The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on December 12, 2006, 09:26:57 pm

Title: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: melack on December 12, 2006, 09:26:57 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12132006

So, uh. I guess my prediction of a Beatles-sounding band fell short of the mark. Good music played well by men, indeed.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 12, 2006, 09:30:55 pm
I'd've gone with "I'ma think out loud here" as the title but... we're definitely splitting hairs.

Am I the only person who couldn't get into "Lord of the Rings" at all?

Couldn't even get through the books, books that are 80% exposition and universe-building tend to interest me very little... and the movies were pretty to look at but such long rambling slow paced things that I almost fell asleep.

And I don't fall asleep during a movie easily. The only movie that has ever put me to sleep was "Annie Hall"... but, man, did "Fellowship of the Ring" come close.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 12, 2006, 09:34:18 pm
UH, I hate Lord of the Rings also.  Good strip though.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: melack on December 12, 2006, 09:36:20 pm
I read the books back in... 8th grade or so? But I didn't start with the trilogy. I read the Hobbit first, which is like dipping your toes into a hot tub. It's a good way to get hooked on the series. After that it's pretty easy.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: wombat on December 12, 2006, 09:38:13 pm
Wow, so not what I would expect of a good song like a man would play at a concert.  But no way I'm going to argue with Nice Pete.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: AugustWest on December 12, 2006, 09:48:53 pm
UH, I hate Lord of the Rings also.  Good strip though.

I'm watching you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsbii7Q4wgM&mode=related&search=)

You too, Inev.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: theinevitable on December 12, 2006, 09:54:07 pm
what did I do?

I mean, I don't get LOTR either... but mostly because I always decide to read it when I'm on some long trip. And then I fall asleep, or lose the book, or something like that.

also... I'm pretty sure today is the 12th.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: AugustWest on December 12, 2006, 09:55:39 pm
I meant LFM.  But I'll be watching you too.  Why not?
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: V-Adore on December 12, 2006, 09:55:52 pm
Wow, the Acheverse appears to have just skipped a day.

Anyway, I approve of Mister Band being the next Rhapsody. Now they just need a hero to write songs about, ala DAAAAAAAARGOOOR OF THE SHADOWLAAAANDS.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: Drygioni on December 12, 2006, 10:01:37 pm
Assuming Lyle is playing in the key of F, I've got to submit my congratulations. That repeated B note is PERFECT for the elves and dwarfs type thing. Seriously everyone, try it.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: melack on December 12, 2006, 10:06:15 pm
also... I'm pretty sure today is the 12th.

That may be true, but in the alternate dimension where Chris Onstad lives, today is the 13th.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: Drastic Action on December 12, 2006, 10:07:08 pm
Wow, when "strip returns wednesday," showed up, I thought for sure I had missed getting a birthday strip this year again.  But no, somehow it shows up in the afternoon.  Coincidentally, I actually just woke up, due to completely crazy time schedule shenanigans going down today, so it almost is like tomorrow already, while still being today.

I love those lyrics.  That is excellent.

Now, I've got to go prepare to take a final.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: melack on December 12, 2006, 10:09:10 pm
Here, take this good luck can of Dr. Pepper with you to your final. I hope it serves you well.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: Roger on December 12, 2006, 10:40:51 pm
Suddenly Nice Pete started to sound like Nick Cave in my head. I mean, if you just swap all the Bible references in Cave's lyrics with Tolkien lore.

As to the Lord of the Rings connection, Onstad probably thought of it after looking at Paul's kid picture from yesterday. Just check the poster in the background.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: robot_god on December 13, 2006, 12:30:26 am
Queensryche - Child of Fire.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: benwo on December 13, 2006, 03:33:52 am
I take back what I said about Jandek.  Mister Band is the new Sunn 0))), with Nice Pete as Julian Cope: http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sunno/white1.html (http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sunno/white1.html)
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: melack on December 13, 2006, 03:44:41 am
I take back what I said about Jandek.  Mister Band is the new Sunn 0))), with Nice Pete as Julian Cope: http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sunno/white1.html (http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sunno/white1.html)

The best part of that site is the ad for four free issues of The Economist with paid subscription. Somehow I picture the dude listening to the song with the lyrics "Here in the bloodlust deeper scar / For here be the wall of Johnny Guitar" as being sooooomewhat different from the dude who reads The Ecomonist.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: applebed on December 13, 2006, 09:55:01 am
You really need to listen to that Sunn0))) song, because the most hilarious part of the lyrics is:

"Look to the Saxon chasing Viking
Look to the Norman chasing Saxon
Look to the German chasing German
German German German German..."
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: jaydub on December 13, 2006, 08:57:48 pm
More hilarious than
"Spunked the vegetation into being
Spilled the super seed into the one day superceded earth."
?

There's an awkward construction.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: applebed on December 13, 2006, 10:34:49 pm
That's just tryhard. If you can listen to the song without cracking up at that particular lyric, it's a sure sign that you don't have a soul.

Is it wrong that I'm rather fond of Nice Pete? I'm by no means a serial-killer obsessive, but Cropes is one lovable sociopath.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: V-Adore on December 13, 2006, 11:34:38 pm
Is it wrong that I'm rather fond of Nice Pete? I'm by no means a serial-killer obsessive, but Cropes is one lovable sociopath.

It's because he's so earnest, I think. He wants strange things for unfathomable reasons, but he wants them sincerely, and you can't fault that.

Well, okay, you can fault that when it's a bag full of human hands or something, but not when it's a music-core band.
Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: arkabee on December 14, 2006, 03:36:05 pm
best strip ever since the last best strip ever.

GREATNESS SHALL OVERCOME THE ADVERSITY INHERENT TO ITS CONTEXT!

Title: Re: 13 Dec 2006 - TAAASTE ... HELLLLL! TASTE HELL, YOU LIARS!
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2006, 04:10:29 pm
Well hey Ark.  Good as hell to see you.