The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on December 31, 2006, 07:06:03 am

Title: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: linnea on December 31, 2006, 07:06:03 am
I guess that there's no New Year's Resolution thread yet. I'm on call and just hanging out at home. Everyone else is probably out partying. Whoo! I'll be there when someone needs an ambulance.

My New Years Resolutions:


How about the rest of y'all? It feels a little weird to come up with a list. However, I looked up the lyrics to Auld Lang Syne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne) online so that I can sing it loud and proud tomorrow night. I even found a great MP3 that Wikipedia linked to: an MP3 of "Auld Lang Syne" as sung by Kenneth McKellar (http://www.maybole.org/community/celebrations/christmas/greetings/AuldLangSyne2.mp3).

Robert Burns’ verse:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne ?

    CHORUS:
    For auld lang syne, my dear,
    for auld lang syne,
    we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
    for auld lang syne.

And surely ye’ll be your pint-stowp !
And surely I’ll be mine !
And we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

    CHORUS

We twa hae run about the braes,
and pou’d the gowans fine ;
But we’ve wander’d mony a weary fit,
sin’ auld lang syne.

    CHORUS

We twa hae paidl’d in the burn,
frae morning sun till dine ;
But seas between us braid hae roar’d
sin’ auld lang syne.

    CHORUS

And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere !
And gies a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll tak a right gude-willie-waught,
for auld lang syne.

    CHORUS
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2006, 02:12:22 pm
Just reading that list, I need to go lie down and take a nap.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 31, 2006, 02:26:04 pm
Yeah, I don't do these because... I... never follow through on them and...

...looking back on them only depresses me. Yeah.

I'll stop typing a-now.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: jough on December 31, 2006, 07:44:17 pm
I just keep track of movies I watch and what I eat.  For work, I have even more tasks and lists to keep track of.

I think I'll keep the rest of my private time for relaxing.  No more lists of things I should be doing but can't due to physical collapse.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2007, 05:07:25 am
More diligence with the exercising, less diligence with the liquor.

I got it backwards last year.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: jough on January 01, 2007, 08:54:30 pm
I think that was back in September.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: theinevitable on January 02, 2007, 07:55:30 am
yeah, my plan is to keep up with schoolwork better, try to give a shit, etc. also, start a band.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: Gimpson on January 02, 2007, 10:01:26 pm
1.  Quit Smoking (again) (Currently at 43 hours)
2.  Finish the year with 25 Masterpoints (http://www.acbl.org/about/membersByMPs.php).
3.  End year debt free.  (For once and finally, I think this is doable this year.)
4.  At least exercise some.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: AugustWest on January 02, 2007, 10:07:15 pm

2.  Finish the year with 25 Masterpoints (http://www.acbl.org/about/membersByMPs.php).


How many do you have now?
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: Gimpson on January 02, 2007, 10:12:46 pm
How many do you have now?

After this weekend's tourney, I think I'm sitting at around 6, all of which were earned in '06.  I think I can do better this year.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: Drygioni on January 02, 2007, 10:19:06 pm
Best of luck with giving up on this most addictive of vices, Gimpson.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: wombat on January 02, 2007, 11:57:08 pm
4.  At least exercise some.

I like this.  It is eminently reasonable.

Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: AugustWest on January 03, 2007, 02:21:32 am
Best of luck with giving up on this most addictive of vices, Gimpson.

Yeah, duplicate bridge can be a bear to quit.
Title: Re: New Year's Resolutions
Post by: linnea on January 08, 2007, 02:10:39 am
Speaking of New Years Resolutions, I'm back on the hacker's diet again as mentioned elsewhere. Kellichou sent me an interesting link of a photoessay showing caloric density of food:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm

Combined with NutritionData's (http://www.nutritiondata.com/) nifty little food ratings, I think that this is a pretty nifty way to remind myself about nutritional value. Some of the pictures are skewed (like the 200 kcal worth of Coca-Cola), but the page is still interesting nonetheless.