The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: linnea on January 08, 2007, 01:48:39 am

Title: Snopes.com
Post by: linnea on January 08, 2007, 01:48:39 am
It was poetic, really. I was reading the latest hoaxes on Snopes.com and my mom sent me an email with the "new" Mercedes that is driven by a joystick (http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/newmercedes.asp).  Kellichou is the one in my family who typically hits the "Reply To All" button with a link to the story, whether it's true or false.

I sat back and waited, and sure enough Kelli came through with the Snopes link. :D
 
Do any of you guys have problems with relatives and friends sending stupid forwards? Thank Heavens for gmail, because I just set up filters to try and preemptively shove the forwarded crap into the rubbish before I ever have to see it.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2007, 02:22:30 am
Do not lose hope.  After many incidents of replying to my mom's fowarded emails with links to Snopes, imagine my satisfaction the day she instead sent me an email saying "what's that site you always send me links to?"
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: jough on January 08, 2007, 02:38:21 am
Yeah, I used to get those email forwards from my family too and now they look it up on Snopes before forwarding it.   Sometimes the status is True so they'll forward it anyway along with the Snopes link for more info.

My family's pretty well educated, so we're all about Education for everyone on our email lists.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: linnea on January 08, 2007, 02:54:57 am
Yeah, I used to get those email forwards from my family too and now they look it up on Snopes before forwarding it.   Sometimes the status is True so they'll forward it anyway along with the Snopes link for more info.

My family's pretty well educated, so we're all about Education for everyone on our email lists.

Man... unlike omba's mom, my folks NEVER seem to catch on. I would weep with joy if they paused before hitting the FWD button and actually checked Snopes first.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2007, 03:51:27 am
my little sister constantly sends me this crap.

also, she has figured out that GMail has this bizarre "chat" feature, and sends me insipid messages constantly. I do not understand why. I am not usually this easily annoyed.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: jaydub on January 08, 2007, 03:53:30 am
Sometimes I'll get "Could this be true?" questions with a forward from my family.  They know there's someplace they could look - but they're lazy that way.  They know I can't resist debunking stuff.  My stepmother is forever forwarding prayer chains and "warn everyone you know!" stuff.  Finally, I have a coworker who sends me powerpoint presentations of puppies, rainbows, cherubs and other assorted kitsch.  I usually dump those unopened as they seem like good candidates for virus vehicles.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2007, 12:54:26 pm
Actually I don't mind people forwarding this kind of stuff so much, since at least you feel like you've done some good sending back the links to Snopes.  But there seems to be nothing I can do about the ones who forward every single joke or link to UTube that's going around the net.  I don't click on the UTube links but since 1 out of 10 of the jokes are good, I can't help reading them and being annoyed 9 out of 10 times.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 08, 2007, 02:45:19 pm
My mom is the kind of person who will forward pictures of adorable kittens or something and add her own two cents about why she's sending it, but she's also the kind of person who changes her default font and type size so I get "Thinking of you ~ This was TOO SPECIAL to keep to myself!!1!" in 24-point Comic Sans.

Thanks, mom.  I know you mean well.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: linnea on January 08, 2007, 02:56:27 pm
My mom is the kind of person who will forward pictures of adorable kittens or something and add her own two cents about why she's sending it, but she's also the kind of person who changes her default font and type size so I get "Thinking of you ~ This was TOO SPECIAL to keep to myself!!1!" in 24-point Comic Sans.

Thanks, mom.  I know you mean well.

HEH! Oh man, it's funny 'cos it's TRUE. The !1! is a nice touch.

I hate it when people have to post or write email in a "special" font, and the huge fonts are even more irritating. I had to use another woman's computer at work the other day, and she had set Internet Explorer to use some hideous, hard-to-read font as its default. I was trying to find information on NOAA's page and was getting all pissed ("WHY THE FUCK DID THEY USE THIS FONT JESUS") until I realized that Miss Retarded had specially set her computer to use that font. 'Twas not the government's fault at all!  Special.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: CortJstr on January 08, 2007, 03:43:34 pm
About two years ago my Personel Dept sent out that e-mail about how if you reduced the world to a village of a 100 then the 1 American would own the only computer and blah blah blah. I sent back the Snopes link but never got a reply.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2007, 06:38:48 pm
wait, so... Cort-- that was not real? Damn. Where on Snopes is it? I looked at a bunch of the pages and couldn't find it. If you could just tell me which section it's in, I can find it. You know.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2007, 06:56:21 pm
Search for "village of 100" and it's the first hit.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 08, 2007, 07:02:19 pm
It was poetic, really. I was reading the latest hoaxes on Snopes.com and my mom sent me an email with the "new" Mercedes that is driven by a joystick (http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/newmercedes.asp).  Kellichou is the one in my family who typically hits the "Reply To All" button with a link to the story, whether it's true or false.

I sat back and waited, and sure enough Kelli came through with the Snopes link. :D

That's me, too, and as a result some people in my extended family have stopped including me on their mass e-mails.

It was really entertaining when I had my domain (bigfool.com) set up to forward ALL mail sent to the domain to my inbox, regardless of what was in front of the @ sign.  Since bigfool is only one letter different than bigfoot, and bigfoot.com is a major e-mail forwarding service, I got a lot a lot a lot of mail that wasn't intended for me.  If there was a particularly egregious mass rant (e.g. "Harry Potter promotes devil worship, this must be stopped!" which was sent in all seriousness), I'd be all Reply Allin' even though I didn't know anyone involved.  This usually yielded "Who the hell are you?  Quit sending me this crap!"  Good times.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: kellichou on January 09, 2007, 02:33:22 am
It was poetic, really. I was reading the latest hoaxes on Snopes.com and my mom sent me an email with the "new" Mercedes that is driven by a joystick (http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/newmercedes.asp).  Kellichou is the one in my family who typically hits the "Reply To All" button with a link to the story, whether it's true or false.

I sat back and waited, and sure enough Kelli came through with the Snopes link. :D

Hee!  A tiny can for you!  To those of you who allege can nepotism, you're damn right.  It's hard, being the email forward party whip, but someone's gotta let everybody know it's a hoax, right? 
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: linnea on January 09, 2007, 05:30:33 am
Hee!  A tiny can for you!  To those of you who allege can nepotism, you're damn right.  It's hard, being the email forward party whip, but someone's gotta let everybody know it's a hoax, right? 

Heh! See why I love her, folks? She's effing rad, that's why. Keeping the retarded email in check. Wombie, I love you. Being a twin ROCKS.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Ben-San on January 09, 2007, 06:02:00 am
I only previously knew the "village of 100" story in the context of a comic book (Grant Morrison's "The Manhattan Guardian" #3) wherein an educational park is made along this theme with 100 *****s simulating these various demographics. The *****s then go berserk Westworld-style. I think that is a much improved version of the story.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Lister on January 09, 2007, 09:00:09 am
I don't know why this is, but I think secretaries feed off of this stuff.  They grow and become stronger with every FW: in the subject line.

It is like their Wonderbread.  Bland and unpalatable to anyone but them, it grants power in ways no human can imagine.

And WeatherBug is where this army of the damned gets their orders.



Wow, I'm glad I don't work for the place where I used to fix secretaries' computers any more.  I am still one heartfelt-but-completely-awful 9/11 poem + eagle crying + hang in there! cat away from beating someone to death with their own Precious Moments figurine, seriously.  For a time at this place I ran the spam filter.  I ended up blocking the phrase "forward this to everyone you care about," but they made me take it out.  I should've fought for it.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: theinevitable on January 09, 2007, 07:19:06 pm
I hate stuff like that on such a deep level. Probably for the same reason that I hate cheering en-masse for team sports, that thing where everyone puts their hands in the middle...
I don't know why, they just all make me uncomfortable in the same way. Expressions of emotion en-masse, I suppose. I am totally into expressing emotions, but in any of those situations I get all quiet and want to run away.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 10, 2007, 01:55:37 am
that thing where everyone puts their hands in the middle...

You hate the Hokey Pokey?  What the HELL, dude?
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: theinevitable on January 10, 2007, 02:16:10 am
no, no, the thing where you put your hands in the middle and say "gooooo HAWKS!"
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Alternate on January 10, 2007, 10:20:31 am
I don't like that hands-in-the-middle thing, either, because it's an expression of emotion on command.  It's like in King Lear when the king asks his daughter to secure her inheritance by waxing poetic about her love for him, and she does love him but refuses to say so, because she knows that if she says it in that context it will seem like an obligation and won't seem genuine.  Similarly, when everybody puts their hands in the middle to say "goooo HAWKS" you know no one is going to go, "Nah, sorry, I'm actually not that crazy about the Hawks," even if it's true, they're all just going to play along.  So if I dislike the Hawks I'll be perturbed by the pressure to lie, and if I actually do like them then I'll be creeped out by the impossibility of distinguishing myself from the liars. 

Oh, and Re: your signature:  I like how you are weirded out that your girlfriend wants to give you a shirt.  This (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02182004) is how I picture your situation going down. 
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: innes on January 10, 2007, 10:31:30 am
Whenever Ive been to a football (sacker) match I've ended up quietly and vehemently supporting the opposition.
It must be something to do with being stuck in the middle of a crowd of biased, shouty arseholes.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Alternate on January 10, 2007, 10:50:58 am
On glurgy chain letters:  In high school I was briefly on an email list to allow students from a certain theater program to keep in touch.  I was disappointed to see that almost all of the emails on this list were forwarded rhymes, cheesy stories, and ASCII pictures of flowers, with the requisite warnings to pass this joy on to all my friends or face an agonizing death.  I put up with this for a few months, then decided to do something about it.  I sent a chain letter to the list, the only one I've ever sent.  Its subject line was "The chain letter to end all chain letters," and its content explained that anyone who forwarded it would thereafter be exempt from all penalties threatened by subsequent chain letters, and would automatically receive their promised rewards, without forwarding any of them.  It was both a satire of chain letters in general, and a mechanism to discourage superstitious/compulsive people from forwarding future glurge that came their way.  (Unfortunately it didn't work for the friend who originally sent it to me -- she started sending me chain letters again a week or two later.)  Technically it was a chain letter itself, but I felt the time had come to fight fire with fire. 

As soon as I'd sent it, however, a boy responded to the list angrily.  He was angry because he hated chain letters, and I had sent one.  He ranted for a while, and then ultimately implored the people of the list not to send any more chain letters.  The stream of forwarded stories and poems continued unabated, and he never commented on the subject again.  My conclusion:  Some people believe that emails which are not labelled "chain letter" are not chain letters, and so should be tolerated, while emails which are labelled "chain letter" are chain letters of the worst kind, and should outrage us all.  I've also noticed that many people think "pyramid scheme" means "email with the subject line 'this is a pyramid scheme'".  It's pretty lame. 
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2007, 04:09:28 pm
I got that chain letter to end all chain letters. THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH. Man, was I happy at that one. I just forwarded it to everybody and haven't done so with any email since.

Nobody else seemed to understand that you weren't just allowed to stop forwarding chain letters, you were also requested to.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: theinevitable on January 10, 2007, 05:55:22 pm
yeah, um, I get upset in any circumstance where everyone is expressing the same emotion, or I am expected to express a certain emotion.
Good examples:
-someone has just broken up with her boy, and we are all supposed to agree that he was a bad guy
-supporting sports teams
-group prayer
-saying "thank you" if someone else has just said it. This one gets me in trouble. But I don't want them to think I only thought of it because of the first person!
-saying "I love you" when someone has just given me something/done a favor.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2007, 06:11:47 pm
I don't think I've every said "happy [occasion]" for this reason. Well, maybe I've said it after getting a look from my mom or something but my heart wasn't in it.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2007, 01:46:13 am
An AA at a place I once worked printed out the email about the Ms. Fields cookie recipe and gave it to everyone there. I showed her the place it was specifically covered in Snopes - no dice. I brought in the Jan Brunvand book in which it was discussed - nothing. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

So I baked up a batch and put rat posion in 'em. That'll learn her.
Title: Re: Snopes.com
Post by: CortJstr on January 11, 2007, 01:59:51 am
An AA at a place I once worked printed out the email about the Ms. Fields cookie recipe and gave it to everyone there. I showed her the place it was specifically covered in Snopes - no dice. I brought in the Jan Brunvand book in which it was discussed - nothing. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

So I baked up a batch and put rat posion in 'em. That'll learn her.

I like the Neiman-Marcus cookie story and the AmEx Black story because they made the company go, "well shit, if people already think this is true then why the hell aren't we actually doing it?"