The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: robot_god on January 11, 2007, 10:57:29 am

Title: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: robot_god on January 11, 2007, 10:57:29 am
Was real good.  Basically-must-see for any surrealism enthusiast.

Subtitled, and contains some intense graphic violence.  May be pretty difficult to find a theater showing it.  Obligatory joints en route/in parking lot.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: slink on January 11, 2007, 06:05:23 pm
Has been described as the Citizen Kane of fantasist cinema, as well as film of the year, or decade.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: theinevitable on January 11, 2007, 06:16:30 pm
it's showing down the street from my house, but it doesn't start showing until a week after I get back to St Louis.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: slink on January 11, 2007, 08:21:37 pm
I'm having to hold out for the DVD. What with living six billion miles from anywhere that will show it before then, if at all. Our local cinema closed down this year, after years of not being visited by anybody with a nose. And I feel the theatre will not show it on account of trying to appear quite the cineaste's establishment, but constantly missing the high brow choice. It's a shitty screen anyway, with end of the run prints, and  I have a decent screen.

I need to live closer to civilisation. Sometimes it occurs to dawn on me.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: robot_god on January 11, 2007, 10:41:23 pm
A person I was with said it doesn't reach The Departed for the best of the year, but I haven't seen that yet.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: slink on January 14, 2007, 09:29:36 am
A person I was with said it doesn't reach The Departed for the best of the year, but I haven't seen that yet.

Another one I'm yet to see too, but again, looking forward to.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: theinevitable on January 20, 2007, 08:07:36 pm
can anyone confirm: it is scary or just violent? i can deal with suspense... as long as it isn't dudes jumping out from behind stuff and stabbing people/grabbing people/etc.

I am maybe seeing it tonight.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: linnea on January 20, 2007, 08:14:46 pm
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was Pat's Labyrinth.

I effing hate violent films Yuck. I also don't like scary or suspenseful. I'm a fan of drama and black humor pieces like the Royal Tenenbaums.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 20, 2007, 08:18:22 pm
The title would have me sitting in the theater, the whole time wondering:

"So, when is this film actually going to be about David Bowie's package?"
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: theinevitable on January 20, 2007, 08:38:51 pm
Blood Diamond was so freaking good. It managed to make me cry at the sheer shittiness of the situation. Which, I mean, normally I don't cry about "oh man, the world sucks sometimes, that is horrible." Normally I cry about "the little old man has no one to love him, except his dog" or "they decided not to move to New York after all! They'll stay in St Louis forever!" or, even, "Fry made all the stars blow up to spell a Love Note, but she did not see it."
now I can add "goddamn. Africa is so beautiful."

but yeah, I am gonna Man Up and see it.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: Choop on January 20, 2007, 09:18:32 pm
I'm about to go see Pan's Labyrinth. DAMN does it look beautiful. I'll post about it later, if I remember.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: robot_god on January 20, 2007, 09:41:13 pm
Well, nah, it ain't scary.  It is a bit graphic, but in words I may be overemphasizing the violence.  Let me put it this way, it's got two realities:  fairy tale world and real world guerilla warfare.  Just a little bit of harmless war, ya know?  Strong R rating style, baby, just the way I like it.  BOOYAH.

Ya know?  Movies is movies.  There's more to be scared of in a chicken nugget.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2007, 11:32:13 pm
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was Pat's Labyrinth.


Now there's a movie I would pay good money to see.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: V-Adore on January 21, 2007, 12:56:54 am
Now there's a movie I would pay good money to see.

Pat's Labyrinth would no doubt involve liberal usage of the TrageDie.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: Choop on January 21, 2007, 02:38:00 am
Very pretty, not as good as the hype. 3.5/5

I was expecting a great story, layers of plot and symbolism, and all that jazz that kicks an okay movie into the realm of greatitude. Not so much.

Very pretty, though. At some times visually disturbing.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: theinevitable on January 21, 2007, 04:06:18 am
I really liked it. But the people I saw it with pissed me off. Specifically, one guy.
Me: "wow, I loved how ambiguous it was. I mean (lists several ambiguous things)"
guy: "um, no. it wasn't ambiguous."
guy 2: "he's right. you just didn't get it."

and then we had this big argument where they refused to acknowledge anything I thought about the movie, and told me I didn't get it. Nothing gets my goat more than being told that my opinion is not valid.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2007, 04:09:10 am
Yeah, that's what I expected somebody like you to say.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: theinevitable on January 21, 2007, 04:19:06 am
what disturbed me even more is that I started comparing it to other works of popular/folk fiction, and they had the same response to these others, as well.

Apparently, none of the people I was with have ever believed that Magic could happen-- including in children's stories, Calvin and Hobbes, fairy tales... etc.

people, you cannot know a thing about a work of fiction that the author does not know. that is not possible-- the world of the fiction does not exist without his mind.

Hobbes was alive, goddamnit.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 21, 2007, 06:10:02 am
Quote from: theinevitable
Hobbes was alive, goddamnit.

I've always found it to be a useful mind-clearing exercise to... read some Calvin and Hobbes comics?

And then remember that Calvin is equally as imaginary as Hobbes.

And, because of that, equally as real.

But... I'm a flake, I smoked some pot in colllege, I just got back from a laser show of "Dark Side of the Moon" and so on. Your mileage may vary.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2007, 06:24:17 am

people, you cannot know a thing about a work of fiction that the author does not know. that is not possible-- the world of the fiction does not exist without his mind.


All kidding aside, I think you are dead wrong in this assertion.

Yes, the artist knows everything that went into the creation of his work.  However, the viewer is not a tabula rasa.  When I read a work of fiction, I am approaching it from my own particular perspective which the artist cannot predict.  I submit that the Mona Lisa means something slightly different to you than it does to me.  Your sensations, perceptions and interpretations are influenced by your genetic background and your personal history.  Consumers of works of art are neither fungible nor interchangible.  Our differences in perception add to the totality of the art.

To Achewood-ize it.  In my life, I've known guys sort of like Beef or Ray or whatever.  So have you.  I come here to TOUAMB and post about the comic, and my post is influenced by the guy I knew who was very Ray-like.  You read my post and your understanding of Onstad's work of art is fleshed out and enhanced a tiny bit.  Therefore my understanding of the comic has somehow influenced your appreciation of it.  Onstad had nothing to do with that part of it.

Have you never gotten a fresh perspective on a strip from something posted here.  Can't you conceive that a reader might glean some hidden or unexpected meaning that Onstad hadn't ever intended?  And if so, wouldn't that add to the totality of the artistic value of the strip?

Nothing exists in a vacuum.  Every bit of the universe affects and interacts with every other bit.  Artists create art, but together we all create our shared perception of it.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 21, 2007, 06:39:47 am
In my mind, the Mona Lisa is smiling because she thinks we're funny looking.

There are people who think that the Mona Lisa is smiling because she is the artist drawing himself as a girl.

The artist could not have been thinking both things when making it.

...authorial intent goes a long way and... I would even go so far as to say that it is probably the first and last place to look for in terms of a work's meaning? But it isn't the only place. The people who made "Friends" certainly don't know that it will be put forth as the final proof that mankind has failed in every way but... there is it.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: theinevitable on January 21, 2007, 08:41:12 am
ok, but, what I am trying to get at is... I mean, Bill Waterston has told multiple people that he didnt' intend it to be clear whether hobbes was "really" alive or not. So it's silly for people to assert that "he obviously was fake." Similar to the people telling me that it was completely wrong for me to say the end of the movie was ambiguous-- obviously their interpretation is the only correct one.

So what I'm saying is, of course the viewer can have his own interpretations of the meaning, etc. But deciding that, for instance, Hobbes has to have been all in Calvin's imagination, when Watterston himself says that he "doesn't know for sure"... and then arguing that someone is an idiot for not seeing it your way... is ridiculous.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: robot_god on January 21, 2007, 09:13:59 am
Yeah, that shit is vague.  Mild spoilers to follow:




























My friend stands by the fact that she (what was her name?) was schizophrenic but I think he just needs to poor out his Coors Light and drink some cough syrup 'cause that movie was obviously a creation of life/evolution of the universe tale.  Additionally, the stuff going on in the real world at the end was incredibly dreamlike, so much that it probably couldn't exist, hell of Huck Finn styles.  I heard an interview with Guillermo del Toro and he mostly talked about the purity of childhood.  He went out of his way to show he does not mean the innocence of childhood, since children are also capable of the purest form of hate, which perhaps what's-her-name is guilty of.  But what could be more pure than the creation of the universe?

Anyway, I just saw GdT's picture on imdb and god damn he looks like Peter Jackson's twin.  He does the voice of the faun, too;  I figured he would have dark, rough, wrinkled skin, black hair, and a brimmed hat hiding his eyes, but he's just a fat-ass whitey, wtf?  I wish I never saw his picture, now I like his film a little less.

Also, Mona Lisa is similing because she is about to get stuffed with some dick.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: jough on January 21, 2007, 04:47:41 pm
Actually, I find that the artist is usually the *worst* person to ask about what something *means*.

A CASE STUDY

Inev is clearly a Modernist.  He believes that it is the artist who assigns meaning to his work through his own past, experiences, and history.

August is a Post-Modernist (perhaps a Post-Structuralist) who believes that we bring meaning *to* the work.

I'm some bastard hybrid of a Deconstructionist and a Modernist - I believe that the Most Important Thing is the text, and then you can colour-in the meaning, fill in the gaps, etc., with history.

POP QUIZ!

James Joyce wrote: "History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."  Does this statement betray a prescriptive or descriptive conveyance of meaning?

Discuss.  Show your work.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: theinevitable on January 21, 2007, 08:18:40 pm
no, see, I don't feel like that's what I'm saying. What something -means- is different from deciding facts about a piece of art--

spoiler: The guy was telling me that at the end, it was obvious that none of the magic stuff was real. I maintain that it is impossible to know-- there are multiple ways to interpret the ending. I am not saying that I am "right" in believing that it was real. What I'm saying is that the ending was purposely ambiguous, so no one can claim to "know" that it was either "all real" or "all in her mind"

a-so: was he going to smash his watch at the end? I kind of got the impression from the rest of the film that he had some creepy obsession with the watch, and he wasn't going to do it.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2007, 08:37:26 pm

August is a Post-Modernist (perhaps a Post-Structuralist) who believes that we bring meaning *to* the work.


Sort of, I guess.  I believe the author instills an intended meaning into her work, and the consumer brings additional meaning to the work through the process of interpretation.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: robot_god on January 21, 2007, 08:49:32 pm
The guy was telling me that at the end, it was obvious that none of the magic stuff was real. I maintain that it is impossible to know-- there are multiple ways to interpret the ending. I am not saying that I am "right" in believing that it was real. What I'm saying is that the ending was purposely ambiguous, so no one can claim to "know" that it was either "all real" or "all in her mind"

a-so: was he going to smash his watch at the end? I kind of got the impression from the rest of the film that he had some creepy obsession with the watch, and he wasn't going to do it.


Yeah, I say this dude is as much of a cornball as my schizo interpretation buddy.  Just because they show the Cap see what's-her-name (seriously though, what is her name??) talking to the air, doesn't mean that it wasn't happening.  Hell of Polar Express styles, you have to believe it to experience it, the Captain is barred from experiencing it.  These realist interpretations are committing the same sin as the Captain does, if you don't believe in the magic of earth, you won't be treated to it and you can die on your knees for all the universe gives a shit.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: pmcd9 on January 26, 2007, 01:08:03 am
was he going to smash his watch at the end? I kind of got the impression from the rest of the film that he had some creepy obsession with the watch, and he wasn't going to do it.

He carried that watch up his ass for seven years in The 'Nam.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: jough on January 27, 2007, 03:16:50 am
I'm seeing this tomorrow.  Will post thoughts.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2007, 06:02:57 am
I'm seeing this tomorrow.  Will post thoughts.

So did you ever see it?  It's 9 months later...

I just finished it mere moments ago.

Wow. 

That was one hell of intense movie.

I don't think I care whether or not the dream world stuff was "real" or not.  Only Ofelia knows for sure.  Either way it doesn't change what happened in the "real" world and what may or may not have happened in the "dream" world.  I don't think Ofelia's death was meaningless either way.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: mavies on September 17, 2007, 07:43:15 am
Dude. Spoiled it halfway to hell, yo. Reading this thread made me want to watch this film, but now, alas! 'T'is ruininated.

I s'pose I had it coming reading it, but still, is mini-font that hard?
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: Doc on September 17, 2007, 10:46:06 am
Go watch it anyway, is tre good.
Also seriously, there is a time limit on how long something can be considered a spoiler.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2007, 04:27:32 pm
HERMIONE KILLS VOLDEMORT!
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2007, 04:57:42 pm
Dude. Spoiled it halfway to hell, yo. Reading this thread made me want to watch this film, but now, alas! 'T'is ruininated.

I s'pose I had it coming reading it, but still, is mini-font that hard?

I'm sorry.  I guess I'm just used to being the last one to watch current movies around here.  But you should absolutely still watch the movie, it's great.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: side_show on September 17, 2007, 07:17:47 pm
Dude. Spoiled it halfway to hell, yo. Reading this thread made me want to watch this film, but now, alas! 'T'is ruininated.

I s'pose I had it coming reading it, but still, is mini-font that hard?

You see her lying there dying in the first scene of the film.  It is not a surprise that she dies, nothing has been ruined for you da'link.  It's a great movie - ch-check it out!
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: jough on September 17, 2007, 11:29:55 pm
Yeah, no real spoilers in this thread.

Well, I thought it was really good, although I had problems with the ending, which didn't really seem to follow from what came before (although I did like the ambiguity as to the nature of the film's reality).

Yeah, it was good, but I haven't felt a need to watch it again since I first saw it.  Unlike "Children of Men" which I saw the same weekend but have re-watched about five times since.

Heck, I've watched "300" about a dozen times now (it's one of three HD-DVDs that I have so it's pretty much just on in the background all the dang time).
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: mavies on September 20, 2007, 08:04:08 am
Ah, that's cool then. Sorry peoples, it seemed kinda spoilery at the time. I almost saw it a few nights ago, but ended up watching A Boy & His Dog again. Man, that film is awesome. I just sat there and laughed for a good 10 minutes at the ending.

But yeah I am totally gonna watch that Pan's Labyrinth sometime in the next few weeks. And Children of Men, again. Also 300. This is why I love you people, you give me ideas.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: melack on September 21, 2007, 05:26:41 am
I've had Pan's Labyrinth sitting in my Tivo list since I taped it on HBO about a month ago. I'm waiting for the right drug to come along so that I can maximize my enjoyment.

I may never watch the movie because I don't actually do any drugs.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: jaydub on September 21, 2007, 11:19:01 pm
Maybe you'll get a searing fever.  Sometimes I hallucinate a bit with those.
Title: Re: Pan's Labyrinth
Post by: Toaster on October 29, 2007, 10:42:28 pm
Hobbes was real because there was no way Calivn could have tied himself to the chair.

Pan was real because there was no way for Ofelia to lose the Captain in that corridor, and how else do you explain her mom getting miraculously better and then getting worse again in seconds when the mandrake root was introduced and then destroyed?