The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on December 14, 2006, 01:45:02 am

Title: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 14, 2006, 01:45:02 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12142006

Holy SHIT but Ray has all kinda famous relatives he never knew about.

Alternative thread titles:  "You truly have your grandfather's taste for cod" or "It's half-past Chablis o'thirty!"
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on December 14, 2006, 01:51:44 am
fantastic.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on December 14, 2006, 02:30:57 am
I'm impressed that Lyle knew Rustmouth's real name. Either he was incredibly famous or Lyle's a big fan.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: DanSC on December 14, 2006, 02:46:42 am
I'm impressed that Lyle knew Rustmouth's real name. Either he was incredibly famous or Lyle's a big fan.

I bet Lyle is into some pretty obscure music.

Is this going to open into a huge GOF style story arc?
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2006, 03:11:19 am
I am happy to note that his growing number of famous relations is Ray's only similarity to Dagwood from "Blondie".
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 14, 2006, 03:15:04 am
I am happy to note that his growing number of famous relations is Ray's only similarity to Dagwood from "Blondie".

Although the Achewood that disproves this assertion could well be amazing.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on December 14, 2006, 03:16:04 am
I also like "part of puttin' out music means believin' in somethin' you don't believe in." Now that's knowledge you can take to the bank!
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2006, 03:29:24 am
Quote from: Victoria Waterfield
Although the Achewood that disproves this assertion could well be amazing.

True.

But I can't see Ray making giant ugly sandwiches, what with his pretensions toward being a foodie and...

I can't see Ray abandoning his wealth for a reformed golddigger, even in a crass attempt to make the strip more palatable to the larger audience during the Great Depression.

I'm at a loss for any other Dagwood Bumstead character traits.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on December 14, 2006, 03:31:14 am
True.

But I can't see Ray making giant ugly sandwiches, what with his pretensions toward being a foodie and...

I can't see Ray abandoning his wealth for a reformed golddigger, even in a crass attempt to make the strip more palatable to the larger audience during the Great Depression.

I'm at a loss for any other Dagwood Bumstead character traits.

The man will still get six kinds of nasty on a cold cut trio from Subway so he ain't all that fancy.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on December 14, 2006, 03:32:49 am
dagwood... great depression? what? it's that old?
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2006, 03:38:54 am
Yeah, but Ray does enjoy lounging in the bathtub, and I can see him enjoying a nap on the couch.  Also, If he should ever get into a big hurry, Ray could run into the mailman and bowl him over.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2006, 04:03:56 am
Quote from: theinevitable
dagwood... great depression? what? it's that old?

Oh yeah. The strip was originally about a floozy named Blondie who was chasing after a bunch of rich dudes, Dagwood Bumstead being only one of them. Hence the title "Blondie". He was a slightly unsavoury Ivy-League fop sorta jerk... sort of the George W. Bush of the 1920s.

But as the Depression got worse and worse, the working-poor-and-worse had no point of identification with those kinds of characters. So... rather than stop the strip, they had Blondie and Dagwood actually fall in love (out of nowhere) and had him (out of nowhere) disowned by his rich family for marrying a commoner.

And then he had to get a job and they had cute kids and the whole awful schmear that we know as Blondie today... "Blondie: the only strip almost as bad as Cathy".
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2006, 04:08:07 am
Interesting bit o' trivia:  My dad, prior to marrying my mom, was engaged to Chic Young's (creater of Blondie n' Dagwood) daughter (Cookie?).
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 14, 2006, 04:08:20 am
And then he had to get a job and they had cute kids and the whole awful schmear that we know as Blondie today... "Blondie: the only strip almost as bad as Cathy".

So I suppose another way Ray could be like Dagwood is if Blondie has his retarded baby (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05232003).
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2006, 04:14:21 am
I've long suspected that "Cathy" isn't actually written or drawn by a woman.

Could a woman actually think that little of women?

My main theory is that Rush Limbaugh writes it and Cathy Guisewhite is actually... some kind of muppet... like Jabba the Hutt or post-assassination-attempt Reagan.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on December 14, 2006, 05:45:17 am
are you forgetting family circus? and Rex Morgan/your choice of horrible soap-opera comic? there are so many worse comics.

plus, I'm sure somewhere there's someone drawing a comic which takes its influence from Cathy, but isn't as successful.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2006, 06:16:01 am
Family Circus and Generic-Serial-Drama-Strips at least possess can be appreciated as kitsch if you're into the whole irony thing. Family Circus is an interesting view into a world where Saturday Evening Post covers were given a lobotomy and many Generic-Serial-Drama-Strips have interestingly awful art... strange attempts at realism that are given up on halfway into the drawings and just sorta stop.

"Cathy" can only be made interesting, even ironically, by bringing in outside ideas. Alton Brown would compare "Cathy" to using water instead of stock... even mediocre store-bought stock... in a recipe. It "brings nothing to the party" at all.

You gotta bring in Ray having phone sex with her or... Rush Limbaugh and Bob Dole having pillow fights over whether this week will focus on her buying too much stuff or will focus on her believing she is fat.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Drastic Action on December 14, 2006, 06:27:37 am
To attempt to derail the thread even further (http://doug.finalownage.com/img/garf.jpg)..

Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2006, 06:45:20 am
Is that some sort of permutation on The Arbuckle Project... the thing where they take out Garfield's thought bubbles and Jon seems like a sad lonely man who talks to his pets in lieu of human contact?

That meme was certainly overdone? But, man, when it worked, it sure did work.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on December 14, 2006, 06:46:25 am
man. I hate Garfield a whole lot.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2006, 06:51:55 am
The Family Circus is worthwhile if only because it gave us (indirectly and unintentionally) the DFC.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: smick on December 14, 2006, 06:55:24 am
Alas poor Spinnwebe.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2006, 06:56:14 am
This is much of my point:

Garfield and even The Family Circus can be remade into something interesting through pretty simple recontextualization. Through one level of recontextualization.

Cathy... man, you gotta really work to find a way to make it interesting in any way.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on December 14, 2006, 08:05:02 am
In the Telegraph I found what was possibly the worst comic ever committed to paper in the entire universe. Here's a rundown of that day's "Fred Bassett (hound)"

Panel 1
Dog: (carrying a bone) They say there's a time and a place for everything.

Panel 2
Dog: (Digging hole) THIS is the time...

Panel 3
Dog: (Putting bone in hole (oo-er)) And THIS is the place!

It actually made me cry a little.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on December 14, 2006, 08:19:39 am
to be perfectly fair, has any britisher ever written a good comic? maybe I am forgetting one (but, no. I'm not. I'm just pretending to be generous.)
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on December 14, 2006, 08:30:14 am
to be perfectly fair, has any britisher ever written a good comic? maybe I am forgetting one (but, no. I'm not. I'm just pretending to be generous.)

John Allison?
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on December 14, 2006, 08:36:59 am
oh. perhaps.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Drastic Action on December 14, 2006, 09:33:03 am
Is that some sort of permutation on The Arbuckle Project... the thing where they take out Garfield's thought bubbles and Jon seems like a sad lonely man who talks to his pets in lieu of human contact?

That meme was certainly overdone? But, man, when it worked, it sure did work.

Yeah, when it was on, it was on.  There were a lot of other permutations.  The randomizer I found was the best -- it would just grab a series of random panels and you'd have a comic.  3/4 of the time it didn't make sense, but sometimes..  it was just genius.

I don't think I can really explain what I linked.  It's just..  bizarre.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: dejavroom on December 14, 2006, 11:07:08 am
to be perfectly fair, has any britisher ever written a good comic?

Alan Moore, for starters?
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 14, 2006, 02:57:54 pm
The Family Circus is worthwhile if only because it gave us (indirectly and unintentionally) the DFC.

The link, man, give them the link!
http://dfc.furr.org/archive/1.html
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Bimmicus on December 14, 2006, 03:38:54 pm
Behold the miracle; that which was ever unfunny and unentertaining... becomes funny and entertaining:

http://www.joshreads.com/ (http://www.joshreads.com/) (warning: You will either totally not get it or waste untold hours here. There appears to be no middle ground)

Also, say what you will about Blondie, but she's got the most awe-inspiring rack on the entire comics page.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2006, 04:12:53 pm
The link, man, give them the link!
http://dfc.furr.org/archive/1.html

I...I just assumed everybody knew the DFC.  I mean, that's like... wow.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on December 14, 2006, 05:39:00 pm
In the Telegraph I found what was possibly the worst comic ever committed to paper in the entire universe. Here's a rundown of that day's "Fred Bassett (hound)"

I say that Mallard Fillmore is worse and not just because I disagree with the politics. The art never has the slightest thing to do with the strip. It'll be 3 panels of Mallard in front of random buildings holding a briefcase and talking aloud about Clinton. It's actually a step down from a large pig with "TAX CUTS" written on it.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2006, 11:59:40 pm
Point A:

Blondie does have a great rack. I did not state that as I assumed it was presumed in any discussion of Blondie.

Point B:

This "Joshreads" reminds me... does anyone else remember Mallard Fillmore being, like, almost politically opposite to the current lockstep Military-Religious-Complex Conservative stand it takes these days? I could swear I remember it being, early in its run, pretty much Democratic in its slant? Like, not necessarily, "liberal" but sort of... existing ideologically square in the more socially conservative part of the Democratic mainstream?

Or am I crazy?
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 15, 2006, 12:58:30 am
Behold the miracle; that which was ever unfunny and unentertaining... becomes funny and entertaining:

http://www.joshreads.com/ (http://www.joshreads.com/) (warning: You will either totally not get it or waste untold hours here. There appears to be no middle ground)

So I went to this site, and it was indeed funny and entertaining, and I wasted untold hours there. And it got me thinking, yes, snarky comments about stupid things are almost endlessly amusing, but reading other people's snark is the least productive thing one can possibly do. And then I wondered, what if the information-based economy isn't the end-point of a country's economic development? What if we progress to a snark-based economy? Is this how everyone will spend their lives in the future? Will we all make a living by selling each other cafepress.com t-shirts?
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2006, 01:12:05 am
yeah.

I'm not gonna lie, one of my friends is already making extra cash this way. the rest will soon follow, I predict.

Does anyone really need a "Jesus is my Homo" t-shirt with a picture of an effeminate Jesus holding a purse? Why does someone need that?
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: wombat on December 15, 2006, 01:14:07 am
What if we progress to a snark-based economy? Is this how everyone will spend their lives in the future? Will we all make a living by selling each other cafepress.com t-shirts?

I hope you're correct.  It's better than what I fear, which is that our entire economy is going to come to a grinding halt because everyone is doing nothing but looking at other people's pictures on Flickr.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2006, 01:24:10 am
huh. see, unless I know the person, i can rarely find anything I like on Flickr. weird.
Title: Re: Rustmouth Chafings (Dec. 14, 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 15, 2006, 12:42:02 pm
This "Joshreads" reminds me... does anyone else remember Mallard Fillmore being, like, almost politically opposite to the current lockstep Military-Religious-Complex Conservative stand it takes these days? I could swear I remember it being, early in its run, pretty much Democratic in its slant? Like, not necessarily, "liberal" but sort of... existing ideologically square in the more socially conservative part of the Democratic mainstream?

Or am I crazy?

I'm going with "You crazy" on this one.