The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: theinevitable on December 18, 2006, 09:26:30 am

Title: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: theinevitable on December 18, 2006, 09:26:30 am
"that night he tried to commit suicide... but it was so bare that all he could do was roll off the bed until the people downstairs complained."

yes. Straight Blues. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12182006)

Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 18, 2006, 10:17:16 am
This is a pretty funny "strip", but probably one of the hardest Achewood threads to name. 

Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: wombat on December 18, 2006, 01:39:58 pm
I was unmoved by this, until the last sentence, which made it all worthwhile.
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: CortJstr on December 18, 2006, 01:50:33 pm
I'm guessing we get another reading exercise tomorrow where they actually meet.
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 18, 2006, 07:34:31 pm
I quite liked this one but it does raise a question:

When something such as this off-format strip happens, do you ever sit back for a moment and wonder... was the artist playing around with different styles and approaches so as to branch out and experiment or was it a default because the goals of that day's strip weren't going to be accomplished easily in the conventional format?

Because, were I a comic strip artist, I could see myself often saying "aw, crap, I can't figure out how to get the funny and the plot development into the same strip without drawing way more than I want to and putting off future strips in the effort so... I'll draw a couple of things and just put my script for the comic next to it."

In this particular case, I have no idea either way and no judgment upon either reality. It's just a thing.
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: V-Adore on December 18, 2006, 09:04:36 pm
I am reminded of Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird, (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12242004) and I suspect that, when I search the archives in the years to come, I will be just as surprised by this strip as I am by that one. This is certainly the right medium; otherwise, we would have like fifteen panels of Ray just talking and Lyle nodding, like the non-Socrates participant in any Socratic dialectic ever.
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: Sub_Topical on December 18, 2006, 10:48:05 pm
Less readin mor junk yanking dammit. yeaarggh. this is a plot to draw less leading up to the holiday me suspecting much. wavery junkmouth images don't make monday fuck*ngfun day.
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: V-Adore on December 18, 2006, 11:37:45 pm
Less readin mor junk yanking dammit. yeaarggh. this is a plot to draw less leading up to the holiday me suspecting much. wavery junkmouth images don't make monday fuck*ngfun day.

Drunk, or posting in Caveman? You be the judge!
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: Sub_Topical on December 19, 2006, 12:11:33 am
YES
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: vivouk on December 29, 2006, 01:29:20 am
CHOOSE
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: nuero on December 31, 2006, 09:27:41 pm
I quite liked this one but it does raise a question:

When something such as this off-format strip happens, do you ever sit back for a moment and wonder... was the artist playing around with different styles and approaches so as to branch out and experiment or was it a default because the goals of that day's strip weren't going to be accomplished easily in the conventional format?

Because, were I a comic strip artist, I could see myself often saying "aw, crap, I can't figure out how to get the funny and the plot development into the same strip without drawing way more than I want to and putting off future strips in the effort so... I'll draw a couple of things and just put my script for the comic next to it."

In this particular case, I have no idea either way and no judgment upon either reality. It's just a thing.

or, if he'd tried to make it an actual strip, it would've taken three days (which probably means a week), and the board would've probably whined about how slowly the strip was moving
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: linnea on December 31, 2006, 09:45:41 pm
or, if he'd tried to make it an actual strip, it would've taken three days (which probably means a week), and the board would've probably whined about how slowly the strip was moving

Oh! How precious! nuero tried to get it to sound like, "Y O U R
                                                                                            F A U L T"
                                                                             
Title: Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
Post by: nuero on January 01, 2007, 02:32:19 pm
oh, awesome, a reference to achewood.