The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on January 15, 2007, 01:52:21 am

Title: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: melack on January 15, 2007, 01:52:21 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01152007

This reminds me of the when United lost my luggage on a flight to LAX this past summer. Their Indian customer service deparment is absolutely horrid. In fact, I'm pretty sure they used this very same phrase on me at least once.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: linnea on January 15, 2007, 01:57:41 am
Nice Pete getting dissed by an Indian customer service rep does not bode well for Ray and Teodor. He might just snap and kill them the old-fashioned way.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: theinevitable on January 15, 2007, 02:00:20 am
man. what are you talking about. indian customer service people make me all warm and fuzzy.

...I'm not kidding. I don't really know why. accent + calm tone = yes.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: AugustWest on January 15, 2007, 02:10:29 am
I forsee a long flight in Nice Pete's future, followed by one angry West Virginian showing up at the front door of one fancy son of bitch from India. 

Rest assured, Hajul.  Even in a country of over a billion people on the other side of the planet, Peter Cropes will find you.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2007, 02:13:45 am
Maybe Hajul just didn't QA it at all. Because he's an irresponsible prick.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 15, 2007, 03:33:44 am
The brief period I worked one of those jobs for a cell phone company, every third call involved some sort of "Oh, wow, you're actually American, aren't you?" realization by the caller. "That's amazing, where are you at?"

We couldn't say where we were, of course, because probablly twice a day you'd also get a death threat because... some storefront or dealer or other call-answerer-person promised them something impossible or against policy and when they'd tell you, they'd offer to have you killed for a promise someone else mad.

But we'd tell 'em "yeah, we're in the Eastern Time Zone of the US, that's all we can say".

Which, y'know, they really liked and generally brought up their politeness... unless it was going to turn into a big-lie/death-threat call. It wouldn't cancel those out, of course.

It was a terrible job.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: Fooker on January 15, 2007, 03:39:21 am
I read Hajul's lines out loud in the appropriate accent.

So did you.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: elfbabe on January 15, 2007, 04:41:51 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01152007

This reminds me of the when United lost my luggage on a flight to LAX this past summer.

Dude! United lost my luggage, too, and I also got some Indian guy on the phone.

I had a story here about United sucking, but on second thought, I doubt anybody really wants to hear it.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: oball on January 15, 2007, 04:48:12 am
Hajul is my new favourite character.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: AugustWest on January 15, 2007, 05:14:19 am
NEWSFLASH!!!

Hajul is really Liebot.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: melack on January 15, 2007, 05:22:42 am
Dude! United lost my luggage, too, and I also got some Indian guy on the phone.

I had a story here about United sucking, but on second thought, I doubt anybody really wants to hear it.

The funny thing is that I called their customer service department about three or four times and absolutely nothing came of any of these calls. Literally no helpful information whatsoever. The first time I called, they said not enough time had passed, so I should call them again. The second time I called, they said they would send some kind of query and I'd get more information when I call them back in about an hour. The third person had NO IDEA what I spoke to the previous person about. The fourth time I tried to talk to a supervisor, but apparently supervisors there are like the Minotaur or the Hydra: mythical beings told of in stories, but with no actual basis in reality. I was passing through LA a few days after my flight on the way down to San Diego, so I figured I would go to the lost luggage deparment to see if my bag had turned up. LO AND MOTHERfuck*ng BEHOLD! It did!

What angered me more is that I used to work as a consumer service rep at Nintendo of America, and we got shit done. Compared to United, Nintendo's 800 number seems like Christ-returned. I always used to wonder why people who called in always wanted to know where we were located, and why so many seemed relieved when I told them we were in Washington state.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: dejavroom on January 15, 2007, 10:58:02 am
I want to call people "fancy sons of a bitches from India". And so do you.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: piecewise on January 15, 2007, 12:44:52 pm
Looks like the proprietor of English Speaking Pizza (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02122002) is pretty handy with a soldering iron.

Also, hello.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: jough on January 15, 2007, 01:01:25 pm
Yeah, Onstad is pretty generic with his "foreign guy" patois.

Anyway, this strip is emblematic of why you don't outsource to India, people.  I cannot stress this enough.  When the shoddy quality of work comes back to bite you in the ass, you can save yourself a lot of aggravation by just outsourcing to China from the get-go.  Those little ching-chong fuckers know how to write a motherfuck*ng device driver.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: side_show on January 15, 2007, 02:25:51 pm
As many of you know, I have oodles of stories about call centres, being that I worked at many while putting myself through school.  The shame of this is something I have to live with.  But I do have a story that is only slightly off topic that I would like to share with you.

A friend of mine found himself in the position of being the guy who travelled to foreign lands to train foreign English speakers to do the jobs that his coworkers back in Canada would no longer be doing in the future (side note: we Canadians told callers we were "north of Minneapolis").  One important unit of training is the North American sarcasm unit.  Seems we are a more sarcastic bunch than many other places in the world, and the failure to recognize sarcasm and other mocking inflections of speech is the main problem of out sourcing call centres to India and Asia.  There is a fairly legendary call to the FedEx call centre in India where the American guy says something like " Oh, this is really helping me!" and the agent responds "You're welcome, sir" and this of course enrages the caller, who starts screaming that the agent is "brilliant, fuck*ng brilliant!" and the agent says " you're very kind, sir..." and this goes on for quite a while.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the murdering.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2007, 03:04:51 pm
Smells, you worked for a credit card company right? This might have been beyond your power but is there anyway to lower APR short of signing up a new card that advertises fixed APR?
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 15, 2007, 03:13:21 pm
Next frame: "YOU ARE DONE fuck*ng ME, HAJUL"

Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 15, 2007, 03:44:51 pm
Smells, you worked for a credit card company right? This might have been beyond your power but is there anyway to lower APR short of signing up a new card that advertises fixed APR?

Call your current card and ask to cancel the account.  If they ask if there's anything they can do to retain your business, say "Yeah, lower my interest rate."

Of course, they might also skip that question and go straight to "OK, nice knowing you, bye."  But considering how omnipresent credit card offers are these days, it's probably worth a shot.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: side_show on January 15, 2007, 09:21:57 pm
Smells, you worked for a credit card company right? This might have been beyond your power but is there anyway to lower APR short of signing up a new card that advertises fixed APR?

That's a tricky question, as some cards have an absolutely fixed rate while others do not.  Personally I find the false-threat method unnecessary.  The better way to go, especially if you like your card otherwise is to make yourself sound like a good customer - even if it's not totally true saying "If you are able to lower my interest rate, I will use this card more often/for larger purchases" is the best way to get an honest answer.   

The card I worked for was a fixed rate, and there simply wasn't a way to lower the rate - it was technically impossible without admin privileges, and even then totally illegal and would definitly have resulted in firing - it was a card with very high loyalty points rewards though.  It all balances out.  If you're talking about a card that you will carry a balance on from month to month, I highly recommend a lower interest rate vs points or any other rewards though - it's not worth the expense.

Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: CortJstr on January 16, 2007, 03:58:25 am
The main problem is my safety card that I've had since college. Over the years they upgraded me from the college card to gold to platinum but have left the APR at 19-year-old-with-no-credit-score levels. Since it's my backup I can go months without using it so I'm not sure how much they even want to keep me as a customer.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: AugustWest on January 16, 2007, 05:09:33 am
Why not just close the account and get a new safety card?
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: Lister on January 16, 2007, 06:33:40 am
I have some experience with this India business, as my current company has a "partner" team in India who sometimes are inflicted on various US teams.  Here are the benefits of their work:

1. They cost $2.50 an hour.
2. They are sometimes better at figuring out what someone means than a chatbot would be.
3. They make amusing mistakes*.

That's about it.  Our India team is horribly inefficient, usually ending up costing more than American workers per task accomplished, and if there is any ambiguity they will either a) freeze up and send confusing emails asking questions or b) panic, discarding the two most obvious options and choosing a third, inventively horrible one.  We've learned not to let them do anything that involves an opinion or a judgement call.

*This is only a bonus if you don't have to clean up after it.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: smick on January 16, 2007, 08:05:40 am
you can save yourself a lot of aggravation by just outsourcing to China from the get-go.  Those little ching-chong fuckers know how to write a motherfuck*ng device driver.

That explains the install.exe on some internal software we outsourced.  Its icon is just this FURIOUS lookin' drawing of a ding dong.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: melack on January 16, 2007, 08:17:10 am
Having to deal with the Indian call center for United was probably the closest I have ever come to being a racist person. For the ten or twenty seconds after each call ended, I was filled with all sorts of racist rage. Then I came to my senses.
Title: Re: I quit this phone call! I quit it one thousand times! - January 15 2007
Post by: CortJstr on January 16, 2007, 01:47:22 pm
Why not just close the account and get a new safety card?

Inertia.