 15, 2006, 04:04:14 pm
This strip nicely illustrates why couples/families should have a two crapper rule. Yeah, use the fan and spritz some Febreeze or something and slide the door mostly closed to prevent spread, but the backup can will save a relationship and is worth the cost/effort. Unless you're the kinda guy who can just use a sink without shame (me) (but I doubt the waiting thing is really a man problem).

Also, it's nice to not have kitty nips for a conversation piece today.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: colmore on November 15, 2006, 04:52:08 pm
So it seems like (in the past at least) it's been a forum consensus that Molly ain't too good for Beef.  I've wondered why exactly this is.

Now obviously, Beef is the fan-favorite character, and no woman will be good enough for him, and also Chris doesn't like writing women so she isn't going to be as well-developed as the other characters.  But Molly seems pretty patient and understanding, and knows when to not ask too many questions ("Fine.  You're doing one of your things.")  And when dating someone with a major emotional disorder, that kind of thing goes a long way.

I guess what I'm saying is no way is Beef going to be in any relationship that doesn't have some dynamics.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: CortJstr on November 15, 2006, 05:08:49 pm
I think Molly's character has changed somewhat as well. When's the last time you heard her talk about coding? Or reading Wired? Lately she seems to be more into Cosmo and less into the things that Beef likes.

That said it makes more sense for Onstad to show us her bitchier moments because as Squiggy once said, the essence of drama is conflict. We never get to see Molly and Beef snuggling on the couch watching G4 for the same reason we never see the Enterprise actually map that nebula they're always heading to.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: pmcd9 on November 15, 2006, 05:22:55 pm
we never see the Enterprise actually map that nebula they're always heading to.

That's because the Romulans always come along and fuck things up.

Oh shit did I just out myself?

~Paul
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: SpeedyG on November 15, 2006, 09:13:59 pm
I think Beef and Molly's relationship difficulties are fairly common. When you first meet someone you look for all the things you have in common, "You like Phish, i smoke pot! etc. (This is super-de-duper true with Molly & Beef because Beef is in a fairly new setting i.e. Heaven and was just looking for a relationship to grasp on + he was hella wasted + he had never had a girl up to that point in his life)  But as a relationship continue you start finding all the things that are different, and hence the friction. Like everyone else has said its more interesting to see conflict than just everyday events. I cite all reality TV shows, just look at the Real World you never seem them just sittin' on the couch watchin' Jeopardy, discussing if Alex looks better with or without his mustache. All you see is them getting wasted, having sex, and bitchin' at each other, it's just what people want to watch. Really it's the essence of entertainment if we wanted to watch people watch TV we could install a mirror above the set and all be happy. And really what is Achewood but a reality show with anthropomorphic stuffed animals. So, i feel that Molly and Beef's relationship is in a lot better condition than the strips might lead you to believe, after all i give her mad street credz for stickin' around in Grandma K's trailer as long as she did, and for putting up with Beef's idiosyncrasy.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: nDed on November 15, 2006, 11:17:08 pm
I think it's amusing that Molly refers to using the toilet as powdering her nose. Unless, of course, she had a genuine obligation to apply powder to her nose and was kept from doing so for 20 minutes.

Beef's old-fashioned slit eyes are awesome, in my opinion.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 15, 2006, 11:47:15 pm
My girlfriend is also able to know when I'm up to "one of my things" and how to deal with them and... it is pretty much the only reason we are still together. Thing is, of course, I'm very forgiving when she's up to "one of her things" too.

I think when two people are able to put up with each other's "things" with patience and grace... we are talking about the actual working real-world definition of love. Or, at least, the basis of it. Perhaps people dislike Molly simply because they do not see as many of the things  Beef puts up with from her, as well, and understand how... near-to-healthy their dynamic really is.

Broken people find other broken people whose broken pieces fit together.

I mean, Beef put up with a bead store. A bead store.

A bead store is as much "one of those things" as any bizarre toilet defense behavior.

I'd say they're even.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 16, 2006, 03:48:44 am
Courtesy flush.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: dejavroom on November 16, 2006, 11:34:08 am
I... I can't laugh at today's strip. It touched too close home.
Title: Re: 15th November 2006 - It ain't the coolest place in town
Post by: vivouk on November 18, 2006, 02:11:32 am
This is my favourite strip for about the past month.  :D