The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Choop on December 21, 2006, 06:17:10 am
-
The irony of the blues. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12212006)
How lousy is it to be a bluesman with good luck? I'd reckon it all balances out in the end.
-
Yeah, how can you claim blues cred when your life's awesome? That's a great storyline about Rustmouth. The worst best thing that could happen to a bluesman.
-
Wow... panel 6 is abnormally deep thinking for Ray.
-
The POLICE named a street after him.
Not even the mayor or a neighborhood council or a rich blues fan who owned the entire street.
The POLICE.
-
"sir, I think you dropped something"
"yes. it is cocaine. I guess you are going to arrest me, officer."
"no, I understand, you're one o' them blues fellers. here *hands*"
"no! I am a citizen, you have to arrest me! I broke the law!"
"well, sir, I wouldn't want to ruin your reputation over a little thing like this. Let's just call it even."
*sobs*
-
You've got to love how Ray can seague straight back into buisness, a soul search blues man's tale becomes mere Royalty Structrures.
-
Rustmouth's appearance and hygiene appear to be inversely proportional to his wealth and success. Things are going to well for him that he can't bring himself to take a shower. It's all just so terrible.
-
Bustrucket was some kinda OK xmas story I suppose. so blues the blues couldn't keep him.
-
B.B. King got his due in his lifetime, but (honestly) he was always more of a radio huckster than a real bluesman.
And just F.Y.I the "recording age" for country blues (solo accoustic blues, which in the early days meant either Texas or Delta) began pretty much in 1926. That was when somesuch type of microphone became cheap and portable enough to set up in makeshift studios around the dusty old south. Prior to that (starting in the late teens) blues records were mostly female singers (most notably the great Bessie Smith) backed by Jazz bands. Interestingly, the songs those groups sang were mostly from sheet music transcribed by W. C. Handy, a black music professor from Chicago who around the turn of the century was traveling through the south and transcribed a whole lot of songs of this new musical style that he'd never heard before.
A lot of the first generation of bluesmen had some commercial success. Prior to the depression, there was a sizeable black middle class in northern cities, and they were the primary purchasers of blues 78 rpm records (though this was still a niche market, jazz had a bigger fanbase and a MUCH bigger crossover appeal to whites). Blind Lemmon Jefferson was actually wealthy for a while, and owned three cars despite not being able to drive.
Of course the record industry was as evil back then as it is now, and would keep uneducated performers in debt to force them into recording new songs (this is exactly why record labels like to pay rap stars in cars and houses rather than actual cash) and a few years later Lemon froze to death in his Chicago apartment.
But most importantly, this all suggests that Ray is black. Discuss.
-
I always just imagined that Ray is a black man. Or cat.
-
dude, Ray is kind of a tawny color. we know this because of the old colored-in strips.
I am so confused by this.
-
Nah, this (http://www.tinjas.de/HP/TinjaCentrale/Tinja_s_Prince_von_der_Plesse_Scottish_Fold_black_schwarz_Tinja_102.jpg) doesn't look like Ray to me.
-
It's changed now, it's actually "Unusual woes".
-
It's changed now, it's actually "Unusual woes".
Noooooo!