The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on December 08, 2006, 06:23:16 pm
-
For posterity: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12082006
Probably one of the funnier Phillipe Times, in my opinion. The one about morticians induced about a 3/4 LOL out of me. I'll take 3/4 over 0/4 any day, though.
-
that was pretty... morbid.
the weather, maybe.
-
What a wonderful picture of the little shaver smoking, if only it would come to fruition.
Cold lasagna, bah!
(betcha Lyle was the knuckle sandwich delivery guy)
-
I love the idea of a little room under the church where old ladies go to die. That alone has made this my favorite Friday Facts ever, but the bit about the first-time knuckle sandwich is also precious.
-
It's a: High-Five A Mortician Friday!
-
Suprising. Despite being the self-proclaimed biggest fan of Philippe Times on the board, I found this edition to be sub-par to the usual installment.
And weather? Do they even have weather in California?
-
And the obligatory Philippe torture of making him drink vodka. Poor little dude. Thanks a hell of a lot, Lyle!
-
man. this reminds me of when I was little, and my dad gave me a sip of beer.
It tasted horrible. he explained that it was an "acquired taste."
I took this to mean it would somehow taste different when I was older. But, no. It still tastes like shit. wtf.
-
Heh heh heh. I've done the ol' "Have a drink of my ice water" trick on my daughters.
-
man. this reminds me of when I was little, and my dad gave me a sip of beer.
It tasted horrible. he explained that it was an "acquired taste."
I took this to mean it would somehow taste different when I was older. But, no. It still tastes like shit. wtf.
It's an... acquired taste.
-
Should you ever find yourself in Oregon, I will purchase you a good beer, Inev. This will be a beer that you would gladly foist off on your future children.
-
I still listen to tapes.
-
I still listen to tapes.
I own a laserdisc player, just for the purposes of being able to own stuff that was never profitable to transfer over to DVD or movies where there were LD bonus features and by the time DVD came out, the movie was no longer worth releasing anything other than barebones.
My brother owns a machine that burns old pre-WW2 albums to CD so he can have more lasting versions of songs he owns where... he may be the only person left who actually cares for the songs on 'em anymore.
Defunct formats rule. They're the only way to own some of the REAL obscure crap.
-
ok, update, I think I might get the appeal. suddenly.
it still tastes kind of shitty. It's just... a good shitty?
-
No, because it is good. Get a Chimay or a Bass Pub Pour can or a Hoegaarden and tell me it is shitty.
-
yeah, I'll get back to you on that when I'm 21, or get a friend who is 21.
until then, my options are limited to what I can get at parties. Which is, you know, shit.
-
Here's a tip: if the beer has the word "Ice" at the end and comes in a can larger than a 2 month old baby, you've got a winner.
-
No, because it is good. Get a Chimay or a Bass Pub Pour can or a Hoegaarden and tell me it is shitty.
Hoegaarden tastes like a spoon was melted into the pint. Some pocket change got dissolved into the stills or something.
Besides for the price, Duvel has the taste that will make me forget the word molecule.
-
If you want real beer, I would go with my favorite, of course:
http://www.unibroue.com/products/maudite.cfm (http://www.unibroue.com/products/maudite.cfm)
It will kick you in the ass and leave you wanting more. The taste is somewhere like belgian-style spicey malt and is possibly the greatest thing to be drinking while on your porch in the middle of winter. Or any time of the year, for that matter.
Of course, you will never, ever find this at parties. Or many places in the States, either.
-
Here's a tip: if the beer has the word "Ice" at the end and comes in a can larger than a 2 month old baby, you've got a winner.
That's a funny definition of "winner" you've got there, melack.
-
Yeah, I thought beer was crap until I stopped drinking Miller or Bud.
I tried a PBR for the first time last night, and threw up in my mouth a little - although maybe that was because it was the first beer of the night - that first one never goes down smooth.
Get a crispy Stella Artois or Samuel Adams for your first grown-up beer. That's always a good decision.
-
oh shit yes, jough, Stella Artois is effing delicious. Highly recommended.
Being from Colorado, where the microbrews abound, I'm a little biased towards microbrew or handcrafted beer. My all time favorite is New Belgium Brewery's Sunshine Wheat (http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_sw.php). I normally hate Hefeweizens (http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/270/) with a passion, just hate them to HELL, but Sunshine Wheat is fuck*ng tasty. It's not like Odell's Easy Street Wheat (http://www.odells.com/beers/easy_street.php) with its ammoniac/cat pee notes at all. My twin sister, Kellichou, thinks I'm crazy for hating on Easy Street Wheat. I guess I"m the only one who can detect the unsavory, hella frightening notes in it.
Of course, in rural Alaska I cannot get New Belgium beer. I like Alaskan Amber (http://www.alaskanbeer.com/amber.html), which is quite good, or a delicious Amstel Light. An ex of mine looooves Pabst Blue Ribbon, but I'm not too keen on it.
-
Also, regarding this strip, the idea of a police officer whose job it is to shoot people that jump from buildings before they hit the ground is fuck*ng hilarious.
-
I've tried a couple varieties of Samuel Adams and some other stuff I forget but which I was told by people who at least appeared to know was "good beer". The taste was noticeably less vile than "bad beer" but not something I actually wanted to drink. The difference is that bad beer did not taste like something a human ought to be drinking, while good beer, like coffee, had a taste I could comprehend that someone else might conceivably like which simply was not enjoyable for me.
I guess my only point is that it is possible to actually not like beer instead of just "not having had the right one".
-
That's a funny definition of "winner" you've got there, melack.
Aww, you know I'm just playin' witchoo.
I'm from Seattle, a place with many a fine microbreweries. My favorite is probably Pyramid. They make a very, very delicious Hefeweizen. Throw a little slice of lemon in there and you're in heaven (fuck yoooouuu, Man Law).
Oh, has anyone here been to Munich? I was there this summer. Those beerhalls/gardens are out of control. Throw down a five euro note and you've got yourself a giant 1 liter glass stein. I used the phrase "Ein mass, bitte" quite a few times there. They've got the beer purity law over there (or did, I think it's changed now?) so all of their beer tastes really good. Problem is, it all tastes kind of the same, because of the restriction on ingredients. Still a great place to go. I was there literally a week and a half before Oktoberfest, which is both good and bad. I missed all the festivities, but considering the horror stories I heard about drunk, urinating Australians, that might not be such a bad thing.
-
although maybe that was because it was the first beer of the night - that first one never goes down smooth.
I think I have found my problem, people. I have a small stomach. And I get sick of drinking it before I get beyond 1.
also, yesterday by the time I'd finished my first, everything was gone.
-
Hoegaarden tastes like a spoon was melted into the pint. Some pocket change got dissolved into the stills or something.
Besides for the price, Duvel has the taste that will make me forget the word molecule.
Duvel is overcarbonated.
For wits, I recommend Chambly or Allagash White over Hoegaarden.
For tripels, I recommend Victory Golden Monkey (9.5% abv love.) or Delerium Tremens.
For trappist/abbey, I recommend Corsendonk over Chimay in that Corsendonk has never given me a hangover.
For quadruppels/barleywines, Allagash Quattro is pretty keen, as is Samichlaus (14% abv love) and to a lesser degree Rogue Old Crustacean.
-
ok, update, I think I might get the appeal. suddenly.
it still tastes kind of shitty. It's just... a good shitty?
I think that's kind of accurate. It still tastes bitter, and it still tastes like alcohol, but if you are a grown up and drink good beer you might notice other tastes besides the bitterness and alcohol-ness. The other tastes are good, and they don't just make the bitterness seem worth it, they make it seem like a necessary part of the beer experience. Like how people who act like jerks but are secretly nice are sometimes more fun than people who are just straight up nice, even though you might not like the jerk-seeming people at first. They are an acquired taste.
The other reason people come to like beer, even shitty beer, is because they get pleasantly drunk off it enough times that they form an association between the shitty taste and the pleasure of being drunk. In other words, we like beer because we are all Pavlov's bitches.
-
Hey Bobby!
-
Hey, do you guys think that the "African tapes" joke is a reference to Awesome Tapes From Africa (http://awesometapesfromafrica.blogspot.com/)? It's a music blog that, though it hasn't been updated in a while, was pretty popular to a certain kind of music nerd.
(If you visit that site, please don't miss that awesome Moma Yendodo track; it's pretty mindblowing.)
Yes, I registered just to ask this question. Heh.
-
Microbrews are tricky. Like New Belgiun, I dislike basically all of their beers except for 1554, their dark ale. We cannot get New Belgium in my state though, because they will only ship it if it can stay cold, and our liqour laws prevent that. I have some good friends in Boulder and generally do not like most of the Micro Brews around there. However, if you want to consider Sierra Nevada a micro brew than most of their stuff is pretty amazing. Everything except their IPA, but Pyramid makes a great IPA. Carlsberg Elephant is my favcorite beer for getting drunk. Czechvar is better than Stella. And Stouts are the best type of brews.
However, some Jameson and Ginger Ale, Knob Creek with a splash of Coke or Chilean/Argentinian Syrah is better than beer.
-
Knob Creek with a splash of Coke
Why not just piss in it, you philistine?
-
I had a dream last night that I was in a dusty old liquor store. I asked the old lady tending the store if they had Glenfiddich 18yr and she claimed they did. Anyway, my week of finals ends Thursday so I think I know how I'm celebrating. It's gonna take a few days to work up the guts to justify buying a 70 dollar bottle.
Hey, do you guys think that the "African tapes" joke is a reference to Awesome Tapes From Africa (http://awesometapesfromafrica.blogspot.com/)?
I doubt it severely, but hey, who knows what kind of shit O scours the internet for? No one. Not a one.
-
Why not just piss in it, you philistine?
Don't mess with August's Southern liquors 'round here and expect to get away with it, boy.
I'm glad to see this thread pulled Bobby out of the woodwork, because if it hadn't, it would have proved that he had deserted us forever, like that other guy, you remember, the one with the letter of the alphabet for his name? X? W? You know, whatever it was.
-
he got all upset when I said we should hang out, too.
Actually, no. I didn't say that. I commented that I live like half a mile away from him. He said "You stay the hell away." and "I am so changing grocery stores."
-
Also, regarding this strip, the idea of a police officer whose job it is to shoot people that jump from buildings before they hit the ground is fuck*ng hilarious.
Took me a moment or two to figure who "L.B." was. But then it was perfect.
Mmmmmm... bourbon.
-
he got all upset when I said we should hang out, too.
Actually, no. I didn't say that. I commented that I live like half a mile away from him. He said "You stay the hell away." and "I am so changing grocery stores."
I'm afraid I ruint him for you.
-
Don't mess with August's Southern liquors 'round here and expect to get away with it, boy.
Dang, apparently. I am from the south as well, though. Anyways, sorry August, I am not man enough to take it in any other form than shots or with coke. Sometimes I go with a splash of water, but it is hard.
All this alcohol talk has made me want a strikeout like no other. Basically what a strikeout is, is a gravity bong hit that you do not exhale, then you chug a beer and take a shot and exhale. One time I did this with a Sierra Nevada Porter and some Knob Creek, that was a hell of long (short) night. Plus it was dumb. I should have just used some High Lifes and Popov.
-
oh my god dude, what did you do to him? Did you make him do that bong of death thing that Keith just scared the bejeezus out of me with?
-
Coke is for Tennessee Whiskey (typically Sour Mash). Bourbon is to be drunk neat, with neither mixer nor ice. Unless you're talking about Wild Turkey, which is only palatable when mixed with ginger ale and served over ice.
-
Knob Creek is sour mash. In fact, if I am not mistaken, sour mash is very, very typical in Bourbon. Also, if you are calling Tennessee Whiskey Jack Daniels then that is basically bourbon but is not made in the right place, plus that thing they do. Some distilling/filtering thing I can't think of right now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_mash
-
Yes that's basically what I'm doing
The difference lies in such as tradition and honor
Proffesional respect makes distillers of whiskey not call their products which might be considered hell of equivalent 'bourbon'
-
I guess Kentucky wants to be like the French all claiming that it's only Sparkling Wine if it isn't made in the Champagne region of France. Sorry Frank, but it had to be said.
-
I for one agree with Kentucky's (is there a Bourbon County? Well all of it comes from one county I think.) claims. Anyway, Choop is right, the other places respect Bourbon to much to call their Whiskey that, but they could if they wanted to.
The French are assholes though. I mean come on. Bourbon is the sweetest of the brown liqours, it has something that Tennessee whiskey can't touch. Champagne? Any idiot could make that.
-
I guess Kentucky wants to be like the French all claiming that it's only Sparkling Wine if it isn't made in the Champagne region of France. Sorry Frank, but it had to be said.
I have to go with Paul on this. Unless there's some botanical difference like with vidalia onions needing to be grown in a specific hunk of dirt.
-
The difference lies in such as tradition and honor
Proffesional respect makes distillers of whiskey not call their products which might be considered hell of equivalent 'bourbon'
-
It's a name. Bourbon is Kentucky whiskey. You'd could make corn whiskey the same way the do in Scotland, but would it be Scotch? I don't know.
Yes, there is a Bourbon County. It's just north of Lexington.
Sorry to harsh on you Keith. I seem to do that a lot. I don't mean it nasty. You're good people, even if you do get on my nerves.
"Sour Mash" means you take some of the fermented grain from the last batch of whiskey and mix it in with the grain (mash) for the new batch. Virtually all good whiskeys are sour mash.
My original snarky point was not really Kentucky-centric. It was more about pouring fuck*ng Coca-Cola into high grade spirits. You don't pour Grape Nehi into VSOP. There's nothing wrong with a bourbon and coke, but that's what Jim Beam is for. Anybody who says they can appreciate the finer points of a whiskey after pouring a bunch of sugar, caramel color, citric acid, caffeine, et al into it is a dammed liar.
-
this reminds me of the look on someone's face when I told them that I really enjoy vanilla ice cream in red wine.
it's really fuck*ng good. shut up. my great-grandma gave it to me.
-
Duvel is overcarbonated.
For wits, I recommend Chambly or Allagash White over Hoegaarden.
For tripels, I recommend Victory Golden Monkey (9.5% abv love.) or Delerium Tremens.
For trappist/abbey, I recommend Corsendonk over Chimay in that Corsendonk has never given me a hangover.
For quadruppels/barleywines, Allagash Quattro is pretty keen, as is Samichlaus (14% abv love) and to a lesser degree Rogue Old Crustacean.
Also Golden Carolus Tripel.
-
Yea, sorry... I am realitively inexperienced in my liqours. Five years ago I was drinking cheap rum and coke, so you know, I have come a long ways. I am also just 21, so my liqour experience is really just coming to age. I mean, I have been drinking for a while, and known of some good brands, etc, but it is completely different when you can go to a store and get what you want, as long as you have the money. Basically, yea, you are right, but I really like Knob Creek with a splash of coke, while I like 2 shots of beam with a 20 ounce of coke (exageration). That is kind of the difference I guess. I will buy knob creek to drink 1 or 2 drink a night, with like 3-4 shots and less than an ounce of coke and some ice. I will buy beam handles to go out partying. Eventually I am chugging it out of the bottle, so I can handle my whiskey, just I prefer the sweeter drink I guess.
I haven't bought Knob Creek in a while though, haven't had the money (Or the time until next tuesday, damn you finals week and work). Usually if I am getting decent liquor now it is Bulleit, which I also mix with a little coke. I don't know if I can appreciate good whiskey, but I do know that if I buy good whiskey I use it differently and can make a bourbon and coke drink that I can stand with alot less coke. I never said that I could appreciate good whiskey though, and I may be runing it or whatever, but I can totally tell the difference, so that is good enough for me. I am more worried about getting money to make more Bourbon and cokes than I am with you being harsh on me, so don't worry about that. Plus, what is the internet for, except for being an asshole (not that you were, just saying) to strangers and Education? Edit: And your post was both (Not really assholish, but short maybe). It is hard to be educational over these here googles without coming off a bit harsh.
Basically, since that top mess may not make sense, even if I use Knob Creek with coke, the extra money is worth it to me because of three things:
1- I drink it slower and can make a 750 last for like a week(Mon-Thur). If I buy a handle of Jim Beam it is done in two days, even if I buy it on Monday with the purpose of it lasting until friday night. This gets more expensive than Knob Creek if I drink any more than those two days before friday, and I always do.
2- I can get to a weeknight satisfactory buzz off of one drink instead of three or four.
3- The Bourbon and Cokes are better.
-
Dude, just please don't pour coke into good Bourbon. Ice maybe, or water even.
It's like putting Ketchup (Catsup?) on caviar.
-
Oh, I had almost forgotten about mentioning hard liquor. theinev, if you've got a small stomach then try some Diamond Juice instead of beer. Ketel One is pretty good, albeit expensive. My fella always drinks Jack Daniels and Coke, it's hella sweet for my tastes.
I'm a Scotch girl myself, and my typical drink is J&B and soda. More expensive Scotch is served neat.
I had waded into the bourbon versus whiskey fray on TOUAMB before, and I'll never do that again. Yes, there is a huge difference.
-
Dude, just please don't pour coke into good Bourbon. Ice maybe, or water even.
It's like putting Ketchup (Catsup?) on caviar.
Your right, and I will see what I can do. I am going on a road trip to NYC soon, so maybe by the time I have cash for good Bourbon I will be able to drink it correctly. I can take down some Knob Creeks with water, but it is not as enjoyable.
Anyways, I would need sooooooooooooo much ketchup to get through some caivar, so that may not be the best example (I am just fuck*ng around, please do not take any offense at this).
I have horrible ability to adjust to tastes, especially food. I cannot eat olives no matter how hard I try.
Honestly, I would ask you why the fuck you care about my bourbon drinking, i'll do what I like, etc., but that would be hypocritical of me, and, really, any human. Example: The reason all of this started was because I recomended some beers to inev. after he said he didn't like beer. We all have our opinions and some are more valid than others, usually because of experience. Your opinion is more valid than mine in this example, but, you know, they are just opinions. Also, you are from Kentucky, and that deserves hell of respect in terms of whiskey. Basically I am sorry and we can just drop this. I will never again speak of my yummy Creek and Cokes, but I will try a couple with just ice next time I have some good bourbon, maybe I will like it now. And like I said, I understand that it is smarter to use cheap stuff for mixing, but it ends up costing me more in the end, just because of the way I view the stuff. It is all mental, but it is still there.
Goddammit, that went the wrong way again. I am sorry, I will quit talking about bourbon. I have been drinking good bourbon for less than a year, and really have no idea what I am talking about. If we could only get together for some Jim Beam and Coke or neat Knob Creek and put this all behind us.
-
linnea-- oh, yeah. I mean, I totally get hard liquors more. They, at least, can be combined with other things to elicit a pleasing taste. This blue gin stuff (Nunn? something?) mixed with lemonade was pretty delicious. As was rum/coke. As was jagermeister. With these, the pleasant effects come with a small enough quantity that I get the appeal. But for me, drinking enough beers to get any sort of feeling beyond "wow, this is kind of a shitty taste" would not work well with my stomach size.
Part of the problem, of course, comes from the "I am coming into this room that I might drink alcohol." nature of freshman-year parties. Technically we are not allowed to have parties as freshman, so, they are typically; not loud, small... mostly just people drinking before they head off to bigger events elsewhere.
tonight, I spent my time reading 100 pages of "The Catullan Revolution" by Kenneth Quinn. I am kind of worried about myself, but, I really needed to get that shit done.
Also: a large chunk of my floor are having Problems as a result of their imbibing of liquids.
-
Dont worry about it, I spent today writing a 15 page paper (and drinking 3 Shiner Bochs very slowly).
-
I spent today trying to grade artificial intelligence papers wherein the students wrote in a clearly imperative pseudo-code when they were expressly asked to write in the logic-based Prolog. I was continually distracted by Other Things, because grading such papers is excruciatingly not fun.
In other words, I don't drink The Alcohol, so I have nothing to add here!
-
Honestly, I would ask you why the fuck you care about my bourbon drinking,
Basically, I'm just fuck*ng with you.
-
Basically, I'm just fuck*ng with you.
My big pet peeve is when people make snide comments to imply that I am not evolved as they are in the world of drink. One of my friend's fathers, who is an alcoholic, made fun of me when I requested a rum and coke, saying that it was a "college drink". Asshole.
Then there was a bartender in Hawaii who tried to tell me that it was unfeminine for me to request a Scotch and soda. Asshole.
Then there are friends of mine here who tell me, "You can't put soda water in there! You have to drink Scotch neat!" My reply: "Hey asshole, the more expensive Scotch is to be drunk neat. I can do whatever the fuck I like with J&B and Johnnie Walker Red and Dewar's and their ilk, so fuck off."
Basically, I like what I like, so don't try to tell me different. There are some people who think that only well liquor should be mixed and that all the rest have to be drunk neat. Well, if that's what you like to do then fine. It's my money, I want J&B with soda water (or bourbon mixed with Coke), so fuck off.
-
May I direct you to our fine selection of fortified wines, Madam?
-
Basically, I'm just fuck*ng with you.
P.S. I'm sorry for fuck*ng with you. Drink your Knob Creek however you like. Maybe with a splash of OJ or Chocolate Milk.
-
Then there was a bartender in Hawaii who tried to tell me that it was unfeminine for me to request a Scotch and soda. Asshole.
Whenever the Technical Staff and I order margaritas, the waitperson can never remember which of us wants the one without salt, and doesn't seem to be able to guess either. I am always surprised by this. Isn't without salt the obviously girly choice?
-
Drink your Knob Creek however you like. Maybe with a splash of OJ or Chocolate Milk.
with a Hunts chaser.
-
Cheap vodka in a clear plastic jug (Mr. Boston, prefered) and Hawaiian Punch was our college drink of choice.
We called it a "Bloody Janitor", both as a pun on the Bloody Mary and as a reference to the fact that the next morning, the janitor will think someone was puking up blood.
We were classy up in the Syracuse. We were practically wearing monocles.
-
see, the fact that the janitor will know that anyone was puking up anything turns me right off.
-
See, this is the kind of thing that makes me a little discouraged about starting to drink. I already apparently have enough cryptopsychosexual signals indicating to people that I'm overmasculine or transsexual or a hopeless woman-child or whatnot; alcohol only allows a wide, pristine vista for fuck*ng up my perceived identity further.
-
I dunno, though, for where I was college-wise, my adventures in drinking were intensely tame.
At SU, a dork like me who only got destroyed Fridays and Saturdays... and almost never at bars, almost always at parties or small gatherings... that made me practically a teetotaler.
My family history of possessing half-measures of madness... manic-depression on my father's side, a few schizoid-effectives on my mother's side... made me paranoid of drinking too, I didn't have my first drink until college myself.
(I suppose I take after my father's side.)
But for my own purposes, I found that drinking didn't... unleash some uncontrollable id beast or anything and that... ultimately, people only go crazy when drinking if they're purposefully using drinking as an excuse to let that monster out. Because they think that can be their alibi.
"I don't know, I was drunk, don't blame me!"
This may be true of a few people with damaged metabolisms or long-term chemical dependencies.
But I quickly discovered that my inhibitions were almost never lowered any more than if I was kind of sleepy, very managable and never "not me" except maybe that one time I drank to mild alcohol poisoning and even then I just got weepy and started apologizing for things a dozen years old until I passed out.
Most of the time, the worst that happened from overdrinking was... I was physically ill and... that was that.
Was this partly because I never let myself become an every-day drinker as my priorities didn't allow that? Sure, somewhat I suppose.
But really, as long as it isn't overdone or done for the excuse of "letting yourself" go crazy, it could be... at least for me... an effective tool for socializing and generally numbing myself to the madness of being a human, a young human at that, in a world where society is fundamentally failed/inequal and death is a horrible mystery breathing down your neck until the moment it catches you and then probably nothing at all.
The only people who take a Jeckyll ride are the people who've been aching to do so blamelessly.
-
I meant in the sense of "if I order X DRINK, people will think Y about me, which is untrue!", possibly in the specific of "if I order something incorrect, AugustWest will think I'm a jerkoff," not the actual effects of alcohol per se, but... thanks for sharing?
-
Ah! My apologies.
I'll simply repeat my father's wisdom then:
"Look, if you want something that actually tastes good, go eat something tasty. If you're trying to get screwed up, find something that you can keep down and can afford and go get screwed up. The whole point of getting screwed up is not overthinking it."
-
This whole argument wouldn't take place if we all just drank Milwaukee's Best Ice tall boys from a paper bag.
-
Milwaukee's Best Ice
Could a beer taste MORE like urine with rust shavings in it?
-
yeah, all the kids here who drink are of the "I work harder than Dan during the week, and then I drink until I pass out in the hallway and my roommate has to tuck me into bed" variety.
-
All the kids that I know are of the "I drink until like 3 or 4 in the morning everytime I drink (at least 3-4 times a week) unless there is a better drug available(weed doesn't count, it is a helper drug that can stand on its own, but is always there) and I wake up after 4 hours of sleep and go to class and do decent but I don't really give a shit, I can probably get into medical or law or graduate school then I will try hard, and even if I don't get into a graduate school I can at least get a decent job because I graduated from college" variety. Oh yeah, they are also the "I stay up for a week straight on adderall or other types of speed during finals and pull an all nighter everytime I have a long paper or test" type studiers. This is also my style, but I recently had to get a job so it is a bit hard to keep up.
-
yeah, I'm trying a thing where I start my paper for tomorrow Now instead of At Midnight. It might work, or it might not.
Right now it is not, since I am on here. And Facebook. Curse the internet (but also, I love it.)
-
Could a beer taste MORE like urine with rust shavings in it?
Probably not. I think that's the main ingredient.
-
yeah, I'm trying a thing where I start my paper for tomorrow Now instead of At Midnight. It might work, or it might not.
Right now it is not, since I am on here. And Facebook. Curse the internet (but also, I love it.)
That is a hard thing to do. I wrote the majority of a 15 page paper yesterday and am finishing now, along with some internet surfing. I absolutely had to though, as I have a test at 8 am on tuesday and another at 430pm on tuesday. Jesus, I mind of wish I had done more earlier, but I will get through with a decent gpa (3+) out of like 10 hard days of work a semester and alot of drugging the rest of the time. I am alright with that.
-
oof. Yeah, I also have a test in that class tomorrow. (Latin)
But yeah, i just found out that I basically wasted all of yesterday. Apparently I need to turn in an "organized" outline of the book along with my paper, which means I need to re-do the outline I did yesterday.
Luckily the paper itself is just a summarization and review of this book. So, it shouldn't be that bad (?)
The good news is, tomorrow is my last day of classes. And then I have 3 days of nothing, then my Arabic exam, then 4 or 5 days of nothing, then my film exam.
And then I get to go home. It sounds soon, but it's in 10 days.
-
That's because you're not drinking the right sort of beer. Why dontcha try some Belgian framboise beer? That might convince you that beer can be delicious. Then move on to stuff like German rauchbier (smoked barley! mmm!).
man. this reminds me of when I was little, and my dad gave me a sip of beer.
It tasted horrible. he explained that it was an "acquired taste."
I took this to mean it would somehow taste different when I was older. But, no. It still tastes like shit. wtf.
-
I'm ashamed to admit that I made up an interview for a paper required for a class in my major. The assignment required an interview, and I made it up as I made up the paper.
Even worse, I got a 93.
My degree's a shambles. *sob*
-
I did something similar to that, only I not only made up the interview, I made up the entire person.
-
Interview + Person: check.
-
let's be honest, people. What I am doing right now is probably a hunts' move.
but drinking anything out of a shot-glass is just hell of satisfying.
although I'm pretty sure drinking hell of caffeine/energy shit is basically the opposite of what they are designed for, it sure as hell works pretty well. 1 shot is basically the perfect amount of anything to drink at one time.
5000 mg of "energy blend" (l-carnitine, glucose, caffeine, guarana, inositol, glucoronolactone, maltodextrin) is probably a lot to drink at once, right?
2000 mg of Taurine?
You'd think they could put something into it so it wouldn't be the color of... something a mad scientist would give to you.
-
5000 mg of "energy blend" (l-carnitine, glucose, caffeine, guarana, inositol, glucoronolactone, maltodextrin) is probably a lot to drink at once, right?
2000 mg of Taurine?
Eh... well I wouldn't reccomend someone with severe high blood pressure or diabetes mellitus taking all of it, but a healthy adult should be alright.
l-carnitine (mineral/vitamin), glucose (sugar), caffeine (mild stimulant), guarana (unpurified caffiene), inositol (vitamin), glucoronolactone (sugar), maltodextrin (sugar)
5000mg is 5 grams. A gram is basically 1 mL of water. An ounce is about 30 mL. So you can think of the volume of this being only about 1/6 of an ounce. Probably the size of a big vitamin tablet.
2 g Taurine, another parent of caffiene. Should be fine with them as long as you don't get addicted and drink a full one every single day.
-
That's because you're not drinking the right sort of beer. Why dontcha try some Belgian framboise beer? That might convince you that beer can be delicious. Then move on to stuff like German rauchbier (smoked barley! mmm!).
I have previously in a thread made a response to almost this exact statement. The short form is "you know, sometimes it's possible to just not like something that other people like".
It's like telling me I'm only heterosexual because I haven't found the right guy to bone yet. (Or, conversely, telling a gay guy he just hasn't found the right woman yet, which is apparently more socially unacceptable than the straight-guy version.)
"The Right Beer" for some people would be something that does not taste like beer. Not even like good beer.
-
I was savaged here once for suggesting that no one likes the taste of beer. Savaged I say. People drink beer because it's a cheap way to get drunk. I say that people who drink beer for the taste are in serious denial.
-
The problem here is the definition of the word "like" or, more completely, the word "good." If "good" means "subjectively pleasurable" then Paul deserves his savaging. However, if "good" means "The Good," as in Plato's World of Forms, then this subject is open to further debate.
-
I think it is touching that everyone is so concerned that the beer-haters have tragically never been exposed to truly good beer. They just want to make sure you have had the Real Thing before you give up, at least. I suppose I would feel the same way if you told me you didn't like chocolate.
I have had lots of very high quality beer, often sitting not six feet from the place it was made. I can appreciate that some of it is good and some of it is bad, and I have preferences among different types. My palate has been quite highly educated. However, I still never want to drink a whole glass of the stuff. But at least I know for sure it's not that I am missing something.
-
I like the taste of beer. Good beer and bad beer. I think I'll buy some on the way home.
I don't care if you drink it or not. I won't give you shit about drinking bad beer or not drinking good beer. Unless you're KeithHernandez, because I've made it my personal mission to fuck with him.
-
I like the taste of beer. Good beer and bad beer. I think I'll buy some on the way home.
I don't care if you drink it or not. I won't give you shit about drinking bad beer or not drinking good beer. Unless you're KeithHernandez, because I've made it my personal mission to fuck with him.
Doubleplus agreement for cholesterol man.
Just 'cause I keep some '96 Orfina white reisling on the rack doesn't mean I can't belly up to a case of Miller now and then.
Que sera fuck*ng sera motherbitches
-
Almost-holiday spirit! good cheer! awww! *hugs all around*
-
Hey, I like good beer and bad beer too.
-
Hey, I like good beer and bad beer too.
That changes nothing. NOTHING!!!
Mwahahahahaha!
-
..and every so often, I enjoy a Krystal Burger. Yanks, that's nothing as good as a White Castle, mind you. Krystal is not just bad, it's horrific. Still, every once in a while, a Saturday for lunch after getting plastered on Friday; maybe a Tuesday lunch if the week isn't looking good... it's just what the doctor ordered.
Of course, I don't let cheap beer touch my lips. That's a completely different situation.
-
My state has liqour laws that prevent liqour stores from being open on sun and after 9. Usually Saturday night resulted in all of the liqour in the house being cleaned out. It is not something that I want to do, but sometimes cheap beer is the only way. Although recently I am starting to like it. No shame in a nice Miller High Life every once in a while.
Edit: Also, convenience and grocery stores are only allowed to sell 3.2 beer. Lame.
-
True story. First, some context: Here in Georgia we have, perhaps famously, "Blue Laws" that prevent alcohol from being sold at retail outlets on Sundays. Entertainment establishments, though, such as theaters* and restaurants, are allowed to sell alcohol, with no difference from a Friday, after twelve noon.
The missus tells me one day that the state legislature is fast-tracking a repeal of the Blue Laws, which would enable liquor stores to be open and grocery stores to sell beer on Sundays. A friend, involved in politics, asks me like a week later to tell me what she's been told I know about the Blue Laws. I reply that I heard about the legislature working to repeal them. My wife says, "See?" and I announce that she's the one who told me. She then announces that she heard the same thing from the friend who's asking me about it. It's a little rumor triangle!
Hey, I said it was true, not that it was good.
*theater (n): a location which hosts the presentation of works of fiction or documentary.
theatre (n): the art of presenting works of fiction or documentary.
-
So over here you got NYC and you got Long Island, and two boroughs (counties) on LI are part of the city and two counties are not the city. In the city, liquor stores only have to close before a certain time on Sunday and beer is sold anywhere, all week, 24 hours. On Long Island, 12:01AM Saturday night, 7-11 bolts down the beer fridge with a metal cage. That's high quality bullshit, if you ask me. Ruined a few nights out on the Island on the times I've saddled up and headed out there.
But no huge deal, you can always compensate by vandalizing.
-
Well, fair enough but from what I've seen of Long Island...
Either you're in the part of Long Island where you're close enough to jump over into Queens to get yourself some beer pretty quickly or... you're in the part of Long Island where it takes a long time to get to Queens to get some beer but in that part of Long Island, you have servants to do that sort of thing.
So it's a winny-winny chicken-dinny kind of thing.
-
Heh, I have a bottleshop that's open till 11pm 7 days a week less than 100 metres from my back door. It's good being a country descended from criminal scum instead of puritans.
I might go buy some beer right now.
EDIT: I did!