The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on January 12, 2007, 11:01:24 pm

Title: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
Post by: Nabubrush on January 12, 2007, 11:01:24 pm
So, I was watching this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GFLGRidfFo4&mode=related&search=) this afternoon, and wondering what the genesis was of the expression "in it to win it" (surely not this timeless ode). Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_It_To_Win_It) offers no help. Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=in+it) doesn't even get close. Amusingly, the second hit right now on google is this (http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/in-it-to.htm), which delights my senses. But this is neither here nor there.

It occurred to me that it might be helpful to have somewhere to go to find out the origins of various (especially . . . urban) expressions. Does anyone out there have any particular resource they enjoy using for things like this?

Also, as an aside, would it be pleasing to have a list of reference pages that people use? I know I depend heavily on allmusic (http://www.allmusic.com/) for things of a musical bent, and lean on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/) too, but I'm guessing everyone here is dialled in to those. Neither here nor there, a recent workout spent watching Heavy Metal (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082509/) got me curious about the band Trust. (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:lea9qjobojha) Did you know this guy (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=NICKO|MCBRAIN&sql=11:n7rvadskt8wn~T0) was in Trust and Iron Maiden both? So was this guy! (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:2zklu3e5an4k) Sorry, got sidetracked . . . but Trust might be the most underrated French heavy metal band of all time!
Title: Re: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 17, 2007, 03:56:46 pm
. . . but Trust might be the most underrated French heavy metal band of all time!

I...I...didn't know this sentance was possible. It took a while for it to sink in.
Title: Re: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
Post by: Nabubrush on February 02, 2007, 10:30:12 pm
Trust might be the most underrated French heavy metal band of all time!

I...I...didn't know this sentance was possible. It took a while for it to sink in.

The really cool thing is that they are also the most overrated French heavy metal band of all time.

Too obvious?
Title: Re: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 03, 2007, 07:05:16 pm
France has bands?

I thought it was... like... everyone either listened to dirty old men playing concertinas or Kraftwerk beamed in from Berlin on shortwave propaganda channels.

The sole exception being the band "Air" which... though I like them a good bit... do sound a bit like dirty old men covering Kraftwerk songs on concertinas.
Title: Re: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
Post by: slink on February 04, 2007, 03:33:24 pm
France has bands?

Erm... Mano Negra? Not to mention L'Attirail, and a significant array of other really good French bands cropping up at the moment. A lot of good blues happening there of late for instance.
I admit, until fairly recently I would have tended to agree with you, but Mano Negra were around years ago, and ought never be overlooked!