The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on September 24, 2003, 02:55:27 pm

Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: side_show on September 24, 2003, 02:55:27 pm
For those of use who are feeling the cold heavy weight of fall, let's talk about music for rainy days.

This morning it was raining and cold, so I slipped in the Smiths "Strangeways Here We Come" and waited for the bus.  The music actually seemed too upbeat for the grouchy soggy weather.  Thankfully it included "Unhappy Birthday" and it is my b-day on Saturday.

For days like this I like Bob Dylan, for more stormy days Tool is good, and went it's so bad I don't want to go out at all a good soak in the tub with a little Molly Johnson is great.

Anyone else?
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on September 24, 2003, 03:52:50 pm
The Raincoats.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: slink on September 24, 2003, 04:26:54 pm
I find it difficult to work out what I'd listen to on a day that's all rain and grey.
Some days it'd be something warm and soothy, since I quite like being in, in the warm on a grey, dark day.
But if I was feeling down Tom Waits probably.
But as I say, I just kind of, put music on, I don't really think about what mood I'm in, I just seem to pick what's right.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: Limmo on September 24, 2003, 04:55:44 pm
Blue by Joni Mitchell.

Or Mob Rules by Sabbath.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: CortJstr on September 24, 2003, 05:02:12 pm
I tend to go the other way. Like when I'm driving home from work and it's a raining and depressing (see also: this entire summer) I like to pop in a fast throwdown kind of CD like Fidel - Fidel.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: side_show on September 24, 2003, 06:24:59 pm
Quote from: "slink"
But if I was feeling down Tom Waits probably.


I saw an INSANE musical by Tom Waits at the Fringe Festival a couple years ago.  I don't remember it's name right now though, but it envolved some crazy imagery like a dead bride being dragged around by her foot by the groom in full wedding gear.  It totally blew my mind.  I don't own anything by Tom Waits - I'm always embarrased to buy anything that says "best of," and I really don't know where to start.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: slink on September 24, 2003, 06:31:57 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "slink"
But if I was feeling down Tom Waits probably.


I saw an INSANE musical by Tom Waits at the Fringe Festival a couple years ago.  I don't remember it's name right now though, but it envolved some crazy imagery like a dead bride being dragged around by her foot by the groom in full wedding gear.  It totally blew my mind.  I don't own anything by Tom Waits - I'm always embarrased to buy anything that says "best of," and I really don't know where to start.


The musical will have been Alice - the story of the man. The album is avilable (and I have it).
I'd recommend buying Nighthawks at the Diner or Mule Variations first. Nighthawks is an improv jazz night he did early on and is superb!
Mule Variations is more like his usual style, jazz but with lots extra thrown in.
My favourites are the above, Alice and Bone Machine.
Although i still have to get Blood Money which was the album unrelated to Alice that was kind of his accompanying album to it, in that it was at the same time and thus it goes well with it.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on September 24, 2003, 06:38:14 pm
Personally, I'd go with Frank's Wild Years, but 'sall a matter of taste.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: Limmo on September 24, 2003, 07:00:36 pm
Rain Dogs, baby!  It's a perfect introduction to the rain-soaked carny-barker period of his career.  The first half of the album is just non-stop brilliance.  

Dammit, now I have to go put it on!  And it's sunny here in Los Angeles!
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: side_show on September 24, 2003, 08:56:19 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
For some reason The Doors - particularly Strange Days - really seems to fit rainy ass fall weather.


Yes - the Doors work for me when I want to stay in and reaquaint myself with the old wapagonia.


As for Mule Variations, Nighthawks at the Diner, and Frank's Wild Years I'll have to take a look.  Thanks!
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: jough on September 24, 2003, 09:46:09 pm
Ditto on both Frank's Wild Years and Rain Dogs.  I mean, Gun Street Girl will keep me going for a long time.

Chris Isaak "Heart Shaped World" is a good rainy day album.

Morphine "Cure for Pain" is good for a rainy night in the city.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: V-Adore on September 24, 2003, 10:35:19 pm
Yesterday it rained like hell here, and for some reason I fixated on "Saturn Return." For all the ass that Reveal consistently fails to kick (see previous thread and other ranting on this board), this one's a rainy-day keeper.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: slink on September 24, 2003, 11:42:42 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Ditto on both Frank's Wild Years and Rain Dogs.  I mean, Gun Street Girl will keep me going for a long time.

Chris Isaak "Heart Shaped World" is a good rainy day album.

Morphine "Cure for Pain" is good for a rainy night in the city.


Seconding Cure for Pain big time! Superb album.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 24, 2003, 11:50:21 pm
Reading this thread makes me want to buy albums by people I never heard of. That's what I like most about trying to keep up with the cool people posting on this thread.

My tastes probably seem more pedestrian in nature but for rainy days or rainy moods I usually like to put on Ricky Lee Jones. Also there is a Chuck Mangione album called "Children of Sanchez" that complements the blue tones.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: jough on September 25, 2003, 03:21:49 am
I don't know who Ricky Lee Jones is or what he or she does.

Is this a good thing?

My tastes are what they are.  I like some obscure stuff, but not because it's obscure or "indie."  Basically I like music that doesn't suck.

And of course I do tend to listen to a disproportionate amount of 80s New Wave too.

We're gonna prove we're adults now. We're not a punk rock band, we're a NEW WAVE band.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: AugustWest on September 25, 2003, 03:41:07 am
My goodness, you don't know Ricky Lee Jones?  She's a wonderful singer.  Go out and get her first album right now.  Go on.  Now.

Ever hear the song "Chuck E's in Love"?  That's her.  Or "Danny's All-Star Joint"?  

"Last Chance Texaco" is one of the coolest songs evar!
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: andalucia on September 25, 2003, 05:17:40 am
Sonic Youth, Murray Street

Maybe I'm just hallucinating that that's a good rainy-day album because it contains a song with rain in the title.  Hm....well... it's part of their "new york trilogy", so it has a "city" feel to it, to momentarily sound like extra-dorky, and it always makes me think of rain.

And of tripping out.  That's another story (another thread?) altogether though.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: jough on September 25, 2003, 05:42:49 am
I have never heard of any of those Ricky Lee Jones songs.  Is she any relation to Tommy Lee Jones, David Lee Roth, Jamie Leigh Curtis, F. Lee Bailey, or John Lee Hooker?

And I don't know if any Sonic Youth album makes for a good rainy day album, but the compilation "World of Morrissey" does - just that first track alone just cries for rain.

I actually made an MD mix for "rainy day" songs a while back.  I can't remember what was on it for sure except for Chris Isaak's "Blue Spanish Sky," Counting Crows "Rain King," Peter Gabriel's "Red Rain," and of course the Doors "Riders on the Storm".

I also made a sunny day songs album - Katrina and the Waves "Walking on Sunshine," Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go," Beatles "Good Day Sunshine" and "Good Morning," Beach Boys "I Get Around" and "Good Vibrations," Pixies "Alex Eiffel" (don't ask why I associate that song with gorgeous sunny days), and Talking Heads "Nothing but Flowers."
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: FeeReep on September 25, 2003, 05:48:13 am
It is raining here tonight and I am listening to Beck's Mutations and it is working out rather nicely.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: side_show on September 25, 2003, 02:23:49 pm
Quote from: "jough"
And of course I do tend to listen to a disproportionate amount of 80s New Wave too.

We're gonna prove we're adults now. We're not a punk rock band, we're a NEW WAVE band.


I'll turn 25 on Sat. so I ain't all that old yet, but here we go with sounding old: those punk rock bands the young'uns are listening to these days are certainly not punk - not punk like the Sex Pistols anyway - just pop with some punk looking wrapping paper.

And as for 80's New Wave, come on!! Who doesn't love" 88 lines about 44" women or "the Kid's in America." One of my favorite memories is my boss blasting new wave music at the bookstore while we all danced around and annoyed the comicbook geeks.

Also, Sonic Youth is totally great for the rain - for some reason feedback and rain go together.

And I'd say Radiohead in general is perfect for the rain,  but I don't own any of their stuff either
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: Limmo on September 25, 2003, 05:11:30 pm
God, I love this thread.

Dittos all around for "saturn return," "alex eiffel" and cure for pain.  

Rickie Lee Jones?  I listened quite a bit to The Magazine when it came out, though it might have a bit of Eighties damage to it in retrospect.  If she's related to Tommy Lee Jones, the cover of that album sure doesn't show it.
Maybe she had a better dermatologist.

I was listening to "88 lines about 44 women" yesterday, oddly enough.  I have it on a mix CD, sandwiched between M's "pop muzik" and Gary Numan's "cars."  Tanya Turkish liked to fuck while wearing leather biker boots!
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: slink on September 25, 2003, 05:23:46 pm
Quote from: "side_show"

 those punk rock bands the young'uns are listening to these days are certainly not punk - not punk like the Sex Pistols anyway - just pop with some punk looking wrapping paper.


And not even punk like the great coastal punk of the 70's and 80's. Mainly the 80's in terms of Hüsker Du or Fugazi et al.
Those in my opinion were better than most of the UK punk, although I do like the Buzzcockz, The Damned (in places, Captain Sensible was a twat)... Oh, and not forgetting of course the Dead Kennedys (not UK I know, but I forgot them in the US listette.

Another good rainy day one is Chopin - one in particular though I cn't remember it's name... But it's essentially him doing a rain storm. I'll find out the title and amend this!
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: sjlimmer on September 25, 2003, 06:36:41 pm
Since I live in Seattle, most of the music I listen to should (in theory) be rainy day music.  But when I'm going for that particular rainy day mood, I tend to gravitate towards:

1) the 4AD part of my collection (Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Hope Blister...)

2) Mazzy Star "So Tonight That I Might See" or "She Hangs Brightly", My Bloody Valentine "Loveless", Lush "Split"...

3) some of the more ambient-leaning electronic music I own, like The KLF "Chill Out", The Orb "Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld", Loop Guru "Amrita", Moby "Ambient", Voodoo Child "End of Everything", Perfume Tree "Feeler"...

Or, pretty much anything else.

Quote from: "jough"

We're gonna prove we're adults now. We're not a punk rock band, we're a NEW WAVE band.


I'm not sure that I'd count Dead Kennedys as rainy day music, per se.  Actually, "Pull My Strings" isn't exactly a favorite of mine (I have a weak spot for the kind of New Wave power-pop they were making fun of, even if "My Sharona" was, is, and always will be horribly overplayed)

I spent way too much time on this post, and have re-affirmed to myself that I need to get a life.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: side_show on September 25, 2003, 06:36:48 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
I was listening to "88 lines about 44 women" yesterday, oddly enough.  I have it on a mix CD, sandwiched between M's "pop muzik" and Gary Numan's "cars."  Tanya Turkish liked to fuck while wearing leather biker boots!


This is either a strange conicidence or your refering to the Time Life New Wave series which is where I would hear these three tunes together.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: jough on September 25, 2003, 09:29:12 pm
I have an equal affection for both the Dead Kennedys and Culture Club.

Although I suppose that's not really true, since I own all of the DK albums but the only CC songs that I have are on a few compilations.

But still, I love the one-hit wonders of the late 70s and early-to-mid 80s.

I think they remind me of my squandered youth.
Title: long-winded response
Post by: Limmo on September 25, 2003, 10:05:49 pm
Strange coincidence?  Maybe.  

Not, however, a Time-Life CD.  I was running errands around Santa Monica listening to a CD I burned of a MusicMatch playlist that I threw together one morning.  It was so weird that I felt like it deserved a CD.

Playlist: "southern can with the lid off"
Blind Willie McTell: Southern Can Is Mine
Elmore James: Done Somebody Wrong
White Stripes ( w/Redd Kross guy): Hotel Yorba
Lucas: Lucas with the Lid Off
Busta Rhymes: Make It Clap
Fluke: Atom Bomb
De La Soul: Me Myself and I
Mandrill: Fencewalk
Belfegore: All That I Wanted
Stewart Copeland & Stan Ridgway: Don't Box Me In
Cheap Trick: He's A Whore
Joan Jett & Paul Westerberg: Backlash
INXS: Beautiful Girl
Danny Wilson: Mary's Prayer
M: Pop Muzik
Nails: 88 Lines About 44 Women
Gary Numan: Cars
Dirty Vegas: Days Gone By
Nikka Costa: Like a Feather

Jesus Christ, now I'm posting playlists on the net.

Alright, coffee break's over, back on my head.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: andalucia on September 25, 2003, 11:48:35 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I have an equal affection for both the Dead Kennedys and Culture Club.


Mad props for the discerning taste here.... excuse me while I make a playlist that encompasses both Time (Clock of the Heart) and Kill the Poor.  Plus Wasted Life by the Stiff Little Fingers thanks to your "squandered youth" line.


Ahhhhh.
Title: Rainy Day Music...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2003, 06:04:38 am
I can't recommend Mule Variations enough.  It's Epic.

~Paul