The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: CortJstr on September 21, 2003, 03:07:57 am

Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2003, 03:07:57 am
So I just found out that Trivial Pursuit Volume 6 is now out (they've dropped the whole "genus" thing). Sadly the bastards make you buy the whole damn thing no matter how many sets of boards and pies you already have but still.

I don't know who else likes to get together for a TP session but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: AugustWest on September 21, 2003, 04:16:55 am
I will eat your lunch at Trivial Pursuit.  Anytime.  Anyday.

Bring it on.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: jough on September 21, 2003, 06:58:52 am
I don't play Trivial Pursuit anymore because people get angry with me for knowing all of the answers and they accuse me of cheating or reading and memorizing all of the cards (I do have a good memory for useless trivia).

Silly, silly competitive people.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2003, 02:18:57 pm
I don't memorize the cards but Erin and I can't enjoy Genus 5 for a while because every time we play we're always saying things like "I remember missing this question last time" or "didn't you win the game with this one once?"

Actually, my favorite part of the game is saying "the real answer is X but the answer the card wants is Y" even though it's the first time I've played that version. That or pointing out that as written the question is unanswerable then giving the answer they want.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: Mite on September 21, 2003, 02:42:43 pm
I'm always the one pointing out the grammatical errors in the questions. Why, oh why, do they always end their sentences in prepositions?!?
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: andalucia on September 21, 2003, 06:01:29 pm
Oh yeah, I've corrected the cards before... one I remember is "What was Malcolm Little's name when he died?"... the answer on the card being "Malcolm X", but since I'm a civil rights arcana geek, I knew it was El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz... or something to that extent, I'm not quite sure anymore... but I was guaranteed 10 geek points for that one.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2003, 07:16:44 pm
And don't forget the infamous "only man made object visible from space" question.

Great Wall my ass . . .
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: jough on September 21, 2003, 08:54:03 pm
There are actually several man-made structures that can be seen from orbit.

Of course, I find the inverse more amazing - man-made structures in orbit that can be seen from Earth.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: slink on September 21, 2003, 10:10:27 pm
Quote from: "jough"
There are actually several man-made structures that can be seen from orbit.


Though no man made objects visible from the moon, which was always the old one.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: jough on September 21, 2003, 11:29:19 pm
The problem with the great wall is that it's not all that thick.  I mean, I wouldn't want to have to build even a small section of it - but from space it starts to blend into the other land features.

Trivial Pursuit is pretty good, though.  I have the "Pop Culture" edition that came out in 1985 and to see the things that were "pop" then is funny.

Used to play a loooooooot of TP back in the day.  I had no idea they were even still making new editions.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: jay-ell on September 22, 2003, 02:46:57 am
You people are freaks.  There, I've said it.  

I'm terrible at Trivial Pursuit.  I can't think under pressure, and I consistently mis-interpret the questions so even things I know, and everybody knows I know, I can't get.  I think the questions are phrased sneakily.  I have the same problem with Jeoardy, but not as mad.  

Also, most of my trivial knowedge comes from Snopes.com and Dan Savage's column.  Those sources aren't conducive to family board games.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: slink on September 22, 2003, 02:53:54 am
I used to be a lot better than I am now.
As a kid I could kick ass at it, but last time we played it, last christmas, I was pretty shit.
My memory has just got so bad now that while I know the answer I just can't remember what it is all the time.
Probably not helped by the fact it's a mid eighties edition we played!

It's debatable whether the memory issues are cannabis based or medically based. There's good chances it's both!
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2003, 03:09:26 am
I was more of a fan of the You Don't Know Jack type trivia games but I don't think they make those any more. I like how they tried to be funny. Like the occasional Impossible Question
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: AugustWest on September 22, 2003, 03:49:23 am
Quote from: "jldunston"

Also, most of my trivial knowedge comes from Snopes.com.


Snopes is the shiznit.

But, wouldn't an extensive familiarity with the topics covered on Snopes only give you a good base of wrong information?  Of course, that could be helpful in TP.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: jay-ell on September 22, 2003, 01:14:06 pm
More accurately, it tells you which information that is listed on the card as "fact" is actually false or misconstrued.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: jough on September 22, 2003, 03:52:54 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

Also, most of my trivial knowedge comes from Snopes.com and Dan Savage's column.  Those sources aren't conducive to family board games.


I don't know, there could be a Trivial Pursuit question about what "santorum" is.

And I'm not talking about the bipartisanly loathed senator Rick Santorum from PA, either.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: jay-ell on September 22, 2003, 05:59:23 pm
I'm just waiting for "Trivial Pursuit: Bizzaire Sexual Practices Edition."  I'd have that one wrapped up (in saran wrap).  

Meanwhile, I have two TP sets.  One was "borrowed" from my parents.  It is the first edition, so most of the questions (especially the science and pop culture ones) are no longer relevant.  The other is the Star Wars 25th anniversary edition, and nobody will play it with my spouse because he is a real super-size Jedi mind trick whack job.  (He has been known to launch into his rendition of the original trilogy as a one-man show as a part of otherwise normal conversation.)  I am the kind of person who forgets the plot of a film before the ending credits are finished, so of course I am at a severe disadvantage here.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: slink on September 22, 2003, 06:22:11 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I'm just waiting for "Trivial Pursuit: Bizzaire Sexual Practices Edition."  I'd have that one wrapped up (in saran wrap).  

Meanwhile, I have two TP sets.  One was "borrowed" from my parents.  It is the first edition, so most of the questions (especially the science and pop culture ones) are no longer relevant.  The other is the Star Wars 25th anniversary edition, and nobody will play it with my spouse because he is a real super-size Jedi mind trick whack job.


Man, I'd be sooo good at the Star Wars one, being geeky enough to know most of the story of the universe untold in film (I don't count the new ones as film - more as some kind of natural disaster).
The version we had is the Scottish edition from I think 1986. Which also makes it impossible for visitors from afar. But as said, we rarely touch it anymore.
Title: Trivial Pursuit V6
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2003, 06:40:05 pm
It's funny what they hook onto. 5 had a hard-on for The Perfect Storm. 6 has several questions about Ren & Stimpy and even one about the Mars orbit last month.