The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Drygioni on January 11, 2007, 07:51:56 pm
-
Who's this Mayor you ask? Well, his real name is Carlos Del Vaca, but because it's birthday I will use his official title.
Happy Birthday, dude! Enjoy it like you would enjoy a day in which your most hated football team all contract flu.
-
Happy Birthday! I've come over all warm and squishy for you. Oh wait... that's... Happy Birthday anyway!
-
How often can you say, 'PARTY AT THE MAYOR'S'?
Happy Birthday!
(I think that was mostly delivered in a Cleveland voice, dang 'party over here').
-
Banana Town's finest rings up another year. Deserves a parade with floats and dancing troupes it does.
HappyHappyJoyJoy's
-
No hot bloody fat on the mayor today!
Unless that's what he likes, of course.
-
How often can you say, 'PARTY AT THE MAYOR'S'?
Happy Birthday!
(I think that was mostly delivered in a Cleveland voice, dang 'party over here').
I thought I was the only one who couldn't stop repeating that bit.
Anyway, let's home that some fun substances get on The Mayor today. Confetti? Balloon drop? Wrestled-in Jell-O?
-
No hot bloody fat on the mayor today!
Damn! That's what I got him!
Happy Birthday anyhow, dude.
-
Congratulations on making it another 365 1/4 days!
-
Happy birthday, dude! Enjoy your birthday. May it be filled with fun and good fortune.
-
Appropos of nothing:
The title of this post made me wonder how one would go about naming the character in a story "Mayor Naise" without giving it away immediately.
How you would separate out the references to the character as... "Ms. Mayor" or "Judy Naise" or "Judy" or so on until it would finally hit someone as a sick childish joke at the end of the story.
As if to say, "haha, reader, you've invested all your emotion into a mechanism purely to distract you from a child's pun until the end and this is an analogy to trying to make sense of living and being a person.
But... it seems like the act of trying to write that novel would, in function, turn into an analogy toward that awful truth as well and... I've been trying to avoid Third-Level Ironies as they tend to either make me a depressing jerk or a giddy jerk.
Also:
Happy birthday.
-
Rock on! Oh happy day . . . anyway, enjoy.
-
"Mayor! The protestors got violent and rioted. Five dead, three by police!"
Judy Naise hadn't even gotten through her first cup of coffee. Short, wiry, and gray, with hair to match, her pinstripes led her out of City Hall into a clump of reporters.
Yep, can't be done.
-
Yep, can't be done.
Leggy, busty, and with a blood red cocktail dress and lipstick to match . . .
You may have just gotten off on the wrong foot.
-
Wiry and gray?
Hm.
I dunno. I pictured her as bookishly attractive, all catseye glasses and chestnut hair tied back in a bun, trying her best to hide her youthful beauty because she fears no one would take her seriously as a mayor because of those traits. Like the one female scientist on every rocket-control team in every science-fiction movies from the Fifties. Like Kitty Pryde all trying to teach a computer science masters course where all her students want to date her, even the girls.*
Like Judy Blume must've looked in her early thirties.
Still, in every other way, you're pretty much right, Choop.
*especially the girls.
-
Here's how you do it.
Judy Centers is the up and coming councilwoman planning a run for higher office. While driving home after a late night city council meeting she witnesses a horrendous murder. The detective in charge of the investigation is hard-bitten, cynical yet dedicated (and dangerously handsome) Detective Sargeant Nick Nays. Together Judy and Nick discover clues and attract votes, lock up a serial murderer/rapist and clean up Midland City -- all while finding time for love.
-
Like Judy Blume must've looked in her early thirties.
Oh man, I just got a boner...
-
I figured wiry and gray would make the pun less visible.
That's the only way to get there, August - you are indeed a genius! It's the closing sentence.
"The results are in, Judy-- you won! We'd better get your team together. In eight weeks you become Mayor!"
Judy finally enjoys a slow, relaxing breath. "Ahh," she says. "Mayor Nays. I quite like the sound of that."
-
You're definitely onto something.
All it lacks is either (a.) Nick turning out to be an homage to DC Comics' The Question or (b.) Judy turning out to be a female Highlander. One or the other. Both would tip our hand too much and make people aware we're trying to hide the story of Pastiche City and her foxy chief-executive, Mayor Nays.
EDIT: the actual final line would be "Mayor Nays... I like the way it rolls off my tongue."
-
+CAN
-
Thankee for the well wishes, everyone. The missus and the oldest made me a cake; how the hell can you beat that?
Other than by changing my last name to Naise, of course.
-
Happy Birthday, Mayor. I originally did not look at this thread because I did not make the connection that you are The Mayor. Many happy returns.
-
Thankee for the well wishes, everyone. The missus and the oldest made me a cake; how the hell can you beat that?
By having an attractive lady sit in the cake?