The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Limmo on September 25, 2003, 10:26:14 pm

Title: iPods
Post by: Limmo on September 25, 2003, 10:26:14 pm
I was wondering if any of my fellow music obsessives have purchased an iPod, and if so, would you recommend it?

Seems like being able to carry around my entire music collection in my pocket would be the very height of awesomeness.  On the other hand, I'm a Windows user, and $500 is a lot of scratch for me right now.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!
Title: iPods
Post by: CortJstr on September 25, 2003, 11:32:13 pm
I've dreamed of an iPod and did a little research. The biggest problem is that it requires you to use MusicMatch Jukebox ::shudder:: to transer songs. You can use it like a removable harddrive by dragging files in/out of it, but it won't recognize the mp3's as playable unless you add them to your MusicMatch ::shudder:: library.

But if you use Google more than a couple people have come up with way, way better programs that work with the iPod without all the evil of MusicMatch ::shudder: wrapping its tentacles around your system.
Title: iPods
Post by: slink on September 25, 2003, 11:46:09 pm
I've always been slightly put off the iPod. One: because of it's looks. And Two: because there are other mp3 players with far larger drives/ram quantities.
I need to take inordinately large quanitities of music with me when I go away, 'cause I always feel like I might just need that. I usually listen to one thing in the end, but still.
Best thing yet is mp3cd players for cars. I couldn't live without one!
Title: iPods
Post by: andalucia on September 25, 2003, 11:53:46 pm
I dig that it has "pod" in its name.

I call patenting the MusicModule.
Title: iPods
Post by: CortJstr on September 26, 2003, 12:07:07 am
Quote from: "slink"
I've always been slightly put off the iPod. One: because of it's looks. And Two: because there are other mp3 players with far larger drives/ram quantities.
I need to take inordinately large quanitities of music with me when I go away, 'cause I always feel like I might just need that. I usually listen to one thing in the end, but still.
Best thing yet is mp3cd players for cars. I couldn't live without one!


Really? I thought the 40GB iPod was pretty dominant. The fact that it's a removable drive is nice, too.

Also, I forgot to mention that it can only connect via FireWire (IEEE 1394) which most PC's older than 2 years don't have.
Title: iPods
Post by: slink on September 26, 2003, 12:12:12 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Really? I thought the 40GB iPod was pretty dominant. The fact that it's a removable drive is nice, too.


Didn't know there was one that big now! oooooh.
Maybe just prohibitively expensive then...
Title: iPods
Post by: slink on September 28, 2003, 03:41:48 pm
Think this says it all...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030528h.gif