The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on December 25, 2006, 10:40:26 am
-
RIP James Brown. A great musician, who is given credit for a lot of big things that aren't quite true, but are pretty true (disco rap etc). Probably one of the most energetic live shows ever, and certainly one of our cultures most recognizable musicians. Also, a player in civil rights, arguably our countries greatest issue/problem/debate, etc. He had is flaws, but was a showman to the end; he upstaged Jesus on his birthday, at least in my mind.
Sad news. http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/25/james.brown.obit.ap/index.html
-
wow, I thought this was going to be something depressing that you were going to say that would ruin my whole goddamn day.
I was kind of right, but not in the way I expected. I kind of thought my dog was dead this morning, too. He wasn't. James Brown... what a guy.
-
That's a shitty Christmas present.
/me pours a forty on the sidewalk
-
RIP Godfather.
-
I betcha St. Pete asks him for an autograph before he sends him back to Purgatory.
-
Damn, it's the end of an era. I will keep my wifebeater comments to myself.
-
I never thought it could happen.
-
Yeah, James Brown is pretty much at the top of the "celebrities you didn't think of as mortal" list. That he's dead and Abe Vigoda (the top of the "celebrities you could swear were dead" list, now that Bob Hope kicked it) is still alive just boggles the mind.
Sorry, Mr. Vigoda. I don't have anything against you, and I'm glad you're alive, just... y'know.
-
I didn't feel good hearing this news.
And I knew that I wouldn't.
-
I woke up at 3 AM Christmas Day and this is what CNN told me.
It isn't cool. George Clinton is now the only living supplier of hip hop beats. The gene pool will soon stagnate until all records become re-mixes of Funky Drummer or Flashlight*.
*This may already have happened.
While it is true that the man couldn't look in the mirror without involving the police (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07302004), he was also one of the few figures who shook us out of the fifties and gave us new forms to groove to.
Mr. Godfather sir, we'll miss you and your teeth.
-
George Clinton is now the only living supplier of hip hop beats.
Soon all they will have left are Steely Dan songs and television theme songs.
Hundreds will sample the ALF theme, alone.
-
And now, James Brown is hanging out with Gerald Ford.
I read an item in a JB obit about the Rolling Stones being afraid to take the stage after Brown during a big show in the mid-60's. That is some bad-ass shit right there, rocking so freakin' hard that Jagger and Richards know they can't compete.
-
Yeah, there was a black-and-white thing called the TAMI Show, where James Brown went out and incinerated the place. The Rolling Stones came on afterwards and Mick Jagger did his top-dollar - and slightly pathetic - best to imitate Mr. Brown's moves. YouTube seems to have removed any trace, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere.
-
That is pretty amazing. The Stones thing.
I wonder who the third will be? That is, famous people die in threes (obviously not a scientific law), who will be the third?
I saw some shot of the NYSE doing a moment of silence for Ford, it was pretty screwed up. Does everyone there have a pack of gum in their mouths at all times?
Also, I wonder if old celebrities ever get real worried when two other famous people die. Like, is Bob Dylan really worried right now?
-
At this point, I can confidently state that I feel better than James Brown.
-
I know you'll all think I'm crazy, but I swear to god this is the third time I've been told James Brown has died over the past year and a half. I even have a memory of being sad about it, and reading about it here about a year ago. And I swear I posted something about getting "up on my good foot" in that thread. I even had to search the board to make sure I was wrong. Then I swear I heard about it again on the radio several months later and being all "WTF? I thought he died a while ago?" I can't explain it. I have some sort of deja vu that applies only to the death of James Brown. When I heard on the radio a couple days ago that he had died, my reaction was "What? Again?!" I can only hypothesize that in about 5-6 months I will again be told that James Brown has died.
It's confusing. Deja groove.
-
My brother was sure he was dead too. I figure I probably would have been but for seeing him on TV a couple of months ago. Not to say he won't again...
-
this is the third time I've been told James Brown has died over the past year and a half.
I have a vivid memory of Nelson Mandela dying in prison and the whole world mourning him and South Africa being catalyzed to change by his memory... all, like, ten-fifteen years ago, when I was a kid. Not a dream, like, weeks of these events.
It has always weirded me out that I have that memory. Was I just way out here or... did timelines fold or... what?
-
Looks like the third famous guy to go will be Sadaam.
Also, Mike Tyson got arrested for cocaine possession.