The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: robot_god on December 05, 2006, 01:10:34 am

Title: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: robot_god on December 05, 2006, 01:10:34 am
I heard today that I may have a job offering with a branch of Pfizer in Indiana.  I don't have any details yet, all I know is that someone told someone who told my father while he was working, so I dunno what's the real deal yet.

So does anyone know anything about that state?  Taking this possible job will mean having to move and transfer schools, but they will pay the tuition for my final two years of school.  I don't know how universal an Indiana pharmacy license is, but I know that a NY license is valid in every state except California and I doubt an Indy license carries as much weight.  Ballpark guess would be that it's only good in about 35 states.  If I finish my school where I am now, I'm going to have to take out loans for the last two years.  Of course, I am dying to get out of my parent's house, so that is also a factor.

So I dunno, I don't feel strongly compelled to accept this, but I am considering it.  If you know anything about Indiana that's good or bad, please let me know.  All I know about it is what I've forgotten from Where in the US is Carmen Sandiago?.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 05, 2006, 03:12:30 am
Axl Rose grew up there.

I think, either way, that should say all that needs to be said.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AugustWest on December 05, 2006, 04:06:58 am
Our culture is so homogenous that Indiana is going to be very much like any place else in the US, if not the developed world.

Also, they think that Bobby Knight is a hell of a guy.  I've always found this highly inexplicable.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: CortJstr on December 05, 2006, 04:10:48 am
Our culture is so homogenous that Indiana is going to be very much like any place else in the US, if not the developed world.

Also, they think that Bobby Knight is a hell of a guy.  I've always found this highly inexplicable.

Why have none of the players kicked him square in the balls? I'm being totally serious. I can't fathom how not one player has physically assaulted him. If I could play basketball I'd try out for that team just for the opportunity to hit him with a folding chair.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: linnea on December 05, 2006, 05:01:11 am
I have never been to Indiana. However, as someone who has huge student loan payments on a $34,000 debt, I would say "Go west, young man!"
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: Ben-San on December 05, 2006, 05:06:10 am
I technically spent a semester in Indiana but it was right on the Ohio border at a quasi-hippie school. Mostly I recall it being very flat. I once asked why there were no hills and was told that there were and that I was in fact standing on one. Either I was being fucked with or these people have no concept of terrain.

Seriously, it is like a game of Civilization on an Old planet. Grain everywhere and no damn hills or mountains.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AugustWest on December 05, 2006, 05:09:12 am
I think there are a couple of factors.  First and simplest, Bobby Knight is a big guy.  His IMDB bio lists him as 6'5".  So it's not like Wally Cox is pulling this crap on people.  On the other hand, the people he's abusing are large atheletes as well so...

The other factor is that the kids he's abusing idolize him and very much want to be a part of his program.  Hell, the kid he smacked upside the other day damn near thanked him for the pimp slap.  His parents bent over backwards to support Knight in the national media.  Not that I think this latest incident is that bad (hardly worthy of notice, really) but the family's reaction does indicate the sort of esteem The General is held in among certain groups.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AugustWest on December 05, 2006, 05:10:07 am

Seriously, it is like a game of Civilization on an Old planet. Grain everywhere and no damn hills or mountains.

Hell of can for the Civ reference.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 05, 2006, 02:15:09 pm
Vincennes, Indiana is extremely boring.  The job's not there, is it?
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 05, 2006, 02:28:03 pm
Indianapolis is a fine second-tier American city with several options for fun and amusement (just don't use them up too quickly).  Bloomington is a fun town if you like hanging out with college kids in bars.  Stay out of Gary - in fact, just turn around the second you start to smell it.  Evansville is a small town with a heart of gold and a small-time minor league baseball team which plays in an ancient stadium.  South Bend is Notre Dame and not much else.  Larry Bird is from a place called French Lick, but it's nowhere near as exciting as it sounds.

For being a Northern state, I've met a remarkable number of racist xenophobes in Indiana.

They used to have issues with Daylight Saving(s) Time.  I am not sure if this is resolved yet.

The landscape is indeed flat and grain-oriented.  Ohio is the state immediately east of Indiana.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AugustWest on December 05, 2006, 03:23:16 pm

For being a Northern state, I've met a remarkable number of racist xenophobes in Indiana.



Because racism only exists in the South?
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: CortJstr on December 05, 2006, 03:52:29 pm
Stay out of Gary - in fact, just turn around the second you start to smell it.

Thanks for the earworm. Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana

DAMMIT
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: Sub_Topical on December 05, 2006, 04:22:46 pm
It depends on which school and where it's at. The Ninja dude above basically gave a good short rundown. One of the mini-metropli would be pretty fine OK living. The Culver Academy (Culver, IN, natch), on the other hand, basically offered an A&W and beef cows for Saturday night entertainment.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: V-Adore on December 05, 2006, 05:55:19 pm
Thanks for the earworm. Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana

DAMMIT

CortJstr, believe it when I say from the core of my heart: fuck youuuuuu!

Oh Jesus it's never going to leave.

Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: CortJstr on December 05, 2006, 06:11:52 pm
CortJstr, believe it when I say from the core of my heart: fuck youuuuuu!

Oh Jesus it's never going to leave.

I can never hear the name of that town and not sing the song in my head. I'm still pissed at Family Guy for doing Shipoopi on Sunday.




With a capital T and that rhymes with P ... damn you high school musicals!
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 05, 2006, 08:59:09 pm
Just be glad I didn't mention Kokomo. (http://www.cityofkokomo.org)
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: Choop on December 05, 2006, 09:14:39 pm
You know what always gets earworms out of my head? The first big town number from the Music Man: "Iowa Stubborn." I sing it the whole way through, and by the time I finish I become so embarrassed at remembering all the lyrics and harmonies that my subconscious forms a barrier through which no music may pass.

Or, Groove Salad from soma.fm.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: CortJstr on December 05, 2006, 09:32:32 pm
You know what always gets earworms out of my head? The first big town number from the Music Man: "Iowa Stubborn." I sing it the whole way through, and by the time I finish I become so embarrassed at remembering all the lyrics and harmonies that my subconscious forms a barrier through which no music may pass.

Or, Groove Salad from soma.fm.

I hear those people can stand nose-to-nose for a week at a time and never see eye to eye.

The SO and I will maliciously mention "Food, glorious food" to drive each other slowly insane.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 12, 2006, 06:54:10 am

Because racism only exists in the South?

Not hardly. Indiana is a top KKK state to this day. Southern Ohio is pretty bad too.

I've driven across Indiana E to W and N to S...I can honestly say that I think living there is not on my top 50 choices of places to live.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: Choop on December 12, 2006, 07:20:27 am
Indiana is not on my list of top 50 states in which to live.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: jough on December 13, 2006, 04:15:07 am
I love the Music Man, and have seen the play and the film many times.  Just love it. 

However, Gary Indiana is a scary fuck*ng place now.  I had to stab a dude in the eye just to escape.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 23, 2007, 04:42:33 am
I'm sure I want to reply to this thread that has not been posted in for at least 120 days.

(first time I ever saw that warning....good one)

So, having driven from Cleveland to Chicago about 100 times I can tell you that, at night, Gary Indiana looks EXACTLY like Mordor.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2007, 06:01:52 am
Is Gary the steady ex gf to your current so Hawaii?
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 23, 2007, 09:12:33 am
Actually, living in Chicago, Gary's the skanky chick across the tracks - she's hot, and scary, and you know 1) you'd enjoy your time with her, 2) you could never tell your homies, and 3) you'd best go to the clinic <before> the burning urination starts.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2007, 08:19:46 pm
My kind of gal.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 24, 2007, 12:02:02 am
Actually, living in Chicago, Gary's the skanky chick across the tracks - she's hot, and scary, and you know 1) you'd enjoy your time with her, 2) you could never tell your homies, and 3) you'd best go to the clinic <before> the burning urination starts.

I'm going to Chicago in October to see the White Stripes.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AugustWest on June 24, 2007, 02:18:58 am
What do I know about Indiana?

It wants me,  but I can't go back there.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: linnea on June 24, 2007, 07:00:36 am
I'm going to Chicago in October to see the White Stripes.

LUCKYYYYY!! </napoleon dynamite voice>
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 24, 2007, 09:49:41 am
I think it was totally awesome of Edward Scissorhands that when he found a frozen cavewoman and took pity on her inability to live amoungst the sapiens, he started a rock band so she could "play" drums in it. He is such a nice guy to let her do that.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 24, 2007, 10:15:21 am
What do I know about Indiana?

It wants me,  but I can't go back there.

I wish I had you.....

to talk to.
Title: Re: What do you know about Indiana?
Post by: jough on June 25, 2007, 11:43:26 pm
I live pretty close to Indiana but haven't felt the urge to try it yet.

I was going to go see the race this year, but apparently you have to plan for that like eight fuck*ng years in advance.

So in 2014, I'll see you at the 500!