The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Beatrice on November 29, 2006, 11:34:21 pm
-
I guess this goes here?
I am leaving in two weeks and am VERY excited. Why do I get to travel? well, it is the best reason.
This semester I've been taking an ENTIRE class on The Lord of the Rings, and initially the trip was supposed to go to England to see Tolkien's birthplace, but now we're going to New Zealand to get a feel for Jackson's Middle Earth.
The class will travel all over both islands (different city every day almost) for two weeks and then they will come back to Louisville and surrounding areas for their crumby Christmas while I stay solo for a couple more weeks to work on an organic farm in Whangarei ("Fan-guh-ray") in the Northmost portion of the North Island.
Has anyone else been?
Any suggestions on the actual country or on the fine art of packing light?
I can go two weeks on sponge baths alone, and dirty clothes never bother me (except underwear) but I still always manage to pack too much.
Summer before last I squated in Amsterdam for a month and didn't use half the crap I carried over there. Then the squat got evicted (POLICE RAID!) the excitement and sadness was overwhelmed by my shameful bounty of crap clothes and beauty products. I can't believe I brought a hair dryer. Most of the warehouse didn't even have electricty. Now I've got short blue hair, so i don't comb it and i can't wash it lest my entire body turn blue.
that is all.
-
um, I can't really advise you.
...but at least 3 things you said in the above paragraph made me fall in love with you.
(sorry, hobot. you've been gone so long!)
-
Congratulations, that is awesome. They are teaching entire courses on the Lord of the Rings. That is awesome. Two weeks in New Zealand is awesome. Say hello to Kate Winslett for me.
Travel tips, I spent 6 days in England with just a backpack. Two weeks shouldn't be a problem. You are staying in a hotel right? Let them wash your clothes. It'll cost a couple of bucks, but it'll be worth it. Of course the hotel will also have a bath so that's not gonna be a problem. Unless you're just wanting to go two weeks without a shower...
-
wow, I am disappointed in a certain person.
Bring a camera. pref. a small one.
-
yes, the camera. see, now that is an issue. i am going this saturday to buy a canon rebel xti and it is beautiful and it is costly. but it is a sweet camera. i figure as long as i can keep it on my person at all times, then we're good. it's actually my main reason for worrying about packing light. i don't want to have something so valuable on me and so to risk it i will not take even more crap to worry about. if i wind up back home naked and dirty but with camera intact, then i'm good.
-
yes, the camera. see, now that is an issue. i am going this saturday to buy a canon rebel xti and it is beautiful and it is costly. but it is a sweet camera. i figure as long as i can keep it on my person at all times, then we're good. it's actually my main reason for worrying about packing light. i don't want to have something so valuable on me and so to risk it i will not take even more crap to worry about. if i wind up back home naked and dirty but with camera intact, then i'm good.
I'm sure that there are those who would beg to differ, but I'd just bring a few disposable cameras. Fuck risking your expensive-ass digital one. You can always pay a few dollars extra to have the folks at Kodak or wherever produce prints AND a CD of your piccies.
-
She's going to New Zealand, not Kazakhstan.
-
She's going to New Zealand, not Kazakhstan.
You'd be surprised, Paul. New Zealand's actually quite bad in terms of stealing from tourists, though from what I know this mainly affects cars, camper vans etc. However, I do remember (don't know where this is coming from) that violent crime is rare.
Anyhow Beatrice, have a lovely time. If you think you can get by without your camera being stolen, I really recommend it. New Zealand is a fuck*ng beautiful place and some cheap arse disposable camera will not necessarily give you the photos you want.
The Kiwis are generally lovely people though, so with any luck you should have no problems!
-
I wouldn't want to entrust a once in a lifetime trip to crummy disposable cameras. Aren't all the digital cameras nowadays small enough to carry in your pocket all the time? I mean, even my old one is. So it's not that easy to steal it.
Now, if you are planning to travel wearing ##### with no pockets - that's the decision you need to rethink.
-
well i got the camera and am already having some slight troubles so we'll see how that works out. but judging by the pictures i've got so far, this is a necessary risk i'm willing to travel with in order to get sweet, sweet, delicious pictures. and i'll be able to lock it up most of the time. thanks for the response! i'll be sure to let the board know how it all went!