The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: wombat on November 23, 2006, 07:01:33 pm

Title: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: wombat on November 23, 2006, 07:01:33 pm
Hey, where's the Happy Thanksgiving thread?

I had pie for breakfast and then bathed the dogs. They are not thankful.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: theinevitable on November 23, 2006, 07:05:11 pm
I re-buzzed my head, got sad about how my best friend is beating me at life, took a shower, played Oblivion... I am about to shave, eat dinner with my family, and then go to my girlfriend's aunt's house for dessert.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Ben-San on November 23, 2006, 08:05:48 pm
I had a dream about androids trying to rebuild after the death of humanity. I woke up before the mysteries of the plot were revealed, but it's still been the high point so far.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: jough on November 23, 2006, 08:18:33 pm
I got an Achewood-related Thanksgiving day gift yesterday, so I'm about to unbox and start charging that bad-boy up.  Details on my Flickr account later.

Then I'm going to watch Beerfest while sipping down a few crispy Stellas (which I bought at the drug store - I love Chicago) while the smell of Turkey and stuffing fills my apartment.

Later I will bring a few dinners to old people in my building, and enjoy a nice home cooked Thanksgiving dinner myself while watching the traditional Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: wombat on November 23, 2006, 08:30:59 pm
Inev: Life is not a competition. Really.

Jough: Why is that the traditional film?  We were going to watch Alice's Restuarant, but it didn't arrive in time from Netflix. 
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: jough on November 23, 2006, 08:43:30 pm
My uncle always listens to Alice's Restaurant Massacre on Thanksgiving.  It must be a thing.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is about two men (from Chicago, btw), trying to get home for Thanksgiving. 

Are there any otherThanksgiving Day movies?
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Drygioni on November 23, 2006, 08:44:44 pm
To all who celebrate: Happy Thanksgiving! Congratulations on having a pretty awesome holiday; while I question it's origins I don't think anyone here could say no to a day where you're supposed to eat vast quantities of food before slobbing off to the couch to watch the game. Apart from the ladies, of course: I hope Thanksgiving is not an oppressive thing for any of you? Is it? Please say it isn't.

Basically, I hope it was awesome.

Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 23, 2006, 08:56:38 pm
Last night, I dreamed of being taken under the wing of some sort of media mogul with the caveat that the office building I worked in was navigable mainly by water slide and so, not only did I have to keep a lot of clothes on hand, but also on slow days the place was opened up to tourists wanting to use the place just as... you know... an indoor water park.

The upside was, like, I got to hang out with Tom Waits and my pay was much better but... just getting around the place was difficult and confusing even for someone who had worked there even for years and years. The media mogul seemed to think that keeping people a little confused helped them think creatively.

My first assignment was helping him think up ways to confuse his staff to the point of getting in his face and questioning his strange business practices. This was how he was going to select his next inner circle of advisors, the first dozen or so people with the balls to call him on his bullshit were clearly the best people to have helping him.

It wasn't a Willy Wonka situation, though.

My Willy Wonka dreams are usually about finding a golden ticket in a copy of "Chinese Democracy" and competing to be trained as the next Axl Rose. No magical elevators, though, it seems that Axl has the only working models of the Back to the Future hoverboards and... that's how you get around his Malibu Rock Factory.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: theinevitable on November 23, 2006, 09:07:59 pm
I know it isn't a competition, Womby. He's just basically good at all the things in life which I very bad at (working hard, giving a shit, etc.) and it made me have a bit of a freak-out. All better now.

Thanksgiving dinner was pretty delicious.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2006, 10:51:03 pm
To all who celebrate: Happy Thanksgiving! Congratulations on having a pretty awesome holiday; while I question it's origins I don't think anyone here could say no to a day where you're supposed to eat vast quantities of food before slobbing off to the couch to watch the game. Apart from the ladies, of course: I hope Thanksgiving is not an oppressive thing for any of you? Is it? Please say it isn't.

Basically, I hope it was awesome.



If it makes you feel any better Thanksgiving was invented by a lady.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: AugustWest on November 24, 2006, 01:08:23 am
Happy Thanksgiving you Rock and Roll Faggots!

I am in St Louis with the in-laws, so it's pretty relaxed for me.  First year in several that I haven't been cooking my ass off.  Anywho, hope you are all well.  Be happy.  Or else.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: jough on November 24, 2006, 01:53:35 am
Hey, Chicago is on the way home from St. Louis.  So wave to me as your plane flies by. ;)
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: pmcd9 on November 24, 2006, 05:11:21 am
Alice's Restaurant is also a Thanksgiving story, but it should be listened to, the song is much better than the movie.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: linnea on November 24, 2006, 06:55:08 am
My uncle always listens to Alice's Restaurant Massacre on Thanksgiving.  It must be a thing.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is about two men (from Chicago, btw), trying to get home for Thanksgiving. 

Are there any otherThanksgiving Day movies?


We always listen to Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie. It's our Thanksgiving Day tradition. Usually me and kellichou kick it because Thanksgiving is really close to our birthday (since we're twins), but since I've been living in Alaska and haven't been able to fly home for Thanksgiving or Christmas in the past 2 years, we just talk on the phone. It's not an adequate substitute for quality time with my Wombie (our pet name for each other... not Wom-by like Wombat, just Wombie).

I had kind of an annoying day. I am pissed because I hate having to do too many things by myself (I think that's a bad omen for trying to become a parent because... dude, how am I going to cope?). I baked my turkey but could NOT find the thermometer that I could've sworn I had purchased, and it ended up later that I didn't bake the turkey long enough. I did the best I could and I could've sworn it was done, but parts of it were still red later. I went to a friend's house for dinner, but she wouldn't let me use her oven because she had too much else to bake, asked me to bake everything at home... so I ended up trying to carry a hot roasted turkey, a bag full of biscuits, aluminum foil, and containers for leftovers, and frikkin' huge casserole dish full o' piping hot sweet potatoes out to my car from my second-floor apartment in this hellish, driving rain. I ended up spilling hot sweet potato juice all down my clothes and had to change. Fuckin' annoying.

 I had a really bad dream last night about Thanksgiving...I dreamed that my employer, which normally gives free turkeys to us for the holidays, stiffed me and only gave me a two-pound turkey! It was literally the size of a fetus. I got really mad and stole a 24-pound turkey, and my mom found out and turned me in for stealing it! I had to pay $150 for the stupid turkey. I tried to bake it and it turned out slightly wrong and overbaked, so in a fit of rage I threw it away. By the time I finally got to my friends' house 's in my dream, everyone had eaten the other turkey she had prepared, and everyone was pissed that I didn't bring one...it also meant that I got no turkey and was hungry. :( What a terrible dream!

Anyway, I spent the evening being kind of irritated and mad that I couldn't be at home with my family. I hope I wasn't too terrible a guest at the dinner. Wombie/Kellichou, I miss you and the family a lot. *sniffle* At least "the boys" (Milan and Lennybruce) are sweet and loving.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 24, 2006, 08:49:25 am
I love thanksgiving.  The best of all holidays (despite it's lame propaganda like meaning).  You get to eat alot, get drunk and watch football with alot of your family (my family is very varied and loud, I don't like most of them, but it is still fun somehow), without all of the bullshit of Christmas.  Plus, white trash church basement green bean casserole is fuck*ng delicious, and I only get to have it once a year (well, I am having seconds as I type this, but you know, only for like 2-3 days tops.)


Also, you gots to have the Alice's Reestaurant on Thanksgiving.

Edit:  One more awesome thing about thanksgiving:  The kick ass roll sandwiches with like Turkey, stuffing, cranberries and maybe some other random thing that might be good the day after Thanksgiving. 
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: wombat on November 24, 2006, 03:29:00 pm
We always listen to Alice's Restaurant too, unless we forget, or I can't dig up the old cassette tape I have it on.  But this year it occurred to me that A, there was a movie, and B, I hadn't seen it, and I always knew this but was reminded by a newspaper article and put it together with the crucial element C, which is that it's the 21st century now and we have Netflix where you can rent just about everything that ever existed.

But, timing was a little bit off....hopefully it is coming today before we have run out of turkey leftovers.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 24, 2006, 06:14:29 pm
I went to a friend's house for dinner, but she wouldn't let me use her oven because she had too much else to bake, asked me to bake everything at home... so I ended up trying to carry a hot roasted turkey, a bag full of biscuits, aluminum foil, and containers for leftovers, and frikkin' huge casserole dish full o' piping hot sweet potatoes out to my car from my second-floor apartment in this hellish, driving rain. I ended up spilling hot sweet potato juice all down my clothes and had to change. Fuckin' annoying.

She made you bring A WHOLE FUCKIN' ROASTED TURKEY to her place, and wouldn't let you use the oven there?  That is some fucked up shit right there.  The turkey should be roasted in the kitchen of the home where the meal is being served.  I will not argue about this.

My Thanksgiving was all well and good.  Kids were cute, meal was good, everyone was cool.
Today I'm at work, and I'm just about the only one.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: thedudeabides85 on November 24, 2006, 08:09:36 pm
On the way to dinner at my cousin's house, I'm pretty sure I saw monkey roadkill.  This was in NJ, not like Western Africa.

Also, this seems to be the thread for me to recount my own tryptophan dream:

I carry a severed head unto a crowded train whose seating and lighting give the carriage the feel of a Victorian living room.  I hold the head up, letting blood drip from where its neck should be, and read a particularly gory version of the Principia Discordia, with annotations from Achewood characters.  The head reacts to the reading.  Hail Eris.  I am traveling with two A/V specialists, one of whom seems to be perpetually napping, and wakes up periodically to hear about the specifics of the next job.  The job seems to always be the same, regardless of where we are; it involves relocating a cable.  I am somehow tricked into both appendicitis and an undisclosed dental injury, which requires surgery from a group of college students at what is apparently a tennis academy.  A girl I had been eating lunch with turns out to be the nurse, and comforts me before I am given anesthesia.  She kisses me on the neck very nicely.  As soon as I am unconscious, the team of doctors takes out a battalion of enormous foam props (e.g. foam hammer), and rejoices in having tricked me into an ineffective and possibly hellish surgery.  It occurs to me I can observe these doctors/frat boy clowns because I assumed the role of a camera angle, immediately after the anesthesia had been administered.  I escape the surgery, and am now possibly one of the A/V specialists, and describe very earnestly how, “Yep, you guessed it, a cable needs to be moved.”  I am now in a corridor in what’s supposedly Madison Square Garden, watching maybe Brendan Shanahan shoot a puck at a door from 5 feet away, the completion of which task elicits enormous applause.  Former Rangers announcer John Davidson is there.  Does he represent God?

What does it all mean?  I usually just dream about talking with my friends, and sometimes I put music on if I remember to.  The cool thing about listening to music in your dreams is that the album you need just appears in your hand.  Like I'll think, "I want the Japanese version of Purple Rain on vinyl," and I'll be holding it. 
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Choop on November 25, 2006, 05:50:25 am
hell of dreams. wow.

My mom makes great pie crust, and the pumpkin this year was ineffable. Plus as a post-coma snack, I had a plate of stuffing and gravy - does it get better? I'm not sure.The missus dreamt of ***** Zombies - I think it was that creepy ***** turkey during the game that did it.   On the plus side, the dogs were calm. They love turkey :)
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: CortJstr on November 25, 2006, 07:54:17 pm
hell of dreams. wow.

My mom makes great pie crust, and the pumpkin this year was ineffable. Plus as a post-coma snack, I had a plate of stuffing and gravy - does it get better? I'm not sure.The missus dreamt of ##### Zombies - I think it was that creepy ##### turkey during the game that did it.   On the plus side, the dogs were calm. They love turkey :)

You were visited by Turkitron? Was he trying to rescue Goblox, leader of the great turkey rebellion against their evil chicken overlords?
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2006, 12:56:24 am
oh my goodness cort, I love that episode.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Choop on November 26, 2006, 03:52:04 am
Funny enough, we did watch the new ##### Chicken last week (last of the season boo) but no. Some NFL game was on and had this animated steel turkey dancing around and spiking footballs and crap.

Do you guys up that way get the [adult swim] billboards up there? We just got some new Er billboards - they had to censor him. Awesome.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: CortJstr on November 26, 2006, 04:06:50 am
Funny enough, we did watch the new ##### Chicken last week (last of the season boo) but no. Some NFL game was on and had this animated steel turkey dancing around and spiking footballs and crap.

Do you guys up that way get the [adult swim] billboards up there? We just got some new Er billboards - they had to censor him. Awesome.


I've never seen a billboard of any sort around here.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 26, 2006, 07:56:08 pm
There are so many Adult Swim billboards in the greater Los Angeles area that I've begun to see neon ones cropping up.

Total neon Mooninite flippin' off Sherman Oaks, all glowing "censored" sign over his flippin' hand.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2006, 07:59:13 pm
man, I do not think I have seen any such billboards around here.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Choop on November 26, 2006, 09:00:45 pm
Total neon Mooninite flippin' off Sherman Oaks, all glowing "censored" sign over his flippin' hand.

Yep, that'd be Er.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: jay-ell on November 26, 2006, 09:12:32 pm
I cooked my very first Thanksgiving Feast.  I mean, I've contributed to the meal in past years, but this time I was the responsible party.  Mom did the mashed potatoes and my sister in law brought dessert.  I did the turkey, stuffing, corn, green bean casserole, oven rolls, gravy, the whole works.  It was fun. 

Then my kid fell asleep on my lap watching Babe on cable and we put him in his crib and played Wii Sports on the new Nintendo system for which I stood in front of Best Buy for five hours last Sunday morning in 30 degree weather after three hours of sleep and a twelve hour drive.  I Wii-bowled a 197, which beats my real-life all time record by about sixty points.  Then my kid woke up and chased his cousins around the dining room table until they were all too tired to do anything besides lay on the floor and watch my mom and my aunt play nine holes of virtual golf. 

All in all, it was a good day.