The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on December 04, 2006, 09:06:11 am

Title: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: theinevitable on December 04, 2006, 09:06:11 am
So, let's say I've heard the Charlie Brown Christmas album a thousand times. I love it, and it brings back so many memories... but sometimes you need something else.

Right now, my plans are:
-Sufjan Stevens' boxed set of Christmas EPs
-Jimmy Smith's Christmas Cookin'

what else is there? Even suggestions of good Christmas/holiday songs would be great... I could put them on a mix CD.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 04, 2006, 09:42:19 am
My roommate has this Peanut Butter Wolf christmas mix thing.  It is fuck*ng awesome.

I think this: http://www.stonesthrow.com/xmas/ is it, but I am not for sure and do not have time to listen to it right now. I mean, I am pretty sure it is, considering that it is on his website and says xmas right in the url, but I don't know.

Think alternative christmas/ christmas in the ghetto.  pLus it is free, so, hey, what are you going to lose. 

Edit: actually, I am listening to it while I am writing my paper and it is awesome, you should check it out.  At very least, there is a xmas song that mentions reaganomics, so that is cool.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: linnea on December 04, 2006, 03:26:10 pm
I effing HATE Christmas songs. All of them. I hate being subjected to them at this time of year, everywhere. I also hate the stupid sappy Christmas movies like "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on Whatever Street." They make me angry on a level that I cannot even articulate. They are so stupid. I hate Christmas carols.

Well, the only Christmas music that I can stand is the Jingle Cats (http://www.jinglecats.com/). Unfortunately I can't listen to them at home because it scares the shit out of Milan and Lennybruce. (EDIT: Why was $hit filtered out and replaced by ####? Is it because I'm on a hotel computer with NetNanny installed?)

I imagine that for a cat to listen to the Jingle Cats is like a human being held in solitary confinement by aliens for years, and then one day the human hears this godawful cacophony of human voices shouting and screaming in all different languages. The human would be freaked out because a.) they couldn't tell where the other captive humans were being held; b.) the messages are all jumbled and make no sense, and c.) many of the voices are humans that are stressed or scared and it's just goddamned Kafkaesque and terrifying. Or would Orwellian be a more appropriate choice of words?
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2006, 03:44:31 pm

-Jimmy Smith's Christmas Cookin'


A can for listening to Jimmy Smith.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: Choop on December 04, 2006, 03:47:53 pm
Merry Xmas from the Space-Age Bachelor Pad (http://www.amazon.com/Merry-Xmas-Space-Age-Bachelor-Pad/dp/B0000048EZ), by Juan Garcia Esquivel. Look in your local record shops and Urban Outfitters, because it shouldn't cost $60 like the used copies available on Amazon.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: CortJstr on December 04, 2006, 03:50:56 pm
I effing HATE Christmas songs. All of them. I hate being subjected to them at this time of year, everywhere. I also hate the stupid sappy Christmas movies like "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on Whatever Street." They make me angry on a level that I cannot even articulate. They are so stupid. I hate Christmas carols.

Damn straight. I would hate them less except that several coworkers listen to "at work" radio stations that start playing nothing but x-mas songs 24/7 starting the day before Thanksgiving. Then all the stores start playing all x-mas music too, including some that you'd think would know better like Whole Foods. So by December 1st even the songs that I sort of like such as Chorus of the Bells (or whatever it's called) make me want to start puching people in the throat.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: Drygioni on December 04, 2006, 04:09:06 pm
I effing HATE Christmas songs. All of them.

I gotta cast doubt on that claim. You say you hate all Christmas songs, but have you ever heard "Fairytale of New York"? By far the best Christmas song ever, by a very, very, very wide margin. Seriously, if you have not heard I will send you it for free.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: V-Adore on December 04, 2006, 06:21:30 pm
I am a basically areligious person, but for reasons I cannot explain "We Three Kings" is my favorite Christmas carol ever. My favorite version of it ever, which I generally start compulsively listening to around two weeks before Christmas (to save burnout), is thankfully available online for free here. (http://www.raisedbywolvesmusic.com/songs/We_3_Kings.mp3)
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: Roger on December 04, 2006, 07:26:46 pm
I'd go with A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector. It features the best of the legendary producer's (best known nowadays for murder charges and being excised from Beatles album reissues) roster of artists, such as The Ronettes, The Crystals, Darlene Love etc. Pure joy.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: melack on December 04, 2006, 09:30:32 pm
I gotta cast doubt on that claim. You say you hate all Christmas songs, but have you ever heard "Fairytale of New York"? By far the best Christmas song ever, by a very, very, very wide margin. Seriously, if you have not heard I will send you it for free.

You only like that song because you're an old slut on junk.  ;) ;) ;)

P.S. A tiny can for spreading the joy of the Pogues.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: vivouk on December 05, 2006, 09:27:51 pm
I'll post my festive CD playlist, but first you must hear this:

Arab Strap - Xmas (Baby please come home) (http://www.arabstrap.co.uk/media/mp3/christmas.mp3) (right-click)

 :o
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: Roger on December 05, 2006, 10:00:36 pm
I'll post my festive CD playlist, but first you must hear this:

Arab Strap - Xmas (Baby please come home) (http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/2/342310/02%20Xmas%20%28Baby%2C%20Please%20Come%20Home%29.mp3) (right-click)

Thank you, sir. Those backing vocals made me feel like I was watching a Twin Peaks Christmas Special.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: Drygioni on December 05, 2006, 10:00:51 pm
the joy of the Pogues.

Actually, I would recommend to everyone here having a go at getting the Pogues on your Christmas playlist. Their fuck*ng beautiful less punky songs (Lullaby of London, A Pair of Brown Eyes, Rainy Night in Soho et al) sum up Christmas to me; bittersweet lyrics, and music to watch the snow fall to. And if you're opposed to that, stick on some of their Celtic-rock-and-alcohol tunes and booze up on New Year's Eve.

Y'know... if you'd like.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 11, 2006, 05:35:19 pm
How about giraffebone's Christmas EP, including the most excellent "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Slick Nick, You Devil You."

Also, if you look around you can find Death Cab for Cutie doing "Christmas Baby Please Come Home" as well, it's quite good.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: side_show on December 11, 2006, 06:37:01 pm
Just stopped in to note: the Sarah McLaughlin Christmas album is the most depressing thing ever.  Christmas suicide anyone? 

I've got a  Mediaval Baebes  (http://www.mediaevalbaebes.com/) CD I usually spin only around the holidays.  It's not Christmas music, but I'm not in the mood for Mediaval music other times of year.  I got it as a strange joke.  One of my coworkers long ago was chatting it up with his buddies and me, and they tended to forget I was a girl.  They got all excited about the idea of which female musician they'd like to fuck, and my buddy beat everyone else by saying he'd do the Mediaeval Baebes, since at the time there was 14 of them.  His buddies were so impressed that they got him a ticket to their show, and sure as hell he ended up back stage and partied with them... He told me he didn't end up doing the Mediaval Baebes, though my response was "Come on, you so did the Mediaval Baebes."   Whatever really happened, he came back with their CD for me.
Title: Re: Christmas to put in rotation in 20 days or so?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 12, 2006, 06:47:31 am
I recommend the Quincy Jones-produced "Handel's Messiah:A Soulful Celebration". True to the music of Handel with R&B and Soul acts reinterpreting them. It's a really nice alternative to Sacred Music.

Syncopation!