The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: typicalreader on January 09, 2007, 05:07:34 pm

Title: a new person! LQQK
Post by: typicalreader on January 09, 2007, 05:07:34 pm
hi!

it is unreal to me, how many people are on here. i thought like, a few dozen people tops read 'achewood'. anyway here i am
 
i work at a museum, and also in local show promotion. i'm a fun guy mostly but also prone to being kind of a jerk a little. it isn't unlike me to indulge in bouts of bizarre drunken forumblathering. my favorite movie is 'american graffiti' and my favorite band is ted leo and the pharmacists. here is a picture of a mix CD that i put together to give to my friends in liu of an actual gift for christmas 2002. i commissioned our mutual friend, mr. onstad, to create the cover art. i post this not to show off, but to prove that i am a Knucklehead From Old Times, as opposed to a Huggins-come-lately

(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/koenigsegg1/cd.jpg)
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2007, 05:48:00 pm
to prove that i am a Knucklehead From Old Times, as opposed to a Huggins-come-lately


Hmm. Pretty convincing.

What kind of museum?  Now I want to think of something I need to commission art work for - how much did it cost?
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: typicalreader on January 09, 2007, 07:38:50 pm
Hmm. Pretty convincing.

What kind of museum?  Now I want to think of something I need to commission art work for - how much did it cost?

i work at http://www.fine-arts.org (http://www.fine-arts.org)

also, it cost $50 for the artwork and about another $20 at kinko's to crank out dozens of copies of it. of course, this was five years ago, and with chris having a daughter and a boat load of new readers now, i'm guessing it might cost more. also, i make grown people's money now, so i can afford to buy my friends actual christmas presents
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 09, 2007, 08:21:52 pm
I like the cut of your jib if only 'cause I haven't seen some of the privately commissioned stuff in a while.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: typicalreader on January 09, 2007, 08:27:25 pm
there used to be a gallery of onstad's privately commissioned pieces, wasn't there?
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 09, 2007, 08:33:02 pm
Exactly, plus there were a few other (now gone) places on the inter-nets where people displayed such early-times things as yours'n.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: typicalreader on January 09, 2007, 08:41:49 pm
track list:

low - 'just like christmas'
the cure - 'boys don't cry'
the apples in stereo - 'rainfall'
the weakerthans - 'aside'
rival schools - 'travel by telephone'
thursday - 'standing on the edge of summer'
interpol - 'obstacle one'
cat power - 'he war'
elvis costello - 'allison'
soulstice - 'the reason'
the streets - 'weak become heroes'
a tribe called quest - 'bonita applebum'
beastie boys - 'get it together'
royksopp - 'poor leno'
cassius - 'crazy legs'
vince guaraldi trio - 'christmastime is here'

killing time at work + ratcheting my post count up = this post
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: CortJstr on January 09, 2007, 09:09:19 pm
Aside might be my favorite Weakerthans song. Because basically I'm a sucker for the line "amatuer cartography"
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2007, 09:23:50 pm
Artists I have heard of on that list: 6
plus, songs I have actually heard: 2
equals, I am totally uncool.

But note, in case any future employer somehow checks my post count for today: NOT posting at work, I am off on Tuesdays.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: CortJstr on January 09, 2007, 09:34:24 pm
Artists I have heard of on that list: 6
plus, songs I have actually heard: 2
equals, I am totally uncool.

But note, in case any future employer somehow checks my post count for today: NOT posting at work, I am off on Tuesdays.

For me it's 10 and 5
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: theinevitable on January 09, 2007, 09:47:56 pm
10 and 3. Woop Woop.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: linnea on January 09, 2007, 10:45:20 pm
Oooh, I love Cat Power.

I've also only heard the music of six of those bands, omba. Don't feel bad!
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: V-Adore on January 10, 2007, 12:21:48 am
7 and, uh, 0 over here. I'll go hide in my corner now.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2007, 12:29:25 am
I don't believe it, V. You never watched the Charlie Brown Christmas show?
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: V-Adore on January 10, 2007, 12:49:57 am
I don't believe it, V. You never watched the Charlie Brown Christmas show?

Oh, wait, that's what that was? Okay, that makes it... uh, 7 and 1. Go me?
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 10, 2007, 01:53:33 am
12 and 7 I am so cooooooooooooooooooooool

When I saw this thread title I thought someone had given birth.  Welcome,TR.  (Can I call you TR?)
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: typicalreader on January 10, 2007, 02:03:23 am
they call me TL (typicallistener) on the keith and the girl (podcast) forums, so sure, you can call me TR
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: jough on January 10, 2007, 02:36:47 am
8 and 4.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: AugustWest on January 10, 2007, 02:42:04 am
7 and 2
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 10, 2007, 09:17:56 am
11 and 5.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2007, 01:56:15 am
13 and 6.

I'm kind of surprised Cort and Jough's numbers came in as low as they did - I would have thought both of you would have heard of every one of them.

Also, welcome.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: vivouk on January 11, 2007, 04:10:27 am
13 and 8

 :D

That Low track is gorgeous.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: side_show on January 11, 2007, 02:33:20 pm
Hi Mr.Typical, welcome.

Any fan of the Weakerthans is a friend of mine.

Did you know I used to live across the street from the lead singer of the Weakerthans and his even more brilliant wife Christine Fellows? (http://www.christinefellows.com/)  Sometimes they would sit out on their porch and play accordions, guitars, etc. and sing together, and I would shyly sneak out on to my porch to listen.  It was painfully beautiful to have their music lilt across the street on the summer breeze.  I was way too shy to go over and say hello.  In fact, I was terrified.  If they would see me, they would usually go back inside - I don't think they wanted an audience.  Anyway, I highly recommend Fellows album "Little Birds."  I went to the CD release party a few years back, and it was incredible.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: CortJstr on January 11, 2007, 03:13:28 pm
Hi Mr.Typical, welcome.

Any fan of the Weakerthans is a friend of mine.

Did you know I used to live across the street from the lead singer of the Weakerthans and his even more brilliant wife Christine Fellows? (http://www.christinefellows.com/)  Sometimes they would sit out on their porch and play accordions, guitars, etc. and sing together, and I would shyly sneak out on to my porch to listen.  It was painfully beautiful to have their music lilt across the street on the summer breeze.  I was way too shy to go over and say hello.  In fact, I was terrified.  If they would see me, they would usually go back inside - I don't think they wanted an audience.  Anyway, I highly recommend Fellows album "Little Birds."  I went to the CD release party a few years back, and it was incredible.

My favorite part of The Weakerthans show that I saw was watching the guitar and bass players acting like they were in an 80's metal band. All guitar necks in the air, all playin' on their knees face to face. Meanwhile the actual song being played is Benediction or somesuch.

The SO said that since Reconstruction Site was released Sarah Harmer has been doing Weakerthans covers at her shows.
Title: Re: a new person! LQQK
Post by: smick on January 11, 2007, 04:36:50 pm
I'm at 8 and 4 as well.