The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jay-ell on December 22, 2006, 11:04:15 pm

Title: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 22, 2006, 11:04:15 pm
Pedro just convinced me to sign up for an Urban Dead account. 

http://www.urbandead.com/ (http://www.urbandead.com/)

Web-based Zombie MMORPG. 

Does anybody here already play?  I'm looking for a group to join, preferably of the living.  I'm in Mornington at the moment. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Drygioni on December 22, 2006, 11:46:27 pm
Judy Costello has joined.

If a TOUAMB group or whatever is set up, I'm more than game.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 23, 2006, 02:45:40 am
Judy, what suburb are you in? 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Sub_Topical on December 23, 2006, 03:56:26 am
I THINK WE COVERED THIS (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3253.msg78044.html#msg78044)
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 23, 2006, 04:27:47 am
Yes, thanks for pointing out that people who aren't me discussed something vaguely similar last month. 

Although I'm sort of surprised you didn't point this thread too. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1116.msg21187/topicseen.html#msg21187)  But then, I guess that was before your time. 

Now, for the people who might be actually interested in Urban Dead, which has not been discussed previously on this board (as I discovered when I ran a search before starting a new topic, as any responsible person would) -- shall we continue? 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: linnea on December 23, 2006, 05:00:55 am
linnea78's in. I decided to stay true to my medic roots and chose "Doctor" instead of "Firefighter".
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Choop on December 23, 2006, 07:26:33 am
Yes, thanks for pointing out that people who aren't me discussed something vaguely similar last month. 

Although I'm sort of surprised you didn't point this thread too. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1116.msg21187/topicseen.html#msg21187)  But then, I guess that was before your time. 

Now, for the people who might be actually interested in Urban Dead, which has not been discussed previously on this board (as I discovered when I ran a search before starting a new topic, as any responsible person would) -- shall we continue? 
+can for bringing the strong sack. it's man time and you got to come real.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 23, 2006, 08:43:16 am
I'm Ben Tucker in-game, although I only play sporadically these days. Recently I completed a long winding circuit around the city and returned to my starting point of Caiger Mall to find it infested with zombies. This is a disappointment (I left after Caiger had been holding out for several weeks) and if anyone's looking for an exciting time in Malton, the Caiger Mall area (Chudleyton and Darvall Heights) will offer it.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 23, 2006, 10:09:59 am
my name is "David London," as that was the best I could come up with at the time. I know that a City is not the same as a Last Name. I am a medic, because medics are awesome. I will try to get to where you are, but... how? I am in "Penny Heights."

Also, I am going to die before morning, because I ran out of action points before I got to a building. D'oh!
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 23, 2006, 10:15:33 am
Penny Heights is basically at the opposite corner of the city from Chudleyton. There is a map at http://redrum.soul-fantasy.net/map.php if you want to figure your way around.

Don't worry too much about dying, because this is a game about zombiepocalypse. Just stand up and start shambling around and looking for people to chew on until someone revives you. Many people have made a habit of going to cemetaries and reviving zombies found there, so if you see a cemetary with a large number of zombies milling about and perhaps going "mrh?" every so often, it might be such a place.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Drygioni on December 23, 2006, 12:16:07 pm
I started a new account as Elvis Waits in Penny Heights because I couldn't be bothered to wait for a revive.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 23, 2006, 05:31:19 pm
Earletown-- mr. J Roberts, Medic. I have 10 XP!

I just read a thing on the Wiki saying that medics are impossible to level up. awesome.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 23, 2006, 05:44:26 pm
Lady Elanor is dead.  Pedro is part of the Josephine's Generals, HQ'd in Wykeville, so I'm going to seek a revive there.  Let's set a meeting point and find an existing group to connect with until we build up our resources.  I nominate Marven Mall in South Blytheville (http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/South_Blythville) as a meeting point -- S. Blytheville is a human stronghold and has a number of groups working together to keep the burb safe for the living.  It's also sort of the midpoint between where everyone is right now -- I realize that it might take those who have been zombie'd a few days to get to us but I'll spend the meantime talking with the JG and trying to secure some revive kits and other supplies. 

If you haven't already, check out the Uniform Barricading Policy  (http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Uniform_Barricading_Policy)and the Sacred Ground Policy (http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Sacred_Ground_Policy), both of which are voluntary policies which many groups (including JG) support.  It's helpful to know these rules when looking for shelter or a revive in unfamiliar territory, Pedro tells me. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: wombat on December 23, 2006, 07:18:16 pm
Nooooo! Stop playing games instead of posting on the messageboard!
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 23, 2006, 09:24:24 pm
It's OK, Wommie -- We only get 50 moves a day -- which takes about ten or fifteen minutes to get through.  That's about three lines worth of text at the rate I go...

Besides, if I'm checking in here to see where my zombie pals are, I'm sure to stick around long enough to read the other posts, right? 

Or you could join us. 

come play with us, wombat...for ever and ever and ever...
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Sub_Topical on December 24, 2006, 12:48:48 am
Yes, thanks for pointing out that people who aren't me discussed something vaguely similar last month.

And those same people would get the intended humour in the repetition of theme. It's not all 'bout your harmony, lady.

Quote from: JLD
Although I'm sort of surprised you didn't point this thread too. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1116.msg21187/topicseen.html#msg21187)  But then, I guess that was before your time.

Wrong. I've been here as log as you and predated you on the d-boards. As long as we're whipping out and comparing time-dicks, that is.

Quote from: JLD
Now, for the people who might be actually interested in Urban Dead, which has not been discussed previously on this board (as I discovered when I ran a search before starting a new topic, as any responsible person would) -- shall we continue? 

Of course you should, but I'd hardly suspect you of the type to get the panties bunched over a gentle mocking of this board memberships enjoyment of nerdly pastimes. Shit, that's been a standard trope since day One.

Go play with your zobmies, Den Mother (ret.)
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: AugustWest on December 24, 2006, 01:16:36 am
Dude, don't do this. 

JLDunston join date 7/31/03

Sub-topical join date 10/31/06.

Were you somebody else before?

Shit, it's snarking on a got-dang message board.  Get over it people.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: linnea on December 24, 2006, 01:16:56 am
Whoa! I believe it was our lord Jesus who once said, "Don't be a dick."

Seriously though, I know that this is all pretend people on the intarwub, but I really hate flaming.  Have some class and decency, people.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: wombat on December 24, 2006, 02:42:58 am
Tis the season not to be a dick on the internet.  Now go eat some brains and play nice, zombies.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jough on December 24, 2006, 02:54:14 am
I think SubTop was on DB back when we all were. 

He's still a fuck*ng n00b here, though.  A n00b who doesn't know his place.

And who doesn't send care packages when he said he was going to.  I'm just saying.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Sub_Topical on December 24, 2006, 06:22:47 am
Watch it, El Guapo or that sawbuck will lose a fin.

As to the rest of ya', thanks for confiming my worst suspicions. I'll be going the vapor trail for a while, me thinks.

Happy whatever you celebrate, y'all.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 24, 2006, 06:41:23 am
I have no idea what this page of the thread is about.

I heard there is a game about zombies that may appeal to people who like cartoon cats, anyone heard about this?
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: linnea on December 24, 2006, 07:59:57 am
A word of advice to the kids at home:

Even if you're a trained medic, don't try to give yourself an IV at home, even if you're really sick and need one bad.

There was a lot of blood, I didn't get the damned hep lock on in time. I managed to pull the entire cath out and just applied direct pressure. No 500cc bag of delicious saline for me. :( Dammit, Somebody nice!

It's a good thing I'm in a barricaded building, because otherwise the scent of all that blood would've drawn the zombies in like moths to the flame. I'm going to drink a litre of water with vitamin c and electrolytes in it,and then I'm going to bed.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jough on December 24, 2006, 04:36:23 pm
I keep dying every time I'm out of move points.

Anyway, I'm Schwuan Coxswain on there.  Come revive me!
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 24, 2006, 05:21:53 pm
[some stuff]

So, maybe I overreacted.  It had been a long few days, I was tired, and I admit I probably took your "gentle chiding" too seriously.  Apparently, however, I was not the only one who viewed your comments as less than polite. 

But in the interest of promoting peace and harmony, let's call it a tragic case of miscommunication and move on. 

Now -- back to our regularly scheduled zombie hordes.  I'm still dead, but I've put in a revive request at this site (http://ud-malton.info/revive_requests.cgi).  Don't know how long I'm gong to have to wait.  Once I get back to life, though, I'll try to get some resources together and revive anyone I can. 

Let me know when you get near our meeting point. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 24, 2006, 09:11:38 pm
JL, I should be able to get down there and revive you sometime tomorrow if you're not already revived by then.

As far as the "dying every time you run out of AP" thing goes, the main advice I can give is to never sleep in the streets. Find somewhere that's Very Strongly barricaded to hide out in, ideally - any amount of barricading is better than nothing, although "heavy" and "extremely heavy" barricades can't be passed without Free Running. (For this reason, you want the Free Running skill very quickly.)

Incidentally, if you get killed, even if you don't want to play as a zombie you might as well take a few swipes at other zombies while you're waiting to be revived. You get a few experience points (although not many) and if you get killed again by someone annoyed with it, the worst that will happen is that you have to stand up again.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 25, 2006, 05:03:49 am
I've been revived, and I'm holed up in the McDonald Motel for the night.  Tomorrow I'll try to get some supplies -- I have a gun but no ammo, and we'll need first aid kits.  How's everyone else doing? 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2006, 06:29:37 am
slowly working my way south. I have a cell phone, 2 clips of ammo (plus the 6 slugs in my pistol), a pistol, a newspaper, wirecutters. two first-aid kits.

I need to start only playing once a day, and using all 50 moves at once. using a few to venture out of a building, grab some stuff, and then scamper back = no use.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Choop on December 25, 2006, 06:40:15 am
my idea of a zombie game (http://www.de-animator.com/)

plus i'm still playing cybernations, and one long-form game is plenty for me especially during the holidays
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 25, 2006, 06:50:40 am
I'm presently in the Anning Building at 19, 57 on the map. I've got a pile of first aid kits and a couple of revival syringes, plus a dead tree. On the down side, apparently during my last Big Rambling Wander I somehow lost all my guns, so I'm only packing a fire axe - if I can find a police station or a human-controlled mall I can fix that right quick.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 25, 2006, 07:16:19 pm
I'm in the Suter Blvd. PD (17, 81) in Ruddlebank -- it is well-lit and I've found a number of shotgun shells and a few pistol clips.  I also have a radio.  I'm out of turns but tomorrow I'll be seeking a hospital to pick up some first aid kits.  I got revived and healed up to full health in Wykewood -- the Josephine's Generals have been taking care of me.  I'm ready to kick some zombie butt and earn some XP.  I'm also going to start wandering up towards the mall little by little.  Y'all let me know when you start getting close.  Hopefully we'll be able to attack some zeds as a group to help us n00bs earn xp without getting as dead. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2006, 07:22:20 pm
I am in Roftwood. in some random building.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 25, 2006, 09:46:51 pm
I'm in the Suter Blvd. PD (17, 81) in Ruddlebank -- it is well-lit and I've found a number of shotgun shells and a few pistol clips.  I also have a radio.  I'm out of turns but tomorrow I'll be seeking a hospital to pick up some first aid kits.  I got revived and healed up to full health in Wykewood -- the Josephine's Generals have been taking care of me.  I'm ready to kick some zombie butt and earn some XP.  I'm also going to start wandering up towards the mall little by little.  Y'all let me know when you start getting close.  Hopefully we'll be able to attack some zeds as a group to help us n00bs earn xp without getting as dead. 

Marven Mall in South Blytheville? (Looks like the nearest to Ruddlebank.) I'm already there and have managed to load up on guns, so I suppose it's now time to bring my friends. The place looks good; strong barricades and over a hundred survivors in the NW quadrant (haven't looked around the rest yet). That's (28, 76) for anyone with a GPS unit trying to find his way there.

However, players without Free Running will not be able to get into the mall proper, and from past mall-fortress experience the entry points are not really the safest place to hang around. Malls can be great fun once you have the right skills, but I don't really recommend them as a hangout for new players.

Incidentally, my profile is at http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=153357 , so add me to your contact list if you want to be able to pick me out of a crowd. I've already added LadyEleanor via that revive-request page, but you need to either see a player in person or be given a link to their profile page to add them to your contact list.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: linnea on December 25, 2006, 10:58:58 pm
So how do you get into a fortified building? Do you have to buy the "Free Running" skill? I'm confused. I tried hitting at a building to make entry, but it just ended up spending all my action points and I didn't get anywhere.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 26, 2006, 03:44:35 am
So how do you get into a fortified building? Do you have to buy the "Free Running" skill? I'm confused. I tried hitting at a building to make entry, but it just ended up spending all my action points and I didn't get anywhere.

If the building's barricades are "very strong" or weaker, survivors can climb right over the barricades (zombies can't cross any level of barricades). When you attack barricades, there is a chance of dislodging a piece and reducing the barricades' strength slightly; there are a couple of steps of strength for each adjective, so it can take a while.

The skill Free Running lets survivors move from the interior of one building to the interior of an adjacent building (the idea is you're running over rooftops or fire escapes or something), bypassing any level of barricades involved. A Free Runner can't enter a  heavily-barricaded building from outside, but can get in from an adjacent building.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 26, 2006, 08:45:03 am
When's the zombie game where it's essentially Grand Theft Auto except you're also fighting zombies coming out?

You're running around, hittin' people with stolen cars, doin' chores for a mafia guy and... a quarter of the way through, zombies start taking over and you hit them with your car so that you can get to the other side of town and kill a stoolie?

Grand Theft Auto: Zombieopolis. Ten million dollars cash, right there. Last video game of all time, nobody ever needs another one, they just keep having sex with digital prostitutes and hitting zombies with cars until the goddamn stars go out.

Is that why? Because no one would buy other video games again and it'd be slitting the throat of the goose that laid the golden egg? That's gotta be it, only reason I can think of.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jough on December 26, 2006, 04:20:59 pm
Shit, I'd buy that game...
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 26, 2006, 08:52:06 pm
I nominate Ben-san as our leader.  He knows stuff. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 26, 2006, 09:20:20 pm
hells yes!

This is me. (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=742161)
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 27, 2006, 12:10:43 am
I am no kind of leader but I am a reasonably experienced player. I can give some advice I guess.

A fire axe (looted from a fire station) is a good thing to have but not such a good thing to have to use. I recommend always keeping it in your inventory once you have one. The same goes for a flak jacket (police station), which is no good against zombies but will help with firearms if another survivor gets Ideas. A GPS unit is helpful for navigation but can be hard to find without the right skills.

If you don't have any combat skills, your best shot at getting experience is looting a hospital for first-aid kits and healing injured people. There are hospitals near the mall, but I don't know their barricade status (I may check them out later). Combat skills blow away every other experience-getting option cold, though.

Quick, effective combat skill choices are Firearms Training followed by Pistol Training or Hand-To-Hand Combat followed by Axe Proficiency; guns deal more damage at once but require that you spend extra time finding ammo. After combat skills, the most important option is probably Free Running. Since there's a well-defended entry-point police station near Marven Mall, you will at least be able to get ammo without needing Free Running. It's still safer inside a stronghold, though.

It is more important to get to safety than to get the kill unless you have someone ready to revive you on call. Don't stick around for a kill if it leaves you unprotected.

That's all I can think of right now for low-level play.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 27, 2006, 02:52:57 am
Me. (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=741413)

I am working on gaining free running.  Currently in a hospital near the Lockettside/S. Blytheville border, just north of Thompson Mall.  The Wiki has a great map of the Lockettside barricading policy here (http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Lockettside#Barricading_Policy). 

Ben-san doesn't seem to think the mall is a good place to meet.  Any other suggestions?  It needs to be someplace accessible without free running, and preferably someplace where we can beat on some zeds and gain XP and then retreat to safety. 

So, suggestions? 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: AugustWest on December 27, 2006, 04:32:22 am
I couldn't stand being left out, so I signed up.  I'm Peter Cropes.

I'm in Crowbank.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 27, 2006, 05:04:56 am
If we meet near the mall, the place to be would be Gotch Plaza Police Department; it's an entry point so it's maintained at Very Strong barricades and it seems to be pretty well inhabited by survivors so it's not likely to unexpectedly collapse. Police Departments tend to be a good place because you can find guns there at a better rate than anywhere except military armories and malls (malls only with certain skills, though).

Edit: At a glance, St. Matthew's Hospital southeast of the mall seems to be well-inhabited too. Unfortunately, there looks to be a bit of a shortage of actual zombies to kill in the area on a cursory scouting run.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 27, 2006, 08:02:51 am
I just dropped my goddamn pistol by accident.

damn. I am in Wyke Hills.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: wombat on December 27, 2006, 12:16:36 pm
Wait a minute, in this game, zombies can turn back into live people?  That's so cheating, everyone knows that's not how it works in real life.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 27, 2006, 12:24:58 pm
Quote from: wombat
Wait a minute, in this game, zombies can turn back into live people?

Not being much of a video game person, I wonder how this happens.

Is it by killing the head zombie? Not being much of a video game person, I just have to apply vampire rules and hope for the best.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 28, 2006, 12:57:54 am
Wait a minute, in this game, zombies can turn back into live people?  That's so cheating, everyone knows that's not how it works in real life.

A zombie can be returned to life by use of a revival syringe, which is a fairly considerable investment of resources on another player's part. A survivor can be turned into a zombie in all kinds of interesting and straightforward ways - even if you're not killed by a zombie, anyone who dies in the city is infected by the virus.

Assuming no new incoming players, it is possible for the zombies to "win" by killing everyone capable of operating revival technology - even if you want to stop being a zombie, you need the help of a living NecroTech operator to be revived. On the other hand, any survivor who wishes to become a zombie will find his ticket as close as the nearest tall building.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 28, 2006, 06:27:59 pm
I am in "A Factory" on the lower left of Greentowne-- just east of the Mall in South Blytheville.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 29, 2006, 07:04:32 pm
correction: I am dead, yo. Straight-up Dead. I started getting low on AP, so I walked to a row of buildings-- they were all abandoned. I died in the road like a dog.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 30, 2006, 05:46:31 pm
I can't personally revive you, not having those skillz yet, but there is a revive point near you in Lockettside (http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Lockettside).  It's closer than the cemetary in Greentowne. 

I'm in the Gotch Plaza PD.  We've been under seige by a couple of high-level zeds over the past few days, and I've been trying to heal people, find pistol clips, and occasionally take a swipe at a zombie.  I think the threat is under control now but the building was over-barricaded for about a day earlier.  It's back down to very strong now, and the generator is running again. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on December 30, 2006, 09:37:00 pm
I can revive. Shamble on over to somewhere near-ish the mall and tell me where you are, and I'll come with the nanotechnological goodness.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 31, 2006, 07:42:04 am
I just found a shotgun! 

*does the shotgun dance*
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 31, 2006, 09:31:07 am
Quote from: jldunston
*does the shotgun dance*

What does that... look like?

Got like one of those... charts with shoe-prints that lays out the steps?
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 31, 2006, 08:33:44 pm
It's kind of like a jig, but while holding a shotgun aloft with both hands. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2007, 05:03:57 am
I got into that about a month after it kicked off. I've got six guys just standing at various parts of the map, camped out on some 5000 exp apiece. I thought we had gone over all this before - I guess not.

I look into it every couple months or so, just to make trouble for folks who don't expect to see me pop up in their block(because you disappear if you go idle for five days).
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 02, 2007, 07:13:18 pm
It appears I've made an enemy. 

Situation: Player enters the police station where I am sleeping.  Player destroys generator, takes a swipe at a few high-level players, and jets.  I add him to my contacts and code him red so I know him as a possible PKer should I encounter him again. 

When I log back in the next day, I go over to a nearby hospital to pick up some FAKs, and Player is there with two others.  I am almost out of AP so I warn them that Player destroyed a generator at the PD and then go back to my safehouse. 

Today, Player comes back to the PD, attacks me once, and leaves a semi-threatening, poorly spelled message.  Then he jets again. 

So, my question is, who's the jerk?  Me or him?  Did I violate some sort of unspoken code or is he just pissed that I blew his cover before he could destroy the hospital's generator?  (I went back over and the hospital is fine.)  I feel like this guy is after me now but I guess he could have killed me in my sleep if he really wanted to. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 02, 2007, 08:26:25 pm
man. zombie-spy, straight up.

I have too many people, now. And they're limiting how many moves I can make with all of them combined... or something. A bunch of them are dead, so I might just leave them dead forever and focus on the ones who are doing better-- ie: soldiers.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 02, 2007, 09:07:35 pm
Yeah, you're limited in the number of hits you can make on the main server per day.  I have an alt named HawkeyePearce in Yagoton, but I'm focusing on LE.  She's only 28 points away from gaining free running. 

Edit: Eleanor got Free Running this morning.  She's in Marven Mall, looting. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 03, 2007, 10:10:27 pm
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3791/confirmzt7.jpg

does the game look like that to y'all? Because... it doesn't to me. Huh.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jough on January 04, 2007, 01:32:44 am
Yeah, mine doesn't look like that either, inev.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 04, 2007, 02:48:18 am
Hm. 

I showed that screenshot to Pedro and he tells me there's a Firefox plugin that will do that, and it's really useful. 

Here's the link: http://udtoolbar.mozdev.org/ (http://udtoolbar.mozdev.org/)

I think I'ma try that. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jough on January 04, 2007, 04:40:26 am
Not compatible with FireFox 2.0.0.1.

Ah well.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 04, 2007, 06:13:53 am
damn.

so. let's say that I have wayyyy too many alternates, because I kept getting pissed off when they died and just making new guys. And I have to pick between them, to whittle it down to 2.

do I go with the guy with tons of ammo, a shotgun, and an extra pistol... or do I go for the guy who is completely free of ammo, but has 50 xp? I am keeping one of my medics, I just have to pick which one.


answer: I am now playing only with J Roberts (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=742161) and Silke Sen (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=746221) (I am sorry, it is the name of a real person. She interviewed me at Wash U, and was quite pretty. I found her business card when I was cleaning some stuff up in my room, and liked the name.) Silke is a soldier, J is a medic. Silke has two pistols and a shotgun, and is basically kicking ass+taking names. Should I get free running first, or some further development of Shooting-type thing?
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 04, 2007, 04:52:22 pm
When I talked to Pedro, who is nearly as high-level as Ben-San, he suggested getting Free Running first and combat skills second because free running allows you access to lots of weapons.  Good combat skills aren't worth much if you can't get ammo. 

I have limited myself to one main char. and one alt. because I am easily obsessed and don't want to spend my days strung out on the couch playing UD while my kid eats skittles in his high chair, naked except for a dishtowel that serves as a makeshift diaper. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on January 04, 2007, 09:15:51 pm
The priority order really depends on your situation. I had the good luck to find myself early on in the vicinity of Crossman Grove Police Department, which at the time was well-defended with a newbie-friendly barricading policy and a healthy local zombie population, so I had access to ammo without the need for Free Running. Being military meant I could advance those skills quickly, and nothing rakes in XP like well-supplied combat skills.

Sadly, two different factions decided to declare themselves the kings of CGPD independently, so I eventually cleared out. Anyway, the point is that if you can get access to ammo without Free Running it can be very worthwhile (particularly for military) to pump up your combat skills first.

Oh, and a footnote for people playing multiple alts: don't play them in the same part of town. More than one active alt from the same IP in the same part of town will apply an invisible penalty to all their attacks.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 05, 2007, 07:05:57 pm
Free Running is basically always the first skill to get. It's so easy to die if you don't. However, in this game it doesn't really matter if you die, so . . .
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2007, 02:21:02 am
You meet the strangest people in Malton.  I just ran into Mister Queue.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: wombat on January 06, 2007, 02:24:59 am
Did you eat his brains?
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2007, 02:59:19 am
Did you eat his brains?


There are some things that are too sick and twisted even for zombies to eat.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: V-Adore on January 06, 2007, 04:08:23 am
Did you at least say "hi! We miss you, you big lug!"?

Or... the zombie equivalent?
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: linnea on January 06, 2007, 04:08:44 am
You meet the strangest people in Malton.  I just ran into Mister Queue.

Whoa! Did you tell him that we ain't miss him at all?
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2007, 04:56:27 am
Did you at least say "hi! We miss you, you big lug!"?

Or... the zombie equivalent?

Quote from: linnea
Whoa! Did you tell him that we ain't miss him at all?

Uh, yes I did.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: linnea on January 06, 2007, 06:01:10 am
Uh, yes I did.

Schweet. Just making sure that q doesn't think we all sit here and, like, pine after him or something.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2007, 06:13:19 am
Schweet. Just making sure that q doesn't think we all sit here and, like, pine after him or something.

You get a can for listening to Gil Evans and Miles Davis.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: linnea on January 06, 2007, 11:45:35 pm
You get a can for listening to Gil Evans and Miles Davis.

Gil Evans and Miles Davis created music together that was so unbelievably good it could make you weep. I fuck*ng love that album so much. A can to you, good sir, for loving le jazz hot.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2007, 12:04:24 am
You get a can for listening to Gil Evans and Miles Davis.
A can to you, good sir, for loving le jazz hot.
Does that make this a zero-can game?
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 07, 2007, 10:32:43 pm
So, I'm bumping against the server-hit limit.  I've got 2 characters and Pedro doesn't play from our home computer.  My alt is dead (again) because I ran out of server hits before I ran out of AP.  What the heck? 

If this keeps up, I might have to donate $5.  (I might anyway, but I might do it sooner rather than later.)  But has anyone else run into this?  I checked the FAQ, but I don't use AOL or anything -- I have Roadrunner broadband. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Drygioni on January 08, 2007, 12:14:02 am
JL and other veterans: What do you recommend for this. I am in Mornington (as Terry Chambers) Police Department. I have spent five days doing nothing but collecting ammo, because the building is currently heavily barricaded and if I leave I cannot get back in.

Should I just wait it out? I really don't want to die, but I can't get free running until I go out there and kill zombies.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2007, 12:59:37 am
it has worked for me to leave my safe-house, as long as I always leave 10 AP to find a new place that is barricaded to VS.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2007, 02:11:15 am
I wouldn't consider myself a "Veteran," but Pedro has given me a lot of tips.  Both my characters are dead right now because although I had plenty of AP I didn't have enough server hits left to get to where I was trying to go.  (grumble.)  But, here's what I usually do, and it works most of the time:

Go to the wiki page for the suburb you're in (in this case, click here (http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Mornington#Info)) and see if there's a posted barricade plan.  Some burbs have groups that maintain barricade conditions to allow access to important resource buildings, especially for those without free running, and they usually also maintain revive points (usually in cemetaries).  Mornington isn't a great place to be without free running but there are some buildings that are (in theory at least) kept to VSB and therefore accessable as entry points.  If you're at Ashenden Way PD (10,62) I think the closest ones are:

Warehouse (10,60)
Cooksley Bank (12,61)
Ripley Motel (10,66)
Philips Bank (19,62)

And if you're at Merewether Rd. PD (12,69) try heading south into Wykewood (http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Talk:Wykewood#Barricade_Plan).  Pedro is part of the Josephine's Generals, they keep the suburb cleaned up pretty well and they stick to the UBP pretty rigorously.  You ought to be able to get into the Massey Dr. Railway Station (13,70). 

I wonder if Wiki hits count against your daily limit?  That could explain my current predicament...
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2007, 04:07:35 am
Judy-- I have a guy in Mornington. J Roberts, (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=742161) a Medic. I'm in Mainstone Auto Repair. He is, currently, my secondary guy.

edit: he has now moved just north, to St Maximillian's Hospital. It is on the very very southern edge of Reganbank, which is just north of Mornington.

I am currently debating whether to get basic firearm training or Diagnosis (he's a medic). Basic firearm training could help him get XP more easily, and then I could get Diagnosis more quickly (since it costs 150 XP)... on the other hand, Diagnosis would help him find people who needed healing. Hm.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2007, 09:50:55 pm
Healing people gets you XP, too.  It depends how you want to earn your points, I guess. 

LadyEleanor is in Wykewood (just south of Mornington).  Her charming FranklinD revived her, so she's back among the living and holed up in a police station looting for ammo. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2007, 10:09:19 pm
yes-- the issue is that without Diagnosis, I end up wasting a lot of AP trying to heal people who don't need it.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2007, 10:19:57 pm
Right, what I'm saying is that if you get diagnosis, you can tell when people need healing and you'll be able to get your xp from healing without wasting AP.  Or you could get basic firearms training and blow the crap out of every zombie you see.  I think we're saying the same thing; just do the math and figure out which will get you the most XP per AP used. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2007, 10:36:09 pm
sounds good. The only problem is that I'm impatient, and Diagnosis takes twice as much XP as Firearms Training does.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: innes on January 08, 2007, 11:57:33 pm
What do you recommend for this. I am in Mornington (as Terry Chambers) Police Department. I have spent five days doing nothing but collecting ammo, because the building is currently heavily barricaded and if I leave I cannot get back in.

Buy a big sponge cake and eat the whole thing in a one'er.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on January 09, 2007, 05:55:37 am
inev, since you're playing a military character I highly recommend taking advantage of the discounts ASAP. With good weapon skills you will have enough XP to be a crazy-awesome medic very soon.

As a civilian or scientist, Diagnosis is a very good XP-gaining option. As a military character, not so much so.
Title: Updates
Post by: Pedro Picasso on January 10, 2007, 09:58:41 pm
So how's everyone doing?  Are you enjoying the game?  Did you get bored?

Currently, I'm in a factory in Ruddlebank stocking up on generators and fuel cans.  I'm working on "Light up the Wyke!", an effort to put a working generator in every building of Wykewood.  Mostly this will involve searching factories for generators and fuel cans and convincing others in my group, Josephine's Generals, to do the same.  Once you hit level 41 (every skill but brain rot), you have to kind of make up your own silly games to keep it fun.  It becomes a game of how many people can you get doing the same thing at the same time.

On that front, I think Acheheads are a sufficiently dedicated group to do some really wacky things in unison.  It would be fun to spray paint dialogue from strips on every block of a neighborhood.  Stuff like that.  Once we have enough people at a high enough level to take care of themselves, we might consider forging our own group.  Meanwhile, I really recommend Wykewood as a safe neighborhood, and Josephine's Generals as a bang up group of warm bodies.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on January 10, 2007, 10:01:48 pm
Once I scrounged up a pile of spray cans and tagged up an entire neighborhood with directions like "go three blocks north" or "go one block east" or whatnot. They didn't actually lead anywhere although anyone who followed them would have wandered around the neighborhood indefinitely.

Also fun: getting a posse to fill their inventories with flareguns before 4th of July/Guy Fawkes Day/New Year's and then run around setting them off in every block of your chosen area.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Drygioni on January 10, 2007, 10:14:33 pm
I'm doing fine! I've settled on Terry Chambers as my character. I know this for a fact because I did not start a new character when he died.

I'm having some fun as a Zombie, but look forward to being revived. I can almost get Free Running.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 10, 2007, 11:09:24 pm
I have two characters, both at level 2. It is telling me that I used up all 160 hits for the day, despite only using about 20-30 AP each since I woke up. And I wasn't playing last night. Huh.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2007, 01:51:02 am
I have two characters, both at level 2. It is telling me that I used up all 160 hits for the day, despite only using about 20-30 AP each since I woke up. And I wasn't playing last night. Huh.

Many things use up hits without using AP. Also, if other folks log in on your computer or through your connection, that can hose you. Lastly, there is some arcane deal where you may not be getting a unique IP address or something like that, but I know basically nothing about that stuff.

If you see Nabubrush wandering around Malton, say hi. (Also Tom Paine, Andrew Pelf Jr, Plug, Crelm, or Crunk Garble.)
Title: Re: Updates
Post by: AugustWest on January 11, 2007, 04:59:17 am
So how's everyone doing?  Are you enjoying the game?  Did you get bored?

Currently, I'm in a factory in Ruddlebank stocking up on generators and fuel cans.  I'm working on "Light up the Wyke!", an effort to put a working generator in every building of Wykewood.  Mostly this will involve searching factories for generators and fuel cans and convincing others in my group, Josephine's Generals, to do the same.  Once you hit level 41 (every skill but brain rot), you have to kind of make up your own silly games to keep it fun.  It becomes a game of how many people can you get doing the same thing at the same time.

On that front, I think Acheheads are a sufficiently dedicated group to do some really wacky things in unison.  It would be fun to spray paint dialogue from strips on every block of a neighborhood.  Stuff like that.  Once we have enough people at a high enough level to take care of themselves, we might consider forging our own group.  Meanwhile, I really recommend Wykewood as a safe neighborhood, and Josephine's Generals as a bang up group of warm bodies.

Sounds like a plan.  I (Peter Cropes) am headed your way.

Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 11, 2007, 07:17:22 pm
LadyEleanor is already in Wykewood, trying to help save a police department under siege.  She just got advanced pistol training, and is ready to kick some ass. 
Title: Re: Updates
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2007, 01:11:23 am
Sounds like a plan.  I (Peter Cropes) am headed your way.



OK, I'm in Wykewood.

Now what?
Title: Re: Updates
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2007, 02:12:02 am
OK, I'm in Wykewood.

Now what?

It might not be a bad idea to have everyone post links to their profile(s) and everyone can add them to their contact list.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 13, 2007, 02:22:53 am
As soon as I'm able to gain enough XP (should be another day or so) I'm going to get the construction skill -- then we can get ourselves a clubhouse, no zeds allowed. 

After that, well, it's anyone's guess. 

PS: I posted a link to my profile in a previous message, but here it is again (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=741413).  It is a good idea to have people you know in your contacts so you can recognize them in a crowd or a pile of dead bodies. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2007, 02:41:11 am
Nabubrush. (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=38196)
Crelm. (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=38298)
Plug. (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=38595)
Crunk Garble. (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=41685)
Tom Paine. (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=80055)
Andrew Pelf Jr. (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=81097)

My little band - all founding members of the Pink Triangle Defense Force.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jough on January 13, 2007, 04:50:15 am
Some douchebag killed me again.  WHY?

http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=742623
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2007, 05:30:25 am
I kill zombies whenever I can.  It keeps my fire ax from getting rusty.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jough on January 13, 2007, 06:17:01 am
Yeah, but I wasn't a zombie at the time... and neither was the dude who MURDERED me for no reason.

WTF?
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 13, 2007, 06:19:38 am
J Roberts (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=742161) is dead, and is somewhere in... I think Mornington?

Silke Sen (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=746221) is on her way to Wykewood.
Update, as of 30 seconds later: She is about to be dead, because I couldn't find a place that wasn't Extremely Heavily barricaded.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2007, 06:25:06 am
Yeah, but I wasn't a zombie at the time... and neither was the dude who MURDERED me for no reason.

WTF?

Don't be surprised by PKing. After you have 41 levels and 5000 exp, there isn't much else to do.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Drygioni on January 13, 2007, 12:03:37 pm
A'ight, I'm on my why to Wykewood as Terry Chambers. I have Free Running so should hopefully not die on the way.

http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=750628 (http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=750628)
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: coldfrog on January 13, 2007, 07:16:52 pm
Wow, I haven't played a game like this in ages!  Hooray!  If anyone is interested, I am Irving Snowden.  Dare you choose to recognize the reference? (please say yes)
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on January 13, 2007, 08:12:10 pm
Made my way to Wykewood and Eleanor's present location with a pile of loaded guns. I'll proceed to properly unload them once my AP recover.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 13, 2007, 08:24:59 pm
one of my two is in Wykewood-- and will be there Alive once he is revived.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Drygioni on January 13, 2007, 08:33:01 pm
Where is our meeting place going to be? I vote a pub of some sort, but I'm not picky.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 14, 2007, 08:41:47 pm
one of my two is in Wykewood-- and will be there Alive once he is revived.

I totally got PKd by some jerk, who is now on my shit list.  (A level 9 military asshole gunned me down in an auto repair shop, the bastard.)  I'm awaiting a revive in the Wykewood cemetary, and I just recognized J. Roberts in the pile of dead bodies.  I should be up and running by morning. 

I'm in talks with the JoGen (the group that basically runs Wykewood) to see if we can get an exception to the Uniform Barricading Policy to set up camp in a pub.  I'll let you know when the location is confirmed.  I'm RL friends with some of the JoGens and Pedro has agreed to plead on our behalf as well.  He' thinks they'll be amenable as long as we're willing to help out around Wykewood -- maintain barricades, defend the hospitals, etc. 

Ben (and anyone else looking for XP), if you're looking for a place to unload that ammo, the Lavington Crescent PD has been having trouble lately, and I noticed a crowd of zeds around Adalbert General Hospital this afternoon on my way to the revive point. 

That's all the news so far.  I'll let you know when I've got a clubhouse for us. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 14, 2007, 11:26:00 pm
Silke Sen is in Polwhiele Way Fire Station in Greentown, on the verge of dying from infection. WTF am I supposed to do? She has 7 HP left. And no FAKs.

do we lack a Medic or a Private more? I need to pick which of my two people should hang around with y'all... considering they can't both do it without causing issues.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Ben-San on January 15, 2007, 03:45:23 am
Lavington Crescent was clear when I popped in, but the 'cades were down to light so I reinforced them up to XHeavy.

I have some syringes if you still need revival. Just give me the cemetary's coordinates.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 15, 2007, 05:28:10 am
I just joined. What am I supposed to be doing here?

My name is MOTHERFUHKER.

Skills Tree

You currently have 8 Experience Points to spend, MOTHERFUHCKER.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 17, 2007, 05:53:51 am
Talks with the JoGen are going well.  They welcome us with open arms, and I encourage you to check out their forum here: http://jgenerals.proboards102.com/ (http://jgenerals.proboards102.com/)

I'm thinking we probably need a more secure place to discuss our plans...you never know where a zombie spy will show up in metagame.  Let me see if Jough will let me set something up in the Hidden Hills. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on January 17, 2007, 03:17:53 pm
New hidden forum.  Everyone who has posted a character name has been given access.  Let me know if you can't see it or if you've just joined and want in. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2007, 07:01:06 pm
ZOMBIE THREAD!  RUN!

I wanted to bring this back in because I got an email from Max Grivas of the Josephine's Generals the other day.  They miss us.  Is anyone still playing?  Are any of the new folks around here interested in joining up?  I'm fine with being a rogue zombie hunter, but I figure if you guys are still hanging around somewhere we may as well hang around together. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: mavies on October 09, 2007, 09:50:06 pm
I'll give it a shot.. played this ages and ages ago but never really got into it. So I got a new policeguy, rather creatively named mavies, ready to kick some butts! Or maybe not.. I got the whole too many server hits thing. I'll look into this in the morning..
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 09, 2007, 10:27:47 pm
Neat, give us your profile ID# (the number string at the end of your profile's URL) and I'll add you so you can see the hidden forum. 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: smick on October 09, 2007, 10:50:56 pm
New hidden forum.  Everyone who has posted a character name has been given access.  Let me know if you can't see it or if you've just joined and want in. 

Wait... is this the forum with all the sexy talk?!
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 09, 2007, 11:19:14 pm
Call me old-fashioned but I'd imagine that sexy talk and shootin' zombies are in different places.

Just me, just old-fashioned me.
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2007, 02:19:28 am
Wait... is this the forum with all the sexy talk?!

Isn't that...every forum? 
Title: Re: Urban Dead Thread
Post by: jay-ell on April 06, 2011, 01:31:28 pm
I just revived LadyEleanor after a three-year hiatus. Is anyone else still around?