The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Fooker on December 04, 2006, 07:19:30 am
-
I'm considering this. Sure, some people start a blog, get a ton of traffic, and sell adsense. Some people start a cafepress or spreadshirt store. Some people play that moola thing obsessively and cash a $100 check every few weeks. Some people are into adult marketing and webhosting- that stuff is way too close to real work though. Some people do the MLM shit. I know Jough has a nice tshirt site.
Is it possible? What kind of things can you do? What do you do? What do you know someone to do?
-
I used to do this thing through Amazon called MTurk when I was on blow. basically you said who the artist of these albums was by looking at the album cover and there were cheats that made it easier. I could make like 200 a week, but it stopped. Basically, I cannot help you.
-
If you're in the EU or Paris, I have a great idea for you.
My favorite perfumer, Serge Lutens, has a boutique in Paris but they have a non-export, exclusive line of perfume that they will not ship to the US. It's EU only. Bottles at the salon retail for 100 Euros for a 75 mL bottle. I managed to find a bottle on eBay for about $160 USD with shipping (we'll see if it ever arrives). HOWEVER, most bottles of exclusive Serge Lutens go for about $199 USD before shipping. You do the math...100 Euros for a $200 USD return on your investment.
Basically, this stuff is worth a shit ton on eBay. Buy some bottles and sell 'em on eBay. They sell like fuck*ng hot cakes. I really want Borneo 1834.
-
Start a webcomic and then sell printed collections of your work.
Also t-shirts featuring characters, the infrequent oil painting, cookbooks, or pretend one of the characters wrote an actual zine that you could sell.
I bet you'd make enough to have a baby and to live near San Francisco.
-
I want to do what Linnea said to do. But moving to Paris entirely for the purpose of ebay-exporting parfuums is crazy.
-
Let's all chip in and paypal Judy a bus ticket to Paris.
This scheme will work just long enough until Judy gets some seed money, and blows us off. Maybe someday he'll recognize us, and wave us into an exclusive club or something. Maybe not. Maybe he'll act like he just doesn't know us at all. Like he doesn't see us.
How the money has changed you, Judy!
You've forgotten where you come from!
Man... Some people.
-
ok, let's work on this idea. Is there anything we have in the US that doesn't get exported?
...probably not, right? This reminds me of a few years ago when some music equipment had a half-off sale on various guitars, but would only ship them to the US. People in the US bought a dozen guitars, and then sold them for 150% or so of the sale price to people overseas. Nice.
-
ok, let's work on this idea. Is there anything we have in the US that doesn't get exported?
...probably not, right? This reminds me of a few years ago when some music equipment had a half-off sale on various guitars, but would only ship them to the US. People in the US bought a dozen guitars, and then sold them for 150% or so of the sale price to people overseas. Nice.
Yeah, what the fuck is up with that? I guess that Monsieur Lutens is trying to maintain exclusivity of his, uh, "exclusive line" by making them only available at Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. I would like a rich paramour to fly me to Paris to buy them (and people in Hell want ice water, too). Or at least a friend in the EU or England who is trustworthy enough for me to send a bottle of perfume from Paris, and trust them to use the cash I PayPal to them to ship the bottle(s) to me in Alaska.
*raises eyebrow at Judy*
How's your access to the post office, chochacho?
**EDIT: 600 posts! :D
-
I don't believe the pinnacle of American enterpreneurity, the frozen-then-deep-fried cheesecake-on-a-stick, is currently exported.
Each new niche creates two new niches: one on each side.
-
I don't believe the pinnacle of American enterpreneurity, the frozen-then-deep-fried cheesecake-on-a-stick, is currently exported.
Each new niche creates two new niches: one on each side.
I ate deep-fried oreos at the state fair this year. Because deep-fried snickers bars are just so passe.
Fooker, if you have a skill or craft you could translate that into cash. I knit, and there are lots of people who sell their own knitting designs or handknit objects online, or offer free knitting patterns with adsense ads. My spouse has also made $100 over the last 4 years by making a website of Spanish Flash Cards (http://www.x-omega.com/spanish/), but then again he has a really good google rating, which is hard to get unless your site has been around a while. And it's not a lot of money -- $25 a year -- but he also hasn't touched the website in that time either so it's sort of residual income.
Online businesses are just like any other business venture, think about your personal strengths and skills, and put those to use to do something you find interesting and will be good at.
But don't quit your day job.
-
I don't believe the pinnacle of American enterpreneurity, the frozen-then-deep-fried cheesecake-on-a-stick, is currently exported.
Each new niche creates two new niches: one on each side.
I'm quite fond of cheesecake deep-fried then dipped in chocolate on-a-stick. I had it at a local ren-faire and the part of me that pushes blood into the rest of me died and went to artery heaven.
-
Start a webcomic and then sell printed collections of your work.
Also t-shirts featuring characters, the infrequent oil painting, cookbooks, or pretend one of the characters wrote an actual zine that you could sell.
I bet you'd make enough to have a baby and to live near San Francisco.
I'm hoping I can convince someone to let me try this for my honors thesis in creative writing.